Masters Running

Thu Mar 6 Runs and Workouts (Read 613 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Ribs Big grin Nice 6 Magical Healing Miles in Conover, NC this morning. Avgd 9:04 pace with AHR 146. My back ist still sore from what ever I did to it in AZ. Hopefully this will pass soon. It doesn't affect running but is uncomfortable the rest of the time. Was it the initiation plunge in the ice cold pool that cause muscle cramping Confused

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Some nice runs already today. Today’s workout: 2.3 mile WU, followed by 4 trips up and over Big Hill Road (3.2 miles), then 1 mile at tempo (8:23), then 4 miles at an easy pace, for a total of 11.05 miles. Good things about today’s run: 30 degrees – not hateful I didn’t walk at all on the hills I didn’t feel quite so sluglike and stiff Vista - it struck me as odd that you would think of me as competitive; I really don’t think of myself that way at all. Perhaps because I don’t consider myself one of the “naturally gifted” runners, but more of a hard-working-tortoise type, I never feel that I am competing in races with the “real” runners. (I am NOT fishing for compliments here, just sharing my feelings on this.) My BQ was probably more of a surprise to ME than anyone. My motivation is not about beating other runners, but about self-discovery and personal bests. I think the reason my running accomplishments mean so much to me is precisely that it doesn’t come naturally or easily, but only through hard work and perseverance. Look at Holly, slow-pokey, never-been-particularly-good-at-athletic-things, watch her achieving things she never dreamed she was capable of... That’s what it’s all about for me. Smile Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Head cold is now a chest cold so I'm taking another day off. Great experiment idea from spareribs! I wish I heard about it while I still had a dog. Smile I wonder how it work with a cat? My guess is that the cat would just pretend it never happened.

Morning all. Up early to get DS off on the bus so DD can sleep in. DS and I are suffering big time with hay fever suddenly. Allergist website says its juniper and cedar at peak pollen levels. March is usually the worst for us. Made the annual appts. yesterday and picked up the first round of Claritin D last night. Joy. I finished my run yesterday and went directly into the running store to register for the half. Standing there, I gradually went into full allergic reaction mode -- itchy eyes, legs, everywhere. Eventually, my body calmed down. Must've had a good hefty dose of pollen while running. Vista, I got a huge kick out of your thoughts yesterday. I really don't consider myself competitive either, but you have to understand, though I've been a runner two decades, I came into racing very, very late. So, I'm still enjoying this new aspect. I race against myself, though. I get a lot of personal satisfaction out of trying my very best in each race. I can feel like a crummy mom, lawyer and wife (well, no worries there anymore..), but when I give it my all in a race, I feel a huge high. Someone once said (maybe George Sheehan?) that as runners, we are somewhat cursed with feeling only as "worthy" as our last best run. We measure our sense of worth by it. It may be a (sad) truth, but I think it gets us going many days, too. Feeds the addiction. And so it feeds the drive to race, too. Ribs, very disappointed to hear you don't like dogs! Shocked I have a rule of thumb about people who don't like dogs. They have to make good with me in other ways to compensate for that defect. Wink Will head out for 10-12 easy today.
          Mariposai

Ribs does not like dogs? uhhhhhhhh Vista, I will be your assistance if you want to organize a track race among the goddess mentioned yesterday. We can all party afterwards, right? Soundie,Tet, and enkie... I will be so closed to you tomorrow and won't be able to see you Cry. Maybe next time I will request a hotel in downtown Seattle instead at SeaTac so we can cook up a get-together. Since this is a cut back week for me I decided to take the day off from running today. Specially since I am still pampering this asthma thingie. Besides, I am still enjoying the magical 9 miles I ran last night chasing the sunset. Off to work and then travel to Seattle for a health board meeting tomorrow. Happy running to all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Mary, you are my role model running out in the cold and snow every day. Do you still run with Brinkley? No fears about running alone in the dark? I hope you run in a safe area. Still below Jeanne
              Thanks Jeanne! Just the other day, my daughters were telling me that I have to start running with Brinkley again as he is getting fat!! See - it even happens to dogs - but he is really not fat, just not too skinny anymore. He'll be going with me again as soon as the snow melts - whenever that may be!! Ribs!!! Roy - Is it your birthday tomorrow?? You're gonna love the 305! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Little voice in my head last night kept telling my body to run more miles, stick to the schedule, but my body said, enough already! The body is smarter, listen to it! 8 miles on the DM instead of the planned 10 to 12. Son is still sick, poor guy.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Yeah, Ribs, what's with not liking dogs? You're not a cat person, are you??? And your experiment might be equally interesting with husbands. Big grin Twocat, enjoy your belated birthday celebration tonight. Speaking of birthdays, Roy, didn't you say the new garmin was for your 50th? Is that tomorrow? Hava a happy one!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I haven't run yet, but I'm really looking forward to it. I'm going to the Y at lunch to run 6 miles on the treadmill AND watch the Red Sox, as their exhibition game with the Dodgers is on ESPN starting at 11 am here! La La La! Soundie--Aveeno makes a calming face lotion lotion, and also oatmeal body lotion and bath salts that help a bit. I sympathize. grins, A p.s. Dogs make people live in the world better than they otherwise would. Dave--after being locked anywhere, a cat would give you "the big ignore" for a period of time commeasurate with the lockdown, e.g., one hour of lockdown= 4 hours of being ignored by the cat.....unless a mealtime occurs during that period, or course.
                    Masters 2000 miles
                      Good Morning all, One Hour and 14 minutes of floating footsteps in Phoenix, AZ at 7 AM---51F, running Northward with mountains and palm trees all around. Part of my run followed the Crosscut Canal bike path and the rest through neighborhoods. I have no idea what the distance was, but I'll call it eight with a smile. There was no evidence of relay racers, but a light feeling all around (must have been my newly shaved and exposed legs!). Healing vibes to all on the mend or feeling sick. Spareribs, I was all ready to cheer aloud about the absence of foot pain and then you told the dog joke. Oy! Of course when you come back to open the trunk, nobody will be there----Wives are far too smart to stay in there---I would be long gone with the dog in search of....well, this is a family channel, yes? Okay, it was sort of funny. As to the whole competitive thing....that has me thinking as well. I compete mostly with myself and yet love the rush of adrenaline that comes about on the starting line and mourn the finish of the race almost in postpartum fashion. I walk around in a fugue state after marathons at times. Vista, you are correct in that I am more laid back about it all in an overall way. I competed pretty intensely when I was younger and am just so grateful that the body parts still work and I can run and race. I was much faster when I was younger and yet I am stronger now as a masters runner. Anyway, it's all good to think about (never mind that I scream my fool head off at my son's hockey games----my competitive streak has been transferred to the kiddo). Okay...time to get hermitically sealed in a hotel conference room for the rest of the day. No more Phoenix sun until tomorrow. CNYrunner
                        No run for me yet today, that will have to wait until after school and play practice. Spareribs, thanks for a great laugh today. With all the injured and sick boomers here thought I would pass along this link: http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny-walt-babyboomers-blurb,0,1036393.blurb
                          Today isn't a running day but I never posted yesterday's run. My mother in law has rallied a slight bit but the end still appears to be near. In addition to that, yesterday my father in law had a pace maker implanted so the family was together over both concerns. Everything went well with his procedure but it was a busy day. I read the post about the Ragner Relay and it sounded like a lot of fun. The pictures were neat. roch, hang in there as you recover from your leg problems. spareribs, belated congrats to Joe on his fine marathon. Also, my wife and I got a good laugh over the dog/wife discussion. enke, sorry to hear that your son was home 3 days with a fever. Dave, sorry to hear about your bug/cold. eliz, congrats on your 2 year running anniversary. mariposai, it sounds like you had a glorious run. Nice long runs for peter, sue, evan, biketm, perch, breger(with speedwork), peter (again), CNY (with speedwork), PDR, WRFB, biketm (again), peter ( another), dtoce, and Holly. Nice job on the speedwork for Holly, enke, and Twocat. Yesterday, it was in the mid 20s with some wind. The roads were nearly ice free and I got in 8 miles in a little under 1:17 for a 9:35 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

No run for me yet today, that will have to wait until after school and play practice. Spareribs, thanks for a great laugh today. With all the injured and sick boomers here thought I would pass along this link: http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny-walt-babyboomers-blurb,0,1036393.blurb
                            Oh, my goodness, that is funny! Too true...
                            seemomgo

Busy day on the board today!! Ribs - thank you for your daily wit. I look forward to your posts as they make me smile, laugh, snork and enjoy the moment! Tselb - you have a lot going on. You are such a good man to all of us on this board that I can only imagine how strong and supportive you must be to your family. On my way out to the garage for my 6 treadmill miles. I am listening to Air Supply. How pathetic is that? I'm all outta love.....I'm so lost without you.......

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

quote from evan on 2/4
                                Hi Tetsujin! I have missed you over the winter! Hope I get to run with you this year!!!!
                                evan - arigatou, me too and all your lower forty-eight fans. I can't tell you about it until after your inaugural Boston Marathon next month, but we do have some plans for you. Big grinBig grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)