Masters Running

Saturday May 2 Spring Runs (Read 38 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Saturday!

2 weeks after a marathon I usually have enough energy for about 12-13 miles for a LR, so I wasn’t sure what I would get today. Since I am scheduled to run the Tie Dye 32-miler in two weeks, I felt the need to get a somewhat decent LR in, hoping for 18-20 miles. As it turned out, I got 17 miles in and called it quits.  9 holes of golf walking later will add to the day.

Tonight we’re going to see a band called Naked Karate Girls. They are not naked, and they are not girls, but they are a fun local band. Hopefully I can stay awake.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...and a Gracious Good Morning holly//...........NakedKarateGirls??..........talk about False Advertising....

==========

...but I digress.....

34-min poolrun, no belt, deep end only, closed fists

and a BikeRide tomorrow

.............................been using my TENS all week, leg actually felt pretty good

...............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

I want to see some naked karate girls!

Beautiful day here, and the Saint and I ran 4 miles in the park, my 4th consecutive week of 35 miles and her 2nd week at her new level of 32.

They had a fiveK race going on in the park while we were out there, so we stopped when the runners caught up to us and let them pass, cheering for them all, which was fun.  One couple went by us and said, "Hi Ribs!  And you must be the Saint" (to my wife).  I had no idea who they were but that was fun.   Spareribs

This morning was another great one for running.  It was in the mid 40s and almost calm.  I did 6 miles at an 11:13 pace.

After my run and breakfast, we drove down to my son's.  Tomorrow, our daughter in law and some others are throwing a bridal shower for our daughter.  We'll try to help a little.  We'll stay over until monday and do our normal weekly baby sitting day.  One of my sisters and her husband will be showing up tonight.  Other than the shower itself, when us guys will get lost for a few hours, it should be a fun weekend.  I expect us guys will also enjoy our "lost" time.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Nice LR, Holly, even if it was "only" 17 miles. How many more miles do you think you'll walk on the links?

Someone at our office said this is supposed to be a weekend for naked gardening. I know a lot of folks who will be working in their gardens, but I think the only things naked will be plants, etc.

Nice workout Tom. Enjoy the ride tomorrow.

Are you and the Saint training for something, Ribs? There's no place to hide, is there?

At the Children's Museum 5K this morning, it was overcast and too cool till about 3 minutes before the start. Then the sun came out, the temp went up about 5 degrees (to the mid-upper 40s), and it was great racing weather. My Garmin had me finish in 31:58 for a 10:05 pace, which was good enough for 2nd place in the competitive walking div. I worked pretty hard, but couldn't make up any ground on my friend, Stephan, who finished first. A few folks from my racewalking group were there, including some newbies, and it was great to see them all racing. Everyone said they had fun, so it was a good day all around. Now I have to go get some yardwork done around here. No, I won't be naked, so the neighbors will be happy.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Holly S. and  Spareribs I would certainly not want to see Naked Karate Girls who are actually Naked Karate Guys!

breger1 I have not seen you in the daily for some time!  Welcome back!

tselbs the problem those moms clearly have is they are asking too much!    Pretty funny set of posts.

tetsujin209 I like octopus.  I like potato chips.  I like ketchup.  I like oranges.  I am pretty sure many of these pairs do not belong together!

coastwalker it depends.  If your DW sells you do you come with your business?  

stumpy77  good crack about the mix!  

Mariposai Brandon gets extra points for thinking of toast gimmick!

rochruner my DW and I are both big fans of the run-walk strategy.  Glad it is working for you.

fatozzig I am amazed by what people think regarding food!  It may have been lost on them that all those plants they eat pop up out of dirt (unwashed dirt I might add!) live out in the open where birds (unfarm broken!) fly about and bugs crawl around.  I suppose if your ancestors grew up in hermetically sealed environments without any microbes to battle this could be a problem.  

Dave59 have fun at the race, assuming you do it.  If not have fun with whatever was in the other 45% of the probability spectrum!

AamosY Okay I get the "Blooms" in the cartoon but what is the "Boylan" character for?

C-R writer's block!  The curse of my life!  Good luck with the RFP.

evanflein I really, really hate to think what "a bit chilly" means in your lexicon!  Good luck at the race!

I think I ran my last long training run today.  I went out for 18 with 11 at MP.  Done and I felt pretty good the whole way.  Well relative to having my teeth pulled, or stung by a million bees or . . . Well what do you want it was 11 at MP!  Really, sitting in an easy chair with a whiskey feels way, way better!  Ahem.  Back to the story.  Last weekend the HM went better than I could really hope for.  Today went well.  I am going to see about moving my marathon date up by signing up for the Vermont City Marathon.  That is May 24, which is two weeks before the Sunburst Marathon on June 6.  Knocking off two weeks means I get to start tapering next week.  I appear to have pretty much peaked out on my training so starting to taper seems like a good idea.  Is anybody else around here doing Vermont City?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hi friends, beautiful day here north of Boston!!

Had a rough Montessori track session Thursday night that has left me feeling a little down, but trying to stay positive. We did agility work then ran some trails and did 1 minute hill repeats x6 in the trails -- my heel was not happy at all, in fact it was downright angry at me!!  I went home and did some strength work, PT exercises and iced my foot - still a little sore working all day Friday but not awful.  Today 80 minutes on the computrainor - hill workout on the bike.  I would have loved to go for a long ride outside later with a group of friends, but Justin needed me to watch my little Maria for the day and overnight so how could I pass that up!!

TwoCat - I have a few friends who have been training for Vermont City!

Cherish the gift my friends!!

denise

All this talk about racing - I am absolutely itching to participate in a run.  Right now, though, my hope is to be well enough and in good enough shape to run the Grasshopper Peaks 30k on June 6.  This is the same race I did last year and swore I'd never do again (4268 elevation in 18 miles).  I don't listen to me, so why should anybody else?

2Kitty - I agree with your assessment re germs and food.  I had a very hard time not over her comments.

I need to do some yard work, but I guarantee I won't be naked.  Nobody wants to see that.

1 hr of steady stationary biking this morning.  Now I'm trying to get some transcription done, then will head a friend's son's baseball game.

Enjoy the rest of your day ~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hi all!

Happy Saturday indeed!

Leslie, my mother always said you eat a peck of dirt before you die.  Not sure she'd have thought of including trail running face plants.

The RD for next week's trail race called for a training run that started the same time and place as my regular group...... so there were maybe 40 on the path rather than the usual 10 or so.  Ended up running sweep, I.e. really slow, for 12 miles.

Oh and for other news, I got into the Chicago marathon. Nothing like doing a first-ever official marathon at age 59!

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

evanflein

Twocat, I think CNYrunner is running Vermont City. Should be fun! And "a bit chilly" was 39° when I left the house, 44° from the bank sign I could see from the bus that took us to the race, and I think 49° when I finished. Glad I had gloves. Beautiful sunny day though.

So the Chena River Run 5k for some stupid reason was short this year. This race is run on virtually the same route every year for ages. We re-routed the start in 2013 when the snow was still all over, but other than that, pretty much the same. Something felt off in the first mile but I couldn't say for sure what. Someone stands at the one mile mark calling the time and when I went by he called out "one mile at 5:40" and I knew something was up. I can't run a 5:40 mile even if downhill with wolves chasing me... So I just kept on, thinking if it was short, it was short for everyone. But it's so annoying, because you can't look back and compare with other years. My final time was 21:13 for 2.9 miles, overall average pace 7:15. If I could've held that pace another .2 mile I think it'd be a PR! But... we'll never know. Don't know stats yet for AG or whatever, but it felt good but hard at the end. Then I ran back to the truck (1.6 mile) then drove to the school across from DH's office to run on the bike path another 7.2 so 11.1 for the day.

Holly, that sounded like plenty of miles. Have fun at the Naked Karate Girls and you should take pictures, you know.

Hang in there, Deez... it'll get better, but you might want to give it some more time. That sounds like quite the workout on a less-than-100% foot.

Did Breger stop by? I'll have to go back and check I guess. I missed that... long time no "see"!

Nice, Heme! Nothing wrong with waiting till you're ready, right?

Nice 5k for you, Jay. That's very impressive for walking, wow.... I never see any race walkers around here, but most of our races have a very large "walking" contingent. Or should it be maybe "moseying" since they really seem to be in no hurry.

Ok, I've got a lot to do before we leave tonight. Later!

Thanks for the report Erika. I just looked at the results and the lead men were a good 45 seconds faster than you'd expect and I saw that Davya ran 17:38 which would be a PR by about the same amount.

Anyway, good job. You had a very nice run today!

Here I did the Greenland 25K Trail Race and enjoyed it. Ran even pace throughout (well by effort on the hills) and finished with a 5th overall, 2nd masters (technically, but the 2nd place overall guy was a 40 so he got scored in the open division), and a new course best for 50 and over. The course is rolling between elevation of about 6850 and 7450, sandy, but firm footing. 1:50:01. I didn't realize I was that close to 1:50, I thought it was like 20 seconds off.

Won a pair of trail shoes for the effort.

C-R

Cool xc on winning some shoes.

Nice long one run holly and that's a great name for a band. I once watched a band calle five schizophrenic and I. They rocked.

Have fun tslebs it sounds nice.

Hit aittle over 13.8 today and refused 3 soccer matches. After mowing there's I decided to make a fire and have a beer as a treat. I really like spring here. Now the kids are using the fire for s'mores and I'm almost done for the day.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Erika--I ran a 5k once that they later determined was short.  I'm sure it would have been my pr even if it had been accurate...still ticks me off.  Have fun in Florida!

I really screwed up my run, today.  When I was thinking clearly, I had planned on running 10.  At the last minute, though, I decided to do 14...thinking that I wanted to do a run longer than the 13.1 that I'll be doing in two weeks.  So...I set out to do 14 at about a 7:15 pace.  I had spent the day up and down a ladder painting facia on a house we are trying to buy (that's another long story that I'm sure I'll bore you all with someday). Anyway...I figured I'd start out easy and work into the 7:15.  Remember, I don't have a GPS anymore and my sense of pace has gone out the window.  So, when I went through the first mile in 6:47 I scolded myself and backed off the effort...then went through the second mile in 6:59.  I called myself a couple of dirty names and backed off the effort again...mile 3 was 7:03...that felt better but I really didn't want to be going that fast but I thought, maybe, I was just having a very good day.  I started thinking about my upcoming race and stared getting excited...which explains going through the 4th mile in 6:40.  Yeah...I was having a great run.  I went through the next 3 miles about 7:05 or so, to reach the turn a round in 48:42...I think that works out to be a 6:57 pace.  And then, somebody started putting rocks in my pockets, threw a weighted vest on me, and filled my shoes with concrete.  I was dead!  The last 7 miles were pure torture.  I won't take you through every painful mile but my overall time was 1:47:56...so it took me 59:14 to get back home...an 8:28 pace and the last two were 9:30's.

This did not do much for my confidence.

Okay--I guess I'd better get going--see ya.

Marathon Maniac #957

Very cool!

Oh and for other news, I got into the Chicago marathon. Nothing like doing a first-ever official marathon at age 59!

Erika - nice racing, but frustrating that it was short.

Mike - hang in there - didn't you just run a marathon two weeks ago?

The Naked Karate Girls were loads of fun - I actually stayed up until (gasp!) 12:15 am - first time in a LONG time....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hello everybody!  I can't believe I've been posting here for 20 years.

I really screwed up my run, today.  When I was thinking clearly, I had planned on running 10.  At the last minute, though, I decided to do 14...thinking that I wanted to do a run longer than the 13.1 that I'll be doing in two weeks.  So...I set out to do 14 at about a 10:15 pace.  I had spent the day up and down a ladder painting facia on a house we are trying to buy but  it's the 25th one on the last 20 years we've been trying to buy a new place and Debbie doesn't like that much so I'm trying to make it look nice for her to see and like too (that's another long story that I'm sure I'll bore you all with someday). Anyway...I figured I'd start out easy and work into the 10:15.  Remember, I can't figure out how to work the new. modern GPS's anymore and my sense of pace has gone out the window as I've gotten older in the last 20 years.  So, when I went through the first mile in 9:47 I scolded myself and backed off the effort...then went through the second mile in 9:59.  I called myself a couple of dirty names and backed off the effort again...mile 3 was 10:03...that felt better but I really didn't want to be going that fast but I thought, maybe, I was just having a very good day for the first time in five or six  years.  I started thinking about my upcoming race and stared getting excited...which explains going through the 4th mile in 9:40.  Yeah...I was having a great run.  I went through the next 3 miles about 10:05 or so, to reach the turn a round in 1:26:42...I think that works out to be a 9:57 pace.  And then, somebody started putting rocks in my pockets, threw a weighted vest on me, and filled my shoes with concrete.  I was dead!  The last 7 miles were pure torture.  I won't take you through every painful mile but my overall time was 3:01:56...so it took me 1:31:14 to get back home...an 13:00 pace and the last two were 15:30's.

I remember this happening once about 20 years ago before I churned out a new PR but this time, it did not do much for my confidence.

Okay--I guess I'd better get going--see ya.

wish me luck on the house this time, and my 325th marathon too

ps - did I tell you that I've been running barefoot for the last ten years?

good luck  mike

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)