Masters Running

Gobbler Grind - A Great Time (Read 204 times)

TomD

This was the 10th year in a row, that I have run this one. It was around 40 at the start and 50 at the finish. Some wind at the start, but not to bad later on. For me it was pretty good running weather. I wore my normal singlet and short running shorts. Out of 2000+ runners I was the only one not over dressed. The course for the first three miles is running back and forth until the 5k runners are gone. Then it is on streets until around mile 9 or so. It is then on bike trails the rest of the way. There is not a lot of hills after you are on the bike trails. My goal is to run 9 minute miles the first half then gradually slow down to 10 minute miles after that. I hope to better 4:20 and finish strong. The latter is more probable. It was difficult to see the early mile markers. I am a little sluggish in the first few miles. Finally I get a good pace that is comfortable. After 6 miles, 53:55, I am doing pretty good. Mile 7, 1:03:03, still doing well. By Mile 10, 1:33, I have slowed some, but I have had a tough final 10 days of training with my injury at work. Mile 11, 1:43, I fall pretty hard on a wooden bridge. I scrape and cut up my right knee and left elbow. The pain is much worst with my elbow, but leg is the one to give me trouble after the marathon. For now the pain and discomfort is out of my mind. My focus is back on the run. Luckily, neither one did bleed much. Mile 12, 1:53, at least I am running steady. I feel fine and I am having fun. I will have a better feel after the next few miles or so. Half, 2:04:55, a little faster. I have been running with another runner, Casey, the pass two miles. He knows a couple of trail running friends of mine. We are running pretty good together. We turnaround near mile 15 and the miles are just blending together. Near Mile 16 Casey stops at a port-a-putty. There have not been many runners in sight, since the half marathoners turned off about 7 miles ago. Now that I am running by myself and I seem to feel stronger each mile, I start keying in on the runner in front of me and slowly catch up. I pass a few runners in the next couple of miles. Nearing Mile 18 is the half going the other direction. Here I see my buddy, Jim Simpson. We stop and talk for a minute or so. He ran a 50k the day before in Huntsville, AL, then drove nearly 12 hours to Overland Park, KS, to run this marathon. He did not get here until 2:00am. Yesterday he completed all 50 states for the 8th time. Losing a couple of minutes do not seem like much today, since this one is more for fun than time. I just go back to gaining on the next runner. Mile 18, 2:56, the next runner is over 200 yards ahead of me. She is going at a good pace, so I actually pass other runners while following her. Mile 19, 3:05, nice pace. I feel great. Here I am sure that I can run the rest of the way in. All I need to do is keep this pace. Mile 20, 3:14, I am still going strong, but I decide to slow a little. My plan is stay around 10 minute miles for the next 3 or 4 miles, then pick it up to the finish. After all this is more for fun anyway. I am having a great time passing other runners and not being passed by anyone else. I feel strong. This mile we run up a long steep hill, then the turnaround to Mile 21 we are running into a stiff wind. The final 4+ miles the wind is not a factor. Mile 22, 3:35, I am going at good steady and comfortable pace. I pass a couple more runners. Mile 23, 3:46, I am feeling pretty good so I start going a little faster. Mile 24, 3:55, passed a few more runners. I am feeling so good. It is times like this that makes all the training worthwhile. I am running strong and passing other runners like clockwork. Mile 25, 4:05, I can see that 4:17 is in my reach. I am going a little faster until Mile 26 where I go as fast I can safely go. I finish with 4:16:24. I have several friends of mine at the finish waiting for me. There are some others who want to meet me and I get a lot of questions. One runner told me that I am crazy, but I have heard that a lot. One gal was really interested in my diet, training schedule, running schedule, my doubles, how my joints were, and my heart rate. She worked for a group of surgeons. This is a fast marathon course in Kansas, but I like Olathe better. Olathe has more hills in the second third, which helps me to get better times. Gobbler Grind is good for a first time marathoner and someone who is looking for flat. Next is "Dude, Where is the Trail." This is a 50k about a 40 minute drive for me in Missouri. It is a trail run with very few markings. You get a map and a description of the course. It is recommended that you bring a compass. You also should run with another runner. It really helps for one to read the map and the other the description of the course. Everyone gets lost some. TomD
    wildchild

Carolyn

Tom, you continue to amaze me with your strong running on your second run of a double. And congrats to your friend Jim on completing the 50 states 8 times! Planning a double with races in Alabama and Kansas makes no sense to me - don't you normally pick two closer races? Anyway, congrats and thanks for the RR!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Good job, Tom. A fast youngster (38) from our running group ran this one and did us proud. I hope the injuries heal quickly.
        TomD

Wildchild, Jim has driven 14+ hours before for an marathon the next day. He has been retired for nearly 11 years and has traveled throughout the United States since then. I try to keep mine within 500 miles. He hopes to complete all 50 states by the end of 2009 and really retire. His home is Huntington Beach, CA. Donna and I did surprise him by running back to the final mile and pacing him in at Gobbler Grind to the finish. TomD
          Tramps

Tom, Tom, Tom. Ya gotta stop falling down at this things. Ouch! I worry about you. Wink Seriously, you just keep cranking these out and running right through what sounds like some significant injuries. I'm not sure if it's impressive or just a little crazy. Take care of yourself!

Be safe. Be kind.

Wow, another double for TomD. It sounds like the course suits you, the conditions were the way you like them, you got to see friends (including the amazing Jim), and your time was great. I hope there are no lingering effects from your fall. Congrats on a job well done. TomS
              coastwalker

Hi Tom, Congratulations on a dynamic double; on great pacing; on having fun with friends and by passing other runners; and on getting up again and getting back on pace after you fell on the bridge; and on beating your goal time yet again. What an adventure! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Here I see my buddy, Jim Simpson. We stop and talk for a minute or so. He ran a 50k the day before in Huntsville, AL, then drove nearly 12 hours to Overland Park, KS, to run this marathon. He did not get here until 2:00am. Yesterday he completed all 50 states for the 8th time.
                  Wow! Another great race for you, Tom, and congratulations on reaching and exceeding your time goal on this one.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."