Masters Running

Thursday, 8.13.15 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' kids.

Nice runs by Mariposai, Leslie (after work?), Ribs (in the 'cold' front), Holly (fartleky), Aamos (to reach 2K for the year), Mike (with Eric on the bike), and Evanflein (a rain-beater). Good for Tet and TwoCat for tapering for TomW. Busy life, and a good bike ride, Starr! Nice find, Marj. How was dinner with BE and his DD, Enke?

Happy Birthday, Stumpy!!!

I got word from our town attorney that I'm being asked if I would appear as a 'friendly' witness at a hearing to appeal a decision on a state wetlands application. I may not have the same position on this as the applicant, so this could be interesting.

I woke up a little early this morning, so I headed out a little early and went 7.3 RW miles in 64F temps, dry air, and under clear skies (IWC). I saw a couple of streaks from the Perseid Meteor Shower before the sky started to lighten up - nice.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings, all.  Thank you all kindly for all the BD wishes here and on FB.  I feel so priveledged to get a Kolorado "K" and a trio video from MI.   Oh yeah, and a cake from dg!

And i celebrated "Taper for Tom" very strenuously this week.  (doesn't everyone take off three days to taper for a 5K?)  Early flights and early mornings at a plant that's over a half hour from the hotel assisted in my efforts.  So my first 5K as a 60YO.  Boy, when I was growing up, 60 seemed SO old.  Perspective sure does change.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

Tough bunch to keep up with!

We got DS relocated to Columbia MO where he'll start his career. Nice town, I think it will suit him well and we will enjoy visiting. There is a wooded running trail just a few blocks from his condo and it also leads to a mountain bike course. 5 hour drive...long enough to make it an extended weekend. Hard to believe that 4 years of colloge went by so quickly.

6+ easy mile this am. Cloudy...no meteors to be seen.

Dave59

The last Starbucks Trail run this morning.  I busted my a$$ to keep up with the guys.  4.72 miles at 10k race pace (except for a break to visit the woods).  Great group today: 8 guys and 4 gals.

I gave a gift certificate from the local running store to the guy who "organizes" all these runs.  He was probably in the top 5 of people who had a positive influence on me during my 14 year stay in Michigan.  He owned a gym for years and is involved in seemingly everything around here.  I bought it over a week ago but then it seemed so dorky giving a guy a gift and I kept procrastinating on giving it to him.  But I couldn't return it so what else could I do?  (I guess I could have used it myself for a new pair of shoes.) :roll:

In all the time I have been running the trails on Thursday mornings I hadn't tripped and fell until last week when I took a tumble.  Then this week I did it again and I am 98% sure it was the exact root.  If not, it was within a few steps of the same one.  The only difference is that I fell on the way back the first time and on way out this time. 

Too cloudy to see the meteor shower this morning.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - "friendly" eh?

Kevin - jeesh, I thought you were about 45!

Slo - 5 hours away, that seems like so far....I'm already missing my own DS and he hasn't left yet.  I'm not going to be a good empty-nester.

Dave - you are such a sweet curmudgeon.....

6.35 miles for me this morning in 58 degrees.  I saw one falling star.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Jay, here is what you do.  On your way into the courtroom, go over to the bailiff and the court stenographer, introduce yourself, shake hands and ask if there is anything you can get for them.  Same with the judge when he comes in.  Nod and smile to all the jurors and go over to the other litigants and wish them a nice day.  I guarantee you will be the friendliest witness ever to appear in that courtroom.

Maybe I'm the only one not writing a lot of "good luck TW" posts, and that is simply because I am so convinced this is going to go so well for him, and it will be the relief he has needed for so long.  Once he recovers from the surgery we are going to see a new tomwhite and I am very excited for him. When I think of all these years he has toughed it out with a lot of pain, this is a great time for him.

Well, a couple of 11's for Mike and EK; good for you.  Today I did 3.3 slow recovery jog/walk in beautiful weather, 77 at the start.  The Saint di 5.7 and told me later she could have run more easily.  It will get hot again later but this morning was perfect.   Spareribs

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey there, masters!

Too cloudy to see meteors here, too.  Hope it'll be clear tonight!

Stumpy, when I made you that "Kolorado K",  I couldn't decide if I should make you a K for Kevin or an S for Stumpy, so I made a K on a stump!  It was hard to balance the sticks - they kept falling over before I could get a picture!

8 sproinky miles yesterday, on dirt roads around the 'hood.  Heading out for a trail run soon - I sure do love working part time! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dave - you are such a sweet curmudgeon.....

Very nice.

ps - do you still have my address?

All the good Taper-for-Tom intentions in the world were no match for the scintillatin' siren call of the morning sun still doin’ a great job in stavin’ off the impending equinox next month.
                  4.5 Run-for-Tom miles.
                  ps jay - ask ‘im how friendly it’ll be when the other lawyer starts asking questions about everything in your life.  However, the clerk and court reporter really will appreciate it if you do take the time to go up and give them your business card for spelling, etc.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

Stopping by to say hi before boarding.  Enjoyed a leisurely 10k this am.  Cool dig, marj!

Happy weekending all!

grins

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Carolyn - kook K!

Tet - if only you lived closer...

Anyone see the news item about the "shade balls" used in California at the water reservoirs?  I thought that was pretty cool.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/millions-of-shade-balls-to-prevent-evaporation-in-calif-reservoirs-150813.htm

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hey there, masters!

Too cloudy to see meteors here, too.  Hope it'll be clear tonight!

Stumpy, when I made you that "Kolorado K",  I couldn't decide if I should make you a K for Kevin or an S for Stumpy, so I made a K on a stump!  It was hard to balance the sticks - they kept falling over before I could get a picture!

8 sproinky miles yesterday, on dirt roads around the 'hood.  Heading out for a trail run soon - I sure do love working part time! 

I have a good grasp of the obvious, so I caught the K.  The Stump part went right over my head.  Must be getting old.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

I missed the meaning of the K on the stump, too.  Which makes me wonder what the meaning of my "MIKE" in the middle of a dirt road with a dog licking her chops might be....

wildchild clear winner of the incredibly clever pictograph award!

I got myself back on the road today for 14 miles.  I think the few days rest helped but I will really know if it did tomorrow and Saturday during this week's wacky distance race.  Tonight I head to NYC to have dinner with my DW, her BFF and BFF's DH.  It is their joint birthday celebration dinner.  They were born a day apart and arrange something like this each year.  Just for the record today is neither of their birthdays!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Stumpy!!!

Yeah, I got the stump reference!  Boy, I had no idea you were entering into a new decade!!  Wow, I thought 55.

I did 4.4 miles.  Must have been humid as by 2.5 miles, I had a steady drip drip drip of sweat falling off my brows and nose at the same time.  The people I passed walking on the sidewalk were impressed, I'm sure.  Legs feel good.  Cardio feels even better.

Dinner with BE and his DD went well, although I admit, it was a bit awkward at first.  Prior, he kept asking me if I was nervous to meet her, and I kept saying no.  He was more nervous than me or her.  She is very beautiful and mature (only child) and serious.  I guess I passed the test as she texted him that I was "nice and funny".  His DD is 26 and beginning her last year of law school.  BE is only 11 months older than me; the youngest man I have ever been seriously involved with.  Smile  So he is 52 and I am 51 and for 3 weeks between the end of January and beginning of February, we will be the same age.  He can appear older at times with being so skinny and bald.  But with that body...that flat stomach and rock hard cycling legs in those faded Levi's....swoon.....he has a teenager's body!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Dave59

But with that body...that flat stomach and rock hard cycling legs in those faded Levi's....swoon.....he has a teenager's body!

You should have reinforced the "tall" part for MikeE's benefit.