Masters Running

40/40 Thread for week ending 2/17/08 (Read 661 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

For those of you who are new, this is the 40/40 thread, for those who are over 40 years old who run or aspire to run 40 miles/week. We give Free Passes to those who come really close or try really hard... Here's the tally from last week:
    WhoMilesCommentary
    Twocat70.77 Topping off the week with a 22-miler, some of it in snow – that’s a tough run!
    Perch66.2 You’re looking awesome, Perch!
    CNYrunner63 Didn’t get to run her HM, but with weather conditions as they were, I’m not sure that was a bad thing.
    Holly51.92 runs with CNYrunner this week!
    Hermosaboy50.23 He’s back! Hermosaboy, you should consider making your log public, because you do some fine training.
    Biketm47.2 Battling some serious wind this week.
    Breger47.07 Getting ready for his A1A HM next week.
    Pfriese46.8 Including a 10-mile TM run – anything over 5 on a TM is tough in my book.
    Evenflein45.8 Including some miles outside in ridiculously cold temps – yikes!
    Predawnrunner42.7 Not quite according to plan, but still got ‘er done.
    Carnivirus42 Ramping up for the Rock-n-Roll Marathon in San Diego.
    Wa5yom38 Back to 40 next week.
    Slojim31.5 Bad headache got in the way of the weekend running.
    Tramps Free Pass Recovering from illness.
    SirWalksalot Free Pass Recovering from illness.
    Here's my plan for the coming week:
    DayPlanActualCommentary
    Monday0 miles0 miles Weights and abs
    Tuesday8-11 miles 10 miles 8 slow/up/fast/down hill repeats in the snow
    Wednesday7 miles 7.1 miles Easy pace – with CNYrunner again!
    Thursday8-11 miles 10 miles GA pace, with CNYrunner again!
    Friday0 miles0 miles Weights and abs
    Saturday20 miles 7.2 miles Changed plans
    Sunday7 miles 20.35 miles Easy pace
    Total50-5654.7

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks Holly! Monday--------off Tuesday-------8-10 miles/1 mile wu 2 x 25 at 7:20 pace w/3 mins. rest/cd---5 miles with 4 at 7:05 pace Wednesday---7 miles with Holly---7.10 miles with Holly--nice pace Thursday------8-10 miles with Holly----10 lovely Valentine miles with Holly Friday---------10 miles/1 mile wu/8 miles at7:45-7:50 pace/1 mile cd----10.4 miles w/8 miles at tempo pace---10.4 in 1:28 overall/8:32 pace/8 miles in 59:11 for 7:24ish pace---feeling fast today Saturday------8 miles with strides---8.6 at 8:59 pace/no strides/1:17 total Sunday--------22 miles-----22.3 in 3:21/9:01 pace---last mile in 8:02 weights and abs 3x week------done No candy-----well, pretty good and then Teuscher chocolate truffles magically appeared on my nightstand Get more sleep-----failed in the first part of the week---8 hours for the past three nights Total= 63-65----63.4

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks Holly!!! Mon - 10 miles - 7 easy and 3 hard tempo - little better temps at 12 degrees and slight wind Tues - 8 miles in snow, ice, slush mush - difficult run Weds - 10 miles - 7 easy, 3 tempo - nicer night to run than Tues Thurs - 10 miles - 1 mile warm up, 6 easy - 3 tempo Fri - Rest day Sat - 16.5 hard fought miles - high HR and dehydrated at end Sun - 6.5 miles easy Total - 61.0 miles - A first Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Holly you sure are efficient! I cannot believe how early on Monday this thread is up. Thank you for keeping it going. It sure helps with my weekly motivation!
          DayPlanActualCommentary
          Monday00
          Tuesday151519° outside! Brrr!
          Wednesday66.21 On a treadmill! Dead
          Thursday1314.04 A bit chilly but felt good running anyway.
          Friday1011.84 Ended up with an extra 1.68 mi in the AM (total 7.68) due to an over enthusiastic TP. Still plan to put in my 4 in the pm however. Did the 4! Well 4.16 but who is counting? Big grin Total for the day 11.84.
          Saturday1515.9212@7:38 turned into 12.07@7:24 when pushed by a friend I was running with.
          Sunday7 7.05 Easy run with DW.
          Total66 70.06

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

The A1A HM is on Sunday so the miles will be down a little - probably just barely 40. If the weather is nice I'll run for a PR. If not, I'll run the HM at MP and train through it. 8:45 min/mile pace. 55 degrees!
            DayPlanActualComments
            Monday12 miles12 milesNice fast finish MLR. Perfect running weather
            Tuesday6 miles easy5.75 milesTried to run easy, but 30 MPH winds made it harder.
            Wednesday7 miles with 8x100m striders0 milesA smart rest day taken instead.
            Thursday5 miles easy4.2 miles8:45 min/mile pace. 55 degrees!
            FridayPlanned Rest Day3.05 milesRecovery pace 9:55 min/mile
            SaturdayPlanned Rest Day
            Sunday13.1 HM Race5 milesDNF. Disappointed, but it'll pass
            Totals:40ish30.0 miles
            Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Thanks, Holly! Easier week. No fast stuff.
              DayPlan Actual Comments
              Monday REST+ X-Train2 miMagical Healing Miles for Tory @ AHR 131 (+ 3x20 pushups and ham/hip strengthening)
              Tuesday6 mi recovery 5.9 mimagical healing miles with Tory (and DaveinAA!)
              Wednesday13 mi m-LR13.1 mi8:43 pace, AHR 148,blasted out a 7:09 mile for mile 12
              Thursday6 mi recovery6 mibit of an injury on knee and foot from banked roads in yesterday's run
              Friday13 mi m-LR6 miditched m-LR for recovery... very slow 10:22 pace, knee/foot better today
              Saturday6 mi recovery w/ 6x100m strides8.2 mi 2.2 mi w/u then 6 mi progression GA(8:20-7:43) with foot and knee not complaining at all!
              Sunday16 mi m-LR16 mihilly neg split, 9:36 1st half, 8:37 2nd half no knee or foot issues
              Totals:6257.2dodged the injury ball

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

evanflein

Not sure what to do this week... I've got the schedule all laid out, but looks like some home-life conflicts might mess things up. Here's the rough "plan" though, such as it is...
                Day Plan Actual Comments
                Monday XT Day0Visited mom in hospital, home late, tired, etc.
                Tuesday5 w/3@10k pace5.53 milesCould only crank out 2.5 mile repeats @ 10k pace, w/MP "rests" and finish
                Wednesday9 miles w/3@MP10.57 milesprogressive tempo run
                Thursday5 miles EZ5.1 milesKept it nice and EZ @ 8:49 m/m
                Friday Rest Day0 milesI had an empty house and did house stuff just for me Smile
                Saturday9 miles9 milesHills... ugh
                Sunday19 miles20 milesGlad that's done, warmest in weeks at -4 to +7 temps
                Totals:47 Miles50.2 actual total
                  This week's plan....
                  DayPlanActualCommentary
                  Sunday7.5 easy7.5 easy
                  Monday Rest
                  Tuesday12 long12 long Felt great after last week’s unexpected step back week.
                  Wednesday7 easy7.6 easy
                  Thursday Rest
                  Friday8 progressive 7 easy Tried legs from racquetball, I’ll save the progressive run for Sat.
                  Saturday7 easy 7.5 progressive
                  Total41.5 41.6
                  Getting the hang of the table with the marco..... thanks 2cat Smile
                    Trying to get up and running... M--0 T--0 W--0 TH--0......still tryin'...... F--7.64, 1:07:49.......finally back into it, sort of. S--0 S--7.45, 1:07.21...B-day weekend for my 9YO, lots of running around, not so much running. Look at that valley in my training log.....I highly recommend NEVER getting pneumonia.
                    carnivirus

Just squeezed over 40 last week, BUT on 5 days and a bum quad . . . Hopefully the quad will recover well enough for me to run a fast-paced HM this weekend (Buzz HM in San Miguel, CA). It's a chance to shake some rust off . . . it's a race . . . it's a long run . . . it's a tempo run . . . and more!
                      Day Plan Actual Comments
                      MondayRest0Travel/work late
                      Tuesday5-6 XT0GF plans ran long . . . bye running
                      WednesdayIntervals (8-9)9(200/400/600/800/800/600/400/200)
                      Thursday5-6 easy + XT7
                      Friday 5-6 easy 5easy bluff trail run
                      Saturday13.1 + 4 wu & cd6Buzz HM Camp Roberts, CA (DNS: bad day to forget my license)
                      Sunday5-6 easy 0Worked around the house instead of running
                      Totals:45-50 Miles27We'll call it a stepback week
                      HermosaBoy

I thought my log was public??? How do I make it show up by my name?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Hermosaboy, click on "Options" then "My Log Preferences". There is a check mark in there you need to set. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

HermosaBoy

Hermosaboy, click on "Options" then "My Log Preferences". There is a check mark in there you need to set. Bill
                            THANKS! See if it's viewable now...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

pfriese

Holly, Thanks for the weekly summaries.
                              DayMilesComment
                              Mondayrest day - done
                              Tuesday8.1 miles - done8:45/mile avg pace (last 4 miles @ MP)
                              Wednesday10.4 miles - done9:20/mile avg pace
                              Thursdayrest day - done
                              Fridayrest day - done
                              Saturday15 miles - done9:52/mile avg pace, treadmill run again
                              Sunday7.75 mile - done9:09 abg pace
                              Total41.3 miles - Done
                              Paul
                                Thanks Holly!
                                DayPlan Actual Comments
                                Monday Rest Rest-
                                Tuesday8 mi easy8.1 mi 10:52 pace, a little icy
                                Wednesday5 mi easy5 mi10:04 pace, a lot icy
                                Thursday10 mi 10 mi10:07 pace
                                FridayRestRest-
                                Saturday4 mi easy4.1 mi GA9:39 pace
                                Sunday20 mi Long20.3 mi10:45 pace