Masters Running

Sunday 4/28/13 Daily (Read 52 times)

Tramps

Rest day for me but I wanted to give kudos to the racers

Carolyn—another impressive race with some serious hills!

Mari—congrats on the AG wins for you and DH!  And a nice 20-miler, too.

Mike—I got a 10K PR yesterday.  Then I realized your marathon pace was faster than that!  Shocked

Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mike E

MM #5615

Well, congratulations on your PR.  I'll bet your quads aren't as sore as mine.  They started hurting around mile 16 and haven't stopped.  It sure has been a fun trip, though.  Sadly...it's time to go.

...mornin' guys//............here's a Handy Tip.........

never bike in a FullBlown ThunderStorm,

28min blissfully biking thru pouring rain, gusting winds, and counting the seconds between lightning strikes,,,,,,,,

BAMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no

seconds

between

lightning

strikes.

one of those ''Oh Shitte'' Moments.

slunk back to the house,

hugging the tree line.

............good running to ya.................next time Mustang Sally posts, I need to ask her about that.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

...also I'm having trouble airing up the tires (???!!!)

King of PhotoShop

Mike, I used to get sore, tired quads 3/4 of the way into a marathon.  But doing wall sits was a huge help.  A minute a day was all I did.

I'm headed to St. Louis today and this is an odd trip as I will be there Monday through Friday.  Usually my out of town work is 2-3 days during the week so this one will be tough.

6 miles at the Lake this morning at MP plus 15 seconds; surprised myself.  Spareribs

13.55 slow and steady miles...mid 40s, partly cloudy and no wind...perfect...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

7.5 easy miles this morning .....  have a beautiful Sunday my friends!!

congrats on the pr's Mike and Tramps!!

denise

Good afternoon. Absolutely gorgeous day here!!!! wow..Nice run this morning before it got to hot...not sure on distance but it felt good. Two run days in a row..something must be happening..am i even contemplating starting to build a piddly base and get over 20k a week. LOL

Congrats on the prs Mike and Tramps!!!

Smile and enjoy the day everyone...

Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Marathon Maniac #957

Good afternoon!

TomWhite - that is scary!

We made it home after driving through some serious rain.  I am so glad we didn't have that weather yesterday, although that was in the forecast - we just lucked out.  Poor Mike will have to drive 12-13 hours today to get home, but for us is was more like 2.5 hours.

My log says I ran 39.9 miles this week, and it is so tempting to go out and run another .1 to make it a round number, but I think I will pass.  Joking

Now I am unpacked and re-packed, since tomorrow I leave from work to head to the airport in the afternoon to go to Atlanta for a two-day conference.  A little more puttering around the house and I will sit down to spend some time with the family.

While I had been thinking about the Mill Run Marathon in Indiana this fall, Tara and Lindsey, my two local friends who ran the KY Derby Marathon with me, pretty much have me talked into running the Presque Island Marathon in PA on 9/15/13.  The course is run as two loops around Presque Isle State Park on a Lake Erie island. The website describes it like this:

This marathon is quite possibly the flattest course in the country as evidenced by having over 24% of the 2012 marathon participants qualify for the 2013 Boston Marathon. World records were recently set on this course in 2003 and 2005.

I don't know about any Boston qualifying, but I haven't done any races in Pennsylvania, and running around an island might be scenic.  This is a smallish race - 669 marathon and 1051 HM finishers last year.  Anyone looking for something like that in September?

I don't have time now, but maybe will try to do a short RR next week about the Derby Marathon.  Very nice race, most excellent company to share it with.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mustang sally

Bad faerie

TomWhite, fenders won't do nuthin' for lightning.  Be careful.

Fun active day so far.  I decided to pass on our local huge 10k because I'm just not fit to race that kind of distance right now and instead, stood and cheered as 13,000 people passed by my house.  What fun!  The Kenyans are, as always, breathtaking.

Then I went for a little mountain bike and a trail run after, which I am calling a mountain brick.  Not so much in the triathlon sense, but because I felt like a big dumpy brick.  Oh, well.  :45 on my feet is still good.

Enjoy your remaining weekend.

aka FlyingFinn

I made bread this afternoon and planned for it to rise while I did my hilly long run.

I don't know if any of you have done this, but I ran (Garminless) until I felt halfway tired before turning around, discovering a little later that I had way less than half a tank left.

2:45 and the bread was well risen.

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

No run but I volunteered at a relay race, Mt. Si Relay.  Nice smaller sized relay, not the circus event Ragnar is.  59 miles total.  No van to rent as you only have 5 people per team, and only do two legs each.  I'd like to try it someday.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TW: You have to remove those little caps on the valves first.

Tramps: More details on your 10K maybe? A PR? And at your age?

Holly: I've found that a totally flat course can be fatiguing in its own way since you end up running at one pace, one stride length, turnover, etc. the whole time, which is quite tiring (to me at least). I think that a few gentle ups and downs let you shift the load to different muscles once in a while. The same goes for cycling: a gently rolling route is less tiring overall than a totally flat one.

When I went to pick up my award for the 10K I recently ran, I had a surprise in that the AG win came with a $50 running store gift card! I'm actually glad I didn't know that in advance; I'd probably have really pushed myself and bonked.

Rode 30 miles yesterday, 15 with my DW, on a glorious Spring day -- just about our first day like that of the year. Today was cooler and grayer, but I ran 6 miles on the "trolley trails" at our favorite local park with the gang.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Bushrat Runner

Lightning is not my favorite during a run. Luckily we get about one thunderstorm every two years, so I don't have a lot of experience dealing with that.

Friday, a coworker wanted to run so we went 4 after work. Today, Mo called and we just ran 7.5 or so. And now, the lady that was going to run with us, and had to bail, wants to run so I'm going out for another 8 or so. I hope this lady is slow enough that I don't hold her back too much, I'm totally not in shape for this, but maybe it will get me motivated to get out the door more.

TW: You have to remove those little caps on the valves first.

Big grin

...I'm using your tip on uphills in low gear, and not standing...

.........but the damn pump doesn't want to seat

it is that Standard Kind,

not the fancy ''Racing'' type valve stems.

maybe I just bought a Cheapo Pump??

.............gonna go see the BikeShop and get a better one, but it IS kind of embarassing.