Masters Running

eastern states 20 mile RR (Read 481 times)

ok - so i have to start out with my usual enthusiasm because in all honesty this was an AMAZING DAY!! my gf and i hooked up in the parking lot at hampton and boarded the bus to kittery, maine and ended up sitting with 2 of my fellow MVStriders!! so cool!! the bus put us at the academy before 8:30 and they weren't quite ready to hand out bib numbers, chips or shirts yet, but that was ok - time for bathroom breaks and to good conversation with fellow runners!! right before we headed out to the start i spotted CNYrunner and her family!! so awesome and so glad i did because i'm sure she was long gone before i finished!! so great to meet you Karin!! my gf told me she was going to run with me most of the time because it was her first 20 miler ever and she said it would be fun to do it together for my birthday - well, i told her to pull ahead any time she wanted cuz she is truly much faster than i am!! we stayed together for the first 11 miles which was soooooooo FUN!! probably way too fast for me but fun anyway!! the good - unofficially i ran 13.1 miles in 1:57 so i have my unofficial sub2hour 1/2 marathon - the bad - probably too fast for me considering i had 7 miles to go...............but, it was in my head to push really hard for those 13.1 miles and then just take it easy for the next 7 - didn't realize just HOW EASY i was going to have to take it!! by mile 15 i was slowing down - by mile 17 i was HURTING!! BUT at 17.25 right in front of the ashworth hotel was the best site EVER!! my dh, and 4 of my friends all standing there, holding a sign for me and singing happy birthday - now how cool is that - that was the best present at the most needed time!! unfortunately, mile 18 brought some horrible calf and toe cramps - can't believe it - really felt like i ate right and hydrated properly but at that point i had serious doubts about my ability to finish - i was in agony - but i just told myself walk when you have to jog when you can and that's what i did .......... really tough way to finish tho and the calf and toe cramps after were crazy - bummer!! but that's the ugly and i finished to i'm still happy!! the only other disappointment which i won't let bother me is the race times afterward were WAY off - when i crossed the finish the 20miler clock said 3:17 and my garmin said 3:17 (there was a 2nd clock but that was for the 1/2 marathoners and was 3:09 so knew that wasn't my time) ......... well, the posted times at the post-race party had me at 3:25 and my gf's time was 8 minutes slower than her garmin as well!! so strange - how could that be???? i don't know but i'm going by my garmin and what i know i saw on the finish clock!! so - all in all - I AM HAPPY!! it was a glorious day - sunny, dry and a slight chill in the air!! i dressed right for me and ditched the gloves party way thru - 2 running shirts, MVS singlet, long pants, headband for the ears and boston marathon cap for the sun!! the race is beautiful - i love seeing the ocean altho i could have done without some of the highway running (1A south) oh - NO STOMACH cramps this week - YEAH!! AND i met Henry and Marj as they were leaving the Ashworth and I was arriving!! so fun!! my dh and friends were inside and i grabbed some post-race food they sat with them for a couple of beers!! now i'm home, happy to be done and waiting to have birthday cake with my dh and boys!! thank you for reading!! LIFE IS TRULY GOOD!!!! Smile

denise

Deez4boys!!!!! It was so wonderful to meet you and your friend. Folks, you need to know that deez4boys is as marvelous as she seems from her posts---beautiful, friendly and totally loving running. Congratulations on gutting it out and setting a PR within your race as well. I am SO sorry that I forgot it was your birthday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! and a perfect way to celebrate indeed. I'll post my report once the results are up, but I am very happy as well. What a spectacular day we had, eh? I am jealous that you got to meet Henrun and Marj. We didn't go back to the Ashworth after all. Anyway, great job and great racing! I am thrilled we got to meet and perhaps we'll see one another at another race soon. Blow those candles out with joy (you look like you are 30 or something by the way) CNYrunner/Karin

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Happy Birthday! What a great way to celebrate! Great race and RR. I bet it was really great to see your support section at mile 17.25! Congratulations! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Congrats & Happy Birthday d4b! A great time for the HM and true grit and determination for the other 7. Perhaps low electrolytes are the cause of the cramps? Maybe some e-caps after the first 80 minutes next time? Just an idea. Glad you had a fun day! Skip

King of PhotoShop

How wonderful to read a RR where the writer runs a great race, does it well, has a good time, enjoys her birthday, and meets new friends. What an enthusiastic and happy report this was. Very well done. Spareribs
            Henrun

Denise, so great to see you. Sorry we didn't get to meet Karin. I, also, forgot it was your birthday-HAPPY BIRTHDAY! It was a wonderful way to celebrate. Sorry about those cramps-electroytes, electrolytes! Hope to see you again soon and spend more time than just a brief sidewalk chat.
                thanks everyone!! you are all my inspiration!!

denise

LIFE IS TRULY GOOD!!!! Smile
                  You said it all right there deez4! Happy Birthday and a very well run race.
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    This IS the only way to spend a BD...with a great ...challenging LR, friends.....what more can there be... You did awesome....time to sit back with a big smile...
                      Happy birthday! It sounds like you had a great day and that is all birthdays and this sport should be about! Your enthusiasm for the race and the day comes shining through your report!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Happy Birthday, and congrats on the race. It sounds like you had fun, despite the cramps. Wink Are ya ready for your next one??

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sounds like you had a fantastic time. Thanks for sharing it with us. I've been on the receiving end of cramps like that - it's agonzing. Props for sticking it out. You've got a lot of heart! Happy Birthday!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Renee the dog

First HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Second WAY TO GO! You gutted it out when it got tough! That has to be soooo satisfying. Nicely done!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

SteveP

There's no better way to celibrate a birthday!!!!! Bless your dh and friends!!! welll done on a sub 2 HM as well. The finish sounds tough, but you hung in there! Thanks for the RR

SteveP

Congratulations on persevering on for those last 7 very tough ones, getting your sub-2 hour half in the process, and most of all for feeling so good about your great day.
                                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33