Masters Running

Tue Jan 6 Runs and etc (Read 470 times)

We got back from Austin Sunday night -- still catching up... I miscalculated and woke up 1/2 hour later than I should have this morning, but still got my planned run in. 8.1 miles, 1:05:05, 8:00/mi, AHR 155 -- including 10x20sec striders

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

That's the way to adjust when you sleep late Lou. Just run a half hour faster! Today was a planned Interval session of 2 x 2 miles at 5K pace with 1/4 mile RI between. I found this a bit daunting and almost changed it to mile repeats or something similar. But decided to give it a go. 9 miles altogether at 8:30 pace. The 2 x 2's came in at 14:50 (7:25 per) and 14:40 (7:20 per). Not quite 5K PR pace but darn close. Looks like I'm ready for a 5K PR attempt. Bill ETA: DW and I will be going up to Orlando this weekend to meet Erika and her DH. It'll be strange to not be running and just cheering. If anyone else is going to be running Disney let me know!

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Nice runs Lou & Bill, I like that...get up late, run faster! Wink Bil you certainly look like your ready for a PR attempt with all of your runs of late. As ususal I was running late yesterday as well, so I ended up doing my 5 miler as a progression run: 36:03 - 7:13 (7:52 - 7:41 - 7:24 - 6:52 - 6:14) then it was off to Yoga and then home to relax with DW for a bit. Still no further news on the home front with or son, he is scheduled for extensive tests this week. His personal physician doesn't believe he had meningitis and also doesn't believe he had a seizure...both good news if it pans out. But still a bit confusing as to what might be going on. Have a great day everyone, oh and Erika enjoy that Florida weather I hope it isn't too warm for the race though. If you remember Brian from NY he's running Disney as well and heads down on Thursday I believe.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Morning... Boy, I really wish I was posting a run like you guys are doing this morning....great job to you....not so much for me. Not much more to say....but I am reading every post of the daily, just not responding much right now. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice runs! Byll.. go get em in a 5K!! Similar run as Lou's today.... GA run but in the rain (50F, shorts, tee and cap). 8.0 miles in 1:06:47 (8:20 pace, AHR 151). It was hard getting out there after lying in bed listening to the pelting rain. I just find that depressing and de-motivating. Once out it was ok but more focus on dodging the big puddles than pace. Several strides were thrown in. 40 lunges after. (Tory slept... smart doggie) have great runs!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Ran late last night no time to post. 2 miles on tm @5.5 mph, will run later this afternoon when temp is in the 20's. Also lifted last night and this morning at work. Bench press 65/20,95/15, 135/10, 165/5, Flat flyes10/20,15/15,20/10, kneeups 20x2, lat pulls 50/20x2,75/15, super set tri-ext45/10 and upright rows x2. I must get mid section under control again in order to get back to old fitness level.

Hill Runner

Good morning, Nice running out there today guys. Like Perch said, we had heavy rain here this morning & last night in NC. Actually it's been a pretty wet season so far. No run for me today. I usually run every other day anyway...the rain was a good excuse...but it's going to rain tomorrow again. Roll eyes I'd better get used to it. Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

King of PhotoShop

I'm off to the Y for more core stuff. Twocat, not at all. I was making a general comment about the combined consciousness of all of us regarding injuries and did not have you in mind at all, nor anyone else. Most of those critical comments were based on my own dumb experiences. I also appreciated the comments from you and Tramps about competition. Competitors push, and as a result, they get hurt. That's part of what makes us runners. Meg, regarding those long runs, a runner of your caliber should think less about "is it 19 or 20 miles" etc., and more about time. So for the middle distance runner, the two-hour run is a bread and butter long run, and as you can see from the posters here, this would vary from an 11 mile run to a 16 mile run (a la PBJ). For the average marathoner, the three-hour run is the equivalent, and you can easily see that distances would vary there also. As a sub-3 hour marathoner, the 3 hour run would give you well over 20 miles once you are in race condition. I am not trying to suggest what you should do, but I am suggesting that many people would be well-advised to think in terms of time on the road during the LR, rather than mileage first. I am excited about two great people here getting together in FL. Erika and Bill are two of the finest here and it is fitting that they will have an opportunity to spend time together. I reek with jealousy! Have fun both of you. Spareribs
                  Mariposai

pre-dawn run for the posie here. 4 @9:40. I was scheduled to do intervals today, but I have to be at work early, so I decided to do intervals tomorrow. Ribs, I second your opinion on time on your feet for the LRs.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Prince of Fatness

I am not trying to suggest what you should do, but I am suggesting that many people would be well-advised to think in terms of time on the road during the LR, rather than mileage first.
                      Here is a spirited conversation regarding the need for 20 milers when preparing for a marathon.

Not at it at all. 

Renee the dog

Hallelujah! (as my 4 yr old would say). I finally figured out what's the crux of my back spasm that was also affecting my leg. VACUUMING! Yep. Guess I gotta stop that now so I can keep running. Double-hallelujah! Big grin

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

dg.

good morning! Nono.... yippee. Sorry to break it to you... that also means no snow shoveling. 30 min. prehab.
                          Tramps

Yucky cold (34F) drizzle this morning. I managed to avoid most of it during a 7.2 miler at about MP, 7:56. Thanks for the link MrPHinNJ. (I love the "19-milers don't count"! Big grin) To follow up on yesterday's good discussion of injuries, here's the second in my 2009 occasional series of "motivation/inspiration for the rest of us" Wink

Be safe. Be kind.

#artbydmcbride

Great poster Tramps! Big grin I ran at Signal Hill last night with friends, it was cold, dark and I think a lot steeper than usual! 6 miles of hard work, ahhhhh! Smile

Runners run

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice poster, Tramps! I liked your post at the end of yesterday's thread; I'm not a competitive person either, and don't push myself very hard in my running. But unlike you, I'm also genetically challenged, and wouldn't be a fast runner even if I tried. So I'm happy running for fitness and fun, don't mind the mediocrity, and have never had a serious running injury. Like the despair.com poster says, "If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly." Although I'll admit I'd like to run faster, so if I only had an hour to run I could fit in an 8-miler! Breeger, we're all jealous that you get to hang out with the ice princess at Disney! But unlike Spareribs, the rest of us don't "reek" with jealousy! Big grin Maine, you're seriously fast! I have the utmost respect for those of you who wake up early to the sound of rain, think about staying under the warm covers, and decide to get up and run anyway. Perch, at least you had warm rain - I think cold rain would be tough to dress properly for. It never rains here in the winter - all precipitation comes as snow from about October till April. Good runs, all! It's supposed to be in the 40's again today in Denver (and 60's by Thursday!) so I'm looking forward to my usual lunchtime runs this week. It's not nearly that warm at home in the mountains - one of the nice things about living/working in different climates!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.