Masters Running

Talk Like Tet Tuesday, 8.4.15 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' kids.

I wonder if they flattened out those hills from Aamos' 150th marathon how much more mileage it would add up to? If I knew the course was that hilly, I wouldn't want to look at the course map either, but then if I knew it was that hilly I wouldn't need to look at the course map and I'd be just as intimidated by the hills either way, but nothing seems to get in Amy's way, so how much difference do a few hills make anyway if you are a wonderwoman who runs 150 marathons?

Just to start the week off on a high note, Twokitty runs 18 and the Wild Child goes 20 like they're both just going down to the corner grocery for a carton of milk when we mere mortals save those long runs for the weekends when we can spend more time taking our time on the roads and then recovering afterwards, and Mike goes a little nuts because no one is there to witness the historic event and counterintuitively runs counter clockwise on the track, messing with the space and time continuim.

6.3 RW miles at J o'clock this morning in thick and drippy weather so I decided to do fartleks because I was so dang slow over the weekend and if I can approximate some speed in this less-than-ideal weather just think of what I can do when it is ideal, if I only knew what ideal was because the weather changes from day to day and whatever the weather is at any point in time might as well be 'ideal' because there are no better options right then. I had a mini bonk in mile 4 when I couldn't pull enough air out of the universe to keep my lungs adequately fed and so had to slow down for a bit because I was getting a bit lightheaded until I got some water at an on-the-way water fountain and then still managed to hit my goal time for my last fartlek, and so felt good about the workout in those less-than-ideal but ideal for today conditions.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

since he's inimitable, tet will have to be the one who talks like tet today, at least as far as I'm concerned....

and here's the truly amazing person:

"Oh, and speaking of amazing--Deez--10 babies delivered, today?  Do you have any idea how many you have helped deliver over the years?  Do you ever see any of them once they're all grown up?"  --Mike E

.....again, I so enjoyed hanging with you in Boston this year, Deez; think of you often.    Yes, how many do you estimate a year??

tom, loved Cookeville, and a Ft. Myers running chum's daughter, who lives in Nashville, is engaged to a young man from Cookeville, so I may just have reason to go back......met Sharon at World Foods and could have spent more time at Charlotte's.   ...fortunately made it to the library book sale, too.........was wondering why you didn't say anything before hand, thought maybe I'd annoyed you by some posts or somethin'

......now what if I truly lose it and do the Monkey???

Next time, you'll have to actually run backwards, Mike; it uses different muscles.

6 really easy ones, and No Speedsters tonight!

grins,

A

p.s. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKE!"  she yelled, as singing was not her forte.

p.s: Instead of a race  shirt, we ladies got running skirts with an incandescent BitS (the B and S are way bigger) [for Blister in the Sun]) embroidered on it.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mike E

MM #5615

Thanks, Jay, for starting, today's daily and creating a very much anticipated, if not, hopeful "Talk Like Tet Tuesday" thread.  Although, fun, I doubt that anybody will be able to glean any recognition of any resemblance of what anybody is actually trying to say, which, I would imagine, makes it an afore mentioned "Talk Like Tet Tuesday" thread.  It is a perfect day for me to tell Erika, who coincidentally and just so happens to live in Erika Land, that Mikey, who was born in another frozen tundra of No Dak Land back in the days when Boston Billy was living up to his name and, who you all know, also lives in Erika Land, although a bit further south, traveled through her particular spot on his way to Cold Foot with a load of hay as he was helping out his brother-in-law...who I wonder if he has ever run or even swam under the moonlit lights of the Erika Land skies.  Had I known of his impending trek up Erika Land way, it would have been fun to have organized a brief, yet entertaining meet up between him and the Northern Goddess as, I believe, her place is situated about half way between his home and his destination.  Oh well...maybe someday the two will of them will run into each other or perhaps and even more probable I, myself, will make a trip to see her when I voyage north for a visit and to watch my granddaughters in an upcoming race of which I am sure they will be participating in many, especially as they begin their cross country ski training this winter as they will be turning three this September, after all.

Happy Talk Like Tet Tuesday!

Gotta go!  See ya!

Slo

Congrats Amy on 150 !!  Pretty cool if you ask me.

Happy Birthday Mike!

Nice cool morning. Logged 5.5 miles

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy - running skirt instead of a race shirt is an awesome idea!

Mike - you crazy guy, you, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!  You have the best abs of any grandpa I know....

Deez - what an amazing job you have!

Jay - sorry, I just don't think I am able to talk like Tet.  He is in a class of his own.  

6 miles for me in 64 degrees.  The sudden drop in temps caused a major fog bank at the river, which was interesting because it was only right by the river, and when I ran a block inland from the water the sun was up.

Volleyball tryouts for DD tonight, only two openings on the team and 5 girls trying for it.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKE!  does running backwards mean you're getting younger?

anted to go out this morning at my sense of j o'clock but it was thunder and lightening.  by the time i could run it was HHH - 5 sticky ones

Amy - congrats on 150 and I also like the running skirt

Holly & Slo - send us some coolth (there are rumors we're getting some in a couple of days, but who knows)

marj

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy birthday mikeE
                At this stage, every birthday deserves a good antic.
                However, it’s really not running backwards.
                nice try jay, mikey for tet-talk but you’ll never be able to run like him.
                Kind of painful to plow through though so I’ll never do it again.
                Awesome training run. Just from this morning: have you ever run a 4.5 mile training run that is not only a PR for four months in a row with at least one training run but along the way you got one “awesome” and a “nice shirt” from two young nymphets passing by me so fast it was as if I were stopping to picking up garbage?  Unfortunately, the first was because I was picking up cartons, cans, and other trash left over from the Seafair finale weekend that was interfering with the bike path along the way and the second was a florescent yellow tee from the Torchlight Pirate run that would have made TomW happy.
                or this: congratulations on amy’s 150th marathon but, especially after her Boston-2-BigSur double faster than I’ve run some of my recent singles (7hr/30min) but she’ll have to run another 70-80 marathons to get anywhere close to the 700+ hours it took me to get to my 150 mark to say nothing of the fact that it took me more than 35 years while, accounting for her two-and-a-half year sabbatical time off to volunteer in the South, she’s done the same in less than ten years.

Did you know she’s been first place AG’s in more than a hundred of them, besting as many as 125 other ladies to say nothing of first place in her sex and overall categories too or that her AG-calculations would have her winning many of her recent races outright too.  I’m so slow that I’m afraid I’ll miss her too in case she’s back sometime for a race run in the Pacific Northwest.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Yes Amy, Congrats on 150!

Mike - YOU NAILED IT!  re: Talk like Tet Tuesday.  I don't know how you did it, but you did.  Happy Birthday, you direction-changing rebel on a track.

Second morning waking up beside my most adored house guest for the week, after not enough sleep during this luvcation I am on, I slipped out into the cool air around a darkish 5 am, letting such adored and esteemed house guest share the big bed with his newest furry friend, to get more zzzz and have his toes licked by said furbaby, before his bike commute into the city.  Thinking about said house guest's bragging of his top 10% placement among cyclists who ride up the stretch of hill running from a nearby commercial district that goes over a mile gaining 300 or more feet of elevation towards my house, referred to as the dreaded Honda Hill, I was inspired to do the same route, albeit at a snail's pace, yet keeping pace with a fellow on a slow and laden mountain bike, but I never stopped as I normally do at the peak to catch my breath and look westward toward the awakening city.  Keeping right on, I timed the finish of my run to coincide exactly to the moment I knew such adored house guest needed wake up to begin his day.  Hoping for 7 miles in the allotted time, I fell short but 10K is 10K(+) when you think about that relentless hill and I was so joyously proud.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

...aamos//........if you get back up this way send me a message,

I haven't been checking in regularly,

but once I get able to walk I'd love to meet you

also,

I had never heard of this race

and

I asked a couple of other runners here,

and they hadn't either,,,so if you had used the ''Blister in the Sun Marathon'' in a post, I wouldnt have recognized it

-----------

30-min pr nb deo cf

..........apparently nobody can talk like tet except mikeE

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I can't talk like Tet, but I did have to fan myself after reading Enke

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

BlazinCajun

Just wanted to jump in here and wish Mike a Happy Birthday. You are an inspiration to all us younger runners in more ways than just running. Keep it up! Oh by the way, what did you say in your post?

Aamos - 150 marathons, amazing.

Fartlek day coastwalker - me to.

I give up - not smart enough to talk Tet:-)

Hang in there.

Andrew
                        ------------------
                        God, my Lord, is my strength;
                        he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                        and enables me to go upon the heights.
                        Hb 3:19

wildchild

Carolyn

I'm happy for you, Enke!

I can't talk like Tet, and if I could, it might mean I actually understood Tet when he talks, which I don't.

3 easy miles today - now I'm off to pick up my parents at the airport, and drive them up to my sister's house in Laramie.  We'll visit together till Friday, then I'll drop them off at the airport on my way home.  My DH is staying home with the dogs. The plan is to have my DH avoid spending time with my mom - he can't stand her, which is too bad, because that means he doesn't get to see my dad, who's great.  Oh well, such are the joys of family dynamics...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Snork! Kevin, you crack me up! And yes, so very happy for Enke, and it because pretty obvious the main subject of her post was not Remi. Nice run for you, Enke!

Mike, you missed your calling. Anyone who can put together so many long run-on sentences with multiple subjects in each really should have been an attorney! Happy birthday to you, you scandalous track violator, you. Now really though, I would be more impressed if there were witnesses.

That Amy is nothing short of amazing. Thanks for the write up, Tet, as if we need a reminder of her awesomeness. But then again, that Deez is no slouch either! Where would we all be without awesome labor/delivery nurses??

Holly, be careful what you wish for. That DD of yours always finds plenty of things to keep YOU very busy, but I think that's jtwyli.

Carolyn, that's too bad that you have to deal with those family dynamics. But, as long as everyone gets what they want (you and your parents, a visit; your DH, time alone with the dogs) then I guess it's not so bad. You could force them together and see what happens (why do I think of Holly's DD stuffing the dog and cat together in something, saying they need to learn to get along??).

An absolutely gorgeous day here, and I'm stuck at work. I'm gonna whine about that, at least to myself, because we really have so few of these days left. Clear sunny skies, virtually no wind, no smoke, and temps in the low 80's. Just perfect. And, of course, by the weekend it's supposed to cloud over and temps in the upper 60's, maybe 70. This working nonsense really gets in the way of enjoying the best of summer!

AND I have a meeting at one and too many phone calls this morning so I have to wait to go run till later. At least then it'll be nice and toasty and I'll get good n' sweaty to come back to work for an hour before going home.

Mike E

MM #5615

I think enke talks like tet better than tet talks like tet and tet is tet!

I spent last weekend in Ludington at our annual family reunion.  It was a great time but I didn't run at all and only scanned the posts when I got home yesterday.  I see Steve was in Ludington while I was there.  Steve, are your wife and family at the State Park?  That Sunday evening storm was something.  That morning, 6 of us were out on a charter fishing boat.  The waves got pretty serious before we got back in around 11am.

Aamos, congrats on number 150.

Holly, in reference to your husband working so much overtime, I understand both sides.  Us guys are inclined to be concerned about our family's financial stability and show we care by working hard to help support them.  However, as I got past being his age many years ago and have the kids grown and out on their own, I have started to look at things more like you do.  A few extra dollars in the bank don't make up for missing milestones in the lives of your family because you are gone working or have ruined your health by working too hard.  It's important to take care of yourself so you increase the chances of being around to enjoy such things as graduations, weddings, grandkids, etc.

Mike, happy birthday.  Holly, good luck to your daughter on tonight's try outs.

This morning, it was in the high 50s and almost calm.  I got in 6 terribly slow miles.

After my run, my sister called that the facility where our mother lives is going to move her from the dementia area to the nursing home area on Thursday.  Therefore, tomorrow I will be heading back to Ludingtonl

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS