Masters Running

Tue Feb 12 Runs and Such (Read 600 times)

Good morning, friends. We woke up to 18F temps and 3/4 inch of snow on the ground -- not quite enough to try out our new yaktraks. It was nice and clean and fluffy until the plow came by and put the salt down. Election day here in Maryland, DC and Virginia today -- I'm still thinking about who to vote for -- there are some good choices this year. Workout: 4.1 miles, 8:32/mi, AHR 143 Overall: 5.1 miles, 43:31 Have a great day!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Good morning Lou. Nice run. Choose wisely when you vote. 5.75 very windy miles at 8:53 min/mile pace. Fortunately I noticed the trees and flags whipping around before I started, so I went the opposite way I usually run - to make sure I went into the wind to start and with it coming back. The wind had to be a constant 30 to 35 mph. I felt like I was hardly moving there for the first few miles. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good morning! It was a "Boy meets Dog" kind of morning.... DaveinAA was in town for a lecture at Duke so we arranged a WRFB/PDR type crack of dawn run... with Tory! Mapped out a nice 6 mile route from his hotel to the trails in Duke Forest around the Golf Course. The 1.5 mile road from the hotel to the 3 mile trail was abandoned and well lit. The trail at 5:30 am was lit by city lights reflecting off overcast sky. The light color trail was easy to navigate in the low light. It was really a fun run and Dave got to meet Tory. Dave looked like he was just floating along effortlessly. Here we are: Have great runs!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

DaveinAA is absolultely "glowing" this morning!! Nice way to start the day with a fellow boomer and of course, Tory too!! Nice runs for WRFB in the light snow, and Bill blowing in the wind! Smile We went to the gym last night. I rode 4 miles on the recumbant bike and then concentrated on the lower body for weight work. This morning I was awake well before the alarm as I still fight a headache that started last night. Popped a couple of Advil and was out by 5 a.m. for a 4.5 mile run. Average pace - 11:09 - average HR 163. It was 8 degrees with -5 (or so) windchill. Crunchy snow with some fresh flakes just starting to fall. Another lovely morning. Happy 2s'-Day!! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning everyone!!! Nice easy 10 miler last night in 1:32:15. The weather was a little better at 12 degrees when I started, but only a slight breeze. It started freezing rain about at mile 5, but I was dressed perfectly and comfy. We were suppose to get a lot of ice and snow last night, but woke up to less than an inch. Nice run WRFB and good pace! It's kind of a hard election year with a lot of folk not having a clue who to vote for...including me. Great run Bill battling the crazy winds most of us have be fighting Nice pics Perch, sounds like you guys had a glorious run - the reflectors really show up well Sorry about your headache Mary - glad you got a good run in....in the fresh snow. I love the snow as long theres no ice. That's a high ave HR....what's your max....just curious Wink Have a great day all Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good Morning, Nice runs and great photo from some glowing guys. Thanks for sharing. Five miles for me this AM on a hotel treadmill in Cincinnati. I was tired from travel and some tense stuff with my brother, so I bagged the longer run and just did my best to keep it going. I did ramp up the speed and the incline---1 mile wu and then 4 miles in 28:21 at 2% incline in the third mile---38 minutes overall at 5:30 AM. Driving to Dayton, Ohio this evening and hoping to run with Holly on Wednesday and Thursday! Looks like the predicted storm of doom there was not as bad? Good day and happy voting to all those heading to the polls. I voted by absentee ballot last week and even though I was all by myself in City Hall, it felt powerful (this after listening to my grandmother describe what it was like when women got the right to vote in the first place---she remembers that quite clearly) Enjoy! CNYrunner

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Sorry about your headache Mary - glad you got a good run in....in the fresh snow. I love the snow as long theres no ice. That's a high ave HR....what's your max....just curious Wink
                I don't know Tim - haven't had a chance to push myself and test it yet. I know that my numbers seem high, but I am running very easy and could easily carry on a conversation at that rate. Maybe I'm just weird! Clowning around ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

...very cool perch//........make sure he doesn't take her home with him.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Hill Runner

Good morning, Nice morning to run over here so I took advantage of the nice weather. 10.08 miles of hills @ 9:13 pace. Steve & Dave...looks like you guys had fun this morning... Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                    Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                    Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! WRFB – almost exactly those conditions here when I headed out today. Perch – thanks for the picture of 2 handsome Boomers to start me off with a smile. I expect BOTH of you looked like you were flying along effortlessly. I don’t know about Tory, though, he looks a little scary in that photo….Have you had him checked for demons? Big grin CNYrunner – of course, the news stations were predicting 8-10 inches of snow, and there’s about 2” out there now with 4-6” predicted throughout the morning, but watch out on your drive up for the wintry mix – that ice layer is treacherous. We should have clear roads for our morning run, though. Hill workout on the schedule for today, but heavily falling snow and a light layer already on the ground made it too slick for Big Hill Road, so I did repeats on a less-steep-but-still-challenging ¼-mile hill on the next block. Slippery footing made for slow journeys up the hill, but on the trips down I let loose, remembering advice from CNYrunner, leaning forward and running with childlike abandon. My slight terror that I might slip and fall only added to my exhilaration as I fairly flew down the hill (wheeeeeeee!) – rare moments of running joy…. 10 slow-paced miles in 19 degrees through the light snow, including 8 hill repeats. Snow/ice day for the kids, and my dentist office called to cancel this morning’s appointment, but there’s no getting out of work today for me – trial prep to do for a nasty divorce. Ah well…. Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

The Jogger

Morning All Some really great runs out there already, I don't have a vote but I know who I would vote for, Roll eyes Nice pace Lou, Mary on drugs Smile good to see you making use of the hr monitor, I think I'll get the 305 as oppossed to the new one, price compared to functions has decided it for me. Good to see Dave and Steve get a run in together, great pic. My run today was a strange 6 miler, the polar hr monitor was playing up, showing 170's for an over 11:00 pace then going up hill the pace dropped then I upped the pace and hr hardly changed, I didn't put any gel on it, maybe that was it. So after the first 3m I ignored it and enjoyed the run in nice sunbshine with a nice breeze.My recovery was quick and RHR 46 Anyway 6m 1:06:20 AHR 164 80% splits 11:50, 12:46, 13:20, 10:06, 09:23, 08:52 The last 3 were the best. Good Runs All Roy
                          Good morning, all! Lou - good to see you at the top of the list! Where's PDR? Nice progressive 6.35 mile treadmill run. I'm starting to get used to these mindless runs on the treadmill - it's time to get back to the roads if the weather would cooperate. Looks like another winter blast is going to hit us later today. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Lou - good to see you at the top of the list! Where's PDR?
                            She did run today but was running late when I left the house -- I suppose she'll post from work when she gets a chance.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

The Jogger

Sending over the UK weather to Sue Cool
                                Good morning Boomers. 6 miles on the dreadmill this morning in 54:30. The cold weather moved out (sort of, at least it's not below zero any more) and the snow moved back in. Coming down at a good clip this morning, and we're on the border between the medium and heavy stuff. I feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day - keep waking up to the same weather over and over and over again! Holly - you have WAY too much fun when you run! I wonder what people think when they look out their windows and see you running full speed downhill in the middle of a snowstorm. Great picture, Perch and Dave. Sounds like you had a good run, and Tory kept up as well. Mary, hope your headache is better - sometimes going for a run helps those, don't you think? My DH gets back tonight after a week of golf in warm, sunny Florida. Boy - is he in for a rude awakening!! Good runs all, Jeanne