Masters Running

Friday, 1-2-15 (Read 34 times)

evanflein

I was thinking it's a good thing a lot of us use debit cards now. I remember when I wrote checks for everything I wrote the prior year on checks for the first two weeks of the new year!

Yesterday, I was thinking Hmmm.... it'd be good to get out for some miles on 1-1-15 since it was supposed to be colder later this week, and I *did* want to get a run in.... It was about 1:30 or so when Trackrat called me to say Let's Go Run! I was hesitant at first... we weren't even dressed yet! But we pulled it together and met him at DH's office for a nice run as the sun was setting. We still had twilight for over an hour so it wasn't an issue of darkness really. It was great to have someone to run with! He kept me "honest" by not stopping every so often, we even made both of the big intersection crossings without waiting! Ran along and talked a lot about work, bosses and kids... I guess the usual. It sure helped pass the time and kept me at a good pace so I could talk. Probably painfully slow for TR, but it felt good for me at 8:51 average (hey, did it feel that slow for you??) and we yakked a lot about all sorts of things.

Wish we could do that more often, but I'm sure he'd like to run much faster most times. But hey, next time you're in town, let me know!

Had dinner with both boys and their GF's tonight. I'm sad I won't see DS2's GF until he's back here, most likely. She goes to UH-Manoa and goes back next week. He goes back tomorrow morning. DS1 and his GF are house-sitting until classes start up again later this month. So... after tonight we have the house to ourselves again! I'll get out the vacuum...  Had grilled leg of lamb and sockeye salmon, with red garnet yams and steamed broccoli for dinner, with pumpkin pie for dessert. Yum!

Slo

Suddenly I am very hungry! Thanks Erika!

Quite the labored run this morning. Just not firing on all cylinders...5.6 miles around the hood.

New skirt in town

1hr 5min on the elliptical this AM, with a 0.25 mile walk to and from the gym.  My foot continues to feel fine, and I'm hopeful for the metatarsal healing.  I'm determined to continue to take it easy, though, and run only every other day for a while while I see what my bones can handle.

I'm coaching our Melanoma Foundation Boston Marathon team again this year, and I have a hill technique session tomorrow out on Heartbreak Hill.  I have to save my foot for that!  The uphills aren't a problem, and I think I'm just going to take it super easy on the downhills...lots of walking on the descents to protect my foot from the impact forces I just don't think it's ready for yet.  It will be great fun just to get out there, though!  I'm looking forward to meeting some of our new team members, getting out on the route, and just running out of doors again!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Thanks for meeting at the last minute Erika and for patience while I dealt with family logistics. Yeah it was a good final run before I say goodbye to everything here as an AK resident. Pace was fine for a winter run. I am going skiing today and then flying south.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks...

Nice that Erika and Atrackrat could get a run in together.  AT - are you moving permanently to Colorado?

Robin - .25 mile to the gym - very cool!

15 miles for me this morning in 30 degrees, with far too many walk breaks.  Gotta work on that.

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

pfriese

Gym was pretty full even with threatened ice storm moving in later this morning. 1 mile swim, then 2 miles on the treadmill.

Paul

Tramps

Robin--cool that you're coaching.

So our Alaska contingent is being reduced?

A nice 11-mile trail run this morning.  Caught up with the pace bunny.  Clowning around

Be safe. Be kind.

Let me just say that it warms my heart to a golden glow when I hear that others take walk breaks.

Hang in there with the crud, Slo.  If it's anything like what's going around in this part of the country, it hangs on for quite awhile.  Almost two weeks later, Shorty's still hacking up a lung every now and then.  AND he ended up with pinkeye.  Say WHAT???  I haven't gotten it, which surprises the heck outta me, but my brother, who was here for less than 2 days, ended up with it.  Go figure.  Shorty more than likely picked it up at an AA meeting since, other than that and the occasional grocery store trip, he doesn't have much contact with the public.

About an hour of core/ST this morning.  I had a hard time dragging my butt out of the warm cozy bed, but then Shorty, who had gotten up and fed the cats, came back to bed and stuck his ice cold feet on me.  Incentive to move along . . .

Well, that's about it.  Have a great Friday, Friends ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Lots of great runs already today. I can add 4 miles to the day's totals. Up at 3:30 to be at the Y for 4:30 to open at 5:00. When I unlocked the doors I was surprised it was just my regular group of early morning folks. Where are all of the people that joined yesterday???  We're  usually swamped the day after New Year's. Anyway, I sit on a stability ball at the front desk instead of a regular office chair. Someone had called about scheduling a racquetball court so I was talking to them on the phone when BOOM!! The seams blew out on the stability ball and I ended up on the floor on my keester. This is a tile floor, and I landed pretty hard. I'm feeling a little sore so I hope nothin' got thrown out of whack. The embarrassing part is this was all captured on the security camera mounted near our entrance. I can't imagine how stoopid this all looked.  I guess good incentive to take some weight off, right?

That's nice TR and Erika got a chance to meet up and run together.

Sorry to hear about your car problems Carolyn. What a rotten way to end a vacation.

Hope you don't get pinkeye too Leslie. All 3 of my grandkids had it a couple of months ago.

Some really great college football games last night. Hope you got a chance to catch some of them. Mandatory watching at this house....

C-R

Hey All.

It's pretty cool to be a coach. Did the mentor thing for LLS a few times and it was enjoyable.

The Alaska group get together sounded like a nice run.

I got 7 today on a dodgy ankle. Not sure how that happened but its not bad just annoying.

Good luck with the gym Paul. My experience seems to recall a huge drop off after Jan 31.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dave59

Treadmill warm-up and then some weights at the gym.  Didn't seem any more crowded than usual at my gym either. I guess everyone is going for the $99/year at Planet Fitness.  Good.  Keep the crowds over there.

Probable 5k tomorrow.  2nd of 4 in the winter series where my only hope is that the fast guys skip one or two of the races.

CNY, bummer about MrCNY's sickness.  deez, nice 10K with 3rd in AG.  henrun &marj, good racing.  fatozzig, the potential trip to Zimbabwe sounds fantastic.  stumpy, love the Frazz cartoon.  evan, neat you and Trackrat got to run together.

Nice long runs for CNY, Mike, Holly, and Tramps.

This morning, it was in the low 20s and there was a light breeze.  I got in 4 miles at a 10:44 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Happy New Year!

Jlynne - ooops!!

I ran yesterday, 6 trail miles on the frozen mud.  I lost my balance and stepped into an icy ditch, and I also rolled both ankles on this run.  I figure that is way more mishaps than usual for one run, and probably because I am out of trail running practice.  There was a lot of walking involved, as I have been resting a messed up knee and only running about once a week.  The knee wasn't that irritated at all after, so I think I can avoid seeing a doc about it for now.  I've got 5 Christmas goodie pounds to lose.  If I can't run, I am going to have to walk fast on my treadmill set at the highest incline.  Ugh, I've only got two pairs of pants that I fit into right now....

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

New skirt in town

Who gets Runner's World?  I'm quoted in this month's article about 12 Habits of Highly Motivated Runners!  Now go get some sunscreen...

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/12-habits-of-highly-motivated-runners?adbid=10152514788391987&adbpl=fb&adbpr=9815486986&cid=socTP_20150102_38122697

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Jlynne - has that shown up on YouTube yet?    I've never seen a stability ball give out before.... guess I need to be careful during my classes for the next while, especially considering the extra weight I gained over the holiday.

I remained a slug today... telling myself that another day off for the hip is a good thing.  Yea, that's the ticket......

Went to the clinic for some blood work and a routine ECG that I've been putting off.  At least now I can book an appointment with my GP with a clear conscience now.

At least I got DH out for a short walk thru the forest trail down the road.  There were plenty of tracks thru, so it's nice to see it's getting some good use.  The conservation authority was trying to close out that particular trail and reroute it down the edge of a field.  Which of course bunned off a few of us locals who've been using it for years, as it's much nicer thru the woods and much better protected from the elements.  I've been taking in a small folding saw and clippers to clear out the deadfalls from last winter's storm.  Sure hope they let us keep it accessible...... and I don't get myself arrested.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!