Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 7.10.14 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Nice dog bite-free run, Dave. That's one of the reasons I never hit the roads with anything other than my own music playing in my head.

How was the game last night, Stumpy? Don't forget Sophie's biscuits if you head out this morning!

I hope the surgery went well yesterday, Ribs, and that it was a quiet, restful night at the Rib Cage.

Mariposai, I beg to differ, but 102F is NOT perfect weather, unless you're planning on cooking on the sidewalk...

Nice group run yesterday, Fletch. Exhausting/exhilarating is a good combination.

Have fun on the left coast, Marj & Henrun!

Funny FB stuff, Mustang Sally! How was last night's mountain ride?

Congrats on becoming a board member, Tammy! Now the real fun begins! I also spend more time on FB for our non-profits/races, etc. than for personal stuff.

Enke, I also have become adept at ignoring the FB ads, but it is annoying that there are more and more of them. I'm positive that your time at the lake yesterday was better than the boss's root canal!

Excellent goose-free hiking, TW! I hope you can make that a regular part of your routine.

Nice workout in lieu of yelling and cleaning up, Holly.

Hi Mike. 'Night Mike.

I'm sorry you're having such a tough vacation, Deeze.

Nice bike ride, Starr. But sad news about the woman killed on her bike last week. Too many drivers think they can multi-task on the road, but too often they (or someone else) find out the hard way that they can't. Very sad. Sorry - no techno-geek here.

Good "warning" about barefoot beach running, Tet. I also don't understand why "On your left" is so hard to understand, but it appears to be. There is often not enough time to give them Evanflein's warning: No, your other left!

Nice workout, Evanflein, even with the "slippage." 30-35% humidity sure is dry air!

Yes, Steve, with a cape (especially on Tag) you'll always get questions.

I was out the door at JJ:05 this morning in muggy (due to lhe overnight brief rain)  65F temps. It was about 10 degrees cooler than yesterday, so I was happy with that. I Rw'd 6.4 miles, doing mile fartleks just to get used to working semi-hard in muggy weather. I did OK but, for some reason, was a bit sweaty when I returned...

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

6.2 sunny miles this morning - not as early as I should have but they are done and now time to get ready .... my prayer group is taking a field trip up here for the day to go to The Little House of Prayer in Biddedford!!

LOL at tet!!

Enjoy the day my friends!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Enjoy Deez!

I got the Jay memo and did 6.4 miles this morning, too, although I did not do them at JJ:05....

Gotta run, but I will check back later....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Ooh Ooh!  Jay, over here!  Lemme answer for Stumpy (Kevin)!

It was wonderful  .

And henrun, I hope to good golly goodness you packed that hat!

We are going to have a super summer watching our youngsters grow into a spectacular team.

Yes, they will make mistakes and we'll lose some, but my o my, how much fun when they put it all together.

Thanks for letting me get that out.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning, y'all!

Court day yesterday, so I didn't get to post, but I was thinking of you early.

We too had a beautiful sunrise Wednesday am, and the word "suffused" planted itself in my brain.

That's because we had some of those gorgeous puffy white clouds in the western sky so that when the orange and pink dawn broke, those clouds reflected the colors in way that made you think they were suffused with the early morning light.   And I got to appreciate it all the more as I had chosen the Lakes Park route yesterday.

I like the way you think, enke.  Hope it was a fun day.

Still thinking about your dog encounter, Holly.  Yuk.  Thanks for the runners post (Remy).  Are your friends and neighbors caught up in the LeBron speculation?  I heard there's been an uptick in people buying season Cavs tickets, banking on the move.  Wow, if he goes, Cleveland gets Manzel, James and the Republicans.  Can you believe it?

Be sure to give us the medical update, Ribs.

You know, I was given a free cape by the Barefoot Wine folks at the Florida Keys 100.  Now that I know what to say, thanks to Steve, I think I'll try it out at a running club event .

MIssed out on speed work Tuesday night due to rains, and I'm blaming the sunrise for my pace Wednesday am.  Got in 5 at the Fun RUn last night, first 2 warm ups then two 7-somethings and a 6:53 for the finale.  Nine this am at 8:45 pace, which includes a slow start (9:35 first mile).

Fletch

Sorry, Stumpy, but with it being 75 degrees, with 85% humidity here this morning at 6:30, I can't think of any better way to describe my run than by stealing your line...

4 drippy shorts miles for me this morning!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Sorry, Stumpy, but with it being 75 degrees, with 85% humidity here this morning at 6:30, I can't think of any better way to describe my run than by stealing your line...

4 drippy shorts miles for me this morning!

Only fair--since I stole it from Amy.

Speaking of Amy--Yes it was indeed.  I counted 6 of the 9 field players were rookies, including the first ML game for the catcher (who acquitted himself admirably.  )  First time I've been to a game that ended up with a walk off win--the noise was pretty incredible.

oh yeah, running.  I didn't this morning.  And the extra hour of sleep was pretty nice.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

No run today.  We are going to put new tile in our entrance way and down a hallway.  I was telling a friend at church that I was hoping to find someone to rip up the old stuff while I was out of town for work and he said he would do it.  Trouble is, I asked him if he wanted to come by and scope out the work and he showed up last night ready to get started.    So now I am involved in something I have spent my life trying to to avoid -> home improvement projects.

I am going to take most the day off and help rip up the old stuff.

I could use the break from programming anyway.

King of PhotoShop

Aamos, I think LeBron will go back to Miami, but Cleveland did a sharp tactical thing by trading players to make  cap room for him.  Kind of puts some pressure on don't you think?

Big day for us.  Surgery went well and he now has a big brace and a drain in the knee, which I will empty today.  He slept well last night, downstairs in our bed so he wouldn't have to climb upstairs. We slept up there in the guest bedroom. Today we'll just keep our eye on him. My wife bought one of those things you put over a cast so you can shower and keep it dry.  Twocat and I predicted how this will go.  We will have him here for a while.

Warm this morning, about 80 degrees and my wife did her longest run so far, 7.1 miles, with me.  We're going to the Rangers game tonight.  They are now officially the worst team in MLB.   Spareribs

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Morning, Jay,

Morning, all.

Last night's mountain adventure was good and bad.  It was good because I absolutely smashed my old PRs on it.  Could barely break 8:00 in the spring, cut it down to 7:45 a few weeks ago and romped up it (twice!) in 7:27 last night.  Was feeling so pleased with myself until, on the way down, I flushed a little grey bird who tried to fly away through my front wheel.  The one with the aero bladed spokes.  I diced the poor wee thing.  I got hit with a second wave of Sad when I had to clean feathers and stuff off my wheel and down tube later.

Busy day today, so I got a :45 base run in on the waterfront and am heading into wall-to-wall meetings until I leave for the airport to - pick up Mustang Momz!!!

<is so excited>

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks Deez for reminding me how much I love running.

4.0 miles in the morning sun with cobwebs tickling my feet

along the way. Neat.

ps deez - my avatar with Mt. Fuji backdrop is the six mile

beach part of the Shonan Marathon course. Maybe mikemp'll

get to do it too during his extended sojourn over there.

Mt

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

Good news from Texas, any bets on how long you'll have your "guest,"   Ribs?    (I'm betting on Cleveland, but then, I'm from Detroit so I have a spot for big, grimy midwestern cities, doncha know?)   Hang in there with your team, now.  They need you when the going is rough.

Bet you had a late night,  Kevin....I know I did, and I was just listening on the radio at home!

Been meaning to ask, tet, do you know anything about this book or these fellows?   The Marathon Monks of Mount Hieiby  by John Stevens...they're Tendai Buddist, and run incredible distances, or so claims the book jacket blurbs.

....I just finished a novel, Race Across the Sky by Derrick Sherman, that was interesting, combining running and "orphan diseases" (i.e., rare disorders, hence "orphan," as drug companies aren't real motivated to develop treatments since the demand is low.  My brother had diabetes insipidus, nothing to do with the pancreas, but rather, the pituitary gland, so orphan diseases and the politics of the drug companies are up one of my alleys.)

Break is over, nice to visit again!

The beach was fun.  The water was warm.  The kids had a greta time.  It was a good use of a day.

5 miles in the am, cooler this morning, about 58 F so that sure felt nice.  I found a tennis ball on my route, and bounced it occasionally for the rest of the way, then gave it to Remi when I got home.

The I-90 into Seattle is going down to one lane starting next Friday, day and night, for a whole week.  As it turns out, I was planning on taking that whole week off anyway!!!  I want this lucky streak to continue......

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Spareribs I am happy to hear your DS has decided to recover at your place.

I ran 7 yesterday.  Zombies and all.  I also updated the Zombies Run! app to season 3.  I have to replay part of the dialog since the highway noise made a mess of it.  Today was just an elliptical day.  Tomorrow it will likely be another 7.  Next week up to 8!  Just 14 more miles for my week's long run and I will be ready for my next marathon!  Wahoo!    That is a long way to go.  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Thanks Deez for reminding me how much I love running.

4.0 miles in the morning sun with cobwebs tickling my feet

along the way. Neat.

ps deez - my avatar with Mt. Fuji backdrop is the six mile

beach part of the Shonan Marathon course. Maybe mikemp'll

get to do it too during his extended sojourn over there.

Mt

That looks beautiful Tet!!  Wish I was taking pictures this vacation, but the camera on my phone isnt working and I have no idea where my regular camera is at this point - it's been a few years since I've used it

I could get used to this vacation living let me tell ya!!

denise