Masters Running

Boston Marathon -- It's the People that Matter (long) (Read 387 times)

Net time: 3:38:25 My goals were: 1. finish 2. break 3:35 (BQ) 3. break 3:30 (3:28 target) Pre Race First of all, the Boston Marathon as an event has no equal, at least in my limited experience. The mystique of the race draws people from all over, which made the weekend for me. We drove up from Maryland on Friday, and on a whim decided to drive the course on our way into town -- I took a bunch of pictures which you may have already looked at ( http://www.pbase.com/lking/boston2008 ). After we arrived we went to a beer festival with dawndaughter1 (DD1) and her husband (DSIL). We didn't stay overlong, and didn't overdrink either, as we knew we'd be sorry for that. Saturday morning, we hit the expo and bought everything in sight that said "Boston" or "marathon" on it. I hope to be out of town when the credit card bill arrives. Then we went to pick up DD1 to go shopping for our little party. The party went well -- at least everyone seemed to be having a good time. It was great to see old friends, meet people for the first time after corresponding for years, and seeing folks who we didn't know before. The people we have met through these forums are without exception a cut above the rest. I brought a keg of English Pale Ale, and somehow people were choking it down. Kirsten (La Tortuga) and her husband had also brewed and brought a Brown Ale, which was quite tasty. Sunday morning, we watched the Olympic trials for the women's marathon -- very exciting. We were positioned perfectly, and the runners went by us eight times. These pictures you also may have seen ( http://www.pbase.com/lking/bostonolympictrials2008 ). The race had an exciting finish, and we were surprised to see the rabbit take second place -- we were sure she'd falter and end up further back. Monday - time to get nervous. We got up early, ate at the hotel restaurant -- I had pancakes -- then finished getting ready and came down to wait for the bus. We were to be on a bus chartered by a travel agency -- the bus would leave at 7:30 -- that seemed a bit late for the first wave, but we knew the travel agent had done this before so we were not too worried. Well, the bus wasn't there at first, and the agent seemed a bit worried. Finally she checked the other side of the building, and there they were. We got off at 7:30, right on time. However, the lead driver (there were three busses) didn't know exactly where to go. After stopping once for a bit we went on, then found the race course. Of course the cops wouldn't let the bus on the course to get to the start -- they were supposed to go to a park anyway, not the start -- and after several minutes of indecision, the natives got restless. We discovered we were at about mile 1 and hopped off the bus to walk. After dropping off my bag and taking care of some prerace business, PDR and I made our way to the corrals. I was in the first wave, and had to kiss her for luck as they weren't letting 2nd wave runners past a certain point. I arrived at the corral just as the race was started. The Race I had a fancy pace band which took into account the hills and the target time. Silly me. I did keep up with the targets through about mile 10, but had started thinking about just having a good time earlier than that. I had some pain in my right knee laterally, which was too early in the race, and I was thinking about that while making my decision. The weather was also a bit warm, but really nothing to complain about. I don't think those factors were the keys to my slower than planned performance -- I'm blaming it on pure laziness. Having said that, I'm happy I made the decision, as I finished the race feeling much less miserable than I have during any of the other marathons I have run. I didn't feel any significant bonk, which in my previous four races occurred at 23, 23, 18, 18, so now I know it can be forestalled. I drank water whenever it was offered -- at several of the water stops I took two cups. I had Crank egels (150 cal with electrolytes), at 6, 11, 16 but forgot to take one at 22. I did develop a ham cramp at around 22, but that was resolved (see below). The highlight of the race was seeing some boomers at mile 20, and having Craig (The Pro From Dover) run with me from then until the end. He was kind enough to hold a couple of waters, and had a seeming endless supply of ecaps, which when hearing about the ham cramp, he started pounding them down my gullet, which did seem to fix the ham cramp. He refilled my water at the water stops and ran to catch up and keep me well hydrated. The downhills are fierce on this course -- I thought the hills I train on would have prepared me but I was sorely mistaken. "Sorely" is the operative word here, as the quads were beaten like they'd never been beaten before. Finally, today, I can walk down stairs forwards. Post Race After the race, Craig and I picked up my bag and waited for others to come across the line. We were supposed to meet folks at the family meeting area, but I guess we decided that it was too cold in the shade. That was unfortunate, as we left evanflein standing there waiting for a while -- I hope there weren't others we missed because of that. We found Steve (perchcreek), and Harriet (predawnrunner), and a few of Craig's friends. Fortunate One came by and was disappointed to find out that we weren't going to be having a parking lot keg party this time. As it turned out we didn't even know where our car was, as the hotel only had valet parking. (I checked the keg this morning and found that we'd done a pretty good job on it Saturday night -- there might be a pint or two left, but not much more). Harriet and I went back to the hotel to shower and afterwards we met a crew at Rock Bottom, not too far from the hotel. I think there were more than 20 of us, and when I get around to it I will update the photo link with more pictures. We had a good dinner -- lots of protein for me at least -- and one or three beers before saying our goodbyes. After the dinner, Harriet and I got our post race massage, which also was part of the package we had. I might skip that next time, as while the timing worked out, it did make everything a bit rushed. The final marathon event was the dance at the Roxy. This might have been more fun, but Harriet was not feeling well at all -- coming down with a cold since before the race started. We did see Elaine (Flying Finn) there but could only chat briefly before we had to leave. I think I had mentioned in an earlier posting that this might be fun because we had a blast at the one in Chicago -- having experienced both, I have to say we liked the Chicago one better. At least there were more places to sit at that one. We left Tuesday morning, drove to Philly to see my sister and celebrate her 60th birthday. We went to dinner at an Italian restaurant. That was good because I had a craving for pasta (urp). Well, it was her birthday. Actually the food was wonderful and I didn't mind the spaghetti at all. Finally home this morning. Beer dog was so happy to see us. Thanks for reading.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

TammyinGP

Great Report Lou!! And I can't wait to see some more pics. Congratulations on running a great race! You Beers sure know how to have fun! Hope I get to meet you this fall.

Tammy

Head Procrastinator

I wasn't going to reply yet but I see this had been read 11 times and only one response so........ Big grin It was fabulous seeing you and PDR again, and DD1 and DSIL also. They were SOOO kind to open their home to your friends and I am sure had that event not happened we would have not all been able to get together Saturday evening. Oh yeah, the race. How cool is it to have your own personal water boy run the last 6 with you? You came within spitting distance of your goal on a tough course. And got to experience the most famous marathon in this country first hand. And famous last words when asked are you coming back? You bet! Barb
        ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
          You're right. It's alla bout the people. Without exception everyone I've met is top notch. Looking forward to adding you and PDR to that list some day. I'm really glad you enjoyed the whole experience. Rest up now! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

It's alla bout the people.
            Ah, I have to reply quickly to preserve this before you fix it. hee hee! Anyway, after writing such a long report, then reading PDR's, I realize there were a lot of important details left out - I know you'll read hers anyway, so these cracks will be filled.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Renee the dog

I appreciate you taking the time to write out your report! Great job and glad you had so much fun. Smile

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Thanks for this report Lou. What a panic it must have been to get to the start line just as the race begins. Oh well, at least you did make it. You had several great days of events with a race used to anchor this wonderful time. It seems that you learned a little along the way about your personal race management. I greatly appreciate the pictures too. If you get the chance to identify some of the people in them, that will help. Most I recognized but a couple of them were people I was not quite sure of. Congratulations on this race and thank you for the fun report. Joey
                Vista
                  Lou, Just awesome. So happy for you to have done Boston. What a great report and photo's galore. Wish I would have been there. You had a blast and congratulations on getting there and even more on enjoying the race, which is so special. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Manchild

Congratulations Lou! A very nice report and a well run and fast, in my world, marathon!! Nice to have no real bonk and nice to be home, I'm sure. Chris
                      Great title for this wonderful report WRFB. I am sorry I didn't get to meet you and PDR, but I feel like I know you both a little already. Congratulations on running a smart race and more than that, for enjoying the whole weekend and connecting with great people. The memories of those interactions will no doubt last much longer than the running memories. The Pro zoomed by me in Hartford without a prayer of easing into his slip stream. Clearly you are cooler as he ran with you! Smile Take care of yourself now and one of these days I'll meet you for real! Karin/CNYrunner
                        wow!! congratulations!! you ran an awesome race and i love your report!! pics are great too!!

denise

evanflein

Lou, it was so fun to meet you and Harriet, and DD1 and DSIL... they were great! Thanks for the beer and the great party. Glad you had a good race, even if the time wasn't quite what you were looking for. It's not often I can say I ran almost the same time as WRFB!!! We got to the Roxy too late I guess... couldn't find anybody we knew. Hope to see you and PDR again sometime soon!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Lou.. what fun we all had. I hear you about that course and the quad trasher it is. It is a challenging course and the goal was to finish and enjoy and get the medal and be able to wear the jacket. You batted 1000 and had a great finish time. Congratulations on running the sumit of all marathons! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Nice run Lou, Maybe not what you hoped for but a very respectable time. From my experience courses with early downhill hill are the toughest of all for a long race. I had an experience similar to what you described in my last. Great race in the the Cherry Blossom 10, btw. It says you have a low 3:20's marathon in you.
                              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Lou--congrats on a well run race. It was great to meet you and Harriet at Bob's on Sunday, too. kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.