Masters Running

Wednesday May 20 Runs, workouts, rest, and fun (Read 434 times)

Good Morning! Early morning easy run with the ghosts of the Civil War. I am in Gettysburg, PA and staying close to the Gettysburg College campus. The battlefield is just steps from my hotel and on this cool morning with the mist rising and the stillness of the morn, I swear I heard footsteps and cannon blasts. Anyway---ran 4 miles at 9:15 pace at 6 am, 45º---Grant and Lee keeping pace. My flight yesterday followed the Hudson River (I was flying to BWI and then drove the rest of the way) What a spectacular view of the Hudson River, the Statue of Liberty, and more. I usually read or sleep and rarely look out the window anymore. I am glad I looked. Go Bill Go! Have a great day
      Morning CNY and other boomers Rest day today, 4 days to go!!! Massage planned to deal will all the pings and pangs going on in my body, Seems I fix a pain only to transfer higher or lower on my body..Hopefully Sharon my masseuse has better luck with that. Have a great day everyone. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning to you, too. No run this morning, but just wanted to say how much I liked going to Gettysburg, too. I'm not much of a Civil War buff, but it certainly has a special feel to it. There are a lot of spirits in the air and a sense of quiet awe. I'm sure I'm not doing it justice, but sure hope to go back again. and on a lighter (emotionally, anyway) note, for anyone of a certain weight in central Mass.--The Big Man Run. http://www.baevents.com/bigmanrun/information.html It involves a 4 mile run with 3 stops for a beer and a dog. By the time it rolls around (July 13) I hope to not qualify, so thought I'd pass this along.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Morning, gang! Karin - thanks for the fine kickoff - your description makes me wish I was there. Another "must see" place to add to my list. Denise - best of luck with your sprint tri!! Stumpy - Big Man Run, huh? I'd like to watch that one.... Rest day for me as well, and work is going to keep me from my noon core and weight workout. I'll just be a slug today. Good runs everybody!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

CNYrunner nice historic run this morning. No run for me yet, the plan is to sneak out at lunchtime. I did bike commute today. Now that recruiting and classes are done at the college my goal is to ride, run, or walk to school from now until the end of the year.

Renee the dog

3 miles by myself on the boardwalk at a civilized hour of 8 a.m. (weather cooperated). Simply beautiful out there. Tall, enjoy your massage (though if you massage therapist is anything like mine, the best part is once she's past the sports part and onto the healing vibes towards the end). Stumpy, I'm afraid to click on your link... Shy

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Slo

CNYrunner nice historic run this morning. No run for me yet, the plan is to sneak out at lunchtime. I did bike commute today. Now that recruiting and classes are done at the college my goal is to ride, run, or walk to school from now until the end of the year.
                Very Cool ! I'm a regular bike commuter. It's not even a question in my head if I'll ride to work. My commute is very short.....7.7 miles round trip. All little over 15 mins each way. Managed to get out for a 24 mile bike ride last night. A 3.8 mile run this morning followed up with a total of 1750 yds in the pool. Opened with an easy 500 yds then did some drills followed by 100yd repeats. Hoping to sneak in another run tonight. My oldest DD has her last senior banquet. This one is for the Choir. The dinner is being served by the Junior's Culinary Arts Class, Music provided by the Symphonic Honor Band and then the Final High School Chior concert with senior awards. It'll be a long night but worth it. DW and I are looking forward to what we hear is a wonderful dinner ! CNY.....I run thru a cemetery regulary. I about hopped out of my skin on early pre-dawn morning when this guy just suddenly stood up from behind a head stone. He was placing flowers on a grave.....I hadn't noticed him there. Shocked

Marathon Maniac #957

Karin – that sounds lovely! Tall – I went through phantom taper pains before my last marathon. Seems like I had pains in all sorts of strange places. Hope yours disappear come race day, as mine did. Stumpy/Kevin - very funny! Eating 3 hot dogs and drinking 3 beers during a race could be a recipe for disaster.... 7.05 rather sproinky miles for me today (ave pace 9:28). This is closer to a GA pace for me on what should have been a recovery run, but I just went with the flow. On these regular runs I just run by feel, never looking at my Garmin (other than to see what time it is) until I get home and download. Today was 56°, and the mist was rising from river as I ran along the bikepath. I stopped to walk and let a flock of geese cross in front of me, herding their 20-30 fuzzy goslings with them. Very cute. Smile I dropped off Daisy to the vet this morning to get spayed. Poor little thing. Although she and Dexter are siblings, he is literally twice the size of her, so she still seems very much the small puppy, and at 7 months (being a small breed) she’s not likely to grow much more, if any. She and Dexter remind me a lot of my kids, with Daisy being the spitfire, always harassing and riling up the more placid Dexter. Tongue Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Some very nice runs and rides to work today. 8.6 mile hilly route for me on a wonderfully cool (46F) morning. We won't get many like this for quite a while. A quick NYC trip for work today but a crazy-full schedule will preclude any Central Park run tomorrow. Sad

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

I ran the Bedford, NH 12k last week -- official time 1;08:18 --felt great the whole time -- beautiful day, beautiful course but two big ooopses --- water along the course was supplied by a hose (gross) and no water at the finish until you left the track and trecked all the way up to the cafeteria at the middle school which was the start and finish. Also have my 1st Sprint tri this weekend -- pool swim 250 yards, then out for a 10 mile bike, 3 mile run -- i have a friend in my running group who has been helping me out - - today we did an hour on the bike then i did a 3 mile run -- feeling good but getting a little anxious!!
                      Look who has been busy with work and racing! Way to go deez4boys. SmileSmileSmile Do you wear shorts at 46f tramps. BlushGreat run there! I dream of running NYC Marathon someday. I sent my registration again this year, so I guess if don't get in this year, I for sure will get in next year. holly, how is the pelvic floor feeling this morning? I hope the little pain is gone today. enkie, did you enjoy your deluge yesterday? great yoga nonoruns, what is slidebording? hi slo-hand carolyn, are you snow free now? come to Seattle to visit us. You can stay with me at the house we are renting, OK? it will be so much fun. twocat, enjoy your trip in the wild west. PDR and WRFB, great wedding pictures! I so enjoyed looking at them. 4 ezpz recovery miles for me. Great day around here. It is too bad that I have to sit at my desk all day today. Aamos, how is your friend doing?Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

Do you wear shorts at 46f tramps.
                        Are you kidding? 30F is the shorts threshold.

Be safe. Be kind.

I'm doing a little catching up since I was too busy to post yesterday. slopez, the bear in your neighborhood sounds a bit scary. fatozzig, sending you more healing vibes for your ankle. deez, nice 12K race and good luck on the tri. CNY, a run at Gettysburg sounds neat. I was there a couple of times before I started running. If I could go back now, I think I'd like to run there, but not up Little Round Top. Nice long run for srlopez. Good job on the speedwork for breger and Tall. Yesterday, it was about 50° with a little wind. I got in 5 miles in about 48:40 for a 9:43 pace. This morning, it was in the mid 50s and almost calm. I did another 5 in about 47:30 for a 9:29 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

holly, how is the pelvic floor feeling this morning?
                            Now THAT'S not a question one gets asked often..... Big grin In answer, though, the pain is gone again, and I'm ready to tackle the track tomorrow.... Smile Deez4boyz - way to go!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Are you kidding? 30F is the shorts threshold.
                              30f Shocked Surprised. It was 46 this morning and I was freezing in my new blue race ready shorts... Black eye what do you wear for top in 30f and short? Holly, sorry, I guess that the word we normally use in my work world. Tight lipped. Great news tough. cranium inspired 2 miles bike to work this morning. Cool

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

I remember going to Gettysburg with my family when I lived in PA. My favorite park, though, is Valley Forge, which also has ghosts. Valley Forge was close enough to bike to and we went there a lot. Stumpy, do they have tofu hot dogs for the vegetarian big men? Big grin What about O'Douls for the non-drinkers? Tongue Slo and Craneium, you're lucky to live within bike commuting distance from work! And it's also good that you have the motivation to bike there - I bet there are lots of folks who drive even if they're just going down the street. Woof to Daisy - hope she does OK with her surgery. Remember this cartoon? Wink Mari, yes we're finally snow-free! Thanks for asking! It's been in the 70's for the past two days at home, and the aspen leaves are all coming out at once. On Sunday there were just a few leaves starting to open, and today all the trees have that bright green haze of early leaves. This morning as I was driving up my dirt road, I saw an elk and two mule deer, and thought of Tramps' photo with the "adopted" turkey. But I stopped and watched them, and then saw a total of 4 deer and 3 elk, so it was really two separate groups crossing the road, not an adopted elk at all. I had a fun 4 mile trail run on the way home last night, in delightfully cool mid-50's temps with the last sprinkles of rain from a shower that had just passed through. Two miles uphill then two miles back downhill - check out these splits: 12:40, 15:30, 11:01, 8:47! That second mile uphill was mostly walking, as it was steep, and coming back down that part wasn't too speedy either because of all the rocks and roots and steepness, but boy that last mile was fun! Gentle downhill on a dirt trail through a meadow - I was flying! Trail runs are soooo good for the soul! Smile

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.