Masters Running

Wednesday, 10.7.15 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I'm sorry about your family's loss Stumpy. Separately, I've also had to start to pull out my gloves on some mornings, and it may get close to tights weather soon too.

Aamos, I don't have any golf balls, but my spaldeen does pretty good. Fortunately, I don't spend that much time in the car, so I don't know that having a ball there would make much difference. I'm glad your running continues to go well. I didn't know our Gov, Maggie Hassan, was a classmate of yours - very kewl! Yes, I've known for a while that she has been contemplating a Senate run. It is going to be tough to go up against Ayotte - 2 days after her announcement and there are already some ugly ads out there. If Maggie wins, we'll be losing a good governor.

Hi Holly! I'm glad your foot is doing OK.

Have fun (I think) bilge-pumping, TW...

Ribs, I have my phone in my other back pocket, so moving the wallet wouldn't accomplish much. But I'm at my stand-up desk much of the day, so having something in my back pocket isn't much of an issue. Still, thanks for the tip. How was the pizza and the game last night?

Twocat, good luck with the new stretches. I hope they help get you back on the roads more quickly.

Leslie, don't beat yourself up over a day off, especially if it was a day when you'd be moving furniture later on! How'd that go?

Nice almost soreness-free easy 3, Moebo.

Did you get out last night, Enke? Can't hurt to start down the road toward that March half.

Henrun and Marj continue to impress with a Indian-summer 8er and a great kayak yesterday!

Very creative way to get outside in yesterday's gorgeous weather, LaT!

True enough Mike: Sometimes?

I have time to post this morning because when I went to the massage therapist last night, and after she finished beating me up, she admonished me to take at least two days off and just do some easy foam rolling and otherwise let my body rest. She's not saying, but I think she is more worried than I that I might have done some real damage to myself. So instead of touring the neighborhood this morning, I've been sitting here on the couch trying to get caught up on things, such as some posting to you good folks. Our niece got her NH driver's license yesterday, and is very excited to be an official resident of the state. She orchestrated dinner last night, which was an interesting and tasty dish of sauteed scallops with leeks on a bed of whipped sweet potatoes with ginger.

OK, gotta go. Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning!

HA! Had to post back at you, Jay; whenever DH uses the word "interesting" in reference to food, it usually means "let's NOT have this again soon."  Or are just a titch nervous over the new DL?

Lower humidity here making for lovely running.  Really had fun last night.  Did 10 then, just 6 this am.  And I have fresh figs in my oatmeal this am, so all's good in my little nook and cranny of the world .

Goodnight, moon; goodnight Yankees.

Anyone ever heard of the artist Wayne Thiebaud?  I'm reading a novel in which he's mentioned, where it's said he was influenced by Hopper, a favorite, so I checked him out briefly.  Very whimsical, and cheerier than Hopper, for sure.

I'll leave you with an example of his work (he paints a lot of ice cream and cake):Image result for wayne thiebaud prints

Image result for wayne thiebaud prints

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sayhey! MM#130

Mornin' everyone.

Ribs, How was the pizza and the game last night? 

I'll answer that!  AWESOME.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Glad enks had a good time BEing with the fishes and sorry to stumpy for his loss.

Too many of them.
          Following President Theodore Roosevelt’s advice that every American should see the Grand Canyon and, yesterday, took a five-and-a-half hour bus ride out there from Las Vegas with the Japan Joyfuls.  Lots of other countries there too as the area was just breaking out of a record daily rainfall but nothing like poor Carolina. The Canyon was filled with one mile of mist and fog that gradually lifted before our eyes to reveal an endless vista, especially one mile straight down to the raging, dirt-brown river.  It was like being on the top of a PNW mountain but 100 times bigger. No time for the walk down that will go onto my to-do list that will never get done except in my mind. I hope others herein might be able to do it.
          Going back to reality this afternoon after a day in Las Vegas. Now that’s another story.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

First of all, to Henry, we get to be friends with no issues at all, outside of the Rangers-Jays series, as I am a lifelong Mets fan, and my oldest son is a diehard Cubs fan.  We'll watch the Cubs tonight here.  I think the Jays will be surprised to see a different Rangers team from the one they beat to death all this season. Should be a good series.

Now as to Aamos and other Red Sox fans, it was a delight to see Keuchel smother the Yankees last night 3-0 and bump them from the playoffs.  Two Texas teams in the final four for the AL is fun.

The pizza was outstanding; thank you for asking.

We're getting cool mornings now, high 60's to low 70's and I took advantage and got in 10 miles, the first 4 about 10:20 pace and the last 6 about 9:45, very pleasant.  

A woman who is a friend of ours told us she was running today and I thought I might see her at the park but she was leaving in her car when I still had a bit more to do.  I texted the Saint to tell her about my run and she asked if I had seen her.  I replied, "She was putting out just when I was finished running."

Back came her reply:  "Darned autocorrect!"

Spareribs

tetsujin209 I have hiked down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Personally, you might think about finding another bucket to drop that little to-do item into. I can tell you neither my DW nor I will do it again!  On the way up, it rained and then snowed as we got closer to the top.  We were miserable!

I think the hip flexor is getting better.  Saturday is the next try out.  In the meantime I have been assembling my Halloween village.  Sad, but it seems the pieces do not last forever.  One sound box is on the fritz and the motor in another piece blew.  The piece with the now deceased motor is one of my favorites so I will get a replacement.  The one with the busted sound box still lights up and I can live with that.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Grand Canyon - Controversy as the world of hikers and the world of ultra runners wanting to run rim-to-rim in one day (and sometimes rim-to-rim-to-rim) collide.  There was a recent article by a woman whose complaints were that ultra runners are leaving garbage everywhere, using the bathroom right on the side of the trail, being rude and forcing hikers to get out of their way as they blaze by on the run.  I suspect this might be happening, but I also suspect she highly exaggerated things because she doesn't like the runners.  My experience is that ultra runners are some of the friendliest, most environmentally conscious folks who understand what it means to do everything possible to keep the trails clean and as pristine as possible.  Ultra running is growing in popularity, and this may be why there seems to "suddenly be a ton of ultra runners" on the Grand Canyon trails.  It'll be interesting to see where it all goes.

Jay - Glad you're listening to your massage therapist.

Furniture moving - Shorty had most of it done by the time I got him, which was nice.  This morning we moved the bed and that was the last of it.  The cats are thoroughly confused by it all.

45 min of stationary biking this a.m. with 7-8 1 min "strides" thrown in in the middle.

Got a call from our bank this morning.  I had put a travel notice on our debit card so we would be able to use the ATMs in Zimbabwe.  Our bank won't honor any banks there because of . . . whatever reason she said.  Zimbabwe won't cash travelers checks and you can't use a credit card for most of what we would be doing.  *sigh*   Looks like we're gonna be hoping there's no cavity searches!

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - I have always wanted to visit the Grand Canyon, but have not managed it yet.

Ribs - 

Leslie - I would find that pretty scary, especially since criminals in Zimbabwe are likely fully aware of those details.

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or thereabouts of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...thanks for the feedback yesterday//....but the next time you have Bilge don't come whining to me...

Naw,

I'm just kidding, Whine all you want.

=========

...but I digress.....

80s and humid

forgot the damn PT work-out again

............45-min cane walk in city park

...................good running guys.......https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilge

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

Tet, I'm glad you got to go to the Grand Canyon with the Japan Joyfuls!  Sounds like fun!  Vegas, not so much...

I did a 3-day solo backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago, and loved it!  My ultra group is planning a R2R2R run next May that I'm really looking forward to!  We can bring friends if anyone is interested in joining!

Leslie, that's weird about getting money at ATMs in Zimbabwe.  I looked it up on the state department website and it looks like you're right.  http://harare.usembassy.gov/import_visitorsinfo.html    That would make traveling tough!  You're going to visit a friend, right?  Do they have any advice or way to get money?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Carolyn - The R2R2R will be fun.  

The Money Issue - We'll just have to carry all our cash and then stash the majority of it at our friends' place and only carry small amounts on us when we go out and about.  I saw on the web site that they recommend small bills.  How do you carry enough cash for 3 weeks in small bills?  "Ms. Ames, why do you have a suspicious bulge in your pants?"  "It's small bills, sir.  Just a lot of small bills."

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Following President Theodore Roosevelt’s advice that every American should see the Grand Canyon and, yesterday, took a five-and-a-half hour bus ride out there from Las Vegas with the Japan Joyfuls. 

...tet//...for Future Reference,

if you go into the park AFTER DARK and goto the Hermitage Point you can look up and SEE GALAXIES///....it is Soooo Neat.

also,

if you go out to The East Rim it is more Pristine and Way Less Crowded....Translation>>>> You can Take Off Running.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

moebo

Oh wow, I would love to see the sky from the Grand Canyon--some day, I hope, your advice will come in handy, tomwhite. Thanks.

Twocat, a whole Halloween village? That sounds awesome! I hope you will post pictures.

Aamos, I had never heard of Wayne Thiebaud before. Those paintings made me happy.

Not much for me today--just a bunch of push-ups this morning, and hopefully a nice stroll in the sunshine later.

Looking forward to running again tomorrow.

Went to the Grand Canyon once in May - the North Rim - hiked in snow. Loved it!

Easy-peasy afternoon run - loved that as well!

Speaking of pizza - had a yummy pizza with pears, goat cheese, arugala pesto, and walnuts - did I say yummy?

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Years ago, we did a 10-day trip and drove to the Grand Canyon and Brice Canyon.  Both stunning places in their own right and places I'd love to go back to some day.  At Brice, we walked down to the bottom then crawled our way back out.  This is when we were both pretty out of shape, and when we were climbing out we looked up at the sky and it was so blue!  I'm convinced we thought it was so blue because we thought we were gonna die. 

Except for the goat cheese, that pizza sounds wonderful.  Try salami, Brie cheese, and apricot jam.  Oh my!!

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance