Masters Running

40s 50s 60s On the Run - June 2013 (Read 38 times)

Arla, congrats on the nice 1 mile race!  Glad you got to do it, now back to PT and stretching for you.  And sounds like you know my frienemy, Patience Smile.

Leslie, wow, so sorry you had to cancel your race plans.  Having those race goals is so motivating, but sure can bring out the "too much too soon" monster.  Glad you are taking the time to heal up.  Thanks for the ideas re: visiting my friend.  You are very right about not taking anything in.  I'm hoping they don't hassle me about my insulin pump.  I've already spoken to someone at the prison about that, and they said it would be OK.  I just hope the same folks are there when I go.

Hit the pool a couple times last week, walked a few miles most days, and then and biked 13 easy miles yesterday.  Swimming is all good, but even the little bit of cycling fired things up.  Nothing bad, but makes me think another week of just swimming and walking may be in order.

Progress Trumps Pefection

Top 'O the World!

Yay! Congrats on the AG, Arla! Smile

Glad you can get a refund on your registrations, Leslie.  Many don't allow that, nor transfers Sad  Which is one of the reasons that I don't often sign up way in advance....I just never know how life is going to shake out as to whether or not I would be able to go, run decent, etc. Of course, early registrations are cheaper & nail down a commitment.......If I paid for it, I plan to be there, regardless of the level of suckage....:/

Can't say that my running mileage is any kind of remarkable lately....We've been riding the bikes into the shop nearly every morning at 5:00 am. I hang out for a cup of coffee or two & rest room break & then pedal home. The guys return after work. The shortest route, which has the longest incline/hill is 16.7 miles of mostly gravel trail, some street,. 600' of elevation descent to the shop, which means 600' of elevation gain coming home! On an older HEAVY mtb/hybrid 18spd Occasionally we add in a trail variation  to add a few more miles. Gradually improving the strength of my bike motor to the point of keeping in the bottom few gears...& then I usually take Mairead out for a few miles when I get home - after I've given my rubber legs a short reprieve - better shorten that up even more in the up coming week due to higher temps rolling in! I did go out for about 9 before it got too crazy warm out there this morning...only 2.5 w/Mairead. She's been having the gimpys again lately Sad  & molting like karazy!! holy cats, I combed a whole nother dog off'n her yesterday!!

Doug was recovering today, so he only did 3.1 easy.  He got to run 24 with the MS Run the US Relay  group yesterday. I opted to support rather than run, although I could have run a little bit out & back too....just worked out better this way. So, he got to hang out & bond w/some really kewl peeps running through Denver & then we all went to lunch, etc. Smile  http://www.msruntheus.com/

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Carol - You shouldn't have any problem re your insulin pump.  Just let them know when you get there.

Cindy - I keep thinking about taking my bike out on the McKay . . . . .

Arla - I don't know if things are suppose to be feeling that way.  Crabs baseball has started back up, and since the trainer likes me, I plan to talk to him about it a bit the next time we go to a game.  He might not know, but I'll give it a shot since it's free of charge.

30 min on the stat bike this evening, followed by 30 min of core/strength training.  Count down to Western States . . . . . I'm so excited!! . . . and I'm not the one running . . . . Roll eyes

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

5 miles at the McKay after work this evening. It never ceases to amaze me how fast running stamina leaves your body. Things are improving with each workout, but doggone! And I haven't even tried hardly any hill running yet. THAT should be interesting.

I keep having to force myself to slow down to a conversational pace, which is a MUCH better place to be. That's encouraging, but then again, I'm not doing myself any favors by going at a pace I can't sustain over a longer distance. Stupid is as stupid does, though, I suppose.

I am still having minor tendinitis issues, but it is very manageable at this point with continued stretching, self calf massages, and ice. Getting used to the new stability shoe is taking longer than I anticipated, but it's all good.

Okay - That's it for the night. I've gotten in a good half an hour of transcription, and now I need to take a shower and hit the hay.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Today was 30 min of core/strength training.

Am still diligently looking for a new job.  Got a phone call from an attorney today and we're going to try and talk next Wednesday when he gets back from his daughter's graduation.  He's a very nice  man, and working for him would probably be great, but he's at retirement age, a solo practitioner, and I don't know if he's busy enough to provide me with my required wage and benefits.  I need medical insurance.  So I'm still looking at jobs at the local university (two more to apply for), as well as the county and cities, so we'll see.

You guys gotta watch this video.  This couple is LOVIN' LIFE!  (PS - You need speakers)

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - That video was hilarious! Hope the job situation continues to give you good leads. FWIW, I currently work in the public sector and it's not all that different from when I worked in the private sector.

Carol - Your advice about patience...yup, need that. Good luck with your swimming and walking. I agree with Leslie that the insulin pump shouldn't be a problem. I had a former student who went to jail (for a stupid reason - she got in a fight with her boyfriend, threw a vase at him and missed, and he reported it), and it was really easy for me to go in and out to visit her.

Cindy - Wow! That's a lot of biking!! Rubber legs for certain! Hugs to Mairead. Really cool that Doug got to do a leg of that run!

The back is getting better but now I have a mystery bump on my heel. It looked like a bug bite gone wrong, doc gave me antibiotics but it hasn't settled down yet. So I broke down today, got an aquajogger belt and did 20 min of pool jogging. Hated it. It's looking more and more like my goal marathon in August is going to be a jog at best.

Ex runner

So I broke down today, got an aquajogger belt and did 20 min of pool jogging. Hated it.

*snicker*    oh . . . sorry 'bout that. Wink  I wouldn't be so adverse to this if I had a waterproof iPOD I could listen to while moving at a snail's pace. Oh . . .and if it didn't cost 7 freaking dollars a visit!  Re the marathon - you will be surprised at how well the pool running works.  Do your regular workouts.  If you're suppose to do speed work, do you speed work, etc.  If they have pool "bar bells," use them for a good core workout:  Take off the belt, hold a bar bell in each hand pushed down at your sides, get your body in a straight line, and balance to stay straight up and down.  Hold for a minute, relax, rinse repeat, etc.  It's harder than it sounds.

Went to the McKay Tract last night and came upon a large sign reading: "Logging Operations.  STOP.  Turn Around and Go Back."  The McKay is the private property of Green Diamond Timber Co. and covers many, many acres.  And even though it's private property, EVERYBODY goes there to run, walk, take their dogs, etc.  It's like a silent agreement between the users and GD that legally we're not suppose to be there, but GD understands there's really no where else easily accessible in the Eureka area and with so many options for runners, walkers, mountain bikers, etc.  So back to the sign . . .

I didn't feel it was right to go past the gate with that sign there, so I resigned myself to running the .50 (half flat, half hill) open section over and over until I had my six miles and figured it would be a good test to see what the ATs are ready to take.  I did almost 4 miles of this, then decided to follow the other four people who had gone past the gate for about half a mile, then backtrack up the hill and to the end for my 6 miles.  I'm happy to say the ATs did well.  I stretched really well, iced when I got home, and  massaging my calves today.  I can feel a little bit of irritation in the ATs today, but will make sure I ice good this evening.

Also happy to say that a worker saw us on the road and didn't stop and yell at us.  When I and a biker got back to the main gate, the worker was talking to a couple of people about access.  He said they don't anybody in there during working hours, so as long it's after 5:00 week days and the gate's not open on weekends, we shouldn't have any problems.

GD and the City of Eureka are in negotiations for the City to purchase a big chunk of the land and make it legally accessible to the public.  It'll be nice if the sale ever goes through.  I've been passed by workers before and nobody has ever said anything to me.  Like I said, there's sort of a silent agreement that so long as people are respectful of the property, there are no problems.  I love it 'cause it's only about 10 mins from my house and there are miles and miles and miles of old logging roads to run with plenty of chances to practice climbing and descending.

. . . . well, okay.  I didn't intend to be that verbal . . . . .

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

When I was forced to aquajog I put my iPod in a Ziploc baggie and put it under a ball cap on my head.  It worked fine and made the whole thing much more bearable.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Ooooh!!  Where were you two years ago when I desperately needed that idea?!? Big grin

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - soooo glad to hear that you're running better!  My hat's off to you for being able to aquajog.

Hope Cindy and all of those she loves are safe.

Hi to everyone else out there.

I hated pool running so much that I stupidly ran a very slow and painful 6 mi yesterday, and then went to the doc who said he needed to open my foot up. He dug around with a needle but didn't hit the pus jackpot, so he made about a 1 in long incision instead and got maybe a half a pea's worth of pus. He said no running for two weeks, then took it back and said one week. Being the stupid runner I am, I talked to my ER doc friend and was advised to get some moleskin and go for it if it felt ok. YES! The answer I wanted to hear! Crossing fingers.

Ex runner

Arla, Arla, Arla . . . shaking head . . . . . DON'T make things worse.    . . . . Pus pocket?  Ewww!

Yesterday ran out at Headwaters for the first time in months.  Wanted to see how a lot of climbing and downhill would work out.  First, let's just say it's been a LONG time since I've done that much climbing.  2.5 hrs to go 10 miles.  Yeesh!  My legs were tired at the end, but I felt better than I anticipated.  Unfortunately,  my ATs didn't appreciate my efforts.  Ended up having to ice 3x yesterday, so I bagged today's planned 3 EZ.  Figured I should rest things and not push it.  After all, I don't have any future running plans except to get healthy again.

My pops just left after taking about an hour name.  He fell asleep after a dinner of BBQ chicken, broccoli, roasted potatoes, and corn on the cob. Big grin

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Checking in from the Smokey State of Colorado!

Got a little bit of cooler, wetter weather going on just now, which greatly helps the firefighters! None of my immediate people in the evacuation zones, but, the sucky air quality is shared by all! Our squally day only brings the humidity up to 31% :/ We hit a pocket of heavy, heavy rain, wind, gropple last night for a few minutes!! Wooo-Hooo!! Temps dropped hard & & car got a most intense power wash!

Anyhoo.....Arla!!! OOWWW!!  Did you try soaking in epsom salts?

Leslie - I'm not totally convinced that you would lose that much fitness so quickly...mindset, maybe, but I do think as long as you keep wiggling at something, it's kinda gotta be there. ie: Doug, who rarely "works out" (but has a fairly physical job & lifestyle) has a mostly always ready fitness level that allows a lot. It had been months since he'd run over 15 miles but, last Saturday was very doable for him. Now, he spent the 4.5 hrs practicing a slightly different form (trying to land more mid-foot than his normal scuffle/heel strike) so consequently had a cpl of days of "new workout" aches.  Pretty sure he could go do the same again this wknd. We did a cpl of bike rides instead - one 22 miles of out & back to a local festival (beer tent!), the other with a little trailer attached doing some shopping!  Not a lot of miles on that one, but the equivalent of a cpl toddlers in tow!  I decided to spend the entire ride in my lowest 3 gears - mostly in the lowest.one & only shifed for the "really big" hills - if I couldn't "stand it" all the way up.  Wink I will say that just a cpl of weeks of pushing a little harder has greatly improved my stamina.

My run log doesn't look like I've been doing anything at all - mostly because I've been running sans watch quite a lot lately & just never seem to get around to logging it!?! I know, weird! Also, all of my runs have been in my most minimal shoes - Zoot Ultra Speeds, Altra Eve's or Vibrams. & no music. Hmmm... Going to run a HM on Sat sans tech as well I think Smile

Well, the GD#1 wants to go break in some more miles on her brand spanking new MTB....Birthday present (little turd is now 14!!!!) Might be time for lunch Wink

Hey to evrybody lurking out there!!  Have a Greta Week!! Smile

C

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Cindy - I've been pleasantly surprised at how well my fitness has held up with the stationary biking.  Without it, I would've been dead meat.  Getting my climbing legs back is what I'll be working on now, while at the same time trying not to overtax my ATs.  I think doing hill work 2x in one week was a mistake.  Yesterday, I felt much better than I anticipated, but I think it was a smart move to not run.  Am keeping the same mileage schedule as last week and will hopefully be able to do the 3 miles on Sunday after 10 on Saturday.

Also today I made the daring move to (1) wear a skirt for the first time in two years, and (2) wear sandals, which equal not a lot of stability.  I don't do a ton of walking at work, and so far things are holding up.  Re the skirt - suffice to say everybody was in shock.  Smile

Okay - Back to work ~

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Hi guys, not getting much time to post but love reading about you all. Lost my Pinto beans and mucho damage to corn Fathers day to a wicked mean nasty hailstorm, pretty common occurrence on the high plains, reason dad chose to ignore the holiday. Such is life on the plains and accepted, good news on the Pintos is we are still in time to replant. I did sneak off the weekend before and get a summit in with my friend Igloo Ed. http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fgrandshelters.com%2FphpBB3%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D12%26p%3D676%26sid%3D94d71576b9a560d94369484b578b3416%23p676&h=2AQElizhW scared the bejeebers outa me but a great trip and 13 hours car to car.

Ankle issues are history, on to the next owie which is a bothersome SI on the right side, which practically screams at my need to do my pt.

So a generic hope you all stay healthy, and things go well in your worlds, hope to get on here more soon.

take care yall

Jim

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Hey Jim - Real sorry about the crops, and am glad you have enough time to get more pintos planted.  I'll have to take a gander at those pics later.

5 miles tonight with about six or seven .30 mile hill repeats.  My calves are talking to me now and are tight, but when I got home I had to finish my transcription, so no time for the roller.  Haven't even showered yet.  I stink.

I have an interview tomorrow with one of the more respected probate/estate planning/trust admin attorneys in the the area.  A very nice man.  He has my  resume, but I don't know if he got it from the Bar Association minutes or from a local CPA who was chatting me up to him.  His paralegal is out on disability and they're not sure if she will be able to return, so right now he's just trying to feel things out and see what his options are.  I told him he sounded like an attorney. Smile  Anyway, tomorrow I will have my first honest to goodness interview in almost 17 years.  Yikes!  Note to Self: Put on extra BO juice and don't eat anything gaseous foods.  Wish me luck!

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance