Masters Running

40's on the run, wk of 8/10/08 the cicadas are singing can Fall be far away? (Read 355 times)

flatland mountaineer

I did a 10 mile long run today, very slow but felt I could have gone on a bit after. 86 degrees at run time, perfect for corn but way to hot for an old fat guy like me. I finished the week with decent mileage but didn't get it posted. Fair run at Chase Co next weekend then take my dad to the parade and a corvette show after. My neighbor was sick last week so I was running the big truck hauling corn to piggies, ethanol, and to a train bound for Tx cattle feedlots and spraying and tillage for fall wheat seeding. Generally August is a slower month but I booked 35 loads of corn to go out, hopefully my neighbor will run at least half of those. Lynda has pretty much taken care of the irrigation lately, it is all center pivot so no siphon tubes to set etc. but it requires daily checks and maintenance also monitoring of soil moisture profiles unless we get significant rain. I keep the wheat stubble from July's harvest weed free with 2 herbicide apps one starting now and one the first week of sept. My other jobs are spraying fallow ground going to wheat this fall and get wheat saved for seed cleaned. My last August job is to get wheat seeding and fall harvest equipment ready, maybe I can hire some of that done. So in general Aug is an easier month if you hire your spraying and don't have grain storage or run trucks but apparently I too dim to figure that out. Supposed to sneak in a week at Estes in at the end of the mo, don't know if thats gonna happen. Up from the ground come a bubblin crude........ Hope you hit it rich Carol, we leased out ground out for nat gas prod. They did siesmic last winter and drilled my cousins field this summer and made a big ol mess in the wheat field I rent but paid for damages. We found Mtnchks race online and see that Cindy finished, hope the foot held out ok!! Leslie can't wait to hear bout the crewing experience. Joe I know that why the heck is he running that look u talked about in CT. Kinda fun running in new places. Jewels I think we should be able to log "sticky" miles 2x the distance, don't spose Coach Kelly would let us get away with that one either Wink Wink. Kelly any more ultras before fall? Salty great to hear from ya.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Just a quicky howdy 'cause this gal is ty-red. Kate did fantastic, finishing the 100 miles on 28:40:04. She ran a phenomenal race, coming in 4th out of 8 females, and 22nd overall. Lots of DNFs in the 50 miler and probably 6 or 7 (maybe more?) in the 100 miler. It's an extremely challenging course, and I guarantee most of those people had no idea what they were getting into. Russ turned out to be the best pacer Kate could've asked for. He ran the last 40 miles with her, and they had a blast together. As far as the crewing side, it was a very educational, fun, and rewarding experience. I will do a full report later, but suffice to say, I would do it again in a heartbeat. However, it is now 4:35 p.m., and since 5:15 yesterday morning, I've had maybe 1.5 hours of sleep, and that was around 4:30 this a.m. And the night before was not a good night's sleep, nor the night before that. I don't think we can say we're even running on fumes. Like I said, I'll post a report later, and I got some great pictures. Will catch up on everyone's posts from the last two days later.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Sorry, sticky miles don't count any more than a mile anywhere else. Big grin Jim, you are a busy guy. The time you spend with your Dad is awesome. Nice run today even though it was 86 degrees. I would have been going slow too. Lucky for me today the sun was out this morning but surprise! surprise! clouds came in and it started thundering. Jack, Aliza and I were out running in the woods trying to find our way around a friend's trail system. Aliza had to leave after 14 miles and Jack and I kept going to get 30 for today. I'm going by time-we were out there for 5:40ish with the first 14 being done in about 2:30 (Aliza had a footpod on). It was a good day-the rain seemed to be around us all afternoon and until the last hour or so but it wasn't hard and we were in the trees so we hardly felt it. I got a weekly mileage PR of 83 miles! Big grin I'm training for my first 100 miler in September-the Iroquois Trail 100 in Virgil, NY. However, I've had a sore left hamstring since June anyway and finally started physical therapy about 3 weeks ago. It's not getting much better but it's not getting worse. My PT guy actually suggested that maybe I shouldn't aim for the 100 and wait until next year. It didn't really bother me today and Jack even commented I was moving along well. So we'll see......I'm only 6 weeks away..... Confused Hope everyone else had a great weekend-can't wait to hear about Cindy and Leslie's adventures! Kelly
        If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
          Morning all.... Carol, congrats on becoming a distant relative of the Clampetts. Nice..... Congrats to Leslie's friend Kate on a super race. Can't wait to read reports from both Leslie and Kate. Leslie, be sure to give us a link of her report when she rests and finally gets one done. Kelly, hope the left hammy gets to feeling better during these next few weeks. Congrats on a mileage PR for the week! Nice hot run you had there Jim. 10 miles in 86 degrees ain't for sissies. YOUR NOT FAT! Have a great week everyone......Jewels
          But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
            R2, love the title this week, and I hope it's true! Thanks for starting us off. Nice 10 miles. It's good to feel like you can keep going. And what is it with guys and corvette's? My hubby has a lustful look on his face every time we pass one. If your dad is still into them, I guess there's not hope that you guys grow out of it. Hope you can squeeze in that trip to Estes Park. Nice of you to help out your neighbor though, that's kinda rare these days. Cindy, ahem...report please...The race isn't over until you tell about it Wink Leslie, sounds like a great adventure/experience. I hear the ultra community is awesome, and it sounds like you are becoming part of it. Kelly, just a leisurely 30 miles huh Tongue? And 83 for the week Shocked Sounds like you are well on your way to that 100 miler. Hope the PT helps the hamstring. You know your bod better than anyone, but don't let those endorphins talk you into doing anything that will jeaopardize your race. Jewels, I thought of you this morning. 4.5 sloggy miles with a pet sit/dog walk in the middle, 82 degrees, 77% humidity. I was VERY disappointed to learn that sticky miles don't count double Confused! Can we recheck the rule book on that one? Thinking maybe a new olympic event, though...the dogathalon. Combo of running and walking dogs. Transitions include leashing unruly dogs and bagging poo. I think several of us could form a good relay team.
            Progress Trumps Pefection

Top 'O the World!

Good Morning Everybody! Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend - enjoying the Olympics & such! Our people are doing well! Good to see the host country getting some gold too! Wink Ahhh, Georgetown.....Oh Where to begin!? Undecided this didn't go as well as I'd hoped..... number of finishers: 2039 number of females: 1118 number of males: 921 average time: 2:07:30 bib number: 1895 age: 45 gender: F location: LITTLETON, CO overall place: 1895 out of 2039 division place: 93 out of 107 gender place: 1016 out of 1117 time: 2:46:52.1 pace: 12:44 guntime: 2:49:23.1 Garmin mostly agreed, but measured the course a little long - not that it mattered so much today Tongue As you know, the weekend "stay @ the mtn house for better altitude acclimation" got a little modified...even more foibles appeared as we went along.....Sarah, the teammate who was traveling w/me got a huge work project dumped on her about Tues...so even though Friday was a scheduled day off for her, Friday am, she'd text'd that she still had some work to do before she could go, so we backed off departure another 2+ hrs... we'd decided that we didn't necessarily need to go straight to the house, just get up in elevation as soon as possible - Thurs night would have been best...just not really possible...& I'm thinking to time out the logistics of the morning drive in, so taking a big swing around to go up the pass we'll need to traverse in the am (DS had informed me of some road construction that I may need to allow time for - I did!...) & since she's fairly new to CO, we thought that it would be good to do some sightseeing & meet up w/DS & GD in Breckenridge & wander, shop, do lunch etc, before hitting the house for an early turn in.... then the delay.... & then DS called while enrt advising another route modification - fatality accident has my main road closed....two alternate passes later - it just takes alot of time driving around up there...lunch around 3pm! (I had one beer Blush) a little wandering around Breck...Got an "Old Guys Rule" mug for Doug...Got to the house around 8:30pm! Immediately getting calls about heavy heavy rain/flooding in Denver!...had to make calls to have someone check Sarah's house - she left all her windows open! etc ...ended up being a very restless night, very little sleep!...Up & out by 4:30 am for the 90 min drive to Idaho Springs ( my foot is feeling pretty good at this point) Drats if we didn't get behind a slow driver on the pass!! Angry cost 10-15 mins!! So, we come skidding in @ 6:15 to pick up my packet which was supposed to be picked up btwn 5:15-6:15..& get to the buses! Just chaos!...looked like all 2,000 people waited till 6:15 to catch the buses!! & then wait in line for the port-a-potties... Roll eyes The start gun was almost 10 mins late...people getting fidgety w/the delayed start....They sorta had time line-ups - faster people up front, walkers in the back - except that there were several "packs" of people running together...We had I think 82 TNT people in purple..looked like about that many fuchsia colored Denver Marathoners running together, a couple other training groups were mentioned... Cool 64ish degrees, moderate humidity (patchy fog in lower areas) & crystal clear skies (direct sunlight!) @ the start...The route was a loop around in Georgetown (beautiful little Victorian mining town), then down the frontage road (along I-70) which stays along Clear Creek to Idaho Springs...mostly asphalt & some forest service type road....& mostly out in the open sunshine! gradual 1,000' elevation descent...much gentler than the 1st half (Slacker)... If you can tune out the interstate, it's a pretty scenic race along the river! With all that pent up energy @ the start - lots of folks started out pretty fast! Too fast for me! Dern it! ~ will I never learn!? I was starting to stabilize myself by about mile 2, when I landed hard on a big rock under the ball of my left foot (problem child) something kinda "crunched" No w/i a few feet, I took my first walk break....until the burning sensation abated...then pushed on...not real bad at this point - not that good either...couple more miles feeling rubbing on the inside base of the big toes- stopped to relace my shoes...tried another adjustment still further down....both feet hurt like crazy!! watched a coupla people stopping to remove their inserts...I thought about it, but didn't..wasn't sure if I took my shoes off that I'd be able to get them back on!....by mile 9 my mantra was "no whining! just keep moving! Just finish" managed an almost 50/50 run walk in...took in plenty of fluids, but didn't really pay attention to anything else....just get done & get these shoes off!!.... sorta noticed that everybody was crossing the road frequently as it wound around curves to stay in the shade more than working w/the curves....Had one man @ mile 12 ask me which foot I was limping on...I said "BOth!" he shared that he was having trouble as he'd not trained for this distance....he was just a little behind me @ the finish line...The post race activities were held in the center field of the MS athletic fields..ankle deep cool green grass Yes...I found out that I was only about 5 mins behind my starting group! but 21 mins slower than my Ft. Collins HM....& amazingly, once I took the shoes off, w/in 5-10 mins, I felt pretty good!~ like, if I could just get some different feet, I could run a few more miles!! Weird huh!? & then everybody that I talked to were talking about how hot it was??...that's when I noticed that I was sweat soaked clear through!! Confused I also noticed that my bib # was also my placement #!?? prophetic? I'll have to watch that next time!! I have a few pics that I haven't loaded yet....It really was a beautiful morning! Some of my team had an Excellent day!! Smile http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/mtnchk1/?action=view¤t=4fe1a870.pbw Sunday: I went along w/Doug & Mairead for a few easy miles on the trail - took out the inserts & still had irritation! ....We went out easy for 4.5 where Mairead & I broke off & did a little creek exploration while Doug went about another 8- 9 more, faster paced .....I'm going shopping for different shoes today!!!
              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                Nice pics Cindy.....and I always love your race reports. Sorry about the feet problems. That must have been horrible knowing you didn't really have much of a choice but to continue on. You have to have your feet to go anywhere. Hope new shoes help out! Very beautiful area and a huge crowd of runners! Congrats again.......Jewels
                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                  Great RR Cindy! Sounds like at least a 1/2 marathon just getting to the starting line. You did a superb job persevering, and what a beautiful setting! I wonder if some of the foot issues could be due to the downhill?
                  Progress Trumps Pefection

Top 'O the World!

Okay then.....went to a different running shoe store - took all of my shoes & sordid foot story, "De Agony of DeFeet!" Big grin w/me...took her seconds assess & escplain the problem (as she sees it....) my original prs of Saucony Rides are Neutral & have a very good 'neutral wear pattern'...& the Pearl Izumi's have just a little less support/structure than the Saucony's still workable for a race (but maybe not the Slacker type!)....both prs of my newer shoes (that were recommended by another running store) are Motion Control/Stability plus my inserts! which would force my foot into a different landing pattern....she was not at all surprised by my foot pain & blisters! Her solution: obvious! go back to what works!! Saucony's current version, Progrid Rides in a slightly larger size. & my arch isn't all that low (in her opinion) but that if I think it helps to wear the inserts, go right ahead...but says that maybe I ought to try w/o 1st & see if my feet don't get on better Roll eyes
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Ultrachick

Once you find a pair that work stay with them. I've lost count of how many pairs of Brooks Adrenaline I have gone through so far in road and trail shoes. On my third pair of Montrail Hardrocks. Makes shopping that much easier-"Brooks Adrenaline, size 8 please" and out the door I go-unless like last week when I had to get the last Brooks running skirt in purpleish with pink stripe-it was in my size! Big grin (I did well! I didn't get the Horny Toad shorts I was trying on before!) Kelly
                      If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                        Great report, Cindy. So sorry about the foot, but I like the salesperson's recommendation - go back to what you know works. Hopefully all will fall into place. Slept about 14 hours last night. Woke up a few times here and there, but other than that, we were all pretty much dead to the world. Am ready to hit the hay right now (7:40), as soon as we finished watching "Christine." Didn't realize what a stupid movie it really is. Wink

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Wow Cindy what a day and weekend, with all that happened you did great to finish. Hopefully your shoe issues are solved. Leslie sounds like crewing allowed u to put away some info for your next race! Kelly sounds like u know what you're doing with that hamstrng, hope it hangs in there for your big race. Carol, I don't think the corvette lust ever goes away, My dad told the chevy dealer when he was 86 he would buy one if Jim and Lynda would let him, like we ever had any control over that Big grin Big grin. I do wish he would have got to drive one while he could still enjoy it. I drove one belonging to some friends of ours from TX, while we had it out the sirens went off in town, think we gave them a scare thinking it was us. Good job on the runs, you're even crosstraining when u run with doggies duties. A shout out to Jewels and Joe hope you're having a great week. Hope Arla sticks her head in here, thought I saw a recent post from her in the 4m's. No run til wednesday for me.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Mornin'! **playing hookie from boot camp** have an odd sense of ..umm..disconnection? w/daily schedule/rhythm? Confused it's actually cool enough to do some outdoor stuff - for now! I'm gonna say that I think "sticky miles" at least have to count higher on the difficulty scale! & Ellie Mae's doggie treks are "intervals" ~ maybe even obstacle intervals! Wink Saw a car hauler full of corvettes on the freeway yesterday.....several bright red ones!! Big grin I read R2's posts & think, "I need to toughen up a bit!" Shocked Roll eyes ...did you say "sneak" up to Estes??!! I think you oughta solidly plan it in!! ....or maybe come a little further South....Oh, there is the HM up in Breck on the 31st: http://www.mavsports.com/?id=9 Wink Doug might be thinking about this one.....I'll already be somewhere around Vail finishing up w/the TransRockies peeps....hmmm & I know there's a bunch of the TNT folks doing the Park to Park 10 miler in downtown Denver on Sept 1st...supposed to be a big party at the end! I dunno...Doug is also looking @ the Boulder Backroads Sept 21st....cost more, more shwag....?? mta: okay, Doug just said that he's not decided btwn Breck & Park to Park....but he wants to do one of them I think
                              Mornin' Folks - Good to see everyone still out there gettin it done. Hot, sticky miles? It was sticky this a.m. here, but nothing - not even close - to what a few of you go through. Look at this way - maybe you're burning more calories. Wink Arla - You've been incommunicado for awhile. Where are ya, chicker-oo? Confused Did 1.5 hours of strength/core, then 1/2 an hour of stationary bike. Boy, did it feel good to get some exercise in after 5 days of none. Well, I've been gone from work for two days, so I have a butt-load to do. Later!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Kids- been busting butt to finish some projects up before taking a week off.No real plans for going away, probaly just bring the nephew home to NH and visit sisters for a while. Day trips to the beach and lotsa slow, unrushed running is on tap.That's the plan anyway,we'll see..... Way to go on the race Cindy! They're not all going to be great ya know.Pretty pictures and looks like a sweet place to run.Hope you find the right shoes and like Kelly says,stick with em. Jewels- do you get a little vacation from school now?Just a blink of an eye and the kids will be back in school.DS #2 goes into his senior year this year and we are lining up some colleges to go check out.Don't know who will pay for it but hey,we somehow did it twice before Roll eyes Kelly- thought I caught a glimpse of the bottom of your shoes last week (65m for me) but then disappeared!Sure do have your sights set high.WTG and keep it up! Jim-guess that Corvette thing never goes away.My Dad had two '66 split window Vettes back in about 1968 that he sure wishes he held onto.They were our 2 family cars at the time with about 7 1/2 kids in our family.I think that the back "dashboard" was where they put me. Unfortunately, both were replaced by Country Squire station wagons(remember them?) per Mom's wishes. Dead Carol- I'm with you on the "sticky" miles debate no matter what some people in cooler climes may think. Definately tougher but hey, it'll make us stronger,right? Please say right. Leslie- we're going to start calling you Rip Van Winkle soon.Good job with the volunteering and that sure sounds like a rugged race. Right up Kelly's alley, I would say.Hope it cools off for you. Mere hours to go and then I'm freeeeeeee..........