Masters Running

Tuesday December 16 Master Runs and whatever ... (Read 474 times)

Wow. Wake up sleepy heads! I was going to start the thread at 6:30 AM but decided to get ready for work first. I get to work and STILL no one has started. This morning was an undecided run. I had decided to run 10 miles but couldn't figure out what I wanted to do within it. I thought about 3x1 mile repeats but that sounded painful. I considered just running at an easy pace but that seemed lazy. On this route, there is a "hill" (to me anyway) at about 4.25 miles in. As I started down the backside of the hill I naturally sped up due to gravity. And I just kept going at that higher speed. It felt good and comfortably hard so I let me legs tell me it'd be a tempo/progression run. Overall an excellent run. Perfect running weather. 63F and 83%. 9:55, 9:07, 8:58, 8:49, 8:38, 8:10, 8:00, 8:01, 7:56, and 8:40 to finish up. Avg HR 144. Avg pace 8:37 - MP. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Alright, I'm up. 4 chest-loosening miles in 35 minutes and change- I've been a little under the weather and busy with the cleanup around here. School's canceled again: I'm off to pick up the girls.

Hill Runner

Good morning guys, Nice run Bill...are you thinking about a race in the near future? It's a little warm here this morning & I overdress with a long sleeve T & hat. 57F and very foggy out. 10.14 miles of hills @ 9:15 pace...a little sluggish at the start but I woke up toward the end of the run Smile Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
        Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
        Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Not really Peter. The Miami HM the end of January for sure and maybe the A1A HM in February. But nothing else really. Just trying to keep the condition up and train the body/mind to running at MP. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning Bill and everyone else. "Overall an excellent run" You got that right Bill...greta run there Buddie. Well, it's official, I registered for http://www.rnrseattle.com/ last night Smile Guess I am committed now, even though it makes me nervous not being able to run right now. And yes, I want to run the race, and NOT be a bystander...Albeit, I am not worried about a fast Marathon what so ever...just cover the distance for still another first Marathon attempt...do they have my 16 mile version there I wonder Roll eyes Wow, you guys running Seattle, don't know what ya got yourselves into with the TimBo coming Big grin...I'm sure it will be a blast Cool I couldn't stomach (literally) a swim or pool run last night. But will go tonight to try and tolerate the chlorine and try and stay in decent shape. Sorry you are under the weather Walt...hope you feel better soon! Way to get a few miles in regardless. Another nice run there Peter...Mr Consistency... Have a great day, Timmi

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good morning! I had an early run and now a "late" post. Nice progression run, Bill. It looked like it would be rainy, and the forecast said windy, so I dressed more warmly than necessary. At 41°F, no rain, barely any wind, I could have gotten away with shorts. But no matter. I ran 9 miles or so with 10x20sec striders in miles 6 and 7. 9.3 miles, 1:15, 8:09/mi, AHR 152

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Breger – nice run. I’m at that point of envying your weather again. Smile Timbo – excellent! You’re staying at the party house, too, right? WRFB - wish I'd had your weather today, that's IRC for intervals. 8.2 miles for me today in a breezy 19 degrees, including 7 x ½-mile intervals with 2-minute recoveries. Freezing rain/sleet/ice is forecast for tonight, so I was happy to get in this run while the roads are still dry. Interval paces were: 4:16 (8:32) 4:16 (8:32) 4:18 (8:36) 4:13 (8:26) 4:11 (8:22) 4:12 (8:24) 4:06 (8:13) During the first interval, I was wondering if I would be able to finish 7 of them. During the 5th interval (into the wind), I KNEW I wasn’t going to be able to finish 7 of them. But during the 6th interval (with the wind at my back), my confidence returned. But I have my doubts as to whether I could have done an 8th interval. I felt pretty done. Then I came home and did 60 weighted squats, got to work walked up 12 floors, 2 steps at a time. Trying to hit the lower body work a little harder right now, and spreading it out makes it easier to do more (without walking funny the next day).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good job Holly... 5 easy paced miles for moi...17 degrees...slight breeze out of the North-East...8:07 pace I had to wear shorts over my tights to avoid Boi-freeze...
                  Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                  DickyG

A Russian businessman has trademarked the emoticon..that combination of punctuation marks used to convey a wink in text messages and e-mail. Oleg Teterin, president of the mobile ad company Superfone, said he doesn't plan on tracking down individual users after he was granted the trademark. "I want to highlight that this is only directed at corporations, companies, and businesses that are trying to make a profit without the permission of the trademark holder," he stated. Vladimir Kuzhnestsky, another internet entrepreneur, said "Angry" Evryday:
                    And about the geese flying in a V formation. If you'll notice, one side of the V is usually longer than the other. Do you know why that is? There are more geese on that side.
                    Isn't it obvious I've been training Evryday to take over for me? Kev: Excellent results in your Jingle Bells race...top half overall and AG. Personally, I love running in crowded fields..makes me feel like I'm part of something special...good job. On behalf of Enke: An easy way to go from C to F: 1. Take the C temp and double it 2. Subtract 10% from the result 3. Add 32...the result will be within one degree of the real answer Tammy: Sorry about bad link...but yeah..Cooking Light. Pam subscribes to the mag & she swears by it. Bill: Man, quite an impressive progression run this morning. Peter:
                    Another nice run there Peter...Mr Consistency...
                    Mr. Consistency...yeah...you got that right....and TomS also. Lou: Nice effort for you too...your HR is better than mine and I'm only doing 4-5 miles. Holly: I don't see how you did all that..I need a nap just thinking about it. Temps here warmed up to about 60...also helped loosen up my congestion. Did a fairly comfortable 4 miles...didn't push it too hard...37:39 (9:25). I'll get in a few more tonight then I'm off on biz to Alabama until Sunday...I'll be able to run but don't know when I'll be able to post (insert your own joke about Alabama and internet service at your own risk). DickyG

Marathon Maniac #957

On behalf of Enke: An easy way to go from C to F: 1. Take the C temp and double it 2. Subtract 10% from the result 3. Add 32...the result will be within one degree of the real answer
                      That's easy?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Prince of Fatness

C = 5/9(F-32) F = 9/5(C) + 32 Now if I could only remember my kids' names. Or just cheat and Google it. Enter 80 f in c in the search box and see what you get, for example.

Not at it at all. 

King of PhotoShop

Already this morning's posts are instructive. Notice that Bill ensures his final mile is a nice easy cooldown mile, and not an all-out pace before heading into the house. Holly, you may start experimenting with a redesign of that interval workout, aiming toward keeping the recovery interval at no longer than a minute for all work sessions of 1,000 meters or less. This may entail running them a tad slower. If you had a very difficult time with the last one or two sessions you may have set the pace too fast. As for me, I am askeered to go out there! Colder today than yesterday with many school openings delayed due to ice. It's 29 here. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #3309

Yes Holly, I am staying at the Party House....but Erika has me and tet sleeping in some shed outside in sleeping bags...she said she doesn't trust us....and yikes, I don't trust tet Tongue Big grin Timmi

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice thing about Tuesday is all the great runs since it it usually tempo/intervals day for many. Bill.. Nice progression run. I love those, you feels stronger and stronger as the run progresses. Tim... great to have a goal to get you through rehab! June is a long way away so that should work! Garmin said I ran 8.05 miles at 8:05 pace... cool. Inside the run was 2 miles at 9:22 with Tory and 6.05 at 7:47 with 5 at 7:39 pace (tempo portion). For some reason my tempo is stuck at 7:39 (my half marathon Dec 2nd, last weeks tempo and this weeks tempo.. all 7:39 pace.. wierd) It was a foggy 55F this morning.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #3309

Already this morning's posts are instructive. Notice that Bill ensures his final mile is a nice easy cooldown mile, and not an all-out pace before heading into the house.
                                Ribs (or anyone else), I have to admit I always finish my faster runs hard, to try and keep my average pace up till the end. But I always briskly walk for atleast a 1/2 mile or so after each run....is that good enough? Or should I slow down the last mile of running? Hey, probably my first real comment or question about running in over 6 weeks Cool Tim