Masters Running

Friday January 16 Only-9-Weeks-Till-Spring Runs (Read 436 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! I had a little extra time because I’m taking the puppy to the vet for shots this morning, so I managed 3 miles on the TM, followed by app. 30 minutes weights and abs. -14 degrees here, and kids' schools are on a 2 hour delay (again), so DD will be heading to the vet with me. No late-night calls, though, which is nice.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

A very long day for me yesterday - training in Portland so I didn't get a chance to post my run: Thursday - 11.01 miles (wave run) - 1:28:10 - Sunny & 12 degrees. 8:35 - 8:45 - 7:32 - 8:17 - 7:33 - 8:15 - 6:51 - 8:15 - 6:51 - 8:16 - 8:45 - :10 It was -20 degrees when I left my house for work this morning... Shocked ... still doesn't beat out Erika's -27 though!! Luckily we don't get these arctic blasts that are this cold all that often, it's cold here in the winter but this is ridiculous. 5 easy recovery miles for me later today, have a great day everyone.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Maine... - 20! wow! Coldest day here so far this winter but probably mild comapred to many of you. It was 14F here in Raleigh-Durham. Left some water trickling all night to prevent pipes in the attic from freezing. No problems. Too bundled with 6 lbs clothes to do tempo pace so I ran 10 miles GA with 5 MP miles in the middle in 1:23:53 (8:13, AHR 156) 14F and too bundled (wayover did it Tongue)--- mug, tights, sweats, tee, long sleeve tee, Boston jacket,scarf,2 hats (1 skull, one knit), glove liners and gloves. (Jacket was drenched with some chunks of ice after the run). It was like running overweight in the summer (but with a frozen face)..meh .....And I passed my neighbor running in shorts, long sleeve tee and hat...geesh.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hi Holly - Bob - Steve...and everyone else that shows up today. Burrrr, like Holly, it is 15 below 0 here with the wind chill at 30 below zero...yikes, that's cold. My car only BARELY started, but thank goodness it did. After this cold snap, the temps are suppose to moderate to about normal highs and lows. I have to admit though, that during my "non" run...I was comfy warm out thereRoll eyes Yesterday I was really super sick ( the feeling like I had been run over by a truck kinda sick), but I had to work any ways. With my position at work...with no one helping me in my office, I really can't miss work. Which is ok because I have not missed a day in about 8 to 10 years (yes I am one of those people), and I never get sick...but did this year I sure did. But I actually completely blame my being sick on Tamster. She said Monday - I think, that my sickness was to keep me from running when I shouldn't be yet. Ok Tammy, I promise not to run for a while now, so would you please take the sickness hex off of me TongueBig grin Well, being sick I didn't read the daily much yesterday, so I will try and get caught up on how everyone is doing. Hey, where has my Tapering Buddie Tet been? Hey Buddie, with you around helps me better with not running when maybe I would. I have not counted days lately. but I have not ran now going on 11 weeks. TwoKitty, you told me this yesterday "Just keep track from week to week and not from when you got hurt to now. Eventually you will be better than ever" That's actually the approach I have been taking for a while now...thanks! Happy TGIF....and stay warm if you live in an Ice Box area today. Great BIG hugs to all that are sick - injuried - and cold this morning Smile TimBo...feeling a little better today, but only a little at this point.

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Wow, everyone. Keep warm out there and watch those outdoor runs. Erika may be used to them, but many of you are not. Last time I was in Holly's neck of the woods it was -19F, windchill of -70F or some other ridiculous number. This morning I ran 9 miles at a comfortable GA pace of 8:46 overall. Miles 6 through the end were at MP. The "out" portion was a bit hard as the North wind is/was howling. Made up for it in the "in" portion. Whee! Average HR at a scary low 143. I wish I could bottle this up for, say, August or September. Gotta find a spring race somewhere .... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Hill Runner

Good morning folks, It's a little nippy here this AM but nothing like other parts of the country...I didn't run but I might run tonight if I get home at a reasonable hour...I already logged my 40 miles for the week Smile Stay safe today and good runs to everyone.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Tramps

Impressive temps out there. Brrrrrr. Sarge--beautiful photo gallery! Karin--good to have you back. Maybe your handle should now be AbsOfSteelRunner? Wink 7.1 miles today @ 8:07. A little fast for an easy day; trying to get home before anything froze off. 15F, which is a balmy 65 Erika degrees (just add 50 to F). Nice little ice beard, though. Stay warm folks!

Be safe. Be kind.

Perch I will make a deal with you. I will consult you on how to be a better runner and you can consult me on how to dress appropriately for colder temps. Wow that was a lot of clothing! Makes your run more impressive. Good rule of thumb is to dress for temps 20 degrees warmer than the actual temp. 3 slow easy TM miles last night, then a visit to the hospital where my Dad is doing better. Doctors have determined he suffered a stroke but is recovering.
                  Slo

Good Morning Everyone and TGIF ! Glad yesterday is behind me. A couple of good runs here the last few days. Both on the treadmill........I think I'm getting soft ! Normally I wouldn't consider the treadmill but I've logged several miles on them here in the past few weeks. Yesterdays temp was -16 f, right now it is -27 f. I've run in -13.......it didn't bother me too much but it does take a certain HTFU factor. My profile pic was taken after a -6 f run. Tonights plan is a 2 mile warm up......2 x 10min at 10k pace and 2 mile cool down. I really love running at my 10k pace.......it feels like a "cruise" interval. Just kinda on auto pilot. It's the pace that brings on the Zen experience for me. Now.....will that happen on the treadmill? Roll eyes It may depend on how cute the neighboring treadmill user is ! Big grin Happy Runs to everyone !

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Okay, I guess I better not complain about our 7 degrees with -2 windchill. Last night I did 30 minutes of yoga followed by a created by me treadmill workout. I know I'm slow - but at least I'm doing it. First mile was a mixture of 3% - 5% hill work. 11:45 m/m 2nd mile was just plain running at 1% incline - 11 m/m 3rd mile was a brisk walk up hill. 1/4 mile at 3%, 1/4 mile at 5%, 1/4 mile at 3%, 1/4 mile at 7% - 15 m/m 4th mile running at 1% incline - 11 m/m Husband walked in and busted me running with the window wide open. Put another log on the fire! Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

I know I'm slow
                        OK Mary, I am going to let you off with a warning this one time, instead of a fine. But you or NO ONE else is slow, we are all runners If you don't think I am serious, just ask Holly...Wink TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Okay, I guess I better not complain about our 7 degrees with -2 windchill.
                          That's about what my conditions were like 3.1 miles, 29:18, 9:23/mi, AHR 130 9°F, with wind chills below 0. I dressed right so it was no problem, but I think it took longer for me to dress than it took for me to run Roll eyes But I'm not complaining.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mariposai

No running for me today, but I am looking forward to a day of downhill skiing up in Canada. Ready to chase the silviculturist down the moguls, trees and glades...it should be a fun adventure. Have a great day folks and keep worm.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

It's supposed to be in the 50's today in Denver, so I hope this warm front reaches those of you further east very soon! I've run in single-digit temps but never below zero, although I have gone skiing when it was below zero. But that wasn't too fun and I don't really recommend it! Deez4boys - hope your surgery goes well today. Tim, get well soon! Sorry you have to go to work when you feel carpy. Mary, We don't need to tell Tim, but I agree there is such a thing as a slow runner - I speak from personal experience! After I read about your 3rd mile walking uphill at various settings, I calculated what the slope of the big hill is near my house - it's 300 ft gain in 0.7 miles. That works out to an average over 8%. And some of it's not so steep, so that means some of it is much steeper. I think I've only ever "run" the whole thing four or five times in the 3 years I've been running - I usually walk up the steeper parts. And I put run in quotes, because I have to do a very very slow shuffle jog in order to keep running at all, and I can walk faster! Looking forward to running in shorts at lunchtime! (Come and get me, Twokitty!)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

dg.

Nancy, have a wonderful time! Maybe more pictures? Sarge, your pictures were beautiful. Holly, that's really cold for down south, isn't it? Craneium, that's wonderful news about your Dad. I mean... a stroke isn't wonderful, but that he's recoverying is. slo_hand... you are getting soft. Roll eyes set a good example for the rest of us, ok? Mary, does that mean we warm up next??? -13F when I left for the gym. -12 now. -29 windchill. This is the second day of this kind of temp, & each day just before I got home I drove by someone running down the road with ice all over her face!! looks youngish, I was tempted to kidnap her & thaw her out. Anyway. good for you toughing it out on the TM. with an open window. Wink. Carolyn.... I think Twocat's going to have help! it was challenging enough just getting to the gym, without even thinking about running out there. i am definitely a wimp. 3.22 recovery miles, 9:47 pace. Should have probably gone a little more slowly but it wasn't bad. Still sore though. 25 min. on the elliptical, upper body weights & stab. ball reverse crunches.