Masters Running

Thu Jan 8 Runs and etc (Read 543 times)

Good morning! Windy, 36°F, but no rain Woke up 15 minutes before alarm clock at 3:30 -- could have used the extra sleep -- I hate it when that happens. Good discussion yesterday. I think I'm running my "GA" pace a little too fast as this is about the pace that I have been finishing my marathons at (even though I try to run them faster). For me at least, I have tried the experiment and this doesn't mean MP is actually faster. It just means this is relatively easy for the distances I am running. Around about mile 18 this clearly ceases to be "easy" Roll eyes 8.2 miles, 1:06:13, 8:08/mi, AHR 154

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Good morning Lou. Due to the weekend cheering on Erika, I'm not sure what if any running is going to get done. Tomorrow morning is unlikely as The Game is tonight, so it'll be a late one. So I switched things up and ran the weekend MLR this morning. 12.2 miles at 8:38 min/mile pace. I was hoping to see something more around 8:20 but I'm happy with it regardless. Avg HR 143. Erika must have brought some of her weather with her as the H&H left nicely last night. Go Gators! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

The Jogger

Morninbg Lou & Bill Two great runs with excellent HR's, I'm jealous Smile I tried a new type of running today landing forefoot first but found it a bit awkward. So only did it for the first 2 1/2 m I think it is Chi running but I need to read up more on it. Anyway, myself and Woody out for a 6m hilly ish trail run, cool breeze about 40F I guess nothing as cold as yesterday. 6m 10:40 pace AHR 154 Good Runs All Roy

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice runs Lou and Byll! I promised to incorporate longer LT (tempo) runs this training cycle and now with PBJ back, I had to try a PBJ Special (8 miles in an hour). Nice 38F and clear, calm. 2 miles warm-up wuth Tory at 9:03 pace then..... (drum roll).. 8.0 miles in 59:52 (7:29 pace, AHR 164, max 171)... nailed it! I'm happy! Overall: 10.0 miles in 1:17:58 (7:47 pace)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Great runs this morning for Lou, Bill and Perch! Lou – I know what you mean about waking up before the alarm…actually I haven't used an alarm clock in 25 years, but I have been waking up about 15 minutes or so earlier than my internal alarm has been set at for the past week or so…better last night though, maybe I fixed it. Confused Bill – I have to be honest, I wasn’t rooting for Miami this past weekend but I will be rooting for your Gators tonight, personally I think Tim is the best Quarterback in college football right now…maybe the best overall football player as well…so yeah Go Gators! ETA - Give Erika my best wishes for a nice run Sunday - I see the latest weather forecast is calling for a high of only 71 and a few showers...that could be good for the marathoners. Perch – way to nail that run…SWEET!! Smile Well I’m going to try a wave run after work today except that I have to make it an 11 miler due to time limitations. My goal will be to do a couple miles SLOW at about 8:45 pace, then 2 MP miles at about 7:37 each followed by an easy 8:15 or so mile, then 2 HM miles at about 6:53 each followed by the easy 8:15 miles then a 1 mile cool down at about 8:45 again. I am really looking forward to trying this and will keep it in my schedule at least for awhile to see how things pan out in the long run. Now I just have to be disciplined and stick to the plan. Wink A long night of cleaning up snow and ice from yesterdays storm and I woke up to another 1/2 inch or so on the driveway this morning...CRAP! Another storm heading our way for Saturday night into Sunday could make for an interesting run Sunday morning. Have a great day everyone. Big grin
              Yeah Maine. I was a little worried that Erika might get a warmer day, but it looks perfect. The low in Orlando looks to be 100 degrees warmer than her hometown temps the other day (-45F EEK!) 2 years ago at Disney (my 1st Full) it was very H&H. A year before that it was cold (30's and windy). You never know down here. Erika was whining that they start Disney so early. I told her you never know what you're going to get at the Fla. races. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Yeah Maine. I was a little worried that Erika might get a warmer day, but it looks perfect. The low in Orlando looks to be 100 degrees warmer than her hometown temps the other day (-45F EEK!) 2 years ago at Disney (my 1st Full) it was very H&H. A year before that it was cold (30's and windy). You never know down here. Erika was whining that they start Disney so early. I told her you never know what you're going to get at the Fla. races. Bill
                You got that right, my first ever Marathon was Disney in 04 and it is still the coldest yet! I'll never forget waiting around for what seemed like forever for the race to start...of course it could have something to do with the fact that it was my first and I just wasn't quite as prepared in that respect as I probably should have been. Now regardless of where I go I bring everything so that I can make a race morning decision on what to wear etc. I'm leaning heavily on running the "Goofy" next year...just one of those foolish things I want to do...my DW has a cousin who lives in Ocala and wants us to come down for a visit so we could incorporate that into it...we'll see. My friend Brian has been running Disney for the past few years and the I know the heat and humidity or both for that matter have been problematic these last few years. If the weather holds and he has a good run he has a chance to break close to 3:15 this year.
                  Maine, don't dawdle if you want to run the Goofy. It literally fills up in a week or two. (There are a lot of Goofy people! I might do it too.) Bill

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Blah - I just cannot get up in the morning!! Plus I still don't dare run outside yet .... nothing last night other than playing some Wii Fit games with my daughter that came home for the evening. I'll do somehing on the TM tonight - promise.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good morning, gentlemen. Great runs by all. It hasn't warmed up here in Wisconsin, and everything is still ice-covered and very slippery after the storm last weekend, so it was back to that most famous torture device: the dreadmill. 5.25 miles at a 9:31 pace, followed with inclined lunges and some core exercises. I had the pleasure of hearing Bart Yasso speak last night. He was the guest for the kick-off party for the Green Bay Marathon. What an incredible person! He showed pictures of some of his runs, talked about his work at Runner's World and how it's taken him to some exciting parts of the world. His recap of the Backwater 148 was hilarious, and he was kind enough to do a Q&A session after he was done talking. I didn't realize he was suffering from lyme (is that how it's spelled?) disease. He seems like a great human being. There were over 200 people at the party, and this is the first year they plan on capping the entries: 10,000 total for the 5K, 1/2 and full marathon. First training run is this Saturday, but the weather forecast looks brutal. It seems like it's either snowing here (another 4-6 inches predicted for tomorrow), or it's near zero with strong winds. I'm crying uncle! Stay warm, everyone.
                        Maine, don't dawdle if you want to run the Goofy. It literally fills up in a week or two. (There are a lot of Goofy people! I might do it too.) Bill
                        Yes there are alot of Goofy people aren't there (and I guess we are two of them). I am aware that it fills up fast which is why I am actually thinking about it now. I'll make the decision soon so that as soon as registration opens I can sign up, I would say the chances are pretty good right now that I'll do it.
                        Tramps

I’ve got a hard enough time waking up after the alarm. Waking up before the alarm is never a problem for me. Nice runs this morning, especially Bill’s sproinky 12-miler and Perch’s PBJ special! (I’m hoping to be able to do one of those soon.) Easy 10.2 @ 8:25 today. Plenty of tricky black ice, especially coming down the big hills.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Well, what am I excited about today? Bob is going to do his first wave run, which he will positively nail! Perch had a magnificent run! Good for him. We had a great exchange of ideas yesterday. I thought today what a problem it is for these people that they run too fast! How I would like to suffer from it too. And Jeanne got to meet Bart Yasso. Yes, his talks are wonderful. I am also excited to go out in a few minutes with the Saint and do 2-3, just to test my butt. I'll let you know how that goes. This afternoon I am working for a couple of hours at a local running store for packet pickup for our race on Saturday. This morning I have a lipid panel check at the cardiologist's office to see how well the Crestor is dealing with my cholesterol. I will also join others who miss DickyG. What a great sense of humor he has, and a terrific athlete too. Spareribs
                            dg.

good morning! late as usual but want to post something quick. just skimmed so far today. Mary, nice to have you back. SR, best of butt luck to you. I've said it before, but DickyG.... you really are missed. I hope you're ok. i was part of the sleep in brigade yesterday. weird. don't know why. a day off for the most part, besides snow shoveling. a great discussion yesterday. i had nothing to offer but interest, so didn't post. back at it today, 2 days butt rest. still sore, but it may be ok to work back in gradually, will see how 'things' are today. took it easy. 4.04 miles, 9:32 av pace, 7:25 max. ahr 168, mhr 185. miles 10:23, 9:08, 9:15, 9:10. I had an upset stomach which made the run a little tough. then 12 min. on the bike (time was a problem) & 2 sets on the weight machines.
                              Slo

I'm so glad to hear about others having a hard time getting out of bed. ......ME TOO..... I REALLY need to get back to swimming and if I'm going to break 50 mpwk's then I'll need to do some two-a-days. I've been using the excuse that this is my "Off" week and the extra 1 1/2hr in bed is a good thing. For those off you getting out for the pre-dawn runs and workouts....I do envy you. There is nothing like starting the day after a good run or a 3000 m swim. But then again, it's awfully tough to follow up on a good workout up with an Ice Cold Beer if it's 6 in the am and you have to go to work. Wink Great Runs......I enjoy reading about them and great discussion yesterday!