Masters Running

Almost Spring Daily March 3rd (Read 41 times)

Hard to believe it's only 17 days until Spring!

The race I'm RD of was yesterday and well it started snowing at 5am. Races are half marathon at 8:45 and 9am for 5k. Had about 1 of snow by 7:30 and the course and plowed. It kept snowing and had 2 more inches on the roads by the end of the 5k. Snow stopped about 9:45

The forecast was for 3-5 so kept our numbers were way down but we still made a little money. The course is pretty hilly so it made for some adventures in running.

Off to the soup kitchen to donate our leftover bagels and apples!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Dave59

Sarge - Nice work putting on a race in all that snow.

-11 and sunny here today.  I hit the basement treadmill for a little 3 mile run with 4x440 at a 5k effort.  Busy day ahead and I didn't get up early enough for anything longer than 3.

Marathon Maniac #957

Sarge - Nice work putting on a race in all that snow.

+1

Dave - short but speedy...

No run for me today, 40 minutes or so of core and strength training.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning all,

Condolences and "aak!" to everyone dealing with stormy, icy weather and streets.  I can only imagine how weary y'all must be of it, yet people are posting resiient runs!  Amazing folks here.    Like Karin, who tosses off a 24 mile training run in zippy time.

Deez, get better soon.

Mike E, sorry to read about your Chad. Wish I had brillilant words of comfort, just thinking of you and the community.

Mike, yes, 8:30 goes out the window, as Bhryl said (and good running, there, matey!)

Jlynne, interesting Tri, done by time; I like that approach.  Have yo done others like that?

Twocat, yes, and hope you are totally mended soon.  Our game was on the radio Sunday; it was so wonderful to hear Joe Castiglione's voice again announcing the play by play.  He also interviewed a Boston Marathon official for quite some time.

Holly, hang in there.  You'll get your speed back.  Really.

Erika, glad you are having decent weather; you're quite restrained in reporting on how good it is, in deference to most of the rest of the country suffering through awful winters.  Glad you are healthy.  After decades of working, I have to say, I find most meetings overlong, under productive and b-o-r-i-n-g.

Robin, nice skirt!  Nice knees, too!

TomS, glad that you got in the race

Modified to add, Yes, Sarge, most impressive!  Did anyone read about Little Rock?  Sounds like a mess; some runners were told the race was cancelled but the RDs say no, so no refunds.....yet I saw a picture purporting to be a volunteer holding a sign saying the race was cancelled due to extreme weather.  It was rerouted.

Had fun this weekend.  One of my running chums here is from across the pond and quite witty.  I ran 8 miles with her Saturday, including a bridge crossing.  I always come away from our times together feeling as if I've spent time with British actress Emma Thompson, whom I very much admire.  Tina's voice has a similar timbre and her observations on life are always uplifting and/or amusing.  Ran 4 slow warm-up miles before a half marathon Sunday, so 17 overall, although it seems almost wrong to count the warm ups ......except I ran 8 this morning and they were really, really slow.  And I'm counting them.    Had a negative split at the race, 7:52 pace for the first half of the half, then 7:46 in the second half (and the second half had a bridge crossing, one mile over and then another back again, mile 7 to 8 to 9).  Last mile was 7:27.

Planning on running the Asheville marathon in 2 weeks, on the Biltmore estate in North Carolina.  Anyone know anything about it?  Going with friends from here, who chose it, so I'm pretty much in the dark.  Except for it is 26.2 miles and some of it is not on paved roads (danger, Aamos, danger ).

Stay with it and soon we'll have Monday morning behind us!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

wildchild

Carolyn

Ran 4 slow warm-up miles before a half marathon Sunday, so 17 overall, although it seems almost wrong to count the warm ups ......except I ran 8 this morning and they were really, really slow.  And I'm counting them.    Had a negative split at the race, 7:52 pace for the first half of the half, then 7:46 in the second half (and the second half had a bridge crossing, one mile over and then another back again, mile 7 to 8 to 9).  Last mile was 7:27.

grins,

A

If we couldn't count really, really slow miles, I'd have a zero most days!    Speedy racing for you, Amy, and congrats on the negative split!!

Sarge, that's tough when not only do you have bad weather on race day, but you're the RD!  Glad you made it through okay.

Yesterday I set out to do 20 miles - I was running in screw shoes on the plowed dirt roads at home.  I decided to bail after 12 miles because I wasn't having any fun, and if it's not fun, you're doing something wrong.  It felt like 12 miles in the snow uphill both ways, like when we walked to school as kids... 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Rest day for me.  I had last Winter Series race [hosted by local running club] yesterday, a half marathon  It was make-up for a cancelled race earlier in February due to snow, ice, and tree damage in the park.  Lots of hills, ovecast skies, and damp temps around 33-35F.  I was not really motivated to run it as a race, so I ran it as a training run instead for the miles.  Surprisingly I still managed to do 1:47:48 which is not to bad given lack of training last month. Actually had fun or at least on the last loop anyway. 

More snow this morning but not much, just brutal wind and temps.  Warmer temps predicted later this week...hopefully.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

King of PhotoShop

Well done Sarge!

Nice negative splits Amy.  I recall you did a marathon some years ago in negative splits. It's hard to do.

17 degrees here and I didn't have a scarf or ski mask so I packed it in early. Schools all closed, but why I have no idea. Roads are all clear.  We're babies these days here in TX.

I finally got around to doing a post on the Dallas Morning News site about jackets tied around the waist. People are already biting.

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2014/03/city-council-bans-runners-from-wearing-jackets-tied-around-their-waists.html/

Spareribs

I am just stalling here.  I decided to work from home so that I can get in a run and a haircut today.  But the barber is closed on Mondays.    Yea, I should have known.  It is 17° out right now and that is just below where I am willing to go out to run.  So, it is either the TM now or see if warms up a few degrees and go out this afternoon.  On the good news front, at least for us, that huge snow storm tracked south of us and we got what looks like no snow!  Arctic temperatures, but no snow.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

...Ice, Snow, Sleet, and Aaaaak here today......

==========

going in for a Physical tomorrow>>>>>>>>expect a Cholesterol Race in your near future........

ps

Aaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkk

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Good morning to all.

Sarge - good job as RD on a not so nice weather day.

Aamos - great negative split and not to mention the pace.  WOW.

sunny and warm here.  8.5 miles before the sun came up, then 5 more slow and easy mile this afternoon.   Now its off to bed for me.  Kidda reminds me of the movie groundhog day.

For all of you that are braving the cold, snow and icy conditions, stay safe and warm.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Mike, I love the pictures of your grandkids in their robes.  NHLA, it's always nice to get your scenery pictures.  deez, good job in the Black Cat 20 miler.  Holly, sometimes, It's awful the way some parents set such a bad example for their kids at their sporting events.  jlynne, nice mini tri.  deez, I hope you feel better.  tet, good 3/4 of a marathon.  sarge, kudos for putting on a race in snowy conditions.  Aamos, good job in your half.  shadow, ditto for your half.

Nice long runs for enke, CNY (a couple), NHLA, evan, and wild.

This morning, it was another TM day.  8 miles at a 10:51 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Ribs - 

Aamos - nice HM!  And I agree with Carolyn about the slow miles....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Did I hear someone say aaaack?

Good work sarge.

Don't know anything about the marathon aamos but I do like taking the tour and their wines are very good. Have fun with it.

snerk Ribs snerk. Schools closed for 18 degrees? Really. I won't tell my kids who trudged off to walk to school when it was 3 this morning (its only at the end of our subdivision and not uphill both ways)

Nice 10k at lunch today. Sunny but very biting cold. My hamstrings are still sore from Sat track races. Wow. Didn't see that coming.

Have a great one.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Nice recap Amy - thank you!!

I am definitely feeling better - thanks to all sending healing thoughts my way, but wasn't up to a 4:45 wake up call and a 12 hour day so took a sick day.  Dragged myself to the gym and did an easy pilates class then 4.2 SLOW miles on the treadmill - I would call them easy, but they were anything BUT easy!!  Now time to see if I can expand my food diet for the day -- still treading gingerly in that area!!

Ribs - I'm sure you mean 17 with a wind chill factor making it feel like 0 right??

Sarge - great job as RD!!

denise

King of PhotoShop

Actually Norm, now that I think about it, Deez is right. It was 17 and windy so I guess there was a bit of wind chill factor. We're up to about 30 something now, the sun is blazing away and the roads are perfectly clear.  Spareribs