Masters Running

Tuesday the 27th, and I'll see if I can beat Jay (Read 31 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Waiting for my coworker to wake up, so killing a little time.

Two miles around the the apartment complex in NJ

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yes you can, Stumpy, and by a long shot! I hope your co-worker is awake by now.

I haven't had a chance to read posts for a couple of days, so I hope everyone is feeling, training and racing well.

I don't know what in the name of Sam Hill is going on, but I'm being bombarded with emails every day that require responses, and are taking up a huge chunk of my time (that's what I've been doing for the last 90 minutes this morning, and I'm still not done, but needed a break). I also have 3 varied appointments today (the EPA, a chimney sweep, and a Conservation Commission meeting tonight). I figure it'll be like this until after our half marathon on Nov. 8, so I'll likely be checking in sporadically till then.

No workouts yesterday or today because my butt is still a pain in the butt. I think I'm going to have to step up the treatment plan if I'm going to get beyond this nonsense.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

quick post for Econo//....get that boy some Thorlo's and he'll be hooked forever.......

my work-out

tune for today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eQpQF1MqCo

they actually

did studies at British Military Colleges

and found the Scots increased their running stamina

while listening to Bagpipe music

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Speaking of socks, I got a pair of these as part of the swag at the Pinelands trail race i did over memorial day.

http://darntough.com/

They cost $17 on their website, but I would seriously consider paying that for another pair.  Haven't worn them enough to know how tough they are, but they're darn nice.

...it's hard to not trust a SockMonkey.......

Sayhey! MM#130

I love Sock monkeys!  (Will I love them in December, however, after the Harpeth Hills Marathon??)

Poor Jay.   I don't have a pain in the butt, but I definitely have to step up exercising the area, as I tend to start leaning to my left in the later miles of marathons due to lack of muscles there .

YAY! tomwhite making huge strides, literally and figuratively.

even with the obstacles, our MikeE was 4th in his AG.   I cannot even imagine how much hurdling and vaulting he had to do.  I lined up just behind the 3:45 pace group as that 's about the pace I wanted to run for the first 5K.  I had to do a lot of broken field running as there were people running way slower than that.  No excuse, really, for runners not lining up properly.  Fortunately, there was a young lady in a skirt who must have been an NFL blocker in another life.  I just followed her lead and slipped through the openings she found.   Thanks and good karma to her.

Mile between 12 and 13 lined with folks holding flags and posters (photos and names) of fallen soldiers.  Some showed them with their families.  As you might imagine, almost all were young.  I was very moved.

Met a young lady at the airport for whom the MCM was a first marathon.  Her husband's a deployed (Middle East) marine and on a mission so she hadn't been able to tell him she finished.  She was toting a Star Wars sword for their 5 year old.  Puts the day into perspective.  So did the fellow on two prosthetic legs (both above the knee) I passed around mile 21.  He finished; I checked after.

3 Three and a third very easy miles this am in a slight drizzle, around 74 degrees.  Nice.

Full moon tonight, right?

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Good job stumps, . . and amy and  mikeE.

Now that I’m too slow to run any of the big ones anymore I used to love, with the annual Carkeek 12-hour Fun Run looming on Saturday that doesn’t matter how fast or slow or far or short anyone runs or walks, this whole week was going to be easy-going tapering with daily 5-mile cycling commutes.

Unfortunately, Lady Luna has a way of upending the best laid plans: 5.00 running miles into Lady Luna for about 45 minutes before she slipped behind the clouds and Olympic Mountains across Elliott Bay to say nothing of Mt. Rainier to the south down the Duwamish River.    no wonder I love runnng in Seattle so much. 
                ps enks - as one of my cycling friends says,

“running is for people who don’t have a bicycle.”

As long as it is fun and exercise, I love 'em all.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

Anyone heard from deez?  Looks as if she encountered some challenging conditions:

"Matthew Lalor's late decision to run the 2015 Leicester Marathon paid off after he decided to register for the race after seeing that high winds were forecast for the Dublin Marathon - the race he had been training for."   --from Marathonguide.com

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

I had just finished reading Aamos saying this,

" Puts the day into perspective.  So did the fellow on two prosthetic legs (both above the knee) I passed around mile 21.  He finished; I checked after,"

then I went right to Tet saying "Good job Stumps,"

and I had to stop and re-read everything......

45 minutes of thigh-numbing torture on the bike trainer for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

4.3 gorgeous dark and a bit foggy miles with the bright almost full moon, and those doubled up planets, is it Venus and Jupiter? shining so brightly in the sky.  Run felt sproinky too.

However, sprinting to catch my bus later in the day, I was pulled up short with that old knee pain.  Will take it easy, meaning, I will have to go see the moon again tomorrow morning, and I will run if I can, but walk if something with the knee feels off.

Did Spareribs bring this nice weather our way?

Mariposai - I liked your answer to the Easy Pacer on why 3 hours of running on a Saturday is not a waste of time.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

The MCM is in many ways a one of a kind race.  I read a bittersweet story about a man who upon finishing the marathon went to his father's grave in Arlington and put his finishers medal on it. It almost brings me to tears just writing this.

AamosY last I heard deez4boyz was having a post race beer.  I suspect she is doing quite well!

An elliptical day for me.  My DW had a clever idea for a costume and I lost a bit of time this morning tracking down the stuff we needed. The costumes are based on a pair of paintings in our house.  We are holding a Halloween party.  Will anyone notice we are dressed like the people in the paintings? 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

gooey2goofy

New to the site.  Seeing if there are any other crazy 50+ folks trying to get/stay in shape......

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

New to the site.  Seeing if there are any other crazy 50+ folks trying to get/stay in shape......

Nope.  No way.  Nobody like that around here at all.

Sounds like you'll fit in well.  Welcome to the asylum.

Nope.  No way.  Nobody like that around here at all.

...we also have some Shares left in the Swamp Land we're selling....

Welcome Aboard Gooey//..........How Long you been Running??

=============

actually,

I was gonna ask the group ''What's the STOOPIDIST work-out you've ever done??""

I just finished 20-min on the Elliptical

and

40-min PoolRun, nb,cf, deo

so tomorrow, I'm either gonna feel Great

OR

wonder What The Hell I Was Thinking

...............good running guys

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  My flight has been delayed by over an hour...yipee!

Welcome to the group gooey!

Amy--I'll bet we passed that guy at the same time...was it just betore going under the bridge?  When I saw him, it was a little hard to keep feeling sorry for myself.

I had a nice visit with my Air Force buddy.  He has a great family.  His four grandkids and his two daughters came over to carve jack-o-lanterns last night.  As frail as he is (did I tell you he is going through cancer treatments and just had surgery) he was at the table with them, carving away.  He is a very loved man, that's for sure...and I think he deserves it.

I have been battling a headache since the end of the marathon on Sunday, so I think I'm going to close my eyes and try to relax a little bit.  Yeah, right...me relax while in an airport...I'll close my eyes. See ya!

It is now a 2 hour delay...