Masters Running

Tue Dec 2 Runs and Workouts (Read 610 times)

Good morning, everyone. The 32°F temp and the rains of yesterday gave a deceptive sheen to the road this morning -- yes it was just icy enough to make your foot slip a couple of millimeters with each step. Well, I guess that was only some of the steps, but it made for a watchful run. Otherwise, no problems -- 10x20sec striders in among 7 miles. 7.1 miles, 56:59, 8:04/mi, AHR 151 Have a great day today!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Ah yes, I can relate to those challenging icy runs Lou. Nice job! Out this morning with Brinkley for our first challenging snow run. I put the YakTraxs on my shoes last night so I was prepared. All last winter I left Brinkley at home when it was too snowy or slippery, but having him with me today worked out fine. I think the large County snow plow driver was playing with me though - we had to ditch into a few driveways to avoid the spray. Overall 4 miles - 10:19 pace - 164 avg. hr. Happy 2s-Day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Scientists have discovered a food that diminishes a woman's sex drive by 90%. It's called a Wedding Cake. Big grin Good icy morning Lou and Mary. Well, I guess there is one advantage not being able to run right now....not having to deal with those nasty icy cold conditions. But still would rather deal with them and still be able to run. Nice strong run this morning Lou...you are doing great Cool Wow, greta run for you and the Brinkster Mary. Shows a lot of guts and mental fortitude getting out there in those condition, WTG Friend Smile. I need to get some of those yaktraxs too, for when I can run again in Jan I hope, and I will be running in the same yucky icy weather. I guess it is safe to say since you are out there in those conditions...you have your mojo back, kewl. I went to the Y last night and lap swam for 45 minutes, and then pool ran for 45 minutes. Good workout, albeit on the boring side, but better than doing nothing. I am really surprised how easy my swimming is right now considering my 1.5 year lay off, but guess my Marathon training is helping I am sure. Another morning also when I stepped out of bed with no foot pain. But yesterday afternoon my foot was a little sore after walking around at work all day, so I am still aways from running..but seeing progress at least. Hey Erika, I notice during pool running, my HR will only get up to about 100 to 120 bpm no matter how hard I run. Is that about the same for you, and do you have any tricks getting it higher? Don't get me wrong, I can surly tell my legs get a good workout in, so I suppose that's the important thing. Plus, I get my higher HR work done swimming. Swimming is usually anaerobic for most swimmers and is suppose to be for the most part. Jlynne, nice 15K race and 6th AG...that's awesome girl Smile. Hope you weather is better today also. Geez, this Dopple Bock character. 134.5 miles last week Shocked Hope everyone has good runs, or if you are struggling with an injury...get well soon and be smart about it ( can't believe that is coming from ME of all people) Roll eyes TimBo - Master Taperer going for 60 days now Big grin Sad

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

6 General Aerobic miles at 8:59 min/mile pace. I wanted to do a ten miler, but didn't sleep so great and couldn't drag myself up early enough. I left my YakTrax at home. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Wow this thread goes from icy sheen to piles of snow!..brrrrr Good job slippery runners and Brinkley Tim.... water running gives 10 bpm lower HR than running at same perceived effort. Bit chilly 28F but nothing slippery. 2 mi WU with Tory at 9:55 pace then 3 x 0.5 mile repeats with 90 sec jog intervals: 3:28 (6:57 pace, 163 AHR/173 max)) 3:26 (6:52, 166/174) 3:25 (6:50, 167/176) Just a few repeats to assess the legs for the half on Sat.....Legs felt perfect.... all systems GO! Overall: 6.9 miles in 1:01:03 (8:51 pace) PR for yearly mileage today!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm sure you use them constantly, Bill. Wink Out for a breezy 3.2 this morning in just over 29:00. Legs felt sort of heavy, so lack of time to add another mile didn't bother me too much. at 38 degrees, borderline shorts day, but when I hit the lake and the wind, I was very glad to have gone for the tights. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good morning everyone. Mary - you're so brave. It was 12F here with the wind chill so I wimped out and went to the Y. I could only manage 5 miles on the dreadmill, 9:41 pace. I slipped and fell at work yesterday. Between that and the two races last weekend, there wasn't a spot on my body that wasn't sore this morning. Couldn't have anything to do with old age, right? Wink Great pool workout last night, Tim. It really does sound like you're making progress with your foot. You're doing everything right - it's just a matter of time. Will you go back to have it re-xrayed to see how the healing is progressing? Nice run this morning, Lou. 32F? Sigh... This is starting out to be a brutal winter here. It's the 2nd day of December, we have 6 inches of snow on the ground and the predicted highs for the weekend are 10 to 15F. Somebody remind me why I live here?! Have a great day, everyone. ETA: Perch - congratulations on the yearly mileage PR!

Hill Runner

Good morning folks, Same weather here as Perch...sunny and cold but really nice to run in. 10.22 miles of hills @ 9:04 pace...felt great this morning running in my GT-2130's. Good running everyone.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Renee the dog

Morning folks! Out for 7 miles...was uninspired before I left. I decided to wear my trail shoes and hope for the beach to be dried out enough. Renee was a good girl and led me up to the boards. We could see a whole lot of the beach was wet, but there was one spot that was clear down to the water (about 1/4 mi), so we took it. Tide was just starting to come in, so it was a wonderful run on the ocean's bottom. Was too hot at the halfway point and my inner tech shirt was stuck to me, so I couldn't discreetly get out of it, so YEP, in 39 F, I went topless briefly to get my inner shirt off me. Two guys sitting watching the ocean waves applauded. I guess this time of year, a striped running bra can be an unexpected thrill. Clowning around In retrospect, my killer warm Sunday River wool headband and super winter gloves were likely overkill, but, it's just another example of how I can't figure out how to dress in this weather. Super cold with wind -- fine. Super hot with humidity -- fine. Everything else, I'm just Confused . Mostly because I like a cool core and warm everthing else.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I went topless briefly to get my inner shirt off me. Two guys sitting watching the ocean waves applauded. I guess this time of year, a striped running bra can be an unexpected thrill. Clowning around
                      I wonder if Tim is going to be okay after reading this!! Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps

Nice cool weather running today. No run for me today...but I guess that shouldn't stop me from posting. Wink I did spend some time last night looking at Spring marathons. There seem to be a lot fewer options in the Spring than in the Fall. When you narrow down to something within reasonable driving distance, early enough to maximize chances of cooler weather (but late enough to enable a credible training cycle), with both 1/2 (for DW) and full, and a certified course, there aren't many options. Right now the leading contender is the National Marathon in DC in late March. I'd have to do a compressed training schedule (and would have to get DW a qualifying time for the 1/2) but it's doable, I think. We'll see.

Be safe. Be kind.

#artbydmcbride

A high of 74 yesterday cooled off to a chilly 63 by the time I went out and ran. Add a touch of fog to that and it was a lovely spooky run around the CSULB track in the dark. Smile Ahh, winter is almost here!

Runners run

Marathon Maniac #3309

I wonder if Tim is going to be okay after reading this!! Big grin
                            Ohhh, I am more than OK...I need to run with nono sometime...two topless runners Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

A high of 74 yesterday cooled off to a chilly 63 by the time I went out and ran. Add a touch of fog to that and it was a lovely spooky run around the CSULB track in the dark. Smile Ahh, winter is almost here!
                              A chilly 63, Ilene you crack me up!
                                Right now the leading contender is the National Marathon in DC in late March. I'd have to do a compressed training schedule (and would have to get DW a qualifying time for the 1/2) but it's doable, I think.
                                PDR and I were just discussing about doing the half. We'll probably sign up before the week is out.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com