Masters Running

BOSTON RUNNERS (Read 136 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

After being at meeting all morning, by the time I got around to our current master’s board for the only Boston Marathon update that’s ever meant anything to me for nearly ten years, the nearly-ninety posts were so many I could hardly wait to see if Rib’s had won it or, at worst, had sprained his ankle or collapsed or something trying to keep up to ilene.  I could never have guessed this.  
    Though local radio stations typically mispronouce the winners’ names for a couple of hours every Patriot’s Day, there’s never any local running coverage but now several radio stations are having non-stop, commercial-free feeds from WBZ in Boston, local runners’ interviews and status,, etc.

So sad.

So sorry.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

This senseless tragedy makes me angry too.  I just watched the news a bit and still can't believe it.  I am so glad that there was an ER doctor within 20 feet of the blast.  I am also glad that they the PBJ family was not there where they usually are.  I think Robin's family is usually there, but are on vacation this year.  My prayers go out to all the runners, spectators, volunteers and news media.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Sans

I'm so shocked and saddened by today's news and very relieved to now learn that all the people I know who were there running or supporting others and/or volunteering are all okay.  So very sad that people lost their loved ones in what should be a joyful day.

Chris (SS)

#artbydmcbride

Fast forward and I are okay. They didn't let us finish but we are safe

Runners run

TammyinGP

Thanks Ilene - so glad that you and the mister are okay and together.

I heard that some of the Sandy Hook families were in the VIP area, I assume near the finish, when this happened. I cannot even imagine the trauma they must feel - reliving such violence and nightmare.

Tammy

What a terrible thing to happen.  As a few others have expressed, I feel very angry and want to see some sort of retaliation.  My rational mind, however, tells me we don't know who to be angry with or retaliate against.  My heart goes out to those injured and/or traumatized.  I am grateful that our RA people are ok.

TomS

Rondog65

Words escape me, but my thoughts and prayers go out to all who are suffering from this senseless and shameless act of violence.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Top 'O the World!

Finally found a fb post that ArlaHile & friends are all okay!! Smile

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                  OrangeMat

MM #6177

Unless I'm mistaken, Arla Hile is still unaccounted for. She was there as a spectator. I'm still in shock over all this....

Top 'O the World!

Esther - Arla's friend posted on her fb page that they were all okay....hoping Arla herself pops in soon

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                      OrangeMat

MM #6177

Esther - Arla's friend posted on her fb page that they were all okay....hoping Arla herself pops in soon

Oh thank god!

coastwalker

I was working in coral #6 at the start, and saw so many happy, excited runners this morning. Some were nervous, but you know that it was in a good way that precedes a race. There ware a lot of big smiles, high-fives, and excited conversation. I met people who were running their first Boston, and I told them what a treat they had ahead of them. The weather was great, with peeks of sun that made everybody feel good. As each of the 3 waves went by, we were clapping and cheering, and trying to make everyone feel good about being there, and about the wonderful race that lay ahead of them.

It wasn't until I finished my job, drove back home, got back to my day job, and got a call from my nephew in NY to find out if I was OK that I had a hint that something went wrong in Boston. Now, after seeing all the news reports I am angry like so many others are, but mostly I am unbelievably sad that some twisted soul could find a way to justify this terrible deed that has killed people, ruined some lives forever, and brought terrible sadness and anguish to so many on what should have been a joyful day.

On the other hand, I've read the posts here and on FB, and am heartened by how much so many people who barely know each other have been worried about each other, and have been eagerly sharing when they got the news about someone being safe from this horrible event. It reminded me that we are so much more than runners and walkers, that we are caring people in the very best sense of the word, and that had brought me some comfort on this terrible day. And for that, I am unspeakably grateful to you all for just being yourselves.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Hi everyone - thank you all so much for your care and concern.  I am so unbelievable sad right now that something so awful could happen at what started off as such a joyous event.  Ribs and I hung out together just after we were stopped at mile 25.5 - my husband and kids were there and they were finally able to text Louise that Ribs was with us and safe.  So far, all my running and triathlon friends are physically safe.

My mom, sister, nieces, my dh and sons & gf were all within eyesight of the bombs going off - they are all freaked out.  Feel so bad - my mom was a mess with fear and worry.   Thank you again .... lots more praying going on here!!    Goodnight. xoxo

Nancy - sorry I couldnt answer your text - my phone is still with the rest of my stuff with my running group - a good friend, my "running husband" should be dropping it by on his way home.  xo

denise

mrrun

On the other hand, I've read the posts here and on FB, and am heartened by how much so many people who barely know each other have been worried about each other, and have been eagerly sharing when they got the news about someone being safe from this horrible event. It reminded me that we are so much more than runners and walkers, that we are caring people in the very best sense of the word, and that had brought me some comfort on this terrible day. And for that, I am unspeakably grateful to you all for just being yourselves.

Jay

Thank you Jay for putting into words what so many of us are feeling,

marj

+1

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me