Masters Running

Marathon Monday, 4.20.15 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

It was a blast to hang out with everyone at the Shape Up Somerville 5K yesterday! This is one of those small community races that exudes charm and friendliness. The course was gently downhill for most of the first mile. But racing back up to the start/finish line wasn't always so gentle. Amy/AAmos was our champion, winning her age group! After the rest of us finished, we all went back to accompany Henry to the finish line - what a blast. Afterwards, Marj expertly led Kevin/Stumpy and I closer into Boston to a place where we could park on the street (for free!) and walk across the street to the "T" for the few-stops ride to Copley Square, the finish line, the Expo, and (most important) Robin's par-tay. We were early, so we ducked into the Expo for a brief tour. What a madhouse of happy/nervous runners and bewildered family members! As Kevin said, he never knew that he needed so many different types of runner's gear. We got to the par-tay a little early, helped Robin with the last little bit of set up (she had already done a masterful job), and then enjoyed the company of RAers and friends as they arrived. Everyone - Robin, CNY, Deeze, Marj & Henry, Aamos, Mariposai, BAhern, Craig (who am I missing?) - looked fantastic and happy, and those racing in the Marathon looked incredibly relaxed. My only regret was that I had to leave too early to get back to NH.

So it's early, and I'm up and have figured out how to layer for some wet weather today. I'll be helping runners get settled into their corrals in each of the 4 waves as they wait for their turn to start heading to Boston. Regardless of the weather, it's going to be a greta day! Now I've gotta grab some coffee and get on my way. No time for a workout this morning. So it goes.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy/AAmos was our champion, winning her age group!

That is awesome, but no surprise - that Amy is an amazing runner!

Jay - sounds like such fun!

No run for me today, just 25 minutes of weights and core.

Go Boston runners!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Go Boston Runners!

Sounds like an awesome time Jay.

What a change one day can make. 76 and sunny yesterday. 52, overcast and 35mph winds today. Bleh

I guess it gives me an excuse to work on my trail maps and get the website updated.

Day off...Annual check up, Meet the new Red Cross director for our local chapter and pick up DW at the Air Port.

Henrun

Go Boston runners. Jay said it all-what a day yesterday-a fun race and a great par-tay. We zoned out after we returned home and I slept like a baby.

This morning we got out early before the road was shut down for 3 miles along the route. Head wind and some rain early Will be quite a challenge for the runners. Watching the race on tv now and will head out shortly, walk to the corner and watch the women elites.

dg.

Quickie, cuz I'm tracking the race & pretending to work...

miss you all.     intend to catch up but it likely won't be today...

loved the pictures yesterday!!

thrilled to see that Tselbs & family are in Venice  :  )

yay tw

yay Amy!

have fun Henry

Go Boston runners!

wildchild

Carolyn

Hi dg!

Go Boston runners!

I don't think much else is happening today, at least until the marathon is over! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

C-R thanks for your comments about the Sunburst Marathon.  I am going to start booking hotels and whatnot for it.

My general sympathies to our RA friends out in Boston today.  The weather is just horrible.  Wind and rain.  What a bad break.  Great race weather the past few days and the forecast is for more great race weather starting Tuesday and into the foreseeable future.  Just a tough break.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Thanks for the party recap Jay. I was hoping to hear how it went.  That Robin is a gem isn't she?  And nice going to Aamos on the win too.

Twocat, you're right about the weather, but marathoners are intrepid and they will suck it up.  Many of us have seen every possible weather problem, but I can say that no matter the weather it's better than bombs.

The Saint and I did 2 slow miles with Lucy at the Park today as recovery.

I can't get the race on TV!  So I'm going to have to check FB all day to see how my friends did.

Spareribs

No TV here either, but with my SmartTV I'm able to use the browser to get to the live streaming feed. It's as good on the big screen as if it were a regular broadcast. Go Desi!!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

I can't get the race on TV!  So I'm going to have to check FB all day to see how my friends did.

LIvestream.

Go runners!

Be safe. Be kind.

SubDood

Thanks for the link, Tramps!

Hiya dg//.........been Wishing You Healing Vibes.........

,,,,,,,,,,GO RUNNERS>>>>>>>>>

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

Just saw cny looking strong mile 22

Her (and everyone else that I'm tracking) splits have been steady. The women ran that last mile in 5:06? To have that much left at the end of 25 miles to kick into high gear like that is unbelievable. For someone about to turn 40, Meb had a spectacular race.

And it looks like the weather took a turn for the worse. What a shame for the later starters.

Mike E

MM #5615

We've got a race on hands between Karin and Norm...any bets?