Masters Running

Wednesday, June 11th Daily (Read 461 times)

Good morning friends! The weather yesterday was not cooperative for getting in a run. Between the heat of the day where they told people to stay inside and the thunderstorms that kept cycling in the area, I only got in a little less than 2 miles. Oh well, better running days are coming. I am the baby in my family which means that both my parents and two sisters have already died. It is now down to my older brother (by 6 years) and me being the last survivors. He is one incredible man as a minister, educator, coach and humanitarian. He always has chosen to help the weak, poor and unfortunate rather than going for the places where more money would have been offered. Even in my life, when I went through a divorce several years ago, the first person to be on my doorstep to encourage me, was my brother. Yesterday he completed an MRI where they confirmed that he has had stroke activity sometime recently. They also did a colonoscopy where they found a tumor. At this time they do not believe it is cancerous, but easily could go that way unless it is soon removed. This only adds to his already long list of problems. As he said to me last night on the phone...."Right now it is overwhelming and I don't know what to think". The doctors are letting him make the decision of what to go for first....take out the tumor or go to fix the heart and blockages. I have cried a lot in the last 11 hours since I got this latest word. There is no panic in his voice and our conversations are good and solid. However, this all suddenly hit me last night. It caused me to sit down and write to him. He is a softie and I don't want to put stress on his already weakened heart but I also want to share my heart and try to be what he needs at this stage. He did ask yesterday for my help with any thoughts that I might have I have written him a letter. If you care to look at it, I have made a seperate post just for that. It is a tear jerker so be warned. I am not sure just how to say all of this to him, but I know I must. If you want to look at it, please do. I didn't want to clog the daily with it but I also wanted to make it available to those who wanted to see the approach I feel needs to be taken at this stage. It is titled..."A letter to my brother". Thanks for your prayers and well wishes. I enjoyed seeing that these situations are helping each of us to evaluate what we need to do when our day or the day of one of our loved ones, comes. We all do go through this in life. Have a great day. I trust your runs go well and that your injuries are getting better. Thanks for listening. Joey
    Vista

Marathon Maniac #3309

Morning Smile Joey, I am not very good with words in situations like this, but you are a great brother and your encouragement and positive attitude is bound to make a huge difference. I will continue to keep you and your brother in my thoughts and Prayers. Hopefully, the Colon can be taken care of soon as that is a dangerous condition...I had a 28 year old nephew that passed away with Colon cancer, my oldest brothers only son. Hang in there Joey, and just keep being "you", which we have all learned that you are a caring and wonderful human being. 6.3 mile run for me late last night...legs felt like lead for a mile or two, but then felt pretty good running at an easy pace. Have a great Hump Day all Smile Think running can be dangerous out on the road....check this out about cycling http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,362147,00.html Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Vista-I lurk on this forum but felt the need to express my concerns for you. I enjoy your posts every day and am sorry that you are going through what you are right now. My thoughts & prayers are with you & your brother & please know that you touch peoples lives. Some you don't even realize. Take care. Vicki
          I haven't had to go through these health issues with anyone in my family. We are of strong German stock and almost without exception, the family seems to live on a long time with health issues only near the end. (I did lose my 1st wife a long time ago but that was a different situation.) But I know my parents are getting up there in years and I do not look forward to that. My thoughts continue to be with you and your brother Vista. With all the recent talk by many of you about power outages, getting generators, thunderstorms, and H&H ... it sounds like all of you live down here and are preparing for hurricane season ... 6 very easy miles at 9:35 min/mile pace. The avg. HR was 133. Felt good again. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good morning Boomers. No run yet today, as I am EXHAUSTED from spending yesterday with my future daughter-in-law gathering, cutting and taking care of flowers. We were at 7 diferent homes in various parts of the city looking for peonies for her bouquet and the table arrangements. Will squeeze one in after work today if the weather cooperates. The thought of running on a treadmill at this time of the year is not a happy one! {{{ Vista ))) Everyone should be lucky enough to have a compassionate, loving brother like you. Your letter to your brother was beautiful - sometimes it's easier to put words on paper than to say them out loud. Good luck these next few days. Roy - thanks for the weather update. I'll share the good news with my DH the golfer. Nice runs, Breger and Tim. Has it cooled off at all? My brother is visiting his son in New York and he said it's been brutal - 100F in Manhattan and lots of power outages due to high usage. 3 days until the wedding - always remember the mother of the groom motto: "show up, shut up, wear beige!" Enjoy your runs, everyone. Jeanne
              Vista - you are a wonderful brother. Take care of yourself during this stressful period. Jeanne - weddings are so exciting! Congratulations. I know you're somewhere in Wisconsin. I grew up in Racine, and noted the flooding they've had there this week. I saw some footage on the Racine Journal Times web site, and feel badly for all the folks suffering through this in the midWest. Hope the weather is good for the wedding! 5 miles today at a moderately easy pace, after 9 yesterday with 4 tempo. Off to work now - I've been incredibly busy, with little time to read or post.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Tramps

Vista, take care. Less humidity, lower temps, and fewer fllies today so I'm a happy camper. 5.2 miles @ 9:03 pace. Rushing to a meeting...

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

Vista, it's great that you and your brother are able to support each other when needed. Physical therapy (for my back) at 6:00am followed by 4 easy miles on the rail trail. NMFAR (nice morning for a run) High school graduation ceremony for my youngest daughter tonight. The day also happens to be our 25th wedding anniversary. Too bad we aren't flying off to Bermuda tomorrow like we did 25 years ago.

Marathon Maniac #957

Vista – your opening post brought tears to my eyes, and I haven’t even gotten to your letter yet. If I was there with you now, I hope you would accept the long, heartfelt hug I would give you. Please know that we are all walking with you through this, and with your brother. Jlynne – hang in there! Dave59 – Happy Anniversary! (and graduation to your DD) Hearing you folks talk about your hills yesterday makes me sure that mine are not as bad, but they still kick my wimpy flatlander butt. Smile 8.45 miles for me today in a pleasant 61 degrees, with miles 5 and 6 at MP (8:45), otherwise generally an easy-frisky pace (ave 9:39).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Vista, Yoiu are a wonderful brother and man. Thoughts are with you. One of my favorite french songs has a line in it that goes like this. Elle a dû faire toutes les guerres, Pour être si forte aujourd'hui, Elle a dû faire toutes les guerres, De la vie, et l'amour aussi. it talks about a woman but can apply to a man. It's basically saying that to be so strong you must have gone thru many wars during your life, and love also. It's hard to translate but when I read your thoughts this morning this came to me. No running today...will go out for a long cycle and some ab and weight work later. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Vista, I don't know you well yet, but know that you and your brother are in my thoughts. Ran a very easy 3 last night. The weather was great at 80 degrees and I felt good but tired after my recent return from DC which was great but HOT and HUMID.
                          vista best wishes for your brother and your family. Very busy at work this week and next. So, I am not sure if I can get back and respond to the dailies which I still try to read. Today totaled 14.18 miles with about 9.75 with my TP. This morning held some of the best running weather I will ever see in my life! It averaged 69° F and low humidity! If you know CT then you know the low humidity part is all too rare. Good runs all today.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Vista -- my thoughts continue with you. Today's run was warm but dry, and not a little windy. 5.1 easy miles in a bleak industrial park somewhere in Nevada. Workout: 4.1 miles, 8:36/mi, AHR 151 (too high) Overall: 5.1 miles, 44:00

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Good morning, all! Vista - wish I had a brother like you - your brother is so lucky to have you around. Thoughts and prayers for both of you. Erika - sounds like you're going up a size in the Nimbus X's. I had to go up a half size - the women's 12's were just too small. I knew I could do daily runs in them, but the weekend long runs would be a problem. Dave - congratulations on the 25 year milestone!! So good to see you posting again. vicki - welcome, lurker! I can relate to your "why I run" - I feel the same way. The woods around our house are full of what I'm guessing are small-leaved rhododendrons in full bloom. The trees have small, waxy deep green leaves, and they kept the leaves all winter. They are gorgeous. 6 miles on the track this morning - 1 warmup mile followed by 4 miles at 8:30 pace and a cooldown mile. Jesse and I did another 2 jogging miles and 2 walking miles after the track workout. What a difference the low humidity makes!! Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Ran for 1.25 miles and then walked...can't breath...no sense pushing it...starting to feel better... {{{{{{Vista}}}}}} My Ragnar team is having our meeting tonight,making sure we all know which legs we are running and what is expected of us Tight lipped
                                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip