Masters Running

Wednesday, 8.26.15 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' kids.

Condolences to Leslie and her family over the passing of her dad. It's never easy.

We had a very good and productive conservation commission meeting last night. Even though we kept things moving pretty well, it was still a 2.5 hour session. Today, I have a meeting at 9:30am, and then no more till 7pm. Tough week, and I'm getting fried.

I slept in a bit this morning, but was still out by 5 for a quick 3.5 mile RW workout. It's still nastily muggy here, but rumor has it that the air is supposed to start to dry out tonight.

Gotta go.

Keep smiling and have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good mornin'

Just 6 easy after last night; even our leader told us to take it easy due to the heat yesterday.  Workout was 2 x 400s; 1 x 800, three times.  I kept getting slower; fortunately, we got some sprinkles just as my group hit the last 800, pshew.

And DH grilled some excellent salmon when I got home.

And it's hump day.

And the news is reporting the firefighters have a handle on the fires in the PNW.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

I habda crud.....scratchy throat and carpy cough.  Ah well, I think it has been a while, so perhaps I am due....

Tet - let's plan on it!

5.2 miles for me today in 57 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker the words "very good" and "meeting" should never appear in the same sentence.  Yesterday, I had a "very good" meeting and it went "well" and I hope not to have another one.  Alas, there will be more.  

deez4boyz beer bread!  Yahoo!!!    More than makes up for having to go to a meeting yesterday!

Holly S. I hope you feel better soon.

I got myself up and out the door for my first run in 10 days.  The good news is there was no pain in my lower left abdomen.  The bad news is I am slow as molasses from all the time off.   In other good news it is hatch chili season!!  The season is really, really short so if you see some in your local store just grab them!  Next get them home, blacken the skins, sweat the pepper for 20 minutes, peel off the skins and add to all sorts of things.  Here is one of my favorite recipes that uses them:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pork-chile-verde-with-red-chile-salsa-363730.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hope you feel better soon, Holly! And I'll check to see what's going on with the meetup. I'm not directly in the loop on it so am just reporting on what I heard last.

I knew it was cool when I went out for a run this morning, but didn't know it would have me wishing I'd worn some light gloves -- in August! Anyway it was a good one, getting in 7 miles at an EZ 10:45 pace. Since it was cool, I didn't take any water along, counting on the drinking fountain at the side of the trail at the turnaround point, only to find that it was shut off for some reason. But it wasn't too much of an issue and I made it back to the next-closest one with no problem.

I hope it's nice and cool as well for your next run!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

I am so sorry Leslie.

Holly, good for your son. He will thrive. Glad to hear about that workshop too.  I made Hudson promise to write every day as the Saint misses him terribly.  Yesterday he wrote:

Hello mother, hello father
              I would call but don't want to bother
              I am making lots of new friends
              And I promise I'll only party on the weekends

My friend Michael went to a party
              I tried to coach him like Vince Lombardi
              But he came home inebriated
              I'm just glad that he had fun and celebrated

I like my bedsheets and my TV
              The color's nice and it suits me
              I just hope that I keep my dorm clean
              And I don't treat it like it's just some kind of latrine

That kid cracks me up. I have no idea how he knows the song from which this came.

Got 11 miles in at about a 10:44 pace.  Warm day but not humid so I was okay.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Sorry I missed the sad conclusion of zig's travails with some of the health don't-care givers. Dad and family deserved better.

Holly - we can start making provisional plans for 2016 after I scout out appropriate and fitting logistics when I'm down there for this year's overseas reunion of the Japan Joyfuls.  Next year's'll be the 10th anniversary of the 2006 Portland Marathon Boomer reunion when someone ran their first marathon and someone else's was his fastest marathon ever since then.   She's been getting faster and faster and, along with another reunion goddess there too, has qualified for Boston several times, if not all the time.  Let's twist their arms too.

eta

Dear Dad:

No mon.

No fun.

- your son

Dear Son:

Too bad.

So sad.

- your dad

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

4.3 slow, but cool miles (finally below 60F in the mornings!)

It's Wednesday, you know what that means?  Date night!!!  Woohoo!

Mexican restaurant tonight.  This weekend, we are going to a cooking class at a French restaurant.  Should be fun and delicious!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

C-R

Hi everyone.

My condolences and prayers Leslie.

Get better Holly.

I'm with twocat - good and meeting don't collide in the same sentence. But I'm glad things are going better Jay.

Nice Ribs. Oh and happy belated birthday.

I know what you mean roch. The midwest temps are getting very fallish. Yay.

Got a nice 10k at lunch. My marathon training plan is actually going ok. I decided to give a true effort at following a training plan which includes one day off a week. So far so good.

Oh and found out I now have a project in Germany. Near Kaiserslauten. Will have several trips and get a chance to see my brother and his family. It will be nice to catch up

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

evanflein

I had to go back and read Tuesday's entire thread as I missed a lot. Got back at 2:15 a.m., then had to drive home.

Ribs, dinner was great but it was a bummer to miss you and the Saint. Beans and rice would've been fun!

So sorry, Leslie. I agree that you all have been through so much. Hugs to you and your brother.

I'm loving Enke's groove! So happy for you, friend!

It sees there are a lot of possible race meet ups in discussion. I'm not sure what is going on! But, I've got plans for September so probably no issue, right? But next year? And I don't have Michigan yet since I didn't run Charlie boy....

It sure is hot in Dallas. I just don't think I could do that... Although it's colder than crap here now, windy and rainy. Yuk, who imported Anchorage weather?? I brought everything for an outdoor run though, including gloves. We could have heavy rain and high winds tonight. Sure hope this all goes away soon, I was really looking forward to a nice September!

New skirt in town

So sad to hear of Leslie's father's passing.  {{{Leslie}}}

I was struck down by a GI illness on Friday, and only today have I felt back to normal.  In fact, several of us in the office were struck down...and a surprise inspection of the restaurant suspected of supplying the tainted salads we all ate resulted in them being shut down yesterday. Aquitaine, in case anyone in the area is wondering...

Yesterday I attempted a 5 mile run which was terrible.  I think my GI tract was back to normal, but I was so depleted after days of not eating and dehydration that it was a total slog.  My appetite came roaring back yesterday and I ate a hearty 3 meals.  This morning I reaped the benefits: it was 70F and 94% humidity, but my 9.4 miles was such a joy!

It's good to feel healthy again.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Glad you're feeling better Robin.

Hope you feel better real soon, Holly.

I did 12, tonight.  8 at tempo.  74o and calm...very nice.

Okay--that's it--gotta go.  See ya!

Well, I did a drive-by post last week and then forgot about it!!  I'm sorry and thank you for all the cheery hellos.

Posalina, I'm hoping those rains will hurry...  Holly, take care & get well.  I'm hearing little rumors about a Portland marathon meet up -- woot!

2.75 miles for run steak day 15.  Feeling happy to be back in the groove.

To all you lateniks out there, have a wonderful evening!

run *streak* day, that is

Mariposai

Posalina, I'm hoping those rains will hurry...  Holly, take care & get well.  I'm hearing little rumors about a Portland marathon meet up -- woot!

Fear not...the rain goddess has no plan for healthy rain for us for the next three months

Until then...we don't want rain that is going to bring more lightening strikes to burn more land.

Sorry to be such a downer lately....maybe the lack of running and working 15 hour shifts, 12 at my regular work and 3+6 hours at night for social work is getting on me.

BTW, all of us in this poor county is doing the same shift work...so I am not a hero. All of us are doing it. USA frontier people are resilient folks.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard