Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 11.25.14 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Moernin' everyone!

Sally, I also think you should get that ankle checked out so you know what you are dealing with, and how to deal with it.

Slo, congrats on a very successful RD debut, despite some really carpy weather! Just think of what you can accomplish on a nice day!

I'm glad the plumber did his magic for Marj & Henry.

Sounds like a great Thanskgiving at the Posi house!

Leslie & Holly - feel better!

6.3 RW fartlek miles this morning is 57F temps - ridiculously warm for here, now. There was some fog, but it wasn't too thick. I was fatigued at the start of the workout, but got more into it the more I got into it, and finished good and strong.

Tonight's conservation commission meeting promises to be contentious, if not combative; it's good to have something to look forward to...

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

Thanks Jay...I had a blast doing it.

Our roads are un-runnable. The wet heavy snow turned into slush and now it's rutted ice.

45 mins on a stationary bike watching the morning news this morning. For me, 45 mins on a peice of stationary equipment is like a lifetime. I don't know how people do it...but I do feel like I got a very good workout in so there is that!

I'm off for the rest of the week after today.

Tomorrow I am attempting to make my first pie(s). This is a huge deal because my Grandma made the most amazing pies. Her crusts were unbelievable. My Mom also made this same crust but hasn't made a pie since Dad passed away. Dad loved pumpkin pie. So an apple and pumpkin it will be. My family will hold me to very high standards.

Al A Mode Y'all !

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Thanksgiving Eve eve.  last day of work before we join most of the eastern seaboard in driving west tomorrow.  Good thing it's only a winter storm watch and not a warning.

My nephew is a West point grad now serving in Afghanistan.  my sister is gathering a Christmas box to be sent to each of the men in his squad, so we put together a box of wrapped goodies that we'll drop of at DS's house as we go by in the morning.  Hope it makes a tiny difference for someone a long way from home over the holidays.

3.1 miles this morning in tropical weather--55 is not exactly normal.  I was feeling at least a little sproinky and finished at a 9:15 pace.  I passed a larger gentleman who was running and said as I passed 'I think I could go that fast if I wasn't fat".  Not sure it all came out, but I tried to say that speed is all relative and that you're moving a lot faster than 99% of the town.  Hope he can stick with it.

good luck on the pies, Slo.  i'm blessed with a baking wife, so I haven't ever had to worry about that.

Hope Amy's OK, too.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.  Very grateful for a fortunate life.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

Another Tuesday hill run in adverse conditions.  7.14 miles. 30°, windy & snowy.  The hill was very soggy from all the rain yesterday so my feet gradually got wet.  But once it is done it feels great to have stuck it out.

I was the slowest today of the people who did all the hills.  And when it is cold and windy there is no stopping in-between sets to chat.  So shortly after I get finished with the last hill, off we go on the next set.  Maybe a 30 second rest for me.  Legs were like rubber by the end.

Nothing going on for Thanksgiving here.  Informal run downtown Thursday morning where people bring food donations and then go run for an hour.  Coffee afterwards at a local coffee house.  Cindy and I will probably go out for lunch.  A nephew and his wife are coming to visit on Sunday.  Other than that, just a quiet weekend at home.

King of PhotoShop

Good luck to Aamos and Mustang on their injuries.  Sal, I would get that ankle looked at and a course of treatment.  Those tiny muscles and bones in the foot take a long time to heal.

SLO, the very best advice I ever got on making pie crust is not to use very much water.  And it should be ice water.  You don't want the shortening to combine thoroughly with the flour because then it won't be flaky.  Less water, better crust.

SRD as Jay would say.  Trying something new.  SRD tomorrow as well. Jumping out of my skin!  Spareribs

Slo

SLO, the very best advice I ever got on making pie crust is not to use very much water.  And it should be ice water.  You don't want the shortening to combine thoroughly with the flour because then it won't be flaky.  Less water, better crust.

Yep,

My grandma had this sprinkler with a cork stopper that fit into the old school pop bottle to sprinkle the water. My Mom used her finger tips and flicked the water onto the dough...and yes...cold.

Henrun

The last of our tropical days for awhile. Wasn't going to run this am but couldn't resist going out for a short one in shorts and T. Met Marj on the way home after her hilly run.

although cold is returning, don't expect much snow here. We're  considering a 5K on Friday after spending turkey day with my DS and family in southern Maine.

((Sal and Aamos)). Happy Thanksgiving and easy and safe driving for those taking to the roads (and turkey day races).

Good morning gentlemen. Where are all the ladies today? Glad you like a little combat at your meetings. Good luck tonight Jay!

Sounds like a tough workout Dave. You earned that breakfast this morning.

SRD? Ribs? Did someone hack into his computer?

Bake an extra pumpkin and send it north, Slo. I wish I could get my DH to take more of an active part in the dinner preparation on Thanksgiving (or any day for that matter )  He thinks his job is carving the turkey and making sure everyone has a glass of wine or cocktail before dinner!

Have fun in Hawaii Erika. What a great way to spend the holiday weekend.

Mariposai - make sure you and Enke behave this weekend. Hope you have a great time together.

We got 4 inches of snow last night, which compared to parts of the East Coast is a drop in the bucket, but I wimped out and went to the Y for 45 minutes on the elliptical and 20 minutes on the bike. I can now do 10 unassisted full body pull-ups on the bar in the weight room. Maybe there's something to all of this training after all.  We sold our house!! And the buyers will let us rent back until our condo is completed the beginning of March. We're excited and nervous and now have a LOT of furniture to get rid of!

janie b good

3.29 TM miles. short and sweet!

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

It will be another quiet Thanksgiving for us, which is normal.  Just me, The Hub, and The Dad.  We always end up making too much food, but that means I get to send a large care package home with my pops.

Stumpy - The military folks getting those boxes will be beyond thrilled.  Good for you for being part of that.

I got in 3 slow miles this a.m., blowing chunky snot rockets and suckin' on my inhaler (TMI??).  I didn't die, though, so that's a plus; however, I do think my nose is going to fall off pretty soon.  I spent most of the night sleeping in a semi upright position so I could breath.  Bleck. I'm ready for the 4-day weekend.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tom - the robitusie has pushed the congestion up into my head which is so congested all the time anyway it probably won’t affect my Thanksgiving Day morning marathon.  Gotta love their early-remedial start though at 5am (vs. 8am regular, 7am early, 6am regular remedial, etc.).

Aamos - may I give you a hug for persevering through probably painful ankle adversity to finish I guess a PB in opposite land marathon and farthest out of any A/G win ever in your life.  Back in my Ironman days, one of the famous elite professionals sprained an ankle or something too in finale marathon at the World Championships in Kona, Hawaii.  It’s not that unusual an occurrence after their full bore swimming for 2.4 miles and the relentless 112 miles of cycling through the moonscape-like lava fields that follows but, instead of bailing out for the understandable DNF usual for these situations as there’s nothing it it for them anymore anyway, he limped on to finish with the commoner masses saying, “it would be a shameful dishonoring of the glory of the Ironman to quit.”
                        Uhmmm slo, good luck on the pies but maybe it’s a good thing you’re a good runner.
                        mariposai - now that you're a certified Cougar Mountain goddess too, don’t try to trick enke into running on your favorite hills around town over there.  Hope the weather’s okay for a ridge run though.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

C-R

Good luck with that meeting Jay.

Slo getting into the pastry chef business. Cool. I am inspired to make some cheesecake tonight.

Ribs - nice article yesterday. Spot on.

Stumpy - Tell your nephew thanks from my family and be safe.

I know what you mean Dave. Glad you stuck out that workout and me mine. 6.4 miles for me today. Slow but steady.

Have fun with the snow Jlynne

Glad you didn't die Leslie.

A Friday 5k would be good but they only have Thursday one's here. Have fun Henry.

Here's hoping Amy is doing alright.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

stumpy77 that is really nice of you to send those boxes off to our men and women serving in Afghanistan.  Good luck with your drive.

About Thanksgiving.  I have a tip.  Do not buy canned cranberry sauce.  Do not do it!  Really, making your own cranberry sauce is really, really easy!  Plus it will be way better.  Need a recipe?  Go to my Allrecipies page and get my Drunken Cranberry Sauce recipe.  I tell you it will be by far the best cranberry sauce you have ever had.  Here is the entire ingredient list:  cranberries (duh!), allspice, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, sugar, water and rum.  That is all you will need.  That plus a pot to cook the stuff in and a cheese cloth to put the spices in and then remove when done.

As to running I am working on getting my "long run" back up in miles.  Today was an easy 8 miles.  I was surprised to find that I ran it in a 9:10 or so pace.  Not bad at this point, not bad.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Dare I try to post here again??

Been wanting to rejoin the group for a while now, but it's been so long, I think I need a reintroduction. So here goes...

I'm Esther, a.k.a. OrangeMat, a.k.a. OM, and I just qualified for Boston at the Philly Marathon on Sunday. And everything I ever learned about running, from when I first started in 2007 or so, I learned from this group. So I'm here to say THANK YOU!!

And now the tricky part will be to actually keep up with the goings-on here. Smile

Slo

Hi ya stranger!

What an awesome time you turned in...that was pretty cool OM.