Masters Running

Turkey Trot Thursday (Read 302 times)

Maniac 505

Happy Thanksgiving to all. 

Cindy, Your DH works a 24 hour shift,  is he a fire fighter?

3 ez miles for me this morning,  now off to a friends.

Dave

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Cindy, Your DH works a 24 hour shift,  is he a fire fighter?

Yes. Due to retire soon. Big grin

Marathon Maniac #957

Then DH and I served Thanksgiving dinner at Lambeau Field. Every year they have an outreach dinner for people in the community who are down on their luck or have no one to be with on Thanksgiving. Say what you will about the Packers, I love that they offer up their stadium to do this every year. One of the diners came up to me to thank me for serving him dinner today. It made me cry. I have so much to be thankful for and too many times take this for granted.

I love this...

Ribs - smokin' race, but scary aftermath.  Might be worth a call to the nurse to ask about it, rather than waiting until your appointment next month.

You are right about our local TT - it's more of an event and a tradition than a race (although the first wave has some speedsters), and the costumes are great fun.

I am stuffed.  Tried a new recipe for broccoli salad that even DH loves.....Shocked

Time to start downloading photos...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Bushrat Runner

Good runs all, ribs that is a day both great and terrifying...

Made it 8 miles today...now need to get cleaned up and help get the house ready for the afternoon madness...

C-R

Happy Thanksgiving all and well done racers.

Had a nice race this morning and now settling is to watch some futbol. 

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

...7 1/2 hour car trip for a 1-hour meal........

went to see

98-year old uncle who is in the QuarantineUnit, had to ''GownUp''

the guy

is amazing,

formerly a Concert Pianist

who worked with ( but didn't like) Leonard Bernstein

told him

our Choir wa doing  a song he likes called ''Morgenstern'' and would Dedicate it to him (dec 9th is his BirthDay)

dad is up to 150 and actually getting fat.

2nd uncle is feeding 1st uncle's 20-cats///////.........deserves a Medal at least.

all in all,

I'm glad I made the trip

..................good running guys................Happy ThanksGiving

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Happy Thanksgiving to my RA friends.  There sure was a lot of "Turkey Trotting" today:  Holly and daughter, stumpy (fastest since last year), roch, jay, ribs (met pace goal), and C-R.  jlynne, neat that you've got another grandson on the way.  ribs, that light headedness sounds scary.  I agree with holly that you should see a doctor sooner than your next appointment.

Nice long runs for Tramps and rhoon.

We are in Ludington with quite a few family members (mother, all siblings, a brother in law, a sister in law, both kids and daughter in law, niece, and nephew).  Last week, my daughter asked if there was going to be a Turkey Trot here.  My sister, who lives here, checked around and found there was one.  It was advertised as very informal.  No entry fee, no timing, no recording of who was there or how they finished.  We had no idea of what to expect but decided to show up.  We got there about 10 minutes before the scheduled time and there were maybe 40-50 people wandering around, some obviously serious, some obviously not, a number of kids with parents, some on bikes, some in strollers, and a few people with dogs.  We didn't know anyone else there which is strange for me.  The race was on a nice paved trail through the woods that was quite nice.  As often as I've been in Ludington, I never knew this trail existed.  My GPS never got a signal so I will assume it was 5K as advertised.  My daughter tried to get a time with her iphone and said it took us about 32 minutes.  It was neat for the two of us to run together.  I don't think it qualifies as a race but rather a pleasant run.

For thanksgiving dinner,  everyone brought food and there was enough for several times as many people as we had.  The centerpiece was a turducken which was a new experience for everyone.  It was good but I don't know if any of us will make a special effort to do one again.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS 

evanflein

Nice racing everyone! Wow.... I'm always impressed at the range of races available to many of you. We had a "turkey trot" last Saturday, but that's too far away to get too excited about, IMO. It was really cold, too, so more power to those who did it.

Holly, that DD of yours never ceases to amaze and entertain. How cool that you guys ran it together, and she performed exactly as I thought she would. Well done! And to your comment about being more sore after Monkey than Equinox, well, it would figure since you ran Monkey almost an hour faster, right? I hope that hamstring is just talkin' and nothing serious.

Ribs, call your doctor's office. That sounds like more than just the timing of the dose, I think the dose might be a bit high. Nice race, BTW, but call your doc.

So nice to see Mary pop in yesterday (it was yesterday, right?). I hope things settle down and you can come back more regularly (although I'm hardly one to talk).

Well said, Gordon. Although I'm sure your slow is pretty fast for most of us.

Good for you, Troy. We had a nice day here, I think it got up to around zero (our thermometer said 5° but I'm not sure it's accurate), and we had no wind for a change. We usually don't get much wind, but the last couple of weeks have been pretty breezy. I considered going outside for a run today, but I had so much to do, and thinking about dragging out all those layers for a 5 miler just seemed so "not worth it." So... 5.4 miles on the treadmill with some random variable incline changes up to 5%. Amazing how after .2 miles at 5%, going back to 1% feels like downhill! Gotta find more ways to keep that TM from being too monotonous....

Just us for dinner tonight. DS1 is supposed to join us but we haven't heard from him in awhile. Mom and dad are staying at their place so they don't have to travel, my sister is going to join them as their guest at their retirement community dinner. Brother is spending a quiet day with his family, and we're staying home. This is the first time since we've been married that we've not gone somewhere for Thanksgiving. Kinda strange, but nice. And I get leftovers this way!!! Doing a turkey, homemade cranberry jam and pumpkin pie for the traditional stuff, then roasted butternut squash risotto, steamed broccoli and salad for the rest. It's my Thanksgiving and I get to pick the menu!! Smile

Henrun

Congrats to all the Turkey Trotters.

Ribs, been there,done that. I learned very quickly not to take my meds before a race or before a long run. Regardless it sounds like you need some fine tuning on those meds. It took awhile to get my BP pills right.

No race today. Marj and I did our traditional T'giving run on a beautiful morning across the Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan and back for 3.5 miles.

A wonderful feast followed in Brooklyn with Marj's DB, SIL and various nieces and nephews. We hit Manhattan tomorrow to watch all the crazy shoppers.

King of PhotoShop

Thanks all.  Many people told me to cut the pills in half until I am more used to them. Holly, that's a good idea to just call the nurse instead of waiting for the appointment.

I just missed the podium today.  check out the distance between four and five:

Male 65 to 69

Place Name City Age Chip Time

1 Bill Shaw Frisco 69 57:44

2 Ralph Phillips Plano 65 1:02:44

3 Dan Flowers Carrollton 65 1:04:26

4 Spareribs Lamothe Coppell 66 1:06:18  (8:17's)

5 David Cromer Dallas 65 1:06:23

I know all these guys of course. I talked to the guy at 5 right at the finish and we compared times as the race is chip timed and huge, and he said, "You beat me.'  Of course, of the 30,000 or so runners, most ran the 5k. Still, I am dying to see how many were in my age group, competitive as I am.

Just home from dinner at my son's.  What a wonderful day.  Spareribs

evanflein

Yep, nice day and wonderful dinner! I realize the difference between these dinners at home vs dinners at others' homes is more than the leftovers. I had 7 cups of cut up turkey meat, less than I expected after a 15 lb turkey and three people, even if one of those was a 20 year old man wanting lots of lean protein. But holy carp... 7 cups of leftover turkey (4 of that in the frreezer), and a huge pile of dirty pots and pans! Geez... we're used to throwing everything in the dishwasher so this was a change for us... Still, we had a great dinner, lots of leftovers, and time with DS1 which is hard to come by these days. 

Bushrat Runner

We had a wonderful huge houseful, two turkeys, games, guitars, piano, and a lot of desserts...

dallison

registered pw

I ran a full two weeks ago so i wasn't sure if i should have run the turkey trot yesterday but i did. It was cold, 28 degrees, but not as cold as others.

The prizes were baked goods from the local bakery so i was hoping to win based off of last years' results.

I started about 5 rows back from the front row of 2200 runners all crammed together.

At the last minute, a mom with three kids around 10 years old jumped in front of us.

What kind of parent does this and to their kids. She really put them at risk of getting trampled. Luckily they didn't. There was a lot of elbowing with everyone trying to get some space. My legs were still really heavy as i haven't done any speedwork at all.

First mile clicked off at 6:19 and we  passed mile two at 12:59. By mile 1 and 2, i really wasn't doing well. It was difficult to run. Once i saw the mile two marker i passed the couple of other runners that passed me and i made sure they stayed behind me.

I finished in 20:03 just behind a kid who is in the 7th grade. I find out that he lives in my development and he recognized me.

I had some cider, soup and pie, made a few phone calls while the results were posted. I finished 35th out of 2200, but 10th in my age group, so no pie.

bah.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half