Masters Running

Help with Garmin 310XT (Read 29 times)

I posted this in Gear forum, but if anyone here has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

I can't get this thing to pair up with ANYTHING.  Not RA, not Strava, not Garmin Training Center - Nothing.  And I'm really ticked off.  When I pull up the ANT, it just says that it's searching for a device.  Garmin Training Center says it doesn't detect any device.  And yes, my Garmin is on.

I've deleted everything off my computer and reloaded it - nothing.  I've had this thing for a couple of months now and am VERY disappointed in this aspect of it.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Leslie, it sounds like the ANT stick and your device are not paired. Are you using the "ANT Agent" software on your PC, or the newer "Garmin Connect"? Whichever one, if you bring that program up and the ANT stick is inserted, there should be a way to request pairing with a device (e.g. "Search for devices"). Then, on your 310XT, you bring up the menu and go to Settings -> System -> Data Transfer and select Pairing -> On (while you're close to your PC). That should pair things up.

Also, "Garmin Connect" has basically superseded the ANT Agent software, so you might want to go that way, although it sort of locks you into using the Garmin Connect web site for storing your workouts. I actually use SportTracks on my PC for this, but there is still a way for me to get my data into that program.

By the way, I don't have a 310XT, but I downloaded the manual for it and it works similar to my old 610. My new watch works differently and I don't need to have the ANT stick.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Slo

I'm not going to be any help Leslie...only sharing my frustration.

I purchased the 310xt for it's accuracy, ease of transitioning from running to biking and the battery life.

It's been a complete and total let down software wise and Garmin Service is useless. The problems and cures are not always the same. The most frustrating one is when the "On" button no longer works. You can not turn it OFF or ON and it isn't a button problem, it's a software problem.

If I ever purchase another GPS device it will not be a garmin due to the non-support I have received from them on this.

I have had my best luck with the Garmin Connect. If you go that route you may not be able to upload direct to RA...And Garmin Connect is a far cry from the RA Log. So it's a double entry for me.

Thanks, guys.  Ends up I didn't have "pairing" on ().  It finally downloaded everything and I guess automatically updates Strava.

Anyway, Slo - I have read a lot of people's frustrations, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed only my stupidity will keep it from working correctly.  But you are correct - I still have to manually input my info into RA.  Oh well.  My biggest problem was I need to be able to look at the elevation gains/losses on my trail runs so I can adjust accordingly to prepare for races.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Slo

Thanks, guys.  Ends up I didn't have "pairing" on ().  It finally downloaded everything and I guess automatically updates Strava.

I don't know if yours is new and this was a setting you missed but at least twice when I have had upload issues it was that the "Pairing" was set to off.

Funny thing is, I didn't set it to off. So if your issue happens again be sure to check that setting!

I've been told that if unit has latched onto the satellite signals and then loses them it can cause the unit to lock up. Garmin recommended to me not to come into the house with the unit on after using it. Yeah, well thanks...and that works really well because I have my computer set up outside...not.

Solution was to put the ANT agent on my laptop and keep the laptop near a window so I can upload my run. This has saved me a great deal of frustrations. Just another hassle in a device that was purchased for convenience.

I have dealt with many of the same issues you all have.  I have, after a lot of time, managed to run through a number of options.  If you installed Garmin Express and want to have RA (or anything other than Garmin Connect) read your data you need to ditch Garmin Express.  That means you have to uninstall Garmin Express.  Clear it and any other Garmin software from your PC.  Now install Garmin ANT, again from scratch.  As part of your uninstall you should have previously removed all trace of Garmin ANT.  Next pair your watch and ANT.  If all has gone well ANT will now connect and download the workouts from your watch.  After it does that, RA, SportTracks or whatever should be able to pull data from your watch as well.  But, remember, none of them can ever pull data from any run until after ANT pulls it first.  Good luck to all working through problems induced by Garmin Express.  What a disaster it is! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

A few added comments:

- The "Pairing" option should only need to be set ON one time. Once the device pairs with the ANT stick/software, it should stay paired from then on; that's why the setting then shows as "Off" when you look at it again. It is similar to pairing a Bluetooth device to your car or whatever: it's a one-time initialization. That said, the pairing can possibly get lost when doing a software or firmware update, or when switching from the ANT Agent to Garmin Express and you'll have to redo it.

- It is true that when you install Garmin Express, the ANT Agent software gets uninstalled. I also found this out the hard way, but I really had no choice because I needed Express installed in order to do software and map updates on the Nuvi GPS device that I use on car trips. This had nothing to do with ANT or my Forerunner, but the ANT Agent was removed anyway. Garmin Express replaced what was previously a number of support software products with one do-everything package, but at a cost in flexibility.

- The problem with removing Garmin Express and going back to the ANT Agent is that unless you have a copy of the ANT Agent installer package somewhere on your PC, you will have a tough time finding it elsewhere since it's no longer supported by Garmin.

- Much of this became moot for me when I got my 920XT. That model no longer uses ANT to transfer data, but instead uploads it directly to the Garmin Connect site using WiFi or using Bluetooth via my smartphone. It can also transfer using Garmin Express when it's connected by USB to my PC (necessary for charging), but even then the data gets transferred directly and does not leave a .fit file on my PC. For SportTracks I do have a plug-in that can get the .fit files directly from the device, which mounts like a thumb drive when connected, but it would be difficult to upload the data into any other logging program or web site.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Between 2K and Roch - My head is reeling.   If I encounter more issues, I'll definitely come back to you guys.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

It took 45 minutes to connect to Garmin connect. The pairing kept tuning off after each attempt. 405 will last for only 4-5 hours 

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/