Masters Running

The Wednesday Daily, 9.24.14 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Mariposai, yes, Vermont is starting to look like Autumn. The locals said that in another week or so, they'll be mobbed with 'leaf-peepers.' I'm glad we were there before the crowds. Strangely, the trees are turning a little faster here in coastal NH than they seemed to be further north in VT.

Tet, I rarely get sore quads while racewalking. Racewalkers tend to have more hamstring problems then quad problems because we use our hamstrings a lot more. Just as with running, long downhills can put a strain on our quads because of the extra impact that the quads seem to absorb. I can imagine that if one's stride is too long, it could wear on the quads because, even though that person may be heel-striking, if the foot is too far in front, it is harder to get the body up and over that foot plant. With a shorter stride, it is a lot easier to just roll forward over the foot, which should greatly reduce any impact or strain to the quads. Conventionally, only 30% of a racewalkers stride is in front, and the bulk is behind so you can get a better push-off with the rear foot.

Great photos yesterday, Steve!

I got right back into my 'normal' routine last night, with a 7pm meeting that went till 10:45. I wisely decided to go back for some extra zzzz's after feeding the cat at 4 this morning. I've to got another 2-hr. meeting this morning, so that vacation is becoming just a fond memory.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Vacations seem to have a way of disappearing quickly, don't' they Jay?  Glad you enjoyed yours.  Thanks again for serving as relay rendezvous.  You're an excellent host.

5.1 miles this morning in the 45F that I missed yesterday.  First mile was slower than it felt, but in compensation, the last two were faster than they felt.  I think that's the way it's supposed to work, but sure doesn't happen as often as I would like.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

What awesome weather we have been having!

An easy 5 miles this am. I no longer get to see the sunrise during my run. The days are getting shorter.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning!

Yes, awesome weather here, too.  I was able to run 8 miles this morning at a sub 9 (8:51) pace and return home without my shorts dripping!  It is past 9 am and it still isn't 80 degrees yet!   AND,  last night's run was downright invigorating.  The breeze was refreshing!  Did 2 5 mile progression runs....ah, this is because I went to the usual spot for Speedsters and did my 5 mile warmup before the start, wherein I try to run each mile a little faster, then meet up with the group.  Did that, but no runners at the end....turned out they switched sites and I neglected to check FB to see that.  So I did 5 more by myself and since I couldn't think of any other drill (well, sure, there are 400s and 800s, but I didn't want  to think of them), just ran another progression run of 5 miles.  OVerall 8:13 (I know, I couldn't have gone a little faster or slower, for an 8:12 or 8:14???  If I had known, I would have.)

I want to share a poem that embodies a lot of why I love early morning running.  I always thought I'd like it, just couldn't get my lazy self motivated to do it until I moved south and had to learn to do it or not run (and we know that's just NOT an option.)  FOund this in Thunder Bay, where they have a thoughtfully laid out art/literary walk along the shore line in viewing distance of the Sleeping Giant.  That's the meaning of "giant" in line four.  (A rock formation on the top of Sibley Pennisula that looks like an Indian in repose.  Massive and stunning; google it for photos.)

I'll sign off here, so you can really take a moment with the poem.  Have a happy hump day.

Breathing
          The city is newborn each morning,
          Early light setting the harbour on fire.
          God's breath hovers
          Above the lighthouse, the gulls, the giant,
          The streets with their sleeping cars,
          The empty parking lots downtown.

Gulls walk on the ice
          And the Canada Geese return north.

This is the holy hour
          Before the noise of coffee grinders and news reports
          Before the testosterone of traffic and commerce.
          This is the moment to breathe in,
          To be filled to overflowing.

~Marianne Jones

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

So the topic of the day is weather, huh?  Good choice because it's great here too.  65 felt like freezing for me in a singlet. Six miles at easy pace, then a full flex and core workout at the Y.  Now a day of conference calls.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Weather, heh?  Well, I am finally close enough to the VT50 to check the weather, and it looks like low of 51, high of 79.  Since I am a slower runner, I expect I will be running from 8am to 2pm+, so I will likely see the 79 on my run, but I'm okay with that.  I will luxuriate in the lovely end-of-season warmth, enjoy the beauty of the surroundings, and relax in the sun afterward.

DD's early morning ortho appt. had me switch out tomorrow for today, so just 30 minutes or so of upper body weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

I'm so happy to report that we are having rain today. lots of rain. we need it so badly with all the various fires and this will help immensely!

I realized today that in one week i'm coming back to MN. My trip back was just always "in October I'm going to MN", and seemed far away, but it's next week! It better not snow when I'm back.

I did find a 5K race to do when I'm back. I'm staying with my best friend from HS on friday night and on saturday morning, the school her sons go to are having an inaugural 5K as a fundraiser for their school. So since they will all be at that, I figured I might as well run in it since I would likely want to get in a run on Saturday morning anyways.  Any MN friends want to join in on the 5K? it's in Maple Grove.

no run for me today. David has Open House at the HS after work and then a parent meeting for all FBLA students at 7:15 so it'll be a late night by the time we get home.

Tammy

Aamos - Lovely!  And found on Canadian soil too!  That IS a big giant!

Oh no, Tammy said the "s" word!  We are doomed!

Too much rain here, just too much, I could hear it all night long.  I couldn't get up to run in that, in the dark too!  I wanted to, just to have one up on Twocat....but I failed!

Help me to beat my blerch!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

mrrun

loved it!

awesome weather here also which is why.   after my morning stuff was cancelled, i went for a long run instead through franklin park - an area that i never run in and i'm racing there in 3 weeks.  it was lovely, but turned out to be longer then expected = 15 miles.  deez - warning the end of the baa half is UPHILL!!!!  no leaves turning there, but some trees elsewhere are showing their colors

marj

BTY, happy birthday.  steve, great family pictures at the race.  Tammy, I'm glad to hear you got some rain.

Nice long run for marj and good job on the speedwork for The Saint (and ribs).

This morning, my wife had a doctor's appointment in Saginaw (hour away) at 6:20 am.  I ran after we got back.  The temp was in the low 60s and there was a light wind.  I got in 5 miles at a 10:32 pace.  I don't know what happened as I didn't feel motiviated  and my recent runs have been at an 11+ pace.  I thought I was just poking along like usual but my Garmin had 10:40 at the first mile.  It wasn't feeling different than usual so I just tried to keep going the way I started and pushed a little extra the last mile or so.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

...enke//....TheBlerch is ABSOLUTELY Hilarious..........

NicelyDone

==============

..........maybe

I should

write a book entitled-

''Well, THAT didn't Kill Me''.............a history of my BikeRides

but I digress....

....25-min bikeride in the neighborhood,,,,,,,swapped off from HH RCWaling (the Leg didn't like it)

and

30-minpr deo

and

HotBath

and

TENS treatment

................good running guys...............Think Funny Thoughts.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

nice poking along Tom.

Enke -
                          So that’s what Blerch is.
                          There was a Beat the Blerch 10K/Half/Full last weekend on the park trails around Carnation with an Oatmeal or something author signing books.  The event belatedly appeared on the Marathon Maniacs Race Calendar too late to sign up after it was already so overbooked with 4,000 runners that they put the overflow in a duplicate running the next day.
                          However, a good make-up one might be this Saturday’s Fat Glass 50K at 10:00 a.m. consisting of six laps around your favorite Bridle Trails Park.  I haven’t been there since my ignominious DQ in the January evening version in 2007. In fact, this one’s advertised as “same as the Bridle Trails Winter 50K but in nice weather and during normal running hours.”
                          With glasses of beer awaiting runners at every 5.2 mile lap, there’s only two divisions: (1) men/women and (2) drunk/sober.  For some reason or the other, it seems a lot of runners gleefully drop out after two or three laps as “Disqualifications are encouraged.”   That will be me but I won’t need the beer to do it.
                          Still doing the Fishes 5K?
                          Me too, I hope.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

'''it tasted like the Souls of Ten Thousand Unborn PandaBears''

enke,

I LOVE this book........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Wow that fat glass run is TEMPTING.  As I usually run there on the weekend anyway......and you only have to commit to one lap....

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

It turns out there is no emergency winter plane ticket to Australia! That lying no good @#&* editor! Fortunately, I was able to drown some of my sorrows in a 14 mile run today.  Pretty good weather to boot!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/