Masters Running

Mike E's Green Bay Half Marathon...and Whole Dang Weekend Report (Read 30 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I hope it's okay that I post a race report on just a half marathon but this was an event that I looked forwarded to...a whole lot...and dreaded...a whole lot...at the same time, and I thought I would share it with my friends.

As you know, I mainly registered for this race because I wanted to meet Jlynne and Slo Hand.  Then, when Ryan and Larva agreed to go, I was even more excited.  And then...I realized I had already purchased tickets to the Billy Joel concert for Ryan, Eric and me and we were really excited for that.  (What made it exciting for me was that Eric was excited for it).  And, as you know, the concert was the night before the race.  All of a sudden, I felt like I had ruined both events.  But, luckily, we decided to continue with our plans.

The weekend, actually, started out on Friday night with Ryan doing a show with his singing partner...they call themselves Red and the Dreads.  Ryan has written a few songs, he plays the guitar and harmonica, and sings.  It was just a small show at a coffee shop but it was pretty cool to watch him perform...but, it was a late night.

Saturday morning, Larva took two of her kids to a 1 mile race that, I'm kind of glad she didn't tell me about because I would have gotten up earlier to go watch.

But, Missy's twins were in the semi-finals of the State Cup (soccer)...which I did go to.  Of course the game went into overtime and then to penalty kicks...which they ended up winning...but was pretty intense...and stressful.  

My my grandaughters are in the front row--right end and 3rd from right.

While sitting there, I developed a splitting headache.  When I got home, I had about an hour before I had to leave to pick up the boys so I lay down to try to get rid of it but it didn't do much good.

Ryan, Eric, and I went to an Italian restaurant so we could do a little carbo-loading.  Then we went to the concert.  Billy Joel was great.  Ryan had a great time...Eric slept 3/4 of the time.  I guess he had stayed out late the night before...but he made a big deal of thanking me for the evening.

The concert ended about 11:15, I dropped Eric off at his house (the other house we just bought), picked up Larva, and headed toward Green Bay around 12:30.  My head was pounding pretty badly so Ryan took over the driving right outside of Minnesota.  Even though I never really slept, it was nice to be able to close my eyes and not have to concentrate on driving...until the thick fog rolled in, then we were all concentrating on helping Ryan stay on the road.

We made it into Green Bay around 5:30, then found a convenient store to buy some oatmeal, bananas, and stuff.  We then, headed to Lambeau to find a parking place and wait for Jlynne to bring us our race packets.  We met Jeanne and her friend and talked for a very short time...which I still feel really bad about.  We were pretty lucky to have her pick up our stuff because there was no race day pick up.  I am very grateful.

Shoot!  We took picture with Jeanne, but not with my camera!  Dang it!

Here's Ryan, me, and Larva...

Anyway...Ryan and I said our goodbyes to Larva and headed to our corral for the start of the race.  Ryan had not trained at all for this race...he couldn't even remember the last time he went for a run....and I was going to teach him a lesson.  "I don't care what you've done in your high school and college careers...you're not going to beat me without training!"  I'm glad I kept that thought to myself.  We were clipping along okay...not quite as fast as I had hoped...but, considering everything, I was okay with it. Then, for some reason, after we passed mile 7, I was thinking we only had 5 miles to go.  When we got to mile 8, I realized...crap...now, we have 5 miles to go...and that just got me down.  I'm pretty sure we hit some rollers about that time too, and I wasn't doing very well anymore.  Ryan tried to get me going, but I told him to go and catch as many guys as he could...and he took off.  I think that was the most fun part of the race for me...seeing him run. Have I ever told you guys how much I love watching Ryan run?

Well, I hung on for dear life...I wasn't concerned about my time anymore...I just didn't want to lose whatever age group place I had put myself in.  When an older guy flew by me in the last two miles, I tried so hard to stay with him, but just didn't have it.  Luckily, he was in the younger 50 to 54 age group.

Running through Lambeau seemed different, this time.  I'm almost positive we went the other direction last time and I don't remember all the spectators being in there.   And they had some kind of mat down, too...I remember concrete before.  Anyway...I never even considered trying to spit on the field, this time...these people and this race didn't deserve anything like that...besides...I was well aware that I was surrounded by Packer fans and that point, I wouldn't have been able to outrun any of them.

It was, probably, only a quarter of a mile to the finish line after getting out of the stadium, but it looked like it was a whole lot farther...and it felt like it was even farther than it looked!  Anyway...I finished...and I did end up winning my age group...with a not so great time.

Okay--a little bit about the organization of this race--as much as I hate dishing out compliments to a Green Bay event--I wish every race committee would take advice from these people.  Everything that I complained about in my last marathon--they got it right.  Every single water station had Gatorade--in Gatorade cups--at the first half of the line and water at the second half.  And if they had energy gels or other food, that was given out well in advance of the water tables.  Also--I think every homeowner along the course was out cheering us on...with many of them turning on their sprinklers for us to run through.  My only complaint is that they couldn't tell me my place and, because I was waiting for Larva to finish, I missed out on receiving my award...but that was more my fault than theirs.  Seriously--this is a top-notch organized race.  Now, I think I'm going to puke.

Larva struggled.  We were actually getting kind of worried about her.  Ryan ended up going back to the car to see if we had missed her somehow.  But I did get to see her finish and she put on a decent push down the shoot.  And then I lost her again while she went through the finishers' area.  I actually saw Jeanne but didn't dare wave her down, because I was afraid I'd miss Larv...and then I started wondering if she might have gone to the medical tent.  But, Ryan called and said she was at the car and by that time, Jeanne was out of sight.  I looked around the area trying to find her for a little bit but Larv had to be back home for a 5:00 soccer practice...and a 6:30 soccer practice.  So, we took off.

We had a fun time driving home....in the rain a lot of the time...but we had a good time. Larva gave me an hour to lie down and try to recover a little bit before I took over the driving duties for the rest of the way.  Ryan slept for a little while but mostly the three of us talked and it became the trip that I had imagined it would be.  I just love spending time with those two kids.

After dropping off the kids, I went home, put away all my stuff, took a shower, ate, went to bed at 7:15, and was asleep by 7:16.

This really was a first class event and I would recommend it to anybody who wants to do the marathon or half marathon.  I will be back for sure...and I promise to check my calendar before I register.  Hey--anybody up for a relay?

Okay--that's it--see ya!

New skirt in town

Holy cow, I'm exhausted just READING that report! Bravo for managing to cram in so many activities, and living to tell the tale.  And an AG award to boot!  It sure does sound like you are ready to ROCK an overnight relay event, just sayin'.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

It was, probably, only a quarter of a mile to the finish line after getting out of the stadium, but it looked like it was a whole lot farther...and it felt like it was even farther than it looked!  Anyway...I finished...and I did end up winning my age group...with a not so great time.

As usual, you sell yourself short Mike. To win your AG on virtually no sleep after the Billy Joel concert and driving through the night to get to the race, AND finish in the top 30 men overall was pretty damn impressive in my book! And I'm glad you were okay with the organization of the race. Everyone was a little nervous after Sean Ryan stepped down as RD, but I think Larry Lueck did a heck of a job. The only thing I don't like about this race is the late start time for the half marathoners.

I do hope you'll come back next year - and spend more time. you missed my pasta party, and it would have been nice to have that beer with you, Ryan and Lori after the race. I looked for you all around the finish line, but I ran so slow this year I figured you were all long gone. Hopefully you'll defend your title next year, and we can get Slo and maybe some our other RA friends to come and run it too.

Like Robin said, I'm exhausted just READING about your weekend! Congratulations on a great race!

wildchild

Carolyn

Dang, MIke!  That sounds like an epic weekend all the way around.

Way to win your AG on no sleep!  And Ryan sure runs fast on no training and no sleep!    Glad you got to meet Jlynne and spend some quality time with Ryan and Larva.  Thanks for the RR!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

an amazing likeness

Beyond being an amazingly accomplished speed-demon runner, you do more stuff in a weekend than I squeeze into 6 months. Yikes!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

MM #7877

Enjoyable read, sounds like a wonderful weekend. Love the boys dred-locks!

Philippians 4:13.

pfriese

Nice RR. Sounds like you had a great weekend. You sure packed a lot in. Congrats on your AG win.

Paul

Mta: Red & the Dreads, that's a great name. I wish I had done dreadlocks at some point in my youth.

BlazinCajun

Really enjoyed the read and thank you for sharing your family with us. You are really very humble and that is a rare trait these days. Congratulations!

Andrew
                  ------------------
                  God, my Lord, is my strength;
                  he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                  and enables me to go upon the heights.
                  Hb 3:19

Marathon Maniac #957

Holy cow, I'm exhausted just READING that report! Bravo for managing to cram in so many activities, and living to tell the tale.  And an AG award to boot! 

My thoughts exactly!  What an awesome weekend, though, (except for the headache and the lack of sleep), and you definitely made some special memories for all of you.  And congratulations on winning your AG - although that is no surprise to me at all.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

What fun!  (well, you know you'll just forget the few kinks).  Really a memorable, most outstanding weekend and excellent report.

Yes, thanks for sharing your family.

I'm really glad you pushed through and did it all.  Bet your kiddoes remember it for all time ("remember the weekend when dad had us going to the concert and then driving to the race on no sleep.....".)    You will get big points at the Home for Aging Runners when you get there!

Congrats on the AG win.  Maybe they'll mail it to you (is it a Packer gizmo of some sort?  I mean, one can only hope!)

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Wow Mike....bet you slept pretty good when you got home.  What a great weekend with your kids!  And great running....and a great report.  Sorry about the headache.....but to be expected when you had so much on your plate.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

mrrun

Great report and w/e Mike!  I know what fun it is to run a race with children, having run two half's with both DD & DIL and there's nothing better!

You need to do another on the east coast so we can meet again,

marj