Masters Running

Thu Nov 20 Runs, Nonruns, Workouts and Nonworkouts (Read 668 times)

I set out for GA today and ended up with a pace I don't have a category for, too fast for "GA" and too slow for "tempo". It was a bit faster than MP but I already have too many categories. I ended up with a PBJ special, well on the slow side. I admit I did consider putting the HRM on upside down but that wasn't going to happen. Smile 8.2 miles, 1:04, 7:53/mi, AHR 154 I was wondering, do the nonrunners mostly crosstrain by not doing a workout in the gym, by not riding a bike or by not swimming? Um, maybe it's a faux pas for the noninjured to joke about it Roll eyes Seriously, I'm hoping the walking wounded all get better soon. This is a great fun and a wonderful attitude, but we're pulling for you to get back on the road.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Geez Lou - Here I thought you were a team player!! Wink Out for 4 miles this morning with Brinkley at 9:44 pace. About 30 degrees with a strong wind out of the North. Winter storm warnings posted for today and tonight. I had a bit of a scare this morning. As I got toward the end of our dirt road, all of a sudden there was a man walking in the opposite direction on the other side of the road. Totally in dark clothing, carrying clothing too - like jeans rolled up. SO, this was on my mind as I knew I still had to run back down this road to get home. On the way home, I was just on high alert. There was a car parked where a few park to go out deer hunting, so I just veered to the opposite side of the road and high tailed it home. Never saw anyone, but I'm sure that helped elevate my HR this morning. Gotta go start my chicken noodle soup before I leave for work ....

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice runs Mary and Lou! I had a nice warm, shirtless non-run this morning... ahhh.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

An early five for me today. Snow is still coming off the Great Lakes so I kept it pretty slow and easy. Footing was a little bit of an issue in spots, but overall not too bad. Great big flakes that are very pretty right now. WRFB I think you are playing with fire joking about nonworkouts but I think you are the kind of guy that likes to live on the edge. Have a great day all.
            OK I know this is Thursday, but once again I got tied up after my run last evening so here is yesterday's speed workout with Joel: Wednesday - 8.65 miles total - 1:07:16 - 7:47 - Avg HR 124 Max HR 158 - Cloudy, windy & a cold 30 degrees, (windchill was down around 20). 2.5 mile w/up followed by 8 x .5 mile intervals w/about 1:45 recovery jogs followed up w/a .75 mile cool down. Intervals: 1 - 3:07 - 124 / 144 2 - 3:07 - 139 / 147 3 - 3:04 - 143 / 150 4 - 3:04 - 136 / 151 5 - 3:00 - 143 / 156 6 - 2:58 - 143 / 154 7 - 2:57 - 149 / 156 8 - 2:53 - 150 / 158 The only complaint I have about this run was that my thumbs were about frozen...I brought but failed to wear my fleece mittens over my running gloves...I know better than that! Angry
              Fresh snow and 20F so off to the gym I went. 4 miles on treadmill middle 2 at HM pace. Half on Sunday in Cleveland. Hoping the roads are clear. Maybe I should have practiced my snow running this morning. Roll eyes Group ran of 3.5 miles on a paved trail last night, the snow makes it pretty light out but it was still difficult to locate the ice but no injuries. We spotted at least 9 deer and this is in an urban park. Twocat I was having hip trouble in Fall of 2005, I was diagnosed with trocanter bursiitis (sp.?) I took the shot and therapy. 3 years later it is still almost a daily battle to keep it from coming back. After MRI, doctor said my hip flexers are too thick causing them to rub a lot, moderate pain comes and goes but it doesn't let me forget. I've kept my mileage down below 40 MPW and only do a full marathon every other year. Apparently I've always had the problem but it didn't surface until I went to over 40 MPW during my 1st marathon training. I suffered bad through that marathon, I wish I had gone to the doctor when the pain started. The hamstrings are important in helping to keep the knee and hip properly in line. My hip problem started after I ran through a couple weeks of very sore hamstring. Probably related and sounds like yours too? Anyway that's my experience with hip bursiitis. Get well soon! I just read dg reply from last night and I agree get the shot!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Hill Runner

Good morning all, No shirtless running here this morning... Smile 10.19 miles of hills @ 8:59 pace on a brisk, sunny morning. I saw lots of deer today. Healing vibes {{{Twocat}}} and everyone else who is still on the DL. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

DickyG

Checking back in after spending a few days in the DC area taking care of our grandson while daughter is in Ariz on a biz trip. I'll post a couple pics when I figure out how to download off of Pam's camera. Got in a couple runs on the Capital Crescent Trail, a paved path that winds its way throughout the area. There is an entrance only a couple blocks from daughter's home...I would get on, run a couple miles, turn around, & head back. Got in about 4.4 miles each day. Exciting news: For my birthday, Queen Pam got me a Garmin Forerunner 405! I set it up & took it out for one run. Haven't run with the heart monitor yet or downloaded the software...mainly fooled around with the settings, read (actually, tried to read) the manual, etc. But now that I have one, I am an official superstud jock like everyone else. I'll catch up on the past few days dailies later. My jokes will resume tomorrow... SupercoolG

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning everyone... Lou, while non running is hard, I and others have tried to keep a positive attitude, and trying to be funny about it at least helps me....sorta. Well Mary, my HR monitor worked fine last night cycling, while wearing it upside down....so my suspicions were true Tongue Sweet shirtless non run Steve...just throw in an injury to make it even more enjoyable Clowning around Yeah Craneium, I was highly offended by Lou's remarks Smile I take this "non" running seriously Tongue As always, nice run Bob with speed work..hope the thumbs thaw out. Nice run Sarge, in the cold temps....on the dreadmill. Good luck on your 1/2 Sunday Oh Peter, come on...shirtless is in...it's a new fad that I am leading the cause on Cool Posting yet another "non" run with speedwork, whew - Then one mind numbing hour on my cycling trainer last night - and on day 18 of this "non" running foolishness Angry TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Pleasant 4.3 miles for me last night. Windy, but in the 40's. MaineIf I posted only on the day that I ran, I would never post. I am always a day late! I guess I work on computers all day, and rarely want to fire it up in the evening when I usually run. r2farm Good to see you over here on the daily. Welcome! I live near you in Iowa and am a city-girl now, but grew up a farm girl. wildchild We usually get our tree Thanksgiving weekend, but will probably run a week late this year because of family and committments over that weekend. I don't actually get enough of our tree and since we cut a live tree, it seems a waste to put it up for just a week or so. One tradition that we do have is to wait till Christmas eve to put the presents out...after the kids are in bed. I think when I was a kid, it was because my Mom was still wrapping until then, but now it's such fun to watch the kids get up and look at all the presents anew with wonder in their eyes.
                      Tramps

But now that I have one, I am an official superstud jock like everyone else.
                        Welcome to the club. Wink I got a late start so I had to trim my scheduled 10-miler down to 7.5 miles @ 7:51. 36F, IRC. Gotta get some work done today.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mary, you're braver than me this morning. I put on my running clothes, took one step outside, came back inside, put on shorts and drove to the Y. It was 19F with 30 mph winds out of the north. Not quite ready for that yet! 6 miles on the treadmill, 9:45 pace. Why is it so much harder to run on a treadmill than outside? At least I got in a good 45 minutes of weights and ab work after my run. Then, I got on the scale. Dead Up 4 pounds the week before Thanksgiving...not good news! Looks like all those lattes from Starbucks and extra helpings of pasta have found a new home on my hips. Some great runs this morning. Perch, nice shirtless run - wish we had some of that warm weather. Tim - how are you doing? It's great you haven't lost your sense of humor, because I know how hard this must be for you. Dicky G - welcome back. Congratulations on your new Garmin! That's on my Christmas wish list, but with the stock market the way it is, I'll be lucky to get a new Timex! Have a great day, everyone.
                            Only got in 3 miles this morning as T was having "issues"...8:16 pace...seemed like I just felt warmed up then we stopped... Mariposai-My race in Spokane is on Dec.13th at 11:30 AM(masters)...The open race is at 1:30 PM...Got my spiffy new uniform yesterday
                            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                              Cold here too, and it's especially hard after our 79 degree Tuesday. Gym for me and I'll be hanging with the non-runners for a bit to give my hamstrings some well-deserved rest, I think! So whaddaya think, should we go out behind the garage and smoke or somethin' whilst these crazies go run in the cold? Roll eyes grins, A
                              Masters 2000 miles
                              Mariposai

I had a nice warm, shirtless non-run this morning... ahhh.
                                this post is worthless without a picture Tongue Is it Thursday already? wow...time is flying this week. I have another 12 hour shift ahead of me, but I will take my lunch hour to go for a recovery run. Track workout last night was fun Yes I second what Lou said, we do hope that the injured friends are back on the road soon. We are there for you guys. Please don't think that we are diminishing your situation with all the jokes. You guys are terrific. Aamos, how is your DH doing?. Health wise and spirit wise....and how are you? I think hopeful's picture is very kullllllll

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard