Masters Running

Fri Mar 28 Runs and Workouts (Read 556 times)

Good morning, everyone. Ready for the weekend? The weather report last night said 20% chance of rain, and low of 52F. I was feeling smug when I woke up and put on shorts and a short sleeve shirt. But when I looked at the thermometer, it was 41F. Darn! Long sleeve shirt it is... 3 mile recovery run, some of which run with PDR. She's still out there doing her long run for the week -- DD1 is coming into town and she wanted to get that over with before the weekend. I, on the other hand, am not such a good planner. Workout: 2.1 miles, 9:02/mi, AHR 134 Overall: 3.1 miles, 28:47 Have a great weekend -- best of luck to the racers.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I left the long sleeved running shirts in the drawer ... 6.1 easy GA miles this morning in 55 minutes. After a warm up mile, 2 miles at 9:00 and 3 miles at 8:50. I felt solid today. Average HR only 137. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

OOPS I started too. gotta figure out how to delete it now. I wanted a nice hard workout but keep injury free. I'm skipping races these last few weeks so I decided on a 12 mi GA run with tempo miles alternating for the last 10 miles. That worked out great. Target was to alternate 8:00 and 7:30 miles. After a 2.2 mi wu with Tory at 8:30 pace, tge 10 mi wo was: 7:29, 7:51, 7:33, 7:56, 7:27, 7:58, 7:38, 8:00, 7:23, 8:00 Wore the fuel belt and drank every 2 miles to practice drinking at MP (8:00) 12.2 mi in 1:35:52 (7:51, AHR 157)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! No run for me today – light x-training instead (upper and core only): dumbbell curls, lateral raises, push-ups, bench dips, butterflies, and a 14-minute ab/core video. I’m stuck at the last minute without a babysitter today, so DD, age 5, otherwise known as “Typhoon Sarah” is coming into work with me. My boss, the elderly lady attorney, will be soooo thrilled. Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Dave59 has a grand daughter!!!!! Sweet!!!! Is she a runner??? Holly, Send DD up this way. Between myself, DS, DD# 1 & 2 and DS, we'd keep her entertained. We've got more than 30 hours of Batman movies plus cartoons. BTB, it's ok to receive once in a while. It lets some one else feel the same joy we do when we give. I didn't run again yesterday, but I am finally starting to come around. I did some cold selling yesterday and one prospect wants me to meet his district manager. It may have been the green tights. (John Deere Green)

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #3309

Happy TGIF everyone Smile Well, at least the temperatures are starting to moderate for a lot of folk....decideing between short sleeve and long sleeve. Nice runs already this morning, and Holly's X training...good luck at work today with your DD Smile 6.8 easy miles late last night, and my quads were soooo sore. I rode 45 miles Weds with a cycling bud, so I thought last night would be a more comfortable run. I have decided there is something not quite right with me, and it's really hard to put my finger on it. I have gone down hill the last couple of weeks, but I can't tell what's wrong with me. I have an appointment with my doctor this coming Monday, which I am looking forward to for some answers....I hope. I have had some issues with depression in the past when I went through a nasty divorce I didn't want, and have to admit I kind of have some of those feelings and symptoms now....for really no good reason other my running is not going well at all....running and cycling keeps those depressive feelings away very nicely for me...better than any drug!! Oh well, I will keep everyone posted....have a 20 miler planned tomorrow that I really want to do, but I will have to wait and see how I feel. Have a great day all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hill Runner

Good morning all, 55F here already this morning. 8.08 miles of hills @ 9:10 pace.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Happy Friday, all! Lou - yes, I am so ready for the weekend! Bill - nice to be running in short sleeves again, huh? Evanflein - I share the same foot size issues. My right foot is a full size larger than my left. When I started running I was a size 10, but with all of the pounding, I have gone up a full shoe size. I usually can't find a women's size 11, so I've defaulted to men's size 10. The Nimbus VII's were the last model before Asics started doing widths in this line. I need a wider toe box, and the 8 and 9 regulars have been too narrow while the wide has been too wide. The Asics salesman at the Disney marathon expo showed us (taunted us) the Nimbus 10 - it's looks a little like the Kinsei. I can hardly wait as I'm currently running my last pair of hoarded VII's. Steve - yep, I'll bet it was the green tights ;-). This was the first morning all week that I woke up before 5:00 and didn't feel like death warmed over. Temp was somewhere around 40 and not raining, so I opted for a 6 mile out and back, relatively flat run. I saw a pair of ospreys fishing for breakfast - what magnificent birds! I heard turkeys gobbling as well but didn't see them. The first 3 miles were carpy, but the rest weren't too bad. I think I'm starting to win the battle with this pesky virus. Good runs and a good weekend to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Nothing moderating here: three inches of fresh snow (again!) this morning. Sad Here's a poem from a local running newsletter that really captures it for those of us nursing injuries. Not being good with poetry, I had to read it over a couple of times to fully get it, but substitute "hamstring" for "achilles" and it sure sums it up for me: ======================== PURGATORY ======================== A satin sun strains, extending frigid fingers to slumbering soil My cold consciousness unfolds, as devouring darkness dominates the dawn I hear mute birds sing a song of silent emptiness, As they serenely struggle to spark spirits, void of voice The stillness of calm slowly releases ripples trembling with tension Thoughts once solidly stable, now forlornly frail, twist in turmoil Patience and personality suffer, as deep distraction rumbles without rest An open soul hole, leaking lingering feeling of man incomplete… My achilles sits sullen amid functioning friends, derelict and deviant I am partially deceived by my self until I’m whole -- Ian Forsyth ============================= 2 miles at a very easy pace on the TM this morning. Good runs to everyone today and this weekend.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Good TGIF Boomers. Rest day today in anticipation of an 11 miler tomorrow. I ruled out the half marathon race as I'm not sure I'm ready for a hilly course. I can always change my mind (they take last minute entries) but I'm not feeling real confident about my training up to this point. Wow - Doug. What a powerful poem. I think every runner can relate to the feelings expressed there. Great runs Bill (the Energizer Bunny), Perch and my favorite running couple, WRFB and PDR. Welcome back, Sue. Glad you're feeling better. I did get my new pair of Nimbus IX's yesterday and will try them out tomorrow. I love those shoes - it's like putting on a pair of bedroom slippers, even the first time you wear them. I don't know why I tried another brand. I have a narrow foot but like the extra room in the toe box on the Asics. I also go up a whole shoe size for my running shoes. If I don't do that, I end up with those attractive black toenails (sorry, more info than anyone wanted, I know). Holly - good luck with Typhoon Sarah today. You're lucky you can take her with you when an emergency situation comes up. Hope all is well with the packing, moving and inspections. Biketm, hang in there. I think we all have days when we don't feel like we're running on all cylinders (mentally and physically). I hope the doctor can offer some advice or help you figure out what could help. CNY Runner mentioned an article in the NY Times yesterday about the runner's high. It was really interesting. If you get the opportunity, read it. Laundry day and it's almost 40F. First time to hang sheets on the clothesline this season! Good Friday runs, everyone. Jeanne
                        There. It's done. My last 20 miler- let the taper begin. Now I can enjoy the weekend with dawndaughters who will both be home this weekend to bring joy to my mommy heart. I haven't seen Amanda since she came to watch us at Hartford in October - and after this weekend we'll get to see her again in Boston. Yay! My Garmin got knocked off the charger somehow yesterday, so it wasn't fully charged and went completely dead at about 18 miles. Fortunately I was close enough to home that I'm pretty confidant of the distance. So - approximately 20 miles in approximately 3:28 at an approximate pace of 10:24. I like precision, so I find this a just little unsatisfying. Beautiful baby Dave! Good luck with the Typhoon, Holly. BikeTim - I hope your doctor can help you out. Keep us posted. btb: what Steve said.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

GreenMan

4 miles yesterday and 7 miles day before. Today, a bit of work, drive 3 hrs, camp for tomorrow's HM at Sedalia, Va. All my parts seem to be working as well as they have all year. My only concern is how much fitness I may have lost in the last 6 weeks of slack time. We'll find out tomorrow Big grin jjj
                          Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                          dg.

good morning everybody, I'm so glad you all are being careful. injury free Perch. I like it. Tim, take care of yourself. Holly, have a wonderful morning. Wink belated happy anniversary, Peter. go green tights! on to yesterday.. Doug, doesn't that (another setback) just make you crazy? me too. seems that we should be able to avoid that. but noooo. Anyway. I'm glad you're not hurting overall. I really hope the time off you were talking about (or am I making that up?) helps. thanks Sue -). are you any better? thanks Erika... I'm so glad you said that. it's something I really worry about. I never mean what I say as a complaint (well, maybe about the hawk!), it's more just reflecting the process of trying to figure this out. but I don't know how it comes across. that was probably reason #4. more that than the happy runs. I love the happy runs. I experience runner's lust regularly driving around, especially lately. (um, as I pass runners... ) i have to stop myself from pulling over & rolling down & window & giving them a bit WTG!! Big grin I also miss DH & Tramps & TB. and many more. {{{btb}}} this morning, PIlates workout #2 & a yoga abs dvd. sending sun & snow in all your directions. it's so pretty.
                            btb1490

Happy Friday to you, master friends! Again, thank you so much to everyone for your encouraging words and gestures. I really, really appreciate them all! from yesterday... lyndenrunner- I have some great yoga routines on DVD that I do at home. I record them from my on demand cable service. I'd be more than happy to make copies for you and send them your way if you'd like. rochrunner- I see you told Deb that you are still hurting. Sad Are you at least still keeping up with the PT sessions? And where are you going on vacation? Details please. Mariposai- I draw a lot of inspiration from you, and that incredible run you took back home. I don't think you realize the importance of that run. What an exciting time and opportunity for your son! You should be very very proud of him, and of YOURSELF for raising such a strong person, and giving him the wings to fly on. Hopefully that is some consolation to the emptyness you are feeling in your heart right now. My best to him and to you, Mariposai. Ribs- Amy has done way more for me than I have done for her, you got that so right. Great poem! Are you gonna go for a lucky "7" with your running? Sounds like you had a good one yesterday. Sort of related to your work jokes, in college my economics professor shows up for class one day all disheveled and exhausted looking. He said "You know it's going to be a bad day when you show up to your office 15 minutes early, and the first thing your secretary does is yell at you "where the hell have you been???"" Craneium- good to hear you're enjoying some nice spring weather and having some good runs. Ooops, I spoke too soon... giant snowflakes have returned I see. enke- no run report from you yesterday? You've been tired lately, I hope everything is ok. SueT- Smile Thank you! Tammy- thanks for the run update, I'm glad it was a good one for you. I guess you just needed to shake the cobwebs out. SO you're a fellow voodoo follower! I'm glad it works for you. I personally find it very relaxing, and have fallen asleep many times during treatments. Thank you very much for the kind words. One of the best things about this forum is the inspiration we get from each other. Each and every person here is amazing. Keep up the great work! I can't wait for your race! evanflein- congrats on your son passing his driving test! I think... now he can haul you around all over the place for a change! Hang in there with your weather! You are amazing with what you deal with, yet you get the job done no matter what. Jeanne- I see Mary pointed out the link to you. It's in my signature line. Thanks for wanting to check it out! If you go there, there is another link to Amy's personal website. I can't help but get teary eyed everytime I go there. If you have sound on your computer, there is some very nice music playing. Thank you! Shoot, $650 for 6 months of insurance in NY would be unheard of! That would be the quarterly rate here... hopeful4ever- Smile vista- I can feel the warm sun shining on you from your post. And you're right, life sure is an adventure. Teresa- beautiful run yesterday. The more you get in shape, the more ground you can cover, and the more sights you will be able to see! I'm glad the couple of days off did the trick for you. BCMorant- how has a 150 heartrate felt exertion-wise in the past? As you get in better shape you will be able to do more work for a given heartrate. Thank you for the kind words and prayers, that little girl and her family really need them. dtoce- glad to hear you are running well! deez4boyz- prayers to your friends daughter. Sad If it helps, a friend of mine just conquered a brain tumor through a program at Duke University. Nice double workout yesterday! If you include work, then it was a triple workout. Is there a triathlon in your future perhaps? charleygross- what level is your daughter in lacrosse? I help out with a girls 6th grade team, we start practice next week. Great sport! Good job getting your run in! PJH- OUch on your run yesterday. Those long tempo runs are the hardest workouts in my opinion. WEll done! runningindc- how are the sneakers working out at work? ANy comments from anyone yet? Yumm, chicken soup! Thank you for the well wishes. The same back to you! Smile eliz- progress on your runs! Nice! It's good to hear you've joined a group too. Nothing like other flesh and blood runners to keep you motivated. stumpy- Sad with your shins. I'm glad you got them checked out though. I was gonna suggest the biking too, its a great compliment to running, and a great lower leg workout without the pounding. Saddle up! Don't disappear on us please, keep us posted with your progress! And please listen to the doctor, we want to see you running again as I'm sure you do too. from today... WRFB- that'll teach you to believe the weather forecast! Do your daughters know yet that they are hosting the gathering in Boston, or are all these people just gonna start showing up at her house unbeknownst to her? Wink breger- yesterday you were Joe Friday, today you are Lincoln Hayes (solid). I detect a police theme here. perchcreek- good deal practicing the drinking at the specific intervals, I try to do the same to mimic the race. Well done as always. Holly- good luck at work today! A TV with a DVD player works well in those situations, I hope you have one there. SteveP- John Deere Green, in honor of drive your tractor to work day yesterday? Sounds like you'll be back to running soon, and I hope one of these job prospects means you be back to working soon too! But does that mean you won't be able to post as much? biketm- happy TGIF to you too! I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles. Springtime is usually an uplifting time, so something is definitely out of whack. I really glad you made that appointment on Monday, and yes, keep us posted. I look forward to your posts every day. Feel better, Tim! Hey, with your new keyboard, you'll be able to post this weekend, right? Smile Peter- nice temps for your run! SueT- I'm glad you don't feel like death today! Wink Even though you are feeling better, don't rush back too quickly and relapse, ok? The cold and virus season seems to have been really bad this year and tough to get rid of those buggers. Cool about the ospreys! I saw a male/female combo in their nest on my bike ride the other morning. You are so right, what majestic birds! You have a good weekend too! rochrunner- unbelievable with the snow. Wish there was a way for you to ship it off to antarctica where they need it. What a sad poem. Yes, running is very important to all of us, but we can't let it consume us or define us. Good to hear you got a run in Doug. Hang in there please. Good thoughts heading your way. Jlynne- nothing like the smell and feel of line dried sheets! Wise decision on the half marathon, better safe, and injury free, than sorry! Good luck with your 11 miler tomorrow, you're getting up there! Smile PDR- I'm surprised you didn't just come to a complete stop when your garmin died out there! Wink Sometimes I think that garmins run us instead of the other way around. Big time congrats on getting your last 20 miler in and making it to taper time!! I'm really excited for you! Have a great weekend being mommy again! Smile JJJ- glad to hear you are back at it again and feeling good! Can't wait to hear about your weekend adventure. Best of luck to you and have fun! Somehow I know you'll do just fine. dg- I'm always happy to see a post from you. Don't make us gather up the knights and come looking for you, ok? Sarge- is your wife's race this weekend? nonoruns- how are you feeling today? The weather forecast looks great for your race this weekend! I need to add one more thing about Amy. It's not just her that needs thoughts and prayers, but also her family as well. The strain on them is incredible, as you all could imagine. Many of you have had to deal, or are dealing with, sick loved ones, so you know what it's like, and to have that loved one be your young child.... well it's just incredibly difficult. They are a very young couple and this has been quite a blow to them. More of the same routine for me, did a lot of self rehabbing last night while watching "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" The guy blew $300,000 by answering "35" to the question of "What is the youngest age allowed to become a US Senator?" You should've seen the look on his wife's face in the audience when he went for it despite not being sure of the answer. I'll bet there were some interesting discussions between the two of them afterwards... Then this AM it was back to the gym for more elliptical stuff. Then I hopped on the treadmill and was able to complete 30 minutes of running/walking at a very easy pace, but as of right now, ANY pace is a great pace! I won't say it felt great, there was no pain, just tightness. I would stretch during the walk breaks and that kept me going. I am thankful to be able to do what I can at this point. More acupuncture later, looking forward to that. You guys and gals are all incredibly awesome. I'm lucky to be here. A good rest of the day to all! Smile

Marathon Maniac #957

... did a lot of self rehabbing last night while watching "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" The guy blew $300,000 by answering "35" to the question of "What is the youngest age allowed to become a US Senator?"
                                I watched that show last night with my kids (including my 5th grader), and I will admit that "35" was my answer to that question, too. I had gotten every question right up to that point, but blew it at the end. Good thing I didn't have any money on the line... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."