Masters Running

Sunday - 1/10/2016 - I broke my first New Year’s resolution. Have you yet too? (Read 41 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

13.2 miles in a little over three hours that would have been a lot more except Mikemp walked one of the 1.1 mile laps around the Hiratsuka Grand Park with me for the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club's annual New Year's Marathon and Awards Party.

It resulted in breaking another lifetime vow that happened so many times last year, e.g., never, ever in a million years to run in the snow,   never to cycle in the rain or, if I had to, to wear gloves or shoes and socks, etc  For this year, my New Year’s Resolution was not to break any more vows. It didn’t include vowing not drinking alcohol because I never have and never will so how can you vow to not to do something you don’t do anyway?

However, that all changed this morning’ with the little mini-dixie cups about and inch-and-a-half tall filled with what looked like Poccari Sweat energy drink that I like anyway, especially because who can't help but like something made by people who thought connecting it with "sweat" of any kind would make it the best seller it is over here in Japan.
    When I wondered why it was so sweet, they said it was Japanese rice wine sake!  Maybe I was already fuzzy but I thought I saw Mikemp through the haze saying he was glad I warned him because, unlike many of the Joyfuls, he never drinks before running.
    Then, they passed out more little cups of New Year’s rice wine, this time with very visible flakes of gold settled on the bottom to kanpai (skoal) the new year and healthful running and healthful / wealthful living..

I guess I could vow never to do it again, . . . but I won’t.
    I don’t think Mike will either.
    MIke - how was the awards party?

did you get joined up?

how many marathons do you have towards their initial goal of "100 lifetime marathons"?

How many members got certificates for reaching their 1,000th marathon and more marathon in 2015?

ps starr - congratulations on more things than most of us do in our lives.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

coastwalker

Mornin' Tet and those to follow.

No, Tet, I don't think I've broken any of your New Year's resolutions yet, but that depends on what they are: If it is to not break any more vows then I I'm sure I haven't done so, but of course, that depends on what all your vows are. If it is to not break the vow you never made about drinking alcohol, well then, I've broken that on more than one occasion, but never before running (or racewalking).

So Mike makes a wrong turn, goes an extra .4 miles, and still finishes 8th OA and 1st AG? Does he know something we don't know, or is he just that dang fast? Well done, Mike!

JLynne, congrats to DS1 & DIL on their accepted house offer - exciting/terrifying times!

I like that work-life balance coach, Evanflein.

Deeze, We started to tackle cleaning our basement last year, but didn't get all that far. Maybe this'll be the year we get it done.

TW, if you try racewalking on a trail, you'll likely b picking your feet up higher on the forward swing that you'll want to in race conditions. Also, don't roll your shoulders 'cause it's not productive. Keep 'em level and let your arms do the work.

Good job of squeezing in a nice longish run before having the pleasure of watching DD play Bball, Holly.

Sorry about the persistent Achilles problem, Twocat, and the dwindling prospects of doing your Feb. marathon. I hope things turnaround soon.

Looks like a good 18.5 mi. run to return to altitude, WC, and with the bonus of a new friend too!

Congrats on the birth of GS Brock Issac, Starr, and on the Art Center opening featuring your and your family's quilts. Beautiful work!

Congrats on Cindy's new car and your new running shoes, Dave!

Great job on a 21-mi. run you didn't want to do, Mariposai, and nice reward for yourself afterward.

Nice run, Enke. Do you always name your bikes?

I went 11 RW miles in very dense fog and some light rain in 38F temps. My legs were a bit toasted from yesterday's workout, and there just wasn't much to give this morning. It was a genu-ine paperbag workout but I got it done. No manicure or pedicure reward for me, but a nap a little later on would be real nice.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...tet///.......just remember to stop when you have to start attending to Meetings......

darn jay//.......that Arm Swing is definitely The Trick, but this is a  LOT harder than it looks............I can see The Benefits, and still plan on testing it Live this afternoon,

although

I forgot about ICE.............it'll only be 11-degrees with the windchill, and NoWay am I risking a fall on the Ice we got last night

eta-

Congratulations Starr//.....what a Cutie......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I think I might be in the process of breaking a vow to not miss a long run  I don't mind a 3-4 mile run in the rain, but 8-9  in the rain, even if it's aready 47° is NOT doing it for me this moring.  And the radar doesn't look promising.  Oh well, I'm sitting on the couch typing with a nice warm cat in my lap and I don't feel all that bad about it at the moment.

Speaking of DD's and their birthdays, mine celebrated her move back to CA with her 25th yesterday.  Or 1/4 century as she billed it.  Certainly can't say it was a boring 25.

I did do a fast 5K around the lake yesterday before having to head to work to finish off a drawing package I need to take with me on a trip to NJ tomorrow.  Apparently i haven't charged my garmin enough recently so I got shut off part way through, but not before I saw an average pace of 8:40.  I got it to turn on long enough to see the time i finished, so will try to reconstruct it.

Nice quilting and grandson, Starr.  Have to go back to FB and check to see if I liked it there, since I can't here.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Told a Minnesota running buddy of mine that I would cheer for her Vikings now that my Jets didn't make the playoffs, but now I'm thinking that might be a mistake. I'll be in Seattle on business this week and if they lose I don't want to have to listen to them whine.

32 degrees here this morning and it was supposed to be colder out at the Lake, so the Saint and I got 9 in at the local park at around 10:37 pace.  BTW, I saw a post here a week or two ago by EK about one of her long runs at 20 degrees and she averaged 8 to 8:10 per mile. I swear she is getting faster as she ages.  That was a super run by her.

But the good news is that CNYrunner did some charity race a while ago and we sent her a check to support her, and bless her heart, she sent us each a beautiful red wool hat, so of course we wore them today.

Thanks Karin.   Spareribs

Bill Clinton was in our building on Friday, a floor below us doing some fundraising.  I didn't see him, but I could hear him vaguely.  SR - in Seattle again.  If you are ever in need of a lunch companion downtown or up on Capital Hill...just let me know.  I guess I should watch the Seahawks today.

I never name my bikes, but I know Posie does.  But this bike's name IS Gigi "Gigi Elite", and it is a cute name and a pretty bike.  After I get it assembled, I will post a picture on fb.

I had so much fun on my run yesterday, I think I might repeat it.  Sunny cool weather.

Sorry to hear Tet that you broke your non-vows inadvertently.  I think you get a pass for that.

I tend not to make New Years Resolutions - I know myself too well and that I will break them.

Yesterday I set up a new colour printer.  Technology is fun, and just amazing what you can do these days.  Like print remotely from my smartphone.  I also set up a security camera a few weeks ago (I had strong circumstantial evidence my ex had (yet again) helped himself to entering my home while I was out of town - not cool).  Anyway, the camera was fairly easy to set up and I can get motion detection alerts on my email and view the almost live action on my smartphone.  Gotta love that technology has gotten so user friendly that with my short patience for these things, I can use this stuff now.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

Thank you Enke.  Staying at the Fairmont and working at City Center, just an overnight.  Appreciate the offer and I'll remember next time.  Spareribs

Ribs - you and your lovely wife look absolutely stunning in Wisconsin Badger red! Great picture and nice run.

Hope you get that well deserved nap, Jay.

Hmmmm - rice wine with gold flakes? Would love to travel to Japan with you sometime, Tet.

Have you had Gigi out for a test spin yet Enke? Love the name.

It was 9° here this morning with a wind chill well below zero, plus we got an inch of new snow yesterday that had iced over pretty well. Off to the Y for 45 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes of weights and core. I just finished making a pan of lasagna to pop in the oven when the Packer game starts. Kids (and grandkids) are coming over and my DH refuses to be involved in any meal prep when there's a Packer game on. Not feeling real good about this game today, but feeling happy that I'm not sitting outside in Minnesota watching the Vikings/Seahawks game!

Hey Ribs - have you finished the Nextflix series yet? Curious to get your thoughts. And there's some interesting things on Facebook today. One being the entire transcript of Mr. Dassey's interrogation - all 157 pages of it. Our local newspaper had a big story about how all of this is affecting the town of Manitowoc lately. Nasty phone calls, threatening e-mails, etc. Even the Manitowoc Historical Society's website has had negative feedback....

King of PhotoShop

Jlynne, I think we're half done.  I keep waiting for someone to report or post the evidence that the prosecution says they presented that the documentary doesn't show.  I'm at the episode where the judge denies the mistrial. I can certainly understand why the locals are upset.  Spareribs

...ever notice

how FROZEN MUD manages to be Icy and Gooshey at the same time???

I'll be re-scheduling

the Trail RaceWalking Experiment

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Sunny Sunday at Noon

4.5 miles walking with King Leonidas and the rocket scientist

Last night was bridge night at our neighbors. We always play women v. men. 2015 was the Year of the Women. The Men are starting 2016 by dominating the bridge score. My partner and I had a few good hands but they were few and far between. Fortunately, The Men are not bold in their bidding or the score would have been even more lopsided. It was fun nonetheless.

Starr: Congratulations on the new arrival!  What a great birthday to share with Stumpy's DD and Lilmissrosie!

Mariposai  Great 21 miler!  For what race are you training?

Spareribs  You and the Saint look great in your Razorback Red CNY hats!

SpaCityRunner  Did you see what I did there?

MikeE Tell me about the national anthem before the Mississippi Blues marathon, please.

Tetsujin  I kept reading Meinkampf instead of Mikemp. BUT NOW I get it!  Asking Mike if he remembers RCG.  I think he ran my Swamp Run 5K one year!  He used to live down the highway from me.  And your new year beverage consumption sounds nice.

Hi TomWhite and JayWalker!  I hope you get together in real life some time and go for a little walk together.

Deez, please come visit it me and help me purge and organize my house and then my life. Thank you. Also, there is a speedy young lady in our running group who is going to run Boston this year. I told her that my friend sometimes works medical, she said she hopes she doesn't see you.  ha ha. I don't even know if you will be running or be medical staff this year.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

TwoCat I was so sad to read about your doomed running attempt yesterday. You seem pragmatic about your recovery and I had high hopes that the achilles would perform better. I hope that you do get a diagnosis and treatment plan. Can you get a script for physical therapy?

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #957

I also set up a security camera a few weeks ago (I had strong circumstantial evidence my ex had (yet again) helped himself to entering my home while I was out of town - not cool).  

Not cool is right!  Did you change the locks, too?

Tet - watch out for drinks in Dixie cups....

Ribs - great picture!

TomWhite - I find the same with half-frozen snow - you never know when you will break through the crust or slide off the edge.

We got our first snow of the season today, which is bizarre - usually we have a snowstorm at least by November, and sometimes in October, not that I am complaining.  It's only a couple of inches, so not enough to be difficult.  It will be down to 12 degrees tonight.  DD has reached the age (13) where she thinks she does not need a coat, but I expect she may feel she needs one in the morning.  I took her out today and bought her a new coat, black wool - a more grown-up look than the pink and purple coat she wore last year, in hopes that she will actually wear it. 

8 miles for me on the TM today watching Magic Mike XXL.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

No run today but a lot of walking. Got caught in a tropical rain shower which didn't last too long. Cooled down to the high 70's and much less humid. I'm sitting near the beach while Marj does a short run.

Tomorrow (our last day here) we're doing a tour of Key West.

moebo

Tet, my only resolution this year was to try to read at least one novel a month. Almost done with book #1, so I'm still okay.

MikeE, you are amazing.

Starr--congratulations on the new grandson! Love your quilts, too.

Ribs, love that photo! In answer to your question, check out this link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/05/arts/television/ken-kratz-making-a-murderer.html?_r=0

No run for me today--just some elliptical and weights. It was raining really hard this morning, so I'm glad I got my LR done yesterday.