Masters Running

Monday, May 4th...Prom and PVC fences (Read 445 times)

Slo

Morning all ! Guess we're all runnin a bit late this morning. Busy weekend.....Lots of great reading there. Tramps.....That was a strange race ! Econo......I'm not SloJim......But I do like Slo Gin! Prom.....I survied my 3rd Prom as a father. The don't get any easier. This year she is a Senior so the planning and festivities just get stretched out. She was in her dress at 4:30pm for pictures........I must say, she is a gorgeous young lady and looked way to grown up Sad . She'll be leading the Marching Band in Hawaii in less than 6 weeks.....Another test for Dad.....Let your 18 yr old daughter go to Hawaii Roll eyes Starting on a new home improvement project. A PVC fence....(bye neighbor) and patio brick.....Hello Summer and Vodka Lemonades !
      Slow waking Masters today ... 4 very easy recovery-paced miles this morning. Sprinkled in a few short striders too. I just wanted to awaken the legs a bit. Avg HR 127. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

SLO--yep, weird one. I'm still shaking my head this morning. I'm also a little stiff from my non-race race and hoped to get out for a couple of miles. Unfortunately, it was pouring here today and I couldn't bring myself to head out, so just a little core work with lots of stretching. Have a good week!

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

Bill, It never fails.....you sit and wait for someone to pull the trigger.....when you can't wait any longer.....BAM, someone else does. Wink I forgot.....I swam today. AND......here's the best part.....we got a new life gaurd......ZOWIE Shocked.....40 something and somkin!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! (forgive this mini RR) Yesterday I ran the Flying Pig HM in Cincinnati. The weather was great, low 50’s with a barely perceptible drizzle. As I said before, I wasn’t racing this one, just running it with friends. My friend Scott had asked me to help him keep on pace for a sub-2-hour finishing time with the help of my Garmin. The other two of our group, Todd and Heather, planned to start out with us and drop back if need be. As it turned out, Heather waved us on ahead early on and Scott, Todd and I finished together. The plan was for me to make sure our average pace stayed around 9:00, but the boys were feeling pretty good at a slightly faster pace, and we ended up finishing well under the 2-hour goal, chip time for me was 1:55:13 (8:48 ave), with Todd slightly in front and Scott slightly behind. When we got about a half-mile from the finish, I told them, “If you’ve got anything left to kick, now’s the time to do it.” Todd took off like a shot, and I followed (he was fast!). My Garmin was off for the distance even more than usual, saying we ran 13.53 miles (I did do a lot of zig-zagging though, running back and forth regrouping after hydration stations), but it timed my last 2 miles at 7:57 and 7:45, with the last .53 mile at 6:26 (!). I’ve never actually run at 6:XX mile in my life, so that was fun to see even for a short distance. This was probably the most fun I've had at a race because a) I wasn't running all out (a hard effort, but still I felt amazingly comfortable) and b) I was running with friends. Very low stress, high pleasantry, and at the end I felt like I could have run another 5 miles easily. (In fact, I felt so good that I fully intended to go home and run another 5 miles, but after the hour’s drive back, a hot shower won out.) We all agreed that the whole race seemed to fly by. I’m so used to running and racing alone – amazing what a difference running with friends is. No ill effects today, other than the expected stiffness from a hard effort. 3.1 recovery miles outside, followed by push-ups, dead lifts, weighted squats, weighted duck squats, superman lifts, reverse flies, lateral raises, and stability ball crunches. Now to go read what you guys were doing with the weekend.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

we got a new life gaurd......ZOWIE Shocked.....40 something and somkin!
              Hey good Buddie - bestest friend....hook this single brother up dude Wink Smile Quickly as I am short on time, I wanted to share something I thought was pretty amazing. I was watching the Indy Mini (1/2 M) Sat morning which they have a 5K first. They interviewed an 8 year old kiddo who ran the 5K in 19:54 for a 6:26 ave pace....that does not seem possible, but they showed him crossing the finish line along with his time showing on the clock. Wow, does he have a good running future or what? His mom said he is very much self motivated and she doesn't even have to make him run...he just wants to run. Hope everyone has a good Monday, Timbo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tramps

Holly--very cool! That sounds like a blast! Smile

Be safe. Be kind.

Way to go Holly! Fun, friends, and some fast times---it doesn't get much better. So I am guessing that SLO_HAND will be swimming a great deal more in the next weeks and months. 8.8 fartlek miles for me at 7:56 pace---7:10 am and 53º---charged all the hills and did lots of mailbox to mailbox surges. Felt strong. Core and weights as a chaser and now I am packing for NC. Off to Boone for a couple days. Kelly---it was great to meet you as well at yesterday's seven sisters trail race. The race raised almost $2,500 for the Friends of the Mt. Holyoke Range (trail conservation and repair) and $1,000 for the Sugarloaf Mountain Athletic Club. Good deal and thanks for coming down for it. You are one tough as Heck runner. I held on to my ankles reflexively as every finisher came careening down the trail. My son went to a hiking camp last year and they did the course on their last day as the graduation hike. The first thing he said when he came home that day: "Mama, are you trying to kill me? That hike was really treacherous and death defying." Ha.
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

It's May 4th, isn't it, lol? I sure hope so, because I don't think I could stand an extra month of school! Carolyn, my older son didn't run because he's in the middle of outdoor track and a purist about his training! The younger one isn't that much into running, and I didn't want to push him. I think I'll see if he wants to run a race with us on Father's Day, though. 4 good miles with my running partner this morning. She's feeling stronger at last. I'm going to try to keep gently pushing her to get back to the mileage we were doing last year. I'm starting my boot camp tomorrow. Yikes. I'm a little worried, because I have the feeling I will be the slowest, least-coordinated person there. Oh, well, the director knows me, so she won't be surprised! Blush
                    Slo

It's May 4th, isn't it, lol? I sure hope so, because I don't think I could stand an extra month of school! Carolyn, my older son didn't run because he's in the middle of outdoor track and a purist about his training! The younger one isn't that much into running, and I didn't want to push him. I think I'll see if he wants to run a race with us on Father's Day, though. 4 good miles with my running partner this morning. She's feeling stronger at last. I'm going to try to keep gently pushing her to get back to the mileage we were doing last year. I'm starting my boot camp tomorrow. Yikes. I'm a little worried, because I have the feeling I will be the slowest, least-coordinated person there. Oh, well, the director knows me, so she won't be surprised! Blush
                      Yep, May 4th.....just like the title says ! Blush Hey, I finally started putting 2009 on my checks !
                        fussy, a couple of times I've picked up a dog running companion. Out here in the "sticks" a lot of dogs run free which is ok with me as long as they are friendly. I'll save the rant about the unfriendly ones for another time. The dogs that have joined me usually have done so for only a short distance. My biggest concern (with the friendly ones) is that they will follow me onto or across one of the few busy roads I run and get hit. When one has followed me a longer distance, I've worried about them getting home but I usually knew where they lived. Sarge, nice half for you and your wife, especially her with the big PR. teresa, nice 5K with your daughter and friends. ultrachick, nice race and chance to see CNY. FrancesRe, congrats on your first 5K. Holly, you did a fantastic job as a pacer and obviously had a great time with your friends. Econo, good job on your half. Nice long runs for Tall, dg, busi, hallar, Walt, and Tammy. This morning, it was in the low 40s and almost calm. I got in 8 miles in about 1:19:30 for a 9:55 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

King of PhotoShop

Somehow I thought Holly was doing the full at Flying Pig. But that is a nice confidence-builder to run a half like that and finish strong. 3.4 recovery miles at 10 min/mile on the dirt, followed by full flex and core workout at the Y. Spareribs
                            Something tells me Tim may be visiting SLO for some swimming lessons in the near future . . . And SLO - Vodka Lemonades? Personally, I would love the recipe. fatozzig at yahoo dot com. Me loves both of those wonderful beverages! Holly - Great job! And congrats to your friends, as well. Kelly - Way to go on the 12 miles, you mountain goat. Good luck with your upcoming 50. You'll do great, as always. Tapering this week, so after today I get to take it easy. Two fun things happened on my runs from Saturday and today. Saturday - let me start with Trail #12 is a decent freaking climb, and it's the one Coach tortures us with when he's getting us ready for a lot of climbing - like climbing it 3 or 4 times back-to-back. I think round trip is 3 miles. Going up ain't some much fun, but coming down, it's downhill all the way and is steepest toward the top. Well, after I got past a gravely patch, I decided to see how fast I could come down while still feeling in control. At one point, I snuck a peak at my Garmin and was doing a 6:04 av pace. Woo hoo! I had a blast! I finally decided to slow it down when I came to an area that's sort of rutted. Didn't want to splatter myself on the trail a week before my run. But doggone that was fun! Big grin Then this morning, I had 6 miles to do. At about the 5.5 mile mark I peaked at my Garmin and realized if I pushed it I could do the 6 miles in under an hour. Did it in 58:25, and that was with a couple of good climbs. My best time before that was 1:01:34. It helps that there was about a half mile section of steady decline, but with the two hills I ran without stopping, I figure it all evened out. I am pretty darn happy with that result. Finished 6.11 miles in 59:38.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Sounds like a very fun time Holly!! Today will have to be a rest day for me. Working all day, then have other obligations after work tonight. Won't get home until around 8:30. But I'm feeling good after my long yesterday and wish I could go run a slow couple miles as a recovery run to stave off any soreness that might creep on as the day progresses. Will just make a point of getting up from my desk frequently and walking around some. Have a good Monday everyone!

Tammy

Slo

And SLO - Vodka Lemonades? Personally, I would love the recipe. fatozzig at yahoo dot com. Me loves both of those wonderful beverages! .
                                Vodka Lemonades.......Just like any other Vodka drink.....Use the Lemonade as the mix. A Shot vodka topped off with lemonade over ice.....Great summertime drink. Now here's a recipe that has 3 of my favorite beverages. Strip and Go Nakeds; 1 part Frozen Concentrate Lemonade (I perfer full pulp) 2 parts Beer 1 part Vodka Mix and serve in tall glass over ice. You may add some water if needed. Consumer beware......Beverage lives up to it's name !