Masters Running

Wed Mar 5 Runs and Workouts (Read 564 times)

Looking at yesterday's thread title, I see I'm not the only one who gets the date wrong Smile I ran an easy 5 in a light rain, 52F at the start but 46F at the finish. I think it was worse for PDR, who went out in a deluge (word of the week), but it wasn't so deluginous for me. It was windy, though -- 18 mph according to weather.com. I have been noticing that it's starting to get light at the end of my run, but I guess DST will fix that for a while. Oh, well. Workout: 4.1 miles, 8:29/mi, AHR 144 Overall: 5.1 miles, 43:00 Have a great day, everyone.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

LOL....I did get the date wrong yesterday Embarrassed....time just flies by!!! Nice 5 miler WRFB in some fairly nice temps. Yeah, the time change is going to mess early morning runners up. No run for me last night due to a level 3 emergency winter ice storm, plus I worked 14 hours yesterday and didn't have time to get to the Y to run on a dreadmill...and don't really want to. I have only ran on a treadmill once this winter which is fine to me. I manage at a collision center and the amount of accidents have been over whelming to say the least...but it's job security Smile Today is suppose to moderate and be partly sunny and around 40 degrees....hopefully the streets will be clear enough for a longer than normal mid-week run....please mother nature, we have had enough Have a great day and runs all...you all rock Cool Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Our steets were'n't cleared either... not from snow, but debris. We had one heck of a storm last night, I thought the roof was going to come off. So there were lots of little branches to plow through on the run. I ran six laps of a hilly 2.2 mile loop so knew where the debris was after the first lap. 13.2 mi in 1:59:14 (9:03, AHR 150) progression from 9:30 to 8:20. First half with Tory. Still dragging from the weekend racing. Have great runs. Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh it feels good to be home and back out on the road again!! I was worried what a week off of running would do to me - but it seemed to help. No leg pain and I managed negative splits for my 4 miler this morning - other than the last mile where I was dealing with some icy spots: Mile 1 - 10:34 Mile 2 - 10:03 Mile 3 - 9:52 Mile 4 - 9:58 I'm just overjoyed to see the 9's again!! Smile Walking those San Francisco hills must have done me some good. Happy Hump Day~ Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Streets were nice and clear for me this morning. Unseasonably warm and humid though. The AC is going strong as are the sweat glands. 12 miles with 8 repititions of 4 minutes at moderate pace, with 2 minutes recovery between. 9 minute/mile overall pace. 1:48 and change. I've been treating "moderate pace" as tempo pace (between 7:44 and 8:00 for me). The repeats were run at 8:02, 7:54, 7:59, 7:52, 7:52, 7:54, 7:49, and 7:44. Right on but hard near the end. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! WRFB – you know I went all day yesterday and never noticed that…Smile
              Holly, think of cross training as complementing your running, not taking anything away from it during marathon training. )
              Soundie – I thought about these words a lot last night. Thank you!
              I think it would be fun to put Erika, Holly and Sound all on a track and see WHO would quit first. The peer pressure and the conditioning of the three of you would be a RIOT to watch kick in. Mind you, watching the three of you run would be fun in itself, but that is another topic.
              Vista - are you kidding? Those two would leave me in the dust! Now CNYrunner, SHE would be a great match for Soundie and Erika. The 3 of them running together would be an inspirational sight. 7.55 very slow recovery-paced miles (ave pace10:48) for me this morning in 27 degrees, with careful footing on the layer of ice from last night's freezing rain. My run today actually felt very soothing to my legs, some of Perch’s Magical Healing Miles. Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning Boomers. I left palm trees and green grass and came back to snow banks and icy streets. Back on the dreadmill at 5:00 this morning. 5.0 miles in 47:10. It was nice running outside for a week but the forecast for this area doesn't look promising and the snow will not be disappearing any time soon. Plus, we got back last night and found out that Brett Favre is retiring. Sad Good Wednesday runs, everyone. Jeanne

Top 'O the World!

Good Morning Folks!! Having a bit of a rest day here..... **** brewing/winding up the next snowstorm to send East **** 19*F/99% H., snowing, wind gusts holding off to 32mph +/- ~~xt: Hazelnut coffee curls while watching news & trying to read RA boards before I need to head out on the icy roads for the day's schedule...where I will practice 'Winter Defensive Driving Skills'
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                    Good morning, all! Jeanne - I heard about Bret's retirement on the drive to work this morning - I'm totally bummed. I thought he would give it one more year. Winds and torrential rains here in CT this morning, so I'm glad it is a non-running day. Core and upper body weights scheduled for noon. We did our federal taxes yesterday and are now in mourning. Uncle Sam doesn't deserve such a big chunk of our hard-earned dollars. DH can forget about the new car for this year...... Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Steve, we had the same weather here last night but mostly torrential rain. It was beautiful this morning though..perfect running weather. 10.16 miles of hills @ 9:12pace. Nice running everyone...

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

KR's VRAA Teams are up. I'm on Team E with Choovie, Jura, Holly, Millbot, Joplus. Woohoo! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Morning all, 16 miles at 5 AM with 4x25 mins. at comfortable hard pace (7:48, 7:47, 7:44, 7:44) 2 mins. rest between each set. 36F and pouring rain. The last section was tough over a real pothole ridden section----jumped puddles to protect the ankles and tried to hold on to my running pants that had grown several sizes in the rain. What a sight. I am happy with the workout though----legs were stiff from travel (swollen feet too) and this was a by feel pace run. I don't own a Garmin and tried not to look at my watch until after each fast segment was complete (coach's orders). I live in the town where I went to college, so I know all the mile markings on most of the loops here. That's good and bad! Anyway---whole deal in 2:14:19. BTB--thanks for the article----great reading as I flew home last night. I hope others looked at it too.....good stuff. Laps around the track with Evanflein and Soundrunner? Hmmmm! Holly, you SO could be there too. That would be a blast. Mtnchk1---Please keep your storm a bit longer so I can make it home on Friday night. The Ides of March are soon upon us and creating all sorts of weather havoc it seems. Good runs all-----off to Phoenix, AZ this afternoon---amazing how shorts take up so little space in the 'ole suitcase. Cool CNYrunner
                            Well, we had another 5" of snow in this record-setting year that I had to blow out of the driveway before I could get into the rec center. Did 1.7 easy miles on the treadmill. Definitely making good recovery progress. Does this make sense? My DS, home for a short visit, was in a hurry to get back up to Mt. Pleasant yesterday, where he attends school (on break this week). This is about 150 miles north of here (Detroit metro area). When we asked what the hurry was, since a winter storm was coming on, he tells us that he and a friend bought tickets to a Red Wings game for tonight and he had to get back so they could drive together. That means driving 150 miles up to Mt. Pleasant Tuesday night, then Wednesday driving 150 miles back down to Detroit for the game, and then all the way back afterwards. Now I could think of a couple of ways to arrange this that would eliminate about 300 miles of driving, but he just didn't see it that way. Roll eyes When do kids' brains start working in a logical way?? Wow - the usual 10+ weekday runs today from Perch, Bill, Peter, and CNY. I don't know how you guys can keep doing it. Keep it up, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

KR's VRAA Teams are up. I'm on Team E with Choovie, Jura, Holly, Millbot, Joplus. Woohoo! Bill
                              Woo hoo is right!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

VISTA quote: "I think it would be fun to put Erika, Holly and Sound all on a track and see WHO would quit first. The peer pressure and the conditioning of the three of you would be a RIOT to watch kick in. Mind you, watching the three of you run would be fun in itself, but that is another topic." Soundrunner quote: "Damn if he didn't get me by 2 seconds again! Next month, he's going DOWN!! " Evanflein (Erika) quote: "On a track?? I'm out... can't do the running in circles thing very much. Put me on a trail though, and I'll see you next week!" NYRunner quote: "Laps around the track with Evanflein and Soundrunner? Hmmmm! Holly, you SO could be there too. That would be a blast." Holly quote: "Vista - are you kidding? Those two would leave me in the dust! Now CNYrunner, SHE would be a great match for Soundie and Erika. The 3 of them running together would be an inspirational sight." OK........I am sticking to the claim of this event being interesting just from the responses of the three I first mentioned. To add NYRunner would be fun too. I should have included you the first time. Here is how I see it:.......Soundie, Erika, and Holly all have this very competitive drive. There are other good, solid runners on this thread who do well, but they are not as competitive. Part of it may be training, part of it goals, and part of it temperment. but the three of you ALL have that "killer" instinct both in relation to others AND also in relation to yourselves. For the rest of us, this is fun to see as you daily post and share your runs, your goals, and your races. I didn't initially put NYRunner in there mainly because while I do see her with the ability to be competitive, she is a BIT more relaxed on the competitive drive. That does not mean that I think she would slack off if she had the chance to beat another runner, but she has a quieter confidence that allows her to put things in a bit of a different perspective. She might be considered the quiet snake that comes up at the end of the race and "puts you away". All of these observations I am making after only meeting one of the four of you in person. Even that meeting was not in a competitive environment but more social and a "fun run". Thanks for humoring me with this supposed race. The opportunity to run with ALL who are on this board would be fun. I still dream of an all time gathering of us all in one place centered around a race or some running event. By the way, the reason I needed this "race" to be on a track is that it is the only way that I would be able to watch ANY of you run for more than about 15 seconds. Soundrunner quote: lol. You've been paying attention (as always) vista. I like how you put that -- your heart being 3.5 miles stronger. Nice imagery. Nice run. Actually I am picking up on a TV advertisement that used similar phrasing. I am just claiming ownership of the saying. After all, originality is the ability to forget where you first heard it. (That quote is not original with me but I forget where I heard it).
                                Vista