Masters Running

Boston; a volunteer's perspective (Read 383 times)

coastwalker

I left home at 7am, and arrived at my assigned station, the 10-mile checkpoint, at about 8:15. Some of our crew of about 10 people was already there. It was a little foggy and chilly, and the streets were deserted. Just up the road from us, a much larger crew was setting up a water stop. Our job was to record the bib numbers and times of the first 5 wheelchair racers (M/F), the first 15 (M/F) runners, and then 85 more male and female runners on a spot-check basis. This was back-up timing for the official timers, and to make sure that all of the prize winners were on the course for the whole race - no more Rosie Ruize! We divided into teams: One to shout out times or bib numbers, and the other to write. I wrote men's wheelchair and runner bib numbers. Every time we finished a sheet, we handed it to the team captain, who called in the information. We had a cell phone with an open line to the start line, so we could hear the official starts. Wheelchairs at 9:25; elite women at 9:35; and elite men and 1st wave at 10:00. We started at least two of our watches at every start. At about 9:25, when the wheelchair racers started, the sun started peaking through and the spectators finally woke up and started to slowly drift to the sides of the road, bringing chairs, drinks, and signs. A little girl across the street set up a lemonade stand in her driveway, and got some customers pretty quick! There were quite a few handicapped athletes on hand-crank bikes, and every time we saw one in the distance we wondered if it was the first wheelchair racer. Then the first wheelchair came through with a police car lead. It was Erik VanDyken (sp?), and he was flying! Even at 10-miles, he had about a 1/2 mile lead on #2. A few more men came through, and then the first woman wheelchair racer, who also had a very long lead on her nearest competitor. It was easy to capture the info on the wheelchair racers because there weren't many of them, and there were never more than two together. Dick Hoyt came through, pushing his mentally retarded son, as he has every year for so many years. Everyone stops what they are doing and cheers for the Hoyts! He's in his late 60's and still pushing his son for a full marathon. 3 weeks ago, they did a half marathon together. They are just amazing! The Grand Marshall's parade came along ahead of the elite women. The top 3 finishers from Sunday's Olympic Trials were each in their own car, leading the way - nice recognition for them! The elite women came floating up the road in a pack of about 9. They flew by, but it was fairly easy to capture their bib numbers because it wasn't that large a pack. We gave them all the same time because they were that tightly bunched - maybe a second or two separated the first and last runners in the pack. Again, it was quite a while before more women came by. The top American women were all in the Trials on Sunday, so that depleted the field somewhat in Monday's Marathon. The men were also lead by official cars and press trucks. They were in a pack of 17, also very tightly bunched, and we missed 2-3 bib numbers. Theycameandwentthatfast. The rest of the men weren't all that far behind, and were in more packs, so capturing bib numbers continued to be a challenge. We finally got through 100 men, but there were still women to be counted. By then, the road was filled with runners, and we all worked together to spot women athletes in time to capture their bib numbers. We finally finished, and could relax and enjoy the race for a while. Once I could focus on the racers and not my clipboard, I realized that I was watching a procession of beautiful, talented runners from all over the world. I was amazed at how many different styles of running I saw: On their toes; very erect postures; high knee thrust; energetic arm pumping; head swinging; arms held high; arms held low, etc., etc. But the one thing that almost all the runners had in common was a big, beautiful smile. Regardless of the effort and difficulty of the challenge of the day, everybody was thrilled to be there. And so was I. It was a great, great day. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Wonderful report. It is great reading what life was like for one of the marathon's many noble volunteers. People like you make the race possible. BTW no more Rosie Ruiz's! Hey, the relay team I belong to in named in her "honor!" Big grin

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

seemomgo

On the tv coverage of the race yesterday they made ananouncement that it takes over 7000 volunteers to put on this event. Wow! You are one of those!!! It is interesting to me that they actually have people writing the numbers as they come through. Something we all take for granted! I think it is really fun to work a race - I can only imagine the excitement of working at Boston! Does the race organization put out a huge call to the community for help or do people just show up to work? People don't realize how important the volunteers are! Thank you for giving your time to help out. You had a pretty awesome spot to see the race too!!!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Thanks Coastwalker - not only for volunteering your time for this great event, but also for typing this up so we can see the race from a volunteers point of view. I was wondering how you could catch them all with the speed they run and all grouped together too. Very interesting. ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

huskydon

Thanks for the beautiful report, and your time and effort in volunteering. I don't think about all the behind the scenes work that has to take place, and this is a great reminder to me to volunteer for a race or two this year. Sounds like a fabulous time (other than the stress of recording numbers as they whiz by) and fun to be part of the great Boston Marathon. huskydon
            TammyinGP

What a great report! I loved reading this from a volunteers perspective and what you were doing. I also had no idea that it takes that many volunteers! Thank you!

Tammy

Thank you for being there for others! Volunteering should be on all our to do lists...wait...not the to do list but the rather the doing list.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  Thanks for the volunteer perspective, Coastwalker. It's nice to get a different "view" of the race.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

What a gas it must have been to be there! Thanks for the report! By the way, if I recall correctly, I don't think the younger Hoyt is mentally retarded, he's all there, graduated high school (maybe college?) and does do some work. He has cerebral palsy. Arla

Ex runner

hi Coastwalker, thanks for the report from a unique perspective. Volunteers are a valuable and important part of all races. I know I couldn't get through a marathon without people like you Big grin. That was very generous of you to donate your time to this event and you got a pretty good spot to watch everything and everyone around you.
                        Thanks for this great report Coastwalker--Jay from an important perspective. I always try to thank the volunteers when I am running and try to volunteer when I am not. The hours you spend doing this makes such a difference. Thanks so much! Karin MTA: Ricky Hoyt graduated from Westfield (MA) high school and was in the same class with one of the running Js I run with. She said they all treated him like an able bodied classmate. He had to use special equipment to communicate, but graduated with them and only took a year more when he was younger. he has gone to college courses as well and may even have a degree. Amazing---both of them!
                          great report and cool to hear from your vantage point!! i'll post a report from my end too!!

denise

SteveP

Jay, What a moving RR!!! Thanks. As one who participates in races. Thanks.

SteveP

Thanks for this report Jay. You have certainly seen the whole race scene, from being a participant, to race director, to a volunteer in various capacities. I find it intriguing to learn some of this "behind the scenes" perspective that shows how such a large event is accomplished with integrity. Thanks again.
                              Vista
                                Thank you for volunteering, and for sharing your experiences. Having been at Boston now, the sheer magnitude of the event is staggering. The logistics were nothing short of amazing, and the efforts of the volunteers are greatly appreciated! While much of the whole thing remains a blur to me, I do remember the kindness of the gentleman who helped me take off my chip and gave me my medal. I felt horrible, and he was so nice! I'm glad you enjoyed your day, and while it was a bit warm for the runners, I kept thinking how nice it was for the spectators and volunteers.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason