Masters Running

Monday, June 30th Daily (Read 377 times)

Good Morning. I took the weekend off and ended up only getting one run in, which had NOT been my plan. Thunderstorms at the time I had planned my Saturday run forced the extra day off. The miles I had run already made this not a bad situation so I will not complain. The run I did yesterday was a 6.2 mile run that went very well. This is a crazy work week, with the holiday coming up. A lot of restaurants and small businesses around here have this week used as a "closed" week. As well a lot of people have used this as a vacation week, so this only makes it difficult to call into a company and be able to reach the person you want. There are a good number of Race reports available on the forum. Thanks to each one. Glad to see Spareribs getting the health issue checked out. Have some great running today folks. Have a great day and great week.
    Vista
    Dave59

A little traction at the PT, then a 4-mile run along the rail trail with 3X4 minutes at a hard pace. Temps and humidity are way down this morning and it felt good.

Tramps

Easy 5.2 miler to finish out the month. I accidentally let my Garmin battery run down overnight so I have to guess at a pace...9:15 sounds about right. Good month for me.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

I have a dr.'s appointment later this morning. I jogged/walked 2.2 miles, and although I felt tired, I didn't feel lightheaded. Will see later today what is going on. Spareribs
          DickyG

A few notes from yesterday's posts... Tramps: Huge effort in this heat! Holly: 11 miles when you feared you might be out of commission for a few weeks...that's astounding. I'm awed, girl...and the post-run icing & stretching shows some real smarts. Janet: Longest run ever...outstanding. Jeanne: 9:10 pace for 7 miles...excellent. Sarge: How's the collarbone? Can you still hit a knuckleball? Mary: Only 3 babies left (?)...(sniff) Perchcreek: Very, very cool...especially the part about running the steps at Wallace Wade. Actually, judging from the horrible attendance at Duke football games, you could probably do the same run on a Saturday afternoon in October and not have to dodge any people. Tall: Hmmm...hot tub, pool,steak, Angus The Bull cabernet (good stuff, BTW)...can you bring guests? Enkephalin: Congrats on completing the HM! 3 seconds off worst time in this heat is still very positive..think I once read that you lose about 1 second/mile for every degree over 55. Ribs: Did you sleep decent last night? Didn't run yesterday but went to softball practice...didn't try to run hard but hitting & throwing are pain-free...then went to the practice tee at the club and hit golf balls for about 30 minutes..also (relatively) pain free...apparently my groin injury has not cured my hook. Did another 4.1 miles on the hills this morning...Stamina still sucks but I cut 42 seconds off my Friday time...my runs have improved from "horrible" to just "lousy"...running tomorrow and then driving down to Atlanta Wed...Peachtree is Friday. I'm thinking I could still win if all the Kenyans have heart attacks... DickyG
              I see there are a number of race reports that I look forward to reading in a little while. Tammy, nice 5K. wildchild, that's impressive getting a 10 min. PR in your half and meeting mtnchk. Holly, I think I'll congratulate you on your 11 mile TM run. I do feel a bit nervous about you doing that when you were hurting so bad the previous few days. I hope there are no repercusions from your run. HandyMom, congrats on longest run ever. CNY, good job on your 10 mile race. ribs, I'm glad to hear you're headed to the doctor. Those symptoms make me a bit apprehensive. I hope it will turn out to be minor or nothing at all. PDR & WRFB, I envy you your time in Cancun. enke, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your half with lots of friends. Nice long runs for evan, Tramps, Holly, MaineRunnah, CNY, perch (including stadium aisles), hallar, lynden, and Evan. Good job on the speedwork for Dave. This morning, it was in the low 60s with a little wind and overcast. Since I am still GPS lacking (I've ordered a 205), I don't know distance as I'd like but I will estimate 5 miles in 59:28 for something under a 10 min pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Aahh, the site is up now. Vista – thanks for the wonderful start to our Monday. Spareribs – I’m going to keep clicking back this site all afternoon, hoping you’ll update us on what the doctor says. I’m quite fond of you, you old curmudgeon..... Smile DickyG – I would think swinging clubs or a bat would still be groin-pulling acivities. Be careful. My leg (butt) felt pretty good this morning, considering my over-exuberance yesterday, so I got on the treadmill this morning intending to do 4 slow miles, but quit at 3.7 miles at the first sign of it becoming painful (up from just mild soreness), thinking about Roch’s advice yesterday. Then I stretched and iced. I may take another rest day tomorrow, just to give this thing more healing time. My goal this week is to hopefully do a slow 16-miler on Saturday, and I will go very easy until then if I need to. The joy is that I can run at all, not that I need to every day. (Jeesh I am so seriously addicted to this running thing...) Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

10.6 miles in 1:32---humid, sunny (post t-storms) at 7 AM. Ran with the iPOD and felt fine. Ribs, so glad you are going to the doctor. Jammed morning....gotta scoot Karin MTA: race results from Saturday's ten mile race that I ran as a "workout", yeah..... 1:16:01 official time. I was 2nd in my age group (40-49) and 7th woman overall. Winner was 52 year-old Norm Larsen in 57:20 and for the women---29 year-old Megan Valentine in 1:07:06. Top masters woman came in at 1:08 (47). Cool and groovy.
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good job, Holly, especially on the stopping early! I now know how hard that is. I hope you continue to do well! I'm happy that I made it 2 miles on the high school track this morning without feeling any pain. I'm also relieved that it felt very easy - at least I'm not starting from scratch! I was really worried about that. While I was at the track, DS15 ran 8 miles on XC trails with two of his teammates. I have to say that these boys impress me - they're planning on running at 7:30 am every weekday! They know they have a strong team, and they want to repeat as state champions in the fall, so they're working hard. After our runs, both of us did my regular Y stretching/strength class. I kept peeking at DS - it's so fun to see a coordinated kid do lunges, pushups, balance ball work, etc. He makes it look effortless. For the FIRST time, the instructor pointed me out twice as a good role model! Usually I'm the poster child for uncoordination, so I was quite excited. Big grin Enjoy your week! Here in Maine, the whole week is kind of a holiday for a lot of people. My parents arrived last night for a 12-day visit, so it will be fun doing stuff with them in between trying to get design projects out the door.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Teresa and Holly...Nice easing into it and listening to your pains! 4 Magical Muggy Healing Miles with Tory at 10 min pace AHR 139. Nuthin special. Ribs...GL with the Dr!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

dg.

Ribs, I'm so glad you could get today. Best of luck to you. ok, back to work.
                        stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Monday to all. after a fun-filled rainy weekend in Maine, I'm trying to catch up a little. Even though I brought a wireless modem with me, for some reason I very rarely got the computer back from DD and her two cousins. Somehow, Facebook and Myspace is more important than reading about running Smile Ribs--I'm late, but still glad you're getting checked out. with a past coronary concern, that's always the first thing to pop into your head. I will say that like someone else said, there are other less serious things that can make you feel that way. It's way late, but had a good run on Sunday along a nice (mostly) rolling route. I have to go back and do a mileage check, but recollection of last year was about 4.5 miles in 43 minutes. not quite as fast as the last few, but also not nearly as flat, so I was happy. I also had to walk down the steepest hill at the end when the knees started hurting a little. I have to work on the "no braking" when doing the downhills. i left my shoes on the porch when I got back, since they were rather sandy. about an hour later, it started pouring and DW asked me "were you planning on washing your running shoes? they're about to overflow" So even though I missed running in the rain, I still get the fun of stuffing newspaper in them for the next couple of days. Roll eyes Holly--I had what I thought was a serious pull in that area a few months ago. it brought me to a dead stop it hurt so much. but I stopped for a few days (I have a lot more rest days built into my schedule than you do Wink ) and limped around and it went away, never to return. I hope youurs goes away as easily.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

double clic Embarrassedked

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

dg.

Teresa, that's great! woohoo for 2 miles, & for coordination. Wink. DickyG, thanks for the sponge tips. I'm sorry about your dancing results. I can join you to some extent.. my latest injury - to make a long story short- is related to gardening. There's an impressive tale, huh? Roll eyes Sorry I'm so behind on everything. Lot's of PR's I've noticed but not yet commented on. 2 that I think of right now... Carolyn's 1/2, & Handymom's longest run ever. Big grin. I'm concerned about Twocat & his DW. I'm off to the doctor's soon too. Nothing as critical as Ribs... just the podiatrist. But wish me luck, if you feel like it. I haven't been able to run for a week so far, so I'm a little nervous about what he might say. Kevin, hope your shoes are as good as new.

I Can Go The Distance

4 recovery miles for me today at 10:05 pace. 5k race on Friday, so no speedwork this week. Ribs: You are in my prayers today. Holly: Glad you could get some miles in today. 16 miles on Saturday Confused Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano