Masters Running

Stevie Ray's 5-in-1 November Race Summary (Read 263 times)

xor

I had too much going on in November to write my normal long race reports, so here is a report with blurbs about: The Manchester City Marathon (11/2) The San Antonio Rock N Roll Marathon (11/16) The Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon (11/23) The Atlanta Marathon (11/27) The Seattle Marathon 5k (11/29) -> yes, that's what it was called Plus a teaser about the Seattle Marathon (11/30). More on that in a race-specific report later. As always, links to lots of other race reports can be found over there.

#artbydmcbride

Smile Wow, what a month you've had! I look forward to reading more about Seattle.

Runners run

Boston for 09 again? I'll see you there. Of course I will be on the sidelines again. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

xor

Boston for 09 again? I'll see you there. Of course I will be on the sidelines again. Laurie
          No Boston for me in 09. Nor before (again?). Maybe down the road.

nowor

Thanks for the compilation. I felt like I was accompanying a rock star as he jetted around awing his fans. Only this was a really nice rock star. What you did in Nov is just amazing. The compressed report makes it easy to see that (1) every course is different ( 2) it can be cold many places on many weekends (3) sometimes it's your day and sometimes not so much (4) what a positive attitude you maintained whether you met your goal, came close, or lost time in POP lines. OK, looking forward to Seattle M report. You may be the Maniac-iest Maniac.
            xor

OK, looking forward to Seattle M report. You may be the Maniac-iest Maniac.
              Thanks for the nice words. Interestingly, I'm not the maniac-est maniac. Not by a long shot! In 2007, I ran 65 marathons. That was a lot. But there's this other guy. Larry Macon. In 2007, he ran 90. Really. But wait, there's more. In 2005, he ran 79. In 2006, he ran 79 again. But wait, there's more. On Saturday, he hit #100 for 2008. In November. He added 101 the next day. Raw numbers aside, he's truly one of the nicest people I've ever met. That so very much does NOT sound like me. And he's low-key about his accomplishments. He's always much more interested in what others are doing. And whether that's someone's first marathon ever or 40th of the year, he's so very encouraging.

wildchild

Carolyn

You maniacs are awesome, but are still maniacs! I can't imagine having the physical stamina to run more than a marathon per week, all year long. You really must be in amazing shape to do that and not get injured. And it goes without saying that you would need to be retired, unemployed, or have an extremely flexible job to pull off the scheduling! Not to mention a big travel budget! How do you juggle everything?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Your RR are always fun! keep them coming!! . I'm looking forward to reading the Seattle one and compare notes!! Francesca
                  xor

You maniacs are awesome, but are still maniacs! I can't imagine having the physical stamina to run more than a marathon per week, all year long. You really must be in amazing shape to do that and not get injured. And it goes without saying that you would need to be retired, unemployed, or have an extremely flexible job to pull off the scheduling! Not to mention a big travel budget! How do you juggle everything?
                    Actually, it doesn't have to require that much long haul travel depending on where you live. The Maniacs were founded in Seattle by a group of folks who kept seeing each other at the same races. See, as it turns out, we probably have 40ish marathons and ultras within a 5 hour drive every year. And if you carpool, it is possible to do it a bit more modestly than it might seem. And possible to do it with a normal job. It *does* however a certain, uh, flexibility of family. Smile Now, in my case, I do have a flexible work schedule... though very unpredictable medical/health schedule. As for all the traveling I do, it's a bit of a party trick. I haven't been paying for as much of it as it may seem. I've burned a whole lot of miles from my previous corporate worklife (it helps to be a Million Mile Flier) and vouchers. But most of that is running out. Aside from this November report, I've been staying a lot closer to home than I used to. As for injuries and health stuff, it happens.

Marathon Maniac #957

Stevie Ray - great 5-in1 report! I certainly wish the Weather Channel would sponser ALL of my races. You continue to amaze, both with your speed and boundless energy - nice job, again!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."