Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 1.26.15 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

TW, if your style of personal service at your store is outdated, then it is a loss for all of us. From my perspective, businesses that offer good customer service really stand out, especially because it is so rare. I don't understand why businesses don't understand that good customer service rarely costs anything except perhaps a bit more time, but it can pay huge dividends to that business.

Robin, that IS the most treacherous phase of healing - when we think that we are completely healed, and we test the limits only to find out that we're not. Good for you for being aware of that.

Nice 15K off a cold, Twocat. Seems it was a decent comeback race, and that you'll be ready for the next one.

I'm sorry to learn about Mr. CNY's mother's declining health. Good for him for being there for her.

Congrats on completing a tough half, Dave. I hate being as cold as you got to be after the race. I hope you made it to Charleston.

Aamos, I'd take being described as "healthy" as a compliment. Don't try to make it something that it's not. Congrats on a good 5K, and to you and DH on your halves.

With snowmageddon coming, we're closing the office tomorrow, and maybe Wednesday morning. I'm canceling/postponing my Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning meetings. Today, I'll bring in more wood for the stove, get a few more batteries for assorted flashlights and headlamps, fill up my gas can, and get the generator out of the garage and ready to go, just in case... The 16"-24" of snow doesn't worry me, but the forecast for winds of up to 55 mph does.

After 2 moderately long workouts over the weekend, and a slog through the snow and slush yesterday, I was glad today was a SRD. I'm looking forward to some snowblower workouts tomorrow and Wednesday.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...thanks jay, I appreciate that.......

....just a quick post to say Heme is Wonderful and could never do anything Evil.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Good morning, all.

The Tour of Sufferlandria continues.  I've ridden two of the stages and will tackle the third tonight after work.

I'm still looking at my running as active physical therapy, rather than as running in and of itself.  I noticed last week during one of my 4'/1' run/walk cycles that I restart each run fresh and square and using my muscles the way the physio wants me to.  So I'm not going to make the workbouts longer this week.  Instead, I'm going to focus on that 'fresh, square' feeling and encourage it.  Besides.  Upping the running while doing ToS would be Just Stoopid.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

TomWhite - what Jay said....

I inadvertantly set my DVR to only keep 3 episodes of Downton Abbey, thereby erasing the episode I was only halfway through.  (Sometimes it takes me a while to get to my shows.)

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Only 5 more weeks until March!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I inadvertantly set my DVR to only keep 3 episodes of Downton Abbey, thereby erasing the episode I was only halfway through.  (Sometimes it takes me a while to get to my shows.)

Holly - you can stream Downton Abbey on PBS.org

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly - you can stream Downton Abbey on PBS.org

Excellent - thanks!  I will look for that tonight.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

Awaiting the blizzard I ran 5 in a wind chill of 6- so I didn't get MMTD- but it felt good. Doubt if I'll get many more runs in before we leave for Arizona next Tuesday. We'll probably get the snowshoes out tomorrow.

Slo

We had a "Winter Event" yesterday that left us with a few inches yesterday. A treadmill day for me.

Tomorrow we begin the yearly weighloss challenge here at work. This is the first time I've ever joined in. I've rasied a few eyebrows...

My goal is to lose 10 lbs during the 9 weeks. I need to make MyFitnessPal a regular stop now.

Today I am in deny myself nothing mode.

Tomorrow we begin the yearly weighloss challenge here at work. This is the first time I've ever joined in. I've rasied a few eyebrows... Today I am in deny myself nothing mode.

Those of you in the path of the storm - good luck!  I'll be thinking of you as we're having sunny mid-60's weather this week.

Actually, the nice weather here sucks.  We REALLY REALLY need the rain.   Not to mention at least two ski resorts in NorCal haven't opened yet because there's on snow pack.  And no snow pack means, once again, no water when what little is there melts.

Cat issues from about 1:15 on kept me in bed this a.m. instead of getting up to work out.  That's okay, though.  It's a cutback week (and I'm ready!), and I had a bit of a workout yesterday morning working with The Hub for about 1.5 hrs.  Mowin' and blowin'.  I was a sweaty mess by the end.  Figure wrangling a mower and swinging a blower around counts as a workout.

Have good week, friends ~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave, good racing in your cold and icy half.  Aamos, nice 5K and half.

Nice long runs (and race walks) for mari, fatozzig, Jay, Tramps, Cny, evan, and Holly.

Last night, I didn't sleep well.  I got up feeling beat up.  The temperature was in single digits.  I hopped on the TM at 5.4 mph (11:06 pace) and gave up after 3 miles.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Robin, if you can resist the temptation to dial it up as soon as you are feeling better, you have a lot more self-control and patience than I do! I'm still making the same mistakes over and over.

Ribs, I really like most of the Science of Sport articles, although sometimes they get way too technical. But did you read the one on why they think that the sub-2-hour marathon is a lot farther off than people seem to think -- if it's possible at all?

TW, the situation is that if I add up all my current out-of-pocket drug costs doing it the way I've been doing it, the total is less than just the deductible on my drug plan! I know that this means that the drug plan is worth zero to me right now. but I look at it as insurance in case I
                         suddenly need a really high-priced medication.

You know, I'm really not sure what kind of striker I am, but I guess it's mid-foot since I don't think I land on my heel -- or at least not hard on my heel. My stride is also shorter than it used to be, so that probably has something to do with it.

Did my usual Monday routine of going to a spinning class and then driving a Meals on Wheels route. I always like going into the last house on my route. It's an elderly woman living alone and walking into her house just makes me feel like a little kid walking into my grandmother's house. I almost said "Hi, grandma!" to her today. It's as neat as a pin with dishes and tasteful knick-naks in the cabinets, all in a really cozy little bungalow.

Unfortunately they canceled the spinning for next month due to lack of attendance even though the last two weeks it has been full. Seems unfair to judge attendance in the period going from Thanksgiving to New Year when everyone is traveling or otherwise busy.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Yeah--good luck to all of you out east.  It sounds like this is going to be a big one.  It seems like storms are getting more intense all the time, now.  I'm sure that means the end of life on earth is near...or something...

With so many of you dealing with serious things going on in your lives and actual injuries, I have not wanted to come on here and complain about my little aches and pains...but, now...my little ache has turned into something I can no longer ignore.  My Achilles started hurting again about 3 weeks ago and I have just been ignoring it--hoping it would just go away--like it has been when it has started hurting again over the last couple of years.  Well, Saturday, I went for a 14 mile run that I was determined to run at a 7:15 pace.  And, even though my heel was sending stabbing pains up my leg with every step, I kept fighting through it and ended up with an overall pace of 7:09.  I knew I was being stupid...and I knew my stride was not my normal stride...and I knew I was going to be sore the next day...and I was correct on all accounts.  Not only is my heel hurting, but my whole calf is so sore, I can't walk without limping even when I concentrate and really try to walk normal.

So...I guess, I'm on the shelf for a few days.  Man, I hate this!

And, since I'm complaining about my ailments--my right shoulder has been hurting for over 2 months!  AND I keep getting headaches. AND I keep getting the worst cramps in my legs, at night, that send me flying out of bed to walk them off.   It's a good thing I'm in such good shape, or I'd be a physical mess.

Okay--I'm done--thanks for listening--lunch was over 10 minutes ago--gotta go!  See ya!

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Afternoon!

So I'm looking forward to lots of snow photos on FB from all my NE friends.  I watched a news story about the weather recently and totally remembered what's it like driving on ice (used to commute about 20 miles over the Bershires when I worked in Pittsfield, and had to drive to our various offices to check on my AmeriCorpsters).  Stay warm and well.

Mike!  Yikes, I'm the eejit who does stuff like that.  I really do feel something very close to your pain (the peroneal tendon is right next tot he Achilles).  There is no magic bullet, I know that, but I've been taking Bromelain (it's a natural enzyme that coems from pinneapple) to help heal.  I've read that a bum tendon can resemble a frayed rope and when the fraying end rub against the tendon sheath, it hurts.  Supposedly, the Bromelain snacks away on the frayed ends so the tendon heals a bit better.  Good luck.

Holly (or any of you who works out)--so I tried this wall exercise where you make like a chair, using the wall for your back.  I think you're supposed to hold the pose for a minute and do sets of this.  It's good for your legs, and since my conditioning is shot, I thought this would be a good simple one to try.  Wowee, can I feel it in my thighs, and especially in the thigh of the hurt ankle.  Ouch!  (but in a good way.)  Do you do this one?

(And I prolly should be much more planful in recovery, like Mustang Sally .)

Just finished Little Bee, by Clive Cleave, and once again am stunned at how a well-written novel can bring home history and politics in a way that straight news can't.  This one concerns a Nigerian refugee.   Very good book and a quick read.

Did the Pats get out of town in time?

Good luck Slo, altho men seem to lose weight way more easily than do wimmens. You'll probably lose more than 10!

O Jay, thanks, but you are so nice, I bet you can't imagine how snarky some people can be.  It's all good and I am truly gleeful to be running again.

Yes, just like "GLEE," I sometimes just break out in song as I run down the lane......so wear your earplugs, SW FL!

Anyone already viewed or going to be looking for the asteroid? Asteroid

Happy rest of Monday!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mike E

MM #5615

Did the Pats get out of town in time?

Yes, they did...but I heard they had to deflate the tires before the plane could take-off...

Here in the north-east we are doomed!  Doomed I tell you!  I have been watching the news and they say this will be the worst storm ever!  Yes, in the whole history of the planet!  Aghhhhhh!!!!  Mostly, we just need to do what coastwalker said to worry about; the high winds.  That could knock out power around here for some time.  If it happens my DW and I will have to abandon the house since we will not have any water either. With well below freezing temperatures we need to shut the main valve off to prevent the pipes from freezing and bursting.  We have various options for where to stay if that happens.

Mike E rest up and you will get better quick.  Patience is more than a virtue, it is restorative.

In cooking news:  Last night I tried a new recipe.  Mashed potatoes with celery root and horseradish.  Phenomenal recipe.  You can get it at http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Potato-and-Celery-Root-Mash-368964.  Best of all the celery root means you have an added source of nutrients and one that cuts down on the calories you normally find in mashed potatoes!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/