Masters Running

Monday 7/21 (Read 38 times)

Dave59

So much to say (write).  So little desire to type. 

I enjoyed reading as much as I could during my business trip last week.

I managed a 5-day streak of shortish runs on the trip, but then nothing the last 3 days.  Today I got out for 3.12 miles in the cool morning.

My roll at work (for at least the next 6 months) is going to be 99% writing specs and working with programmers who do the coding.  It goes against what I like to do the most, but I will give it my best shot.

King of PhotoShop

Get up every day with enthusiasm Dave.  You'll settle into that new role.

Today the Saint and I did a short recovery run after both of us had long runs yesterday.  3.4 slow miles.  Then she walked another 2.  Temps in 70's again today, but very humid.  This week we will get back to normal, meaning high 90's every day.

Over the weekend I wrote a proposal for a client in Rochester, NY.  The old joke used to be, "things are really developing there," but you can't use that any more.   Spareribs

Mariposai

Good luck with your new role, Dave.

Spareribs,  it is hreat to see how well the Saint is running nowadays.

7 smile miles for me this morning under clear sky and cool, smoke free air.  The wild fires are still burning,  but away from town.  The last 4 days have been very stressful.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Good luck with your new role, Dave.

Spareribs,  it is hreat to see how well the Saint is running nowadays.

+1

Mariposai - hang in there!

No run for me today, just some light core and weights.

Had a great time at the concert last night - I love sitting outside on a summer night and listening to music.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Good morning, and thanks for getting us started, Dave.  Ugh! about your work duties, but it sounds as if there is an end, albeit far off, to this span of time?  What I tell myself is: that's why we call it work and not play.  What helps you get through the day, coffee, music, looking at photos of family, vacations?  Maybe you can afford to splurge on a new set of headphones, coffee maker, etc. to help you along.....

Thanks for keeping us up to date Mari.  Can image it's been stressful and are really glad to hear those butterfly wings are soot free.  Hope the fires are under control just asap.

Erika, I swear I channeling you Sunday; developed a naggy little annoyance in the middle of my  calf (henrun, carrying you along, too-it ws the right one) while on my long run.  I slowed down considerably and massaged/took Ibuprofen and this am was fine, but thought of you and your race for many miles yesterday.  Glad to hear you overcame the problem; Congratulations on your AG and 6th place overall.  I have a feeling the Overall has more meaning?  You didn't brag on yourself, but did you outrun the 2nd AG by a lot?

And in the meantime, Holly turns in a 19 miler and then kicks up her heels at a concert that night.  Like Erika, I was naptious Sunday and I only ran 16 miles with no big altitude changes but for the bridge crossings; minor league stuff.

[Interlude: Nothing minor league about our hometown team there in Boston {um, except for the fielding maybe, on Saturday}.....really superb weekend .]

So welcome to FL, C-R, despite your "ugh."  Whereabouts are you in our fair state?

Maine is a marvelous state, but I can see why it might not be on an Alaskan's top 10 of places to visit.  It's kind of the Alaska of the contiguous 48, no?

Even if you are tired after the Frank Maier marathon, tet,  as I recall, when I ran it, there was limitless grilled salmon for us at the finish line.  So good!  That was a magical trip, when I learned that Juneau is considered a rain forest.  And that TV station that is on the airport 24/7.  And the Mendenhall Glacier.

As above, an E-Z am 8.32 for me at a prudent 9:30 pace to baby the calf, just in case.  Sunrise a bit muted, but still quite pink and orange and most appreciated.  Due to an odd set of weather circumstances, we've been having some rare am showers; none for a few days, but last week there were several.  Nice for them to be gone; my garmin and little MP3 player are not swimming instruments.

We try to plan a "Monday night party" just to kick start the week; just something silly to look forward to, so tonight it's the Jays and a pasta party; I'll make two kinds of pasta and two sauces (DH likes the leftovers for his weekday lunches).  Happy Monday to you!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Slo

Hey All,

Been awhile.

5.6 miles, all easy. Bracing for the humidity tomorrow.

Quick hit.

Yesterday was The Hub's first day of real freedom.  No longer on probation, after 3 years.  Yea!  We spent the day being lazy and watching movies: "The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing," "Lone Survivor." and "August: Osage County."  All three are great movies.

45 min of core/ST for me this a.m.  Getting back into the swing of things.

Have a great week ~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Tet, I'd be happy to hold a racewalking clinic at Green Lake, or anywhere else. All we have to do is get me there...

I'm glad you had such a good time in Maine, C-R. Many people don't consider their trips to Maine/NH to be a success unless they've seen a moose, so I'm glad you go your moose (and bald eagle and eaglets) sighting done!

That's a heck of an elevation chart, Evanflein! Congrats on your AG win and great OA placement! Sorry about the calf, and I hope it is better today.

How did Mr. Starr like the bike shorts, Starr? I'm also mightily impressed with that 2:50 mile! T'nally got it right.

What Ribs said, Dave - you'll find a way to make that 6-month job more fun and interesting if you face it with a positive attitude.

Yes, Ribs; things have changed in Rochester. Good luck with your proposal!

Thank goodness for your smoke-free air, Mariposai. I hope it stays that way for you, and gets that way for those at risk.

I'm glad you had such a good time at the concert, Holly. Outdoor concerts in the summer are the best, aren't they?

What's with the calf thing?? I'm glad you took it easy this morning, and that your calf was OK, Aamos. Enjoy the Monday night party - sounds like a great way to kick off the week.

I suspect I was dehydrated after my workout and RW training session yesterday morning. I was a little light-headed, and went through a bottle of water like it was, well, water. I usually have a little to eat/drink before I head out for combined workouts & training sessions, but I was in a hurry yesterday and didn't. Lesson learned. I got the lawn mowed and pruned some tree limbs to help open up our back yard a bit, but I was dragging through the day. I was glad to crawl into bed last night, and I was also glad that today was a SRD.

Edited to add a big CONGRATULATIONS!!! to Leslie's Hub. I'm glad you both had a relaxing and enjoyable celebration.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

evanflein

Well, the calf is better than yesterday, but barking enough (again... do calves bark?) when going down stairs that I decided to take yet another rest day. I think that's more in July than the past two months combined! Oh well, live to run another day, right?

Amy, the second place runner in my AG was over 11 minutes behind me. But that's not my concern. I'm chasing overall ratings and series points. And most of my competition (except for standout 62 year old runner Dorli McWayne) is in the 20's and 30's age groups. So yes, I'm running like hell to beat "kids" half my age. And loving that I'm getting close to them! No way to catch the true stars, but I have fun being the stubborn old lady out there. The funny thing is, I've been 6th overall in the last two races, which I think is pretty good. But the newspaper only lists the top five. So my mom always asks "didn't you run that race this weekend? I didn't see you in the story about it." Also, I've worked up to 6th overall in the series (was 7th before this last race), but only the top 5 get jackets. Right behind me is a gal who won yesterday's race, and won the series opener 5k. She's only raced two races, but won them both (100 points), and she'll probably win either the half marathon in two weeks, or the Equinox in September (or both!) so she'll probably bump me way out of the jacket contention anyway. Oh well. The chase is fun.

There, a little update on the Fairbanks running club goings on. I know you were all curious.

Mariposai, glad you're breathing easier. The Today Show had a piece on the fires this morning. So much property loss and lives dismantled. When we have fires here, we lose a lot of scrubby trees and some wildlife, but rarely any property loss. Just annoying smoke.

Jay, I didn't realize until just the last few years how dehydration can affect your energy level. Gotta watch it these summer months. And Green Lake would be a perfect place for a RW clinic.

Hang in there, Dave. It'll make you stronger, right?

Leslie, I want to see "August: Osage County" so glad to hear you liked it. Did Shorty like it? Concerned it might be seen as a "chick flick".... Congratulations to Shorty for passing that milestone. That's really great news.

Hi Slo!

Ok... I guess it's back to work. Happy Monday!

wildchild

Carolyn

Small world - DH and I watched "August: Osage County" last night, too.  We thought it was depressing, although extremely well acted.  Meryl Streep is amazing.  But it's about a really really dysfunctional family.  Not a chick flick.

Erika, congrats on your race placement, and hope your calf feels better soon!

Lame, so sorry to hear about your daughter's boyfriend.  It's tough to lose someone so young.

I ran a 10k trail race Saturday, and was 1st (and also last) in my AG.  I won a loaf of good bread in the raffle drawing!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

August: Osage County.  VERY dysfunctional family and definitely not a chick flick.  If you're looking for a feel good movie, it ain't it.  Ends kind of abruptly, too.  But Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts are two of my favorites, and Shorty is a Juliette Lewis fan, and those kinds of movies don't bother either of us.

Erika - Congrats on the race!  Now get that calf happy.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

Hang in there, Dave. It'll make you stronger, right?

Thanks for everyone's encouragement.  I didn't mean to make it sound like a bad thing.  It will be interesting but the detail design of what needs to be done to the system is the hardest part.  Once that is done, doing the actual programming is the more enjoyable part (for me anyway.)

For now, I just don't get a break to program.  I'll have to turn over the specs to a programmer and move on to the design of the next project.  I have to stay in front of the contract programmers (who are probably making more than me*) who take the specs and write the code.

(* - This is better than the alternative of working with off-shore programmers where communication can be tough. I've had to do that in the past.)

C-R

Hang in there Dave.

Funny you mention the moose sighting. We had zero expectation to see any as we know they are very hard to spot. It was a nice extra.

Amy - I actually love coming to Florida. I'm in Orlando this week. Its the travel that makes me say ugh.

Good luck Ribs. I have lots of family around Rochester. Nice place except in the dead of winter. Brrrr.

Glad you had fun Holly.

WTG Carolyn.

Good to hear Leslie

No run yet but will in a few minutes. It takes some time to get used to the humidity for me.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Even if you are tired after the Frank Maier marathon, tet,  as I recall, when I ran it, there was limitless grilled salmon for us at the finish line.  So good!  That was a magical trip, when I learned that Juneau is considered a rain forest.  And that TV station that is on the airport 24/7.  And the Mendenhall Glacier.

Amy - so that's it.  Glad you had a good time up in Alaska too.

I always thought the best part of a marathon was just finishing

but I guess it's more what happens at the finish.

./

It's called the "Channel Cam" and shows flight arriving and departing as the adjacent tide ebbs-and-flows every six hours, all to the accompanyment to the classics, including souza on the fourth-of-july..  No wonder it's still my favorite tv station.

don't forget the grins.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

Amy - I actually love coming to Florida. I'm in Orlando this week. Its the travel that makes me say ugh.

Driving in and around Orlando is crazy-making.  Agreed.  Hope you get to enjoy some beautiful sunrises; you'll be running in the early mornings, right?  (Carry water!)

keepin' ya honest here...

grins,

Amy

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)