Masters Running

Thu Dec 4 Runs and Workouts (Read 519 times)

Good morning, master runners! Looking at the 40°F temperature, I wondered if I'd be dressing too warm with shorts, but long sleeve and short sleeve shirt. But when I went outside it had started raining, so my clothing was perfect. Thankfully the rain stopped 5 or 10 minutes into the run, else it would have been somewhat unpleasant. 9 miles general aerobic / steady state / easy -- whatever. 9.2 miles, 1:15, 8:10/mi, AHR 149 Good runs, all!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Women will never be equal to men... until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy. Good morning Lou, and everyone else. Nice 9.2 miles Lou and a very good pace Smile In a hurry, cause of some early morning dead lines I must meet , so a quick post of my workout last night - 1 hour of pool running, and 45 minutes of lap swimming with 8 - 50 meter repeats done all out...about 45 TO 50 seconds each 50 meters. Great workout, but again on the boring side, but oh well. I was sooo tired and sleepy last night, that I kept almost dosing off while pool running. Boy, I am still really sore from my weight work Tues night...but feels good to be sore actually. Ya know something? At my Y they have the mens and wimmins locker room doors side by side of each other out off the pool area. Lets just say, I don't see very well without my glasses on....guess which locker room I walked into accidentally and tried to find my locker Embarrassed. Thanks goodness the women in there thought it was funny, because some of them said they had accidentally gone into the mens...darn, wish I would have had my glasses on now Big grin Have a great day and runs all. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Thanks for that early start Lou 9 miles & finished before 6:30 am WOW! Same weather here only rain is steady. Went to gym for 5 on treadmill, it's easy when DW has the opening shift at 6am. I actually enjoy the treadmill once or twice per week in winter & summer. Tim's lead off joke from yesterday reminded me of why dog is man's best friend. If a man puts both his wife & his dog in the trunk of his car for 2 hours, when he opens that trunk which one will be very happy to see him? Big grin Clowning around Shocked Nice 5 miles last night on a bike trail 42F and I beat the rain by 10 minutes. Group run but everyone too slow for me Roll eyes so it was just me in the dark. Oh I forgot to tell Dicky how painful it was Wink

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Good morning all, well I got back from vacation late Tuesday and this is really the first time I have had the opportunity to check out the forum. I had a great time in mostly sunny and warm conditions although we had a couple of cloudy / rainy days in Laughlin, NV. And I even won some money playing Texas Hold 'em (an 8 high straight flush paid me $833 one day and the next day I hit a 5 high straight flush for $317) and I did pretty good overall playing poker and we came back with all of our play money and then some! It will take me a while to go through some of the threads and catch up on what's been going on. Anyways to show you all I didn't take a vacation from running here are my runs for the last two weeks: Saturday – a very early flight out of Portland to Las Vegas via JFK meant for a very long day…and no run. Angry Sunday - 12.04 miles - 1:40:56 - (8:22) - Avg HR 134 / Max HR 146 - 75 & Sunny! (43.8 miles for the week) Monday - 6.03 miles - 52:08 (8:39) - Avg HR 123 / Max HR 144 - 64 & Sunny! Tuesday - 6.03 miles - 49:45 - (8:16) - Avg HR 134 / Max HR 148 - 64 & Sunny! Wednesday - 7.04 miles - 53:29 - (7:35) - Avg HR 139 / Max HR 148 - 55 & Rain...what's this? 1 mile warm up - 8 half mile intervals with 1:00 recovery jogs - 1 mile cool down 8:40 - 3:36 - 3:45 - 3:49 - 3:42 - 3:34 - 3:31 - 3:34 - 3:38 - 7:37 My legs really felt like lead today...yuk...but I did it anyways. Thursday - 6.04 miles - 51:21 - (8:29) - Avg HR 128 / Max HR 142 - Cloudy & 57. Friday - 6.07 miles - 51:38 - (8:30) - Avg HR 128 / Max HR 141 - Partly cloudy & 57. Saturday - 8.07 miles - 1:11:08 - (8:49) - Avg HR 123 / Max HR 141 - Sunny & 62! Sunday - 8.70 miles - 1:15:27 - (8:40) - Avg HR 122 / Max HR 135 - Sunny & 68! (48 miles for the week) Monday - 5.12 miles - 44:27 - (8:40) - Avg HR 121 / Max HR 131 - Sunny & 60! Tuesday – very early flight back to Portland via JFK once again a very long day and no run. Angry Wednesday - 5.04 miles - 37:30 - (7:27) – A very busy day at work and a late day, today’s run was on the dreaded treadmill for this one...UGHH! I set this up as a progression run to try and get a little spring back in the legs - 8:24 - 7:54 - 7:28 - 7:06 - 6:31 - :32. Not bad and a good sweaty workout! I really love the weather this time of year out west, especially in Lake Havasu City, AZ....but it is good to be home even if I'll be running in frigid conditions with flying snow soon to come. Cry Have a great day and even better runs everyone. Big grin

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Yea - Maine is back! We were wondering where you went .... Big grin This morning did not go according to plan. The puppy wanted to go out at 4:30 a.m. - debated trying to get her to wait until the alarm goes off at 4:55 and thought better of it. Let her out - back in, then decided to go back to bed for 10 minutes. Alarm goes off, get up, let all the dogs out. 2 come back - 2 won't come after much calling and whistling. Finally succumb to go wake up the husband - and he thought he was going to sleep in this morning - ha! He figures that Hailey has gotten across the underground fencing and is afraid to come back over it - so I go unplug the system and continue calling .... here comes B'Nellie so now I know what direction Hailey is in. Tromps around the woods and finally I hear her and she comes running across the line. Bad Dog!! So, now my running time is drastically cut short. 3 miles with Brinkley (one of the good dogs) the last mile being a mixture of walking/running. I had to wear the yaktraxs and the wet heavy snow kept getting packed in the heel area. I felt like I was running in platform shoes at times. 3 miles - 11:00 m/m - 151 avg. hr. - 24 degrees

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

anachrotech

Another 2 miles on the treadmill. I really have lost a lot of conditioning Sad so I'll have to stick at 2 for a while until I don't need a walk break. New shoes seem ok but I think I'll also try Asics Foundation. Good runs all.

Hill Runner

Morning all, The weather is weird...it's been colder in the mornings here than in NY for the past couple of weeks. I'll post last night run... 7.43 miles of hills @ 8:41 pace...it felt good running in the daylight for a change. Looking to run again tonight. I've been running in GT-2130's lately, they feel pretty good but I still love my Saucony's Smile

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

#artbydmcbride

A lovely crisp cold 60 degree run last night with the running club along the marina...brrrr! Big grin Tim, you are cruisin' for a bruisin'! Black eye dg, for you:

Runners run

dg.

good morning! yay Maine is back Smile Tim... that is so true. funny also about falling to sleep pool running. not as bad, but i think i drifted off doing a hammie stretch with a strap with my leg up in the air... someone spoke to me & I jumped. Mary, you are a trouper. glad the dogs are ok. quick report (will try) because as usual i'm late. still feel carpy but much better than Tuesday. phew. 3.34 miles, average pace 9:39, max 8:21, ahr 163, max 179. miles were 10:17, 9:28, 9:10, last bit at 9:01 (but average 9:12, so i slowed). started the polar again for 1 mile.. 8:57 pace, ahr 179, max 188. 8 200 meter laps.. alternating fast & slow. they were pretty steady as far as pace, averaged about an 8 minute pace. fastest bit was at 6:46. Would those count as intervals, or are they too short? better to just do faster striders, or to do longer but a little slower fast pieces? I'm not sure. just trying to be faster at longer distances, thought i'd work up gradually, but I don't know what would be best. oh yeah.. then 2 sets on the weight machines & the usual stability ball routine. had to leave early today to help DD (flat tire yesterday).. so Erika I watched my time like a hawk. Wink. wasn't quick. sorry. happy day to you all.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Timbo – do they make a waterproof mp3 player? Mainerunnah – looks like you had some lovely weather for your vacation. Mary – do you have to spend 20 minutes toweling off the dogs every time you let them out? Anachrotek – it’ll come back, just take your time and ease back into it. Dg – nice workout. Intervals, striders, fartleks, they’re just words. The real question is, did you have fun? Smile 5.5 miles outside this morning, followed by this on the TM: [5 minute slow-to-fast segments (6.0, 6.3, 6.6, 6.9, 8.0 mph)] x 4 2 minute walk [1 min. 8.0 mph (7:30)/1 min. 6.0 mph (10:00)] x 5 plus CD makes 9 miles total. And I threw away the rest of the apple pie, since I appeared to be the only one eating it....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Holly, good job on the discipline! It's hard to throw out a good dessert! I ran with my newbie friend this morning. She's up to 5 minutes non-stop (I don't think she did much while I was on my trip). It was only a total of 2.1 miles, but better than nothing! I was a little sore, anyway, after my first run in a while yesterday. I miss my running partner!! I hope she doesn't stop running altogether. Cry
                        Mariposai

4 recovery miles at 5 this morning. 27d, clear sky. The sun rays over the mountain top was heavenly this morning. Getting ready to drive Portland for the funeral. Not looking forward to the 9 hours of driving over mountain passes and all. see you all Sunday...

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Anachrotech-2 miles is 2 miles...that's great...it'll come not really feeling great today,so I took another rest day to combat illness
                            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Holly - we just let them melt in the house! Roll eyes Actually when they are really snowy, I bring them in the attached garage and towel them off. How do you feel after those walking lunges yesterday?? I feel guilty posting that exercise and I still haven't done them myself ..... maybe tonight!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Yay, first page! 5 miles on the TM today for me. This was a "getting in the miles" run more than anything else. Lifted weights afterwards. It was a nice day outside for running today but I needed to lift so resigned myself to the dreadmill at the gym. My IPOD is on the fritz too so I had to make do with just watching the gym TV. Tim, LOL - wandering into the women's locker room! Sounds like something my DH would do. He swims at the Rec Center a lot and the doors are very close together. So far, he has avoided making this mistake. Good to hear that the women were good natured about it. Welcome back to Maine! Meg

Once a runner . . .