Masters Running

Saturday, July 12th - it's the week end! (Read 341 times)

I would have to agree with Tim on yesterday's post ...marathon training can really be fun...and I've even had fun at most of my marathons as well as a couple where there are miles I would like to forget! Dead The humidity is back today and I didn't think it was supposed to be. It is already 60 degrees with 98% humidity and I am getting ready to head out to do the Bech to Beacon 10K course out and back with a few of my running friends. That will give us about 12.4 miles and then we'll probably look to add a few more to give us somewhere around 14 miles for the day as I begin my preparations for my fall marathons. I have a wedding to go to this afternoon so I have to get this in early. Good runs all.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks for the start off mainerunnah...hope you have a great run today in not so great weather conditions. Yeah, sometimes I feel like races get in the way of my training...I love training, then hate the tapering part when I have to back off and feel like I am going nuts. Currently in a running rain delay as it is storming bad out right now. And it is extremely humid and soupy out. I may have to adjust my speed a little to help me make it through my 16 to 18 miler today. I am sitting here hydrating the best I can and hope it is enough today. Hope all have great races - runs - or whatever this weekend holds in store for you. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hill Runner

Good morning guys, Easy 8.02 miles of hills @ 9:10 pace...nice morning to run but getting a little sticky out there. We caught the little bunny that was eating our garden last night in the Hav-a-hart trap. We took him a few miles down the road and let him loose in the woods where he can eat to his hearts content...he was very cute but they can devastate your garden. Good runningn to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
        Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
        Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Good morning everyone. Gorgeous but H&H day out here. Wow. Girls leaving for two weeks vacation with their mom this week. This will be hard on me as I believe the longest I have not seen them is a week. But I am happy they are getting to go see the maritimes. I am busy with dates and work this weekend. Two dates today, one where we are going for a hike and another for a fancy dinner tonight. Might race tomorrow either a duathlon or a 5K...I am waiting for the weather since it's supposed to continue to be crazy hot plus potential thunderstorms tomrrow...so it will wait till morning. Best Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Good morning, all. Another hot and humid runner, here in Maryland. Hopefully, Grandfathers has a cool pocket for our friends perchcreek and jjj. I did a soggy 7 miler -- no rain but I was definitely soggy by the time I got back Roll eyes . Hopefully I didn't run too fast, as I want to run long tomorrow and have been having trouble sticking with the longer runs lately. Workout: 6.1 miles, 8:37/mi, AHR 156 Overall: 7.1 miles, 1:01 Best of luck to ALL the racers.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Really H&H out there this morning. 70F w/ 80%H & sunny Roll eyes I didn't think it could be so humid when it's sunny out. Confused 5 easy miles w/DW she had to walk a couple minutes due to heat, so I ran ahead & turned around so probably about 5.2 for me. Good luck with that rain delay Tim Tall " u da man"

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Dave59

10 miles on trails. I'm covered in dirt and deet. My first double digit run since April '07, and first on trails since I don't know when. Now I just hope it rains before I am recovered enough to cut the grass. Big grin (I am in full stall mode as the sky gets darker.)

Went out for a 6 mile MP run but after the first 3 I realized it was not going to happen. Backed off and ended up with 6 @ 30 seconds less than MP. It was 78 degrees and 75% humidity at 8 am . I want to go long tomorrow so I did not want to risk that by pushing it today. I was thinking of people racing today I hope they have better conditions. good runs everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Marathon Maniac #957

Good morning! Tim – I think that rain is arriving here now. Peter – what a kind way to rid yourself of that cute garden pest. An excerpt from last night’s backyard campout: We were playing cards in the tent and I caught DD cheating. “Well, HE’S cheating,” she said, meaning her brother. “Two wrongs don’t make a right,” I said. “How would YOU know?” said DS, “You’re NEVER wrong!” Big grin Big grin Today was LR day, but after 2 miles on the treadmill I knew it wasn’t going to happen. Driven by the need to burn calories (going to a cookout tonight), I hopped on the bike instead. Today the bike didn’t seem to aggravate my injured area, so I tooled around down by the river for a while, not particularly pushing it. We’ll see how it feels later on. This is it for running for at least 3-4 days, maybe the whole week. Possibly no biking, as well. I want this nagging thing to go away. Even stubborn women eventually figure out when to let up. Big grin 2 miles running and 1.5 hours biking. Good luck, racers!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I arrived in Missoula yesterday -- well two delayed flights later. The weather out here is gorgeous! No humidity! After running in the last days back in a steam room CT the change is terrific! Best of all I met the, alas absent from the forums, btb and his family. Before dinner btb and I did a 4 mile run along the river here in town. Great run. Great guy to talk to. We ran it just a tad slower then my dreamed for MP in tomorrow's race. Then it was off to dinner with btb and his family. They are all wonderful people. It is hard to believe how caring, sweet, generous, and interesting they all are! As I should have also guessed they are all unbelievably accomplished athletes as well! It is really a privilege to know them, even as casually as I do. btb and I are heading off to the expo soon to pick up our packets. Other than that my goal is to rest. Good running all today and fast feet to the racers.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I Can Go The Distance

When I went out to run at 6 AM the temp was 65, which was nice, but the humidity was already 80%. Today was my LR day and the plan was to do 10.2 miles. The first two miles I felt really sluggish, but by the time I got to about 4 miles the sun was up and the humidity was down. It turned out to be a very nice morning. My time was 1:41:42 a 9:59 pace. My goal pace was between 9:45 and 10:15, so I was right on target. Twocat: Tell Bob that we miss him here at RA and to post when he is able. Holly: I know it's hard, but I am glad to hear you are going to rest a little bit. Have a great weekend and good luck to all our racers. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

After being stuck in a rut of 3.5 runs all summer, I finally managed to squeak out what I consider a LR this morning (anything over 4 miles qualifies) Blush I did 4.25 around the hills of my neighborhood in 72 degrees w/ the same humidity all you guys are suffering with. Then a mile swim. I am in awe of all of you who are doing REALLY long runs in this stuff. Mainerunnah, have fun a the wedding. Having just married my DD I am still misty eyed about weddings. biketm - send us some of your rain! We are in a miserable, 2 month long drought here in TN. Peter - your are much more charitable towards those furry little rascals than I. Tallrunner - are you trying out for the Bachelor? Big grin WRFB - great run, albeit soggy! Sarge - 5.2 is a definite LR! Dave59 - congrats on that double digit! And send us some of that rain! halllar - smart decision. Good luck tomorrow! Holly - good for you not only on the run/bike, but on having such great kids! twocat - how awesome to get to spend time w/ btb! Best of luck to you both.

King of PhotoShop

3 mile warm up, then 7 at 7:30 per mile and 2 mile cooldown. Good, I got your attention with a fictional run! Actually did a very easy 5 miles at just off 15 minutes per mile walking. I like to get under 15's when I walk but my walking buddy is recovering from a broken shoulder and can't walk fast. Really enjoyed it today. Dave, nice going on that long trail run. Neat that Twocat met up with btb. Hope they do well in the race. And especially pulling for my man Perch today. He is in great shape. Spareribs
                              A bunch of nice runs by a ,lot of people today. Hoping Perch enjoys his uphill marathon! 5 easy miles for me on the Treadmill at 1% - from 6.3 up to 7.5 mph. The treadmill is always so much easier I have a hard time keeping the speed down. Tomorrow is planned for 12 miles or so easy. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

munchkn883

Nice 3.4 miles with MrMunch today. Been a long time since he walked. Trying to talk him into walking with me before church in the morning.