Masters Running

The last day of July daily, 7/31 (Read 35 times)

Mariposai

Last chance to run in July!

Enjoy the gift! !

Celebrate life!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

BlazinCajun

SteveP - Congratulations again and just love her name

Mariposai - love your posts

Congrats Ribs on doing so well on your sixth anniversary of your hospital visit.

TammyinGP - Hope you get that AC fixed soon. The new units are so much more efficient.

MikeE - Senior or Senor games? Sounds like a fun atmosphere

Treadmill workout today - Check! Looking forward to our daughters coming home today - so the household population doubles, nice!

Andrew
      ------------------
      God, my Lord, is my strength;
      he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
      and enables me to go upon the heights.
      Hb 3:19

Sayhey! MM#130

yeah, as our leader today said, run on!

(except Tammy, as there's no AC at her house and it's 100.  She gets a day off there.)

Hey, $650 is outstanding, Mari (and as Holly put it so succinctly, "sweet!")

Happy Belated birthday, jlynne.  Hope you did more than sleeping in until 4:30 am to celebrate it.

Hi baby Norah!  (One of my earliest cats was Nora, a sweetie who, like Tag, enjoyed chasing bunnies outside.)  I was thinking with the "yet to be determined," we could nickname her Yeti.

Ribs, I like being in a duo with tet, and especially when we can be annoying you!  Seriously, glad to have that 6 year anniversary behind you and see you and Saint running strong.  Condolences on the sad anniversary of Joe's death.

Yes, GO Mike!  Get out there and just smoke those other guys.

Where IS Jay?

Good taking it easy, Erika.  Stay healthy for the marathon!

tw, that was fun.  My high school town has a large Finnish contingent.  There are even saunas in town, and it's just a little place in Massachusetts (154 in my graduating class).

Cajun and Holly have schedules beyond busy with the kiddoes.  Hats off to them and all you parents; we don't tell you enough.

Stayed in the neighborhood last night (no fun run) and ran my own 10K, but slower since no peeps around.  Only the last mile was sub 8.  Just 3.5 easy peesy ones this am, with a stop at the Bagel Factory for Saturday's breakfast (yes I freeze 'em) and I hope Speedsters tonight.

Happy Anticipating the Weekend Day, everyone!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Tramps

Ribs--a belated happy anniversary. I don't know how many people I've told about your amazing attitude and resiliency.

(I had to go deep into the archives for that one!)

The Minnesota Senior Games have no idea what they've just done.  Go get 'em, Mike!

Steve--much better name.

3 tempo miles today as part of a 6-miler.  I think I'm running these too fast for my fitness level right now and I plan on slowing down a bit next time. They felt more difficult than they should.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Yes, Ribs has been an inspiration to us through the years. Happy anniversary!

Speedy Aamos, pass that bagel, please. Have fun with the speederster tonight.

Erika, take it easy!

Andrew, thanks. Ohh enjoy your family time.

Baby Norah is adorable.

Here is the tiny cake that was sold for $650 last night at the Rotary Action to benefit the fire victims. I am still amazed at how high the cake went. People are so generous.

Back from my run. 9.50 miles,  6 with my RP chatting away as we meandered along the river bank. That was fun!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

and worth every last dollar, Mariposai! That's a beautiful cake!  

Norah is adorable! look at all that hair!

Happy Anniversary to Ribs - a true inspiration and great role model for sure!

We got the A/C working yesterday afternoon. A small, inexpensive replacement part. . . this time. But it's old and will need to be replaced, so we'll start doing our homework on new models and find out what is best for our budget. But no matter how you slice it, it'll be an expensive home improvement. But yes, the newer models are so much more efficient that it should help our ginormous heat bill during the couple of months where it's coldest here and we typically see a $350-$400/monthly bill (and this is for a 1200 sqft house!).

If I run at least .10 tonight, I end up on a prime number, but I'm not even saying what prime number it is because it's so pathetically low. 

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Mariposai - that looks yummy!

Tammy - 17 years is pretty old for a heat pump.  And you are right, a newer, high efficiency unit can really save you in the long run.

3 miles for me this morning, and some core work.  Tonight I will try my friend Renee's 45 minute weight training class.  This class is followed by a 45-minute Pilates class and then a 45-minute yoga class, but with my LR tomorrow, I will likely only do the first one.  She has just begun teaching these on Tuesdays and Thursdays at a local church, so I will hopefully be joining as often as I can.  Only $3/class, so Tuesday I may stay for all three!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Got out for 5 miles at lunch so I could make it to 100 for the month.

I was kind of tired and my foot (that I turned last week) was slightly sore, but leaving the monthly total at 95 just seemed wrong.

Got to buzz back to work.  My new role as more of a people person is less flexible than when I was mainly a programmer.

BlazinCajun

Mariposai - where do you get the time to create a cake so beautiful?

Here we go again - So AamosY, we get a hot bagel whenever we run, right? Nice run!

TammyinGP - Congratulations on the AC repair. We used wood heat this year with one of those efficient wood stoves without the blower. Redesigned our home explicitly for wood heat. The main room (kitchen,dining, living) of the house became a gathering area for our girls and my youngest quickly became an expert lighting and managing the wood stove. Firewood is one of those sustainable heat sources as long as your replant what you use, scavenge what is available, or thin an actively growing woodlot.

Andrew
                    ------------------

TammyinGP

I wish we had wood heat!  I live on 13 acres with 11 of it wooded, and we've been thinning to create better defensible space and not able to use the wood we are cutting.  Adding a wood stove and the clearances it would require on the pipe ,because it's a 2 story (bedrooms upstairs), would be a fairly major construction project, which unfortunately we are just not in a position to take. Although the heat that radiates from wood is SO much warmer than any kind of heat. . . it might be worth re-examining costs again though.

Tammy

Tammy, sorry to hear that there are fires near you but glad to know you're ok.  Steve, great pictures of the new granddaughter.  Jlynne, happy birthday.

This morning, it was in the mid 50s and there was just a light breeze.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:25 pace.

We're packing up the truck and pop up camper for our annual family reunion in Ludington.  We hope to get off mid morning tomorrow.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Tramps

Tammy--it's less efficient and produces more creosote but you can always vent a freestanding wood stove through the wall to a vertical chimney outside.  You'll avoid the second floor issues and cut the complexity (and likely the cost) of the install considerably.

TomS--have a great trip!

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

Made it home yesterday after work but it was a struggle. I guess I was paying for that good run on Sunday. Never felt like I found my stride almost the entire run, legs felt heavy. Bleh. A little into my second mile I met Trackrat on the bike path, or rather he came up behind me and said Hi. We ran together for a bit, maybe 300' or so, and I waved him on. He made it up the hill and through the intersection easily, I had to stop for cars. By the time I got going again, he was just a distant white blur way up ahead. Nice run, Roger! You make it look so easy. I plugged along and struggled up the hill to home, then drank 3 big glasses of water and ice tea. 10.1 miles of rolling hills and heavy legs.

We have big issues with wood heat around here. Most homes run on heating oil (diesel) and it's extremely expensive. Lots of talk to get natural gas here, but transportation/delivery is a big issue. A lot of (if not most) homes seem to have wood stoves of varying efficiency, and the big problem is people burning wood that isn't dry enough. Real bad PM2.5 issues and problems; we violate EPA standards several times a winter it seems. We have an old Blaze King stove but we hate it and will take it out when we redo our roof. It dominates the living room but burns too hot in one spot of the house. We might get a small pellet stove later, much more efficient and easier to use. The local borough government is still offering cash for trade ins on old inefficient stoves, so we might see if we can qualify for that.

The cake is amazing, Mariposai, I can see why it sold well. Good for you for doing that.

The baby is adorable... Norah and Noah? Hmmm.... interesting, but a good name for her.

Have fun with the fam, tselbs!

I'll run later sometime, just need 3.9 for a prime and given how my legs felt yesterday, that might be about right.

BlazinCajun

Tammy--it's less efficient and produces more creosote...

Tramps - That is what I thought as well and I was so surprised. I grew up with one of those old smoke dragons. However; those new stoves are designed for the combustion of wood with a 20% or less moisture content. The secondary combustion is designed to re-burn the smoke before it exits the dwelling. We burned southern yellow pine, oak and pecan and at the end of the season the double walled insulated chimney was as clean as a clean whistle. You just don't see any smoke except a little when you first light the stove. The stove that we use was manufactured in Canada and is classified as 85% efficient. We kept the temperature between 70-80° F.  It does take some planning of cutting, stacking, drying and storing. I have three cords of drying fire wood gathered and hand split during the southern ice storm we had down here in February. We also have a backup heat pump for heat and if I had to select a heat pump again I would use natural gas as the emergency heat source vs. the heat strips. We did not use the heat pump at all for heat all winter.

Andrew
                              ------------------

Good seeing you Erika, my run was 10.1 as well. I cut up on Auburn and took the Equinox Ultra trail (approx mile 27-31) and Skyline Ridge. Felt pretty good, esp. since I did my first tempo in 6 weeks on Tuesday and was concerned about making it all the way back. Started at 463 ft at the river, climb from about 550 to 1500 from 3 to 7, with some ups and downs. Flatter miles were at 7:30-8:00 pace, the hill/trail miles were 9:30-10:30.

Ran to the mail box and got my MSR award in the mail. Did you get yours yet? Better than last year, but prefer the plaque!