Masters Running

40's on the Run -- Springing Forward (Week of 3/9) (Read 412 times)

Hiya 40's, Since I can't seem to keep up w/ you guys lately, figured I could at least start a new thread. I caught that Jewels and Arla both had rough weeks, and Angie found a little extra oxygen. It's getting to be time for springtime racing here in TX, although you couldn't tell it last week...we had a few inches of snow on Thursday. Got in 25 miles last week, some running solo, some with hubby, some with dogs. My head has been spinning more than my garmin of late with overlapping jobs. So here's to a better week for everyone!
    Progress Trumps Pefection
      Carol - Good to hear from you. We've been missing you! Hopefully your multiple jobs will settle down and won't drive you to drinking. Smile Five miles w/five 2-minute strides were on tap this a.m. Got through the strides ( Dead ) and most of the 5 miles when my right hip flexor decided to start seizing up on me. Remember the problem I had last year where my whole left hip, front to back, seized up and I couldn't hardly walk? Same $@$% thing, only on the right side. I stopped 3 times to stretch the hip flexor and hamstring really good, but to no avail. I ended up walking the last mile or so home. I stretched really good when I got home, but I can tell that it's "not all better." Kind of achy. I'm going to try and get into a sports massage therapist in the next day or two, but in the meantime will utilize my foam roller when I get home tonight. Coach Bill has decided to start me on "positive visualization" activities, however, here we are again. It's right before a running event and something's going wrong. I have yet to come into an event healthy. Something always goes wrong shortly before - injury, illness, whatever. And I'm seriously getting PO'd about it. Angry And I'd use stronger language, but I know I gotta keep it clean here. . . . . I needed to vent. Thanks. To end on a positive note: "Dreams are renewable. No matter what our age or condition, there are still untapped possibilities within us and new beauty waiting to be born." (Dale E. Turner, writer) Have a good week!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

It looked warm out but it wasn't yesterday, not really winter frigid but not Spring either. I headed out in bright sun and 34 degrees F and hit a 20 mph headwind for about 3 miles then turned east into the wind and began shedding layers. Anyway got in a 6 mile Long Run (for me) best since the whole hip debacale started in Nov after harvest. I have decent miles in for the last 5 days or so now off til wednesday class run. I feel great today and btw I am officiallly done with my dental reconstruction as of last thurs. I posted these before and after photos on my blogsite on another website with the before with some guy with billybob teeth and a John Deere hat and the after "Jaws" of 007 fame. Carol glad to see you made it back here, nice run week!! I better get back to work, good runs forties folks!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Just a friendly afternoon bump! Smile Big grin Wink Tongue

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Thanks for starting us off Carol....you're a busy, busy lady. Nice week of running, 25 miles is great! r2....I bet your glad your dental stuff is finally over.....would have loved to see the Billy Bob teeth! Nice 6 mile run you had there. Leslie....hope all the "hot spots" work there way out for ya. A good massage does sound like the trick. Have a great evening all.........Jewels
            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

flatland mountaineer

Jewels I made the bbob teeth pic my profile pic, I would love to wear a set of those to my next dental hygenist apptmtnt but am afraid they would make me pay Big grin btw I have no idea who the bbob teeth model is but the JD cap makes it a classic! I'll have to post a real after pic sometime, they turned out pretty nice. Leslie, bummer I feel for ya, hope its just a little tweak thing and not an injury. Angie glad you caught back up with us and are back "on the run".

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Ultrachick

Hi Everyone, there are too many other threads for me to keep up with as well. Leslie-have you seen a physical therapist about your hips? I hope your blister issues aren't throwing your gate off so that's it's now affecting your hips. It sounds like something is out of balance and if you have a physical therapist do an all over strength, flexibility and range of motion exam then you can get some strengthening exercises to get back into balance. Glad to read eveyone else is getting some miles in, smiling pretty and doing fine. I've got a touch of a cold-I think-just in time for a half marathon this weekend but I think I'll be better by then. Did an easy 3 miles today to get some fresh air and sunshine in 19 degree weather. Take care, Kelly
                If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Top 'O the World!

Hey everyone! Thanks for starting us out Carol....ditto on getting in 25 miles on top of .....did you say only 2 jobs!?!?! Tongue which "2" are you counting? Evil grin Well, we're s'posed to be gettin' warmer weather these days.....yesterday was 30*, but sunny & calm here (sorry R2!), made for a real nice 7.11 mosey miles w/both big dogs.....today was 56*, sunny & calm - but I only had time for 3.7 m w/just Mairead....tomorrow's supposed to hit 64* Cool I've been busy w/extra house guests (if you can call your kids "house-guests!" Wink ) our pregnant daughter & her 18mo old daughter have been staying w/us this week too....we have them until Thursday, when I will spend all day taking her home to NE & visiting w/folks there ...... Sorry to hear about your bee- sting Jewels! I wish I'd have read that sooner...see, my Dad used to be a beekeeper "back in the day" & all of those guys kept tubes of BenGay (or Vick's vapo-rub, or Icy Hot) in the trucks because the menthol/camphor/salicylic acid combo draws out the poison & kills the pain....usually about 20 mins later you're hard pressed to find the sting location! works great on mosquito bites too...only these days I tend to buy the Equate brand (Walmart) cause it's only about $2 for a big tube that stays in my camping/hiking gear bag. I'll catch up on the rest later.... Have a great week everybody!! Cindy
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                    tubes of BenGay (or Vick's vapo-rub, or Icy Hot) in the trucks because the menthol/camphor/salicylic acid combo draws out the poison & kills the pain....usually about 20 mins later you're hard pressed to find the sting location! works great on mosquito bites too...only these days I tend to buy the Equate brand (Walmart) cause it's only about $2 for a big tube that stays in my camping/hiking gear bag.
                    This I will have to remember. Wonder if it works just as well with flea bites? With 5 cats, even though I'm diligent with the flea stuff, the time of year's a-comin' when the battle will begin. Didn't run this morning and focused on upper body and core strengthening. Last night, I used the heating pad to warm up my hamstrings and hip flexors then spent about 15 minutes stretching. Things are tight, tight, tight, which I know is the problem. I stretched really good this morning, too, and used my foam roller on my right hammy, inner and outer thigh, and up through the ole gluteous maximus. Felt good, but again, I can tell those are the problem areas. Very tight. So much for me thinking I've been stretching enough. I'll rotate sitting on the heating pad and ice pad throughout the day today to get the blood really flowing through the ham and will stretch again tonight. Kelly - I had this same problem last year on the left side. The culprit - overworked quads, underworked hamstrings, everything tight and being pulled in the wrong direction. And something always happens before an event, so I was ready for it. Wish I could post my friend Karen's email here re this thing, but it was full of 4-letter words that I probably shouldn't repeat. Wink And as I told Coach - here's my positive face!!! Big grin Big grin "Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use." (Earl Nightingale Motivational Speaker)

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

A friendly bump!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

It's awfully quiet around the 40's thread lately..... r2-The Billy Bob photo is priceless! Leslie-Hope your kinks are getting worked out. Kelly-Did your cold get any worse? Hopefully it was a baby of a cold and not a monster one. Cindy-You are a busy lady with your company (even if it is family) AND you are still getting in your runs! Have a great HUMP day all........Jewels
                        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                          It's awfully quiet around the 40's thread lately.....
                          Yes, it is!
                          Cindy-You are a busy lady with your company (even if it is family) AND you are still getting in your runs!
                          Between Cindy and Carole, I'm exhausted! Tongue Foam roller and stretching last night. Tried to sleep in today since it was a rest day, but to no avail. Finally kicked the two old grouches (no, not including hub, although it was an option)) out into the garage around 5:30 so I could at least try and get a little more sleep. Tomorrow at 10:00 I see a sports massage therapist who understood exactly what I was talking about. Nice! So hopefully working with her a couple of times over the next week will help get the kinks out. I can't remember the last time I got a massage. I am so looking forward to this, even if it is just the hammies. It's gonna feel (in the style of Tony the Tiger) grrrrrrEAT! Happy Hump Day, Everyone!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - it's so sad to picture you alternating sitting on ice and heat! Treat yourself to a nice massage sometime! Wait a minute, isn't that what hubbies are for? Carol - sounds like your spring running is going really well, I can't believe you can manage it with all that working. Ultrachick - sorry, but "fresh air", "sunshine" and "19 degree weather" don't belong in the same sentence. Big grin But that's why you're tougher than me! r2 - hooray for you! Healthy teeth and body, spring coming soon, what more could you ask for? Three nights in a row of coughing all d&%* night long, had to let my students out early due to coughing, but still got in teensy little 2 mi runs in the last two days, which is saving my sanity. Will try again today, I hate watching the pace bunny catch up to me. Arla Modified to add - Leslie - I see you're already pursuing the massage route - enjoy!

Ex runner

jfa

Hi All !! Been very busy and paying the piper at work for taking last week off so little time to post. Carol-good to see you and glad about your joBlack eyes).Being busy at work is a good thing with this economy.Happy your running is going well too Smile. Leslie-feel those healing vibes going your way!? Wink Hope you feel better soon.I think your coach is right,gotta stay positive cause being bummed won't make it better.Remember that there will be other races and runs and that there is No finish line. Angie-Good to see you again and that's very good news about your asthma.You must be really happy about your running! Jewels- I'll get working on those pics.I bet you have a bit of that tropical thing going on around you so it's not that big a deal.I guess you will get some space back soon when those snowflakes come back up north! Cindy- good going with all those kids/grankids around!Boy,just when you thought you could get some space of your own! Roll eyes You have some lucky dogs with you as a Mom! Kelly-Good luck with your half!Hope you're feeling better by then.Don't worry,the warm weather will be there soon! Farm- Great news about your choppers and Fantastic that your runs are going well again!! Yes Arla- hope you're feeling better soon too.That bunny is a devious little furry effer that never sleeps! Add me to the list of injured this week.Was on mile 15 of a 16 miler on Sunday and felt a "twang" in my right knee.Not really pain so much as tension.Went slow on the last mile but felt it again the next morning.That was a rest day,then yesterday did 7.5 on some rolling hills without a problem.Headed out this am for 10m and quit after only one mile.Not real painful,but not right either and I am scheduled for my second 20 miler this Sunday Confused Black eye Going to try again in the morning so will see how it goes? Roll eyes Take care folks! MTA- sorry Carol ,don't know how that blackeyed guy got there and can't seem to be able to delete him?

OKAY - ((((((((HEALING VIBES ALL AROUND)))))))))

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance