Masters Running

40's on the run (week of Sept 7-13) (Read 382 times)

flatland mountaineer

The land too poor for any other crop, is best for raising men. R Pocock Got in a 10 miler this morning. The old hip gave fair warning, achilles feel ok, iced them as soon as I got home. Think I got away with it though. Thanks all for your advice. Lynda told me all about the yoga class. There were 5 or 6 gals from 20's to 40's there. She showed me some of the poses, wow, so had to ask the most obvious question for a man, Did anyone break wind doing those?? Evil grin Didn't know whether she was going to laugh or smack me. Wink Leslie good job on your run, Biz Johnson looks really cool. Cindy holy cow your doing lots of miles!!!! I think the yoga sounds better than boot camp til your race for sure. Carol good job on the 7 miler, you will cruise on your 10k Jewels those classes sound interesting and a load also with working, parenting, running, and school. Looking forward to hearing about Kelly's crew experience with Jack. Joe, still amazes me your progress in a relatively short time! good job And a shout out to Arla hope you are getting some cooler miles these days and that life is getting back to normal!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Thanks for getting us going for the week Jim! I think pilates and yoga classes are notorious for passing wind. Seriously......how can you not! Great job on the 10 miler. Wedding/Reception yesterday so absolutely no run for me today. Between the "Electric Slide", the "Macarina", a few fast dances with my girlffriends and a couple of slow ones with my hub, the drinks were going down good! Nope, couldn't talk him into the "Electric Slide". My mom just got here so gotta go....... A big shout out to everyone! Jewels
      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Top 'O the World!

Hey Gang! Thanks for starting us out Jim! Smile good job on your 10! bet yer hip & achilles would appreciate the yoga Wink Jewels: that would be listed as "cross-training!" Big grin I bailed on my 18 for this am....rebooked for tomorrow..a bit too tire & stiff to feel enthused about it....we did indeed run the SkirtChaser 5k -w/1100 other folks. Lots of fun! Doug was somewhere towards the front of the pack! didn't place though..1st 3 were sub 5-ers!! Shocked ...... my 'original intent' yesterday am to run an easy 3-4 in the am, then an easy 5k in the eve..(shoot for back of the pack - just get in before all the beer is gone...) didn't quite fly..(see, I tell ya - I have NO self control! Roll eyes ). ..I was still feeling a bit tired from what I've done so far this wk, but still...once we started, I pushed my tired body (it's only 3 miles..isn't there a benefit to pushing through tired?)...hamstrings squauckin' (I've nver had that before!) took 4 longish walk breaks!! not a PR, but dead on my PR time fresh & w/o walk breaks...SO! Does that mean I've actually improved my abilitity? or I'm just being a "mush-brain?" mebbe I need to try one "fresh" & see before overworking that angle!@ Undecided Meantime....Oktoberfest Festivities abound! Beaver Creek last wknd, Breckenridge this wknd (Longs Peak Scottish-Irish Festival in Estes) & Frisco next weekend (along w/my niece's bachelorette party @ my house) & I forget where abouts after that...but the wedding is on the 20th, Doug's in the Boulder Backroads HM on the 21st Evil grin ......maybe I should move my long runs to mid-week! Big grin
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
          It's 8:30 p.m. We just finished canning about an hour ago. Started it all around 9:30/10:00. I'm pooped. Canned apple butter, cranberry apple butter, some kind of hot pepper and cucumber stuff, and zucchini relish. I think we have about 30 jars of apple butter alone. We got all the apples off our trees. First time in a few years that we've actually done something with the apples besides give them away or throw them away. We actually did it all without killing each other. It's a miracle! We think it's because we both had our own "thing" we had to do and, therefore, weren't in each other's way. Now I need a shower and a good night's sleep. Nite -

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Leslie......send me a jar of apple butter will ya! Yummmmmmm....I'm serious, you can send it C.O.D. Jewels

Top 'O the World!

Me too!! or I'd trade ya some Amaretto Peach Jam/syrup! didn't quite set right - possibly due to the amt of alcohol I dumped into it....or not enough sure-jell for the size batch I did...
              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                Me too!! or I'd trade ya some Amaretto Peach Jam/syrup! didn't quite set right - possibly due to the amt of alcohol I dumped into it....or not enough sure-jell for the size batch I did...
                Ooh - Never thought of putting alcohol in the stuff. Give it a kick. I think we ended up with about 50 jars of "stuff," and it looks like only one didn't seal. Not bad! We also pay a lump sum once a year to get a box of veggies each week from the local community college, which has a sustained farming program. We get boxes from about the end of June through the end of October. Hopefully, they have a bumper crop of tomatoes this year for canning. They didn't have enough last year, but the two previous years, I bought two lugs for $30. Stupidly cheap for organic tomatoes. Okay - Running. Did 5 miles this a.m. in 51:17 with about a 10:16 av pace, then did four 30-sec hill sprints at the end. Felt really good. I looked back at my running log. I started keeping track in August 2006 and started running in July 2006. On August 12, 2006, it took me 45 min to run 2.85 miles. Two short years later, I've completed an ultra trail marathon, came close to completing another, and am running a marathon in a month. Two years ago, who'd of thunk I could be done this? Big grin And most importantly, I've made new friends. Cool Have a great week, everyone! MTA - Oh, um, sending the apple butter. Want me to just box it up with a label that says "Jewels, Florida." "Cindy, Littleton, Colorado." Wink

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Ooh - Never thought of putting alcohol in the stuff. MTA - Oh, um, sending the apple butter. Want me to just box it up with a label that says "Jewels, Florida." "Cindy, Littleton, Colorado." Wink
                  Ooooh Oooooh Ooooh us too, Farmer Jim and Lynda Podunk Nebraska Smile Haven't had apple butter since my grandma used to make it!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Sounds as though Leslie better be gettin' to the post office, she's got alot of shipping to do! Wink A fabulous 5 miler this morning before work. The last 2 actually felt better than the first 3. Maybe there's hope for me after all! Jewels

Top 'O the World!

Ooh - Never thought of putting alcohol in the stuff. Wink
                      too late now, just have to have your alcohol on the side! Wink Big grin (psst: I also put alcohol into cheesecakes) We used to make apple butter all the time when I was a kid...while Grandpa still had the orchard in NW Iowa...county fairs in that neck of the woods (next several wks!) are to die for!! WTG on the 5 miler Jewels...that's what we were talking about a coupla wks ago....how the 5K's are now getting to be more "warm-ups" ....I seem to do best if I go pretty easy those first 2-3 miles, then pick it up a bit...if I go out too fast, I can't hold it for as long or go as far... Got my 18 miler done yesterday! Woo-Hoo! That was taking out a "glass ceiling" for me! I went reeeal slow...& had very few walk breaks! - mostly just for Mairead to potty & get a drink..btw: she did awesome!! It was a cool, damp day all day - we both do better in those conditions..Actually felt pretty easy for the 1st 9...then got a minor cramp in rgt adductor...stopped to do a bit of stretching & some walking it out..then went right back into it w/very little trouble...the last 3 miles seemed to kick my butt a bit at the time, & I had to talk myself into finishing it..getting a bit "mental" .. but other than a bit tired, I feel pretty good just now! Amazing! Now, I'm thinking I just have to build 8 more onto that.... Oh, and I did go to boot camp this am...hill repeats & push-ups..... Tongue re-formatting my schedule today to include nap & massage.... C.
                        (psst: I also put alcohol into cheesecakes)
                        Ouch! (rubbing the bump on my head after swooning and passing out upon reading that. me loves cheesecake!) Cindy - Are you consuming anything besides fluids when doing those higher miles? What about Mairead? This a good thread that got started on Kickrunners re running with dogs: http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36959. Had the alarm set for 4:00 'cause I had all these good intentions, but I ended up turning it off, kicking the cats out, and going back to sleep until 7:00. Oh, it felt so good! I was sooooo tired. We went to bed at 9:00, and I barely remember putting my head on the pillow. The Hub was reading last I remember. I have a group of legal secretaries studying for the California Certified Legal Secretary (CCLS) exam. It's the biggest (and only) group (9) we've had since 6 of us studied for and took the exam six years ago. Unfortunately, they want me at their study groups for awhile. Undecided So now I have yet another task on my list. I got home last night at 7:00, ate quickly, showered, then went in and worked for another hour. How you people with kids juggle all this stuff without collapsing is beyond me.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Folks- mmmmm ....apple butter....mmmmmmm I had a nice three day weekend and was on a self-imposed ban on computer activity Smile Thanks Jim for getting us going.Nice 10 miler for you! Cindy- Great report last week! Wow! That's some event! Shocked 125 miles , Holy Smokes! Really good job on your 18 too! Leslie- you're making great progress on your running! Very impressive.Thanks for the links on dog running.The one lady has an Australian Kelpie, just like Buddy (only black)! Jewels- Nice running for you as well! Glad to see that Ike will not be heading your way! Layed down the first of four 20 milers in my training plan on Sunday.That's 20.5 @ 10:10 pace.I have been trying to slow down on my long runs and have found an easy way to accomplish it ; run a ton of miles! Went well with 75* and humid ,consumed 32 oz watered down gatorade,and 3 gu's along the way.Had a little kick at the end but don't know how I would get another 5.7m after that?!?!Hope these get easier Undecided All this talk of alcohol is making me thirsty.. Tongue

Cindy, way to go on the 18 miler! Quite an accomplishment for you and Mariread! Joe, what can I say, you're just killin' it! What a pace to boot! Leslie, I've heard those exams are difficult. One of my classes is Legal Terminology and I'm already in the mode of huh? Some of these words I've never even heard of. I should have taken Latin 1 before delving into that class. Not really....... but certainly some strange terminology. Good for you for getting the certification a few years back! Jewels
                              Thanks, Jewels. The CCLS has been around for awhile, but getting recognition for it, especially among attorneys, has been slow going and at times frustrating. I was talking about the study group being put together and one of my bosses says,"Oh, I forgot you did that." Thanks. Appreciate the kudos. Evil grin It's a tough exam and takes 8 hours to complete due to the time allowed for each section. We studied for 6 months, meeting every Wednesday after work. I'm very proud to have the initials CCLS after my name and am always willing to launch into a full scale explanation when someone questions them. Joe - 20.5 miles at a 10:10 pace??? Holy smokes!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Wow, a lot of you are getting in some BIG miles! Way to go! Even an 18 miler - woohoo!! Maybe someone around here can catch up with Kelly?? Another order for apple butter here. I need to get around to baking some bread this weekend, about the only thing better than butter on fresh, hot bread is apple butter and peanut butter on homemade toasted bread, yum yum. Leslie - your bosses sound more schmucky every day. Angry Hm, where was I with the running? Got a very enjoyable 7-miler in at Yosemite, I could definitely appreciate some more running in that area, what a nice change from town, alas it's a 2+ hour drive. Heard some interesting night sounds up there, including foxes in the distance, they're so eerie-sounding with their screams. There were a couple of buck mule deer with nice racks foraging for apples on the valley floor - there are some old orchards in the area - they looked like they were enjoying it as much as I might enjoy some apple butter. Big grin Off to class... Arla

Ex runner