Masters Running

Chilly Monday, 12.8.14 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Welcome back, WC!

Good luck with #21 and your knee, Enke. Good luck at the doc, MS. Good luck with the wet MP3 player, Holly. Good luck cleaning out DS1's room, Evanflein.

My goal yesterday was to work in the yard till 3pm, then read/nap/relax. I failed, not sitting down till 6:15. But I did get a lot done. We tried a new chicken and chestnuts recipe for dinner last night - not bad, but I'll modify it some next time, perhaps roasting the chestnuts before mixing them in with the chicken to bring out that full, rich flavor.

Monday is usually a SRD for me, but we've apparently got a nor'easter coming in tomorrow, with rain in the forecast for the rest of the week, so I wanted to get out while the getting was good/dry (keeping Twocat's rule in mind). However, I didn't know it was going to be 15F with the WC at 2. So I put on an extra shirt under my windbreaker, and some liner gloved inside my mittens. I kept the pace up to keep my body furnace working and had a good time out there. Tonight, we're having a neighborhood meeting about that failed dam that the beavers are keeping functioning. It'll be interesting to hear everyone's opinion on what we can/should do to convince the town to rebuild the dam.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Good morning! I think I forgot that I had returned to posting here last week, oops. I have to remember to come here more often, it's a good place...

Still barely running as I work through this reverse taper period, week two down so far. Yesterday I did 7.8 very gentle miles, and going over that one hour mark seemed to be what satisfies me the most. Ah well, hope to swim a bit today, and and I'll look forward to getting my schedule sometime later today.

I saw from the November monthly totals thread (thanks once again Wildchild for keeping that going, I've missed contributing to it!), that Stumpy had a HUGH 17 minute marathon PR! Woohoo, congrats! Which race was it? Bit by bit, I'm going to try to catch up here. Smile

Thanks for the start Jay, and have a greta week everyone!

Dave59

Just a trip to the gym today.  Tomorrow I run!

It's Monday the 8th, I am, I am.

I got married to the widow next door
        She's been married seven times before
        And every one was an Henry (Henry)
        She wouldn't have a Willie or a Sam (no Sam)
        I'm her eighth old man, I'm Henry
        Monday The Eighth I am!

(Song popped into my head this morning so I thought I'd share.)

mrrun

Morning all!  Off to yoga this morning then aware of the nor'easter that Jay mentioned, got home, changed, checked on where Henry was running, so ran out met him, then ran around our local reservoir.  Altho it was 19 (WC??), the only part of me that was cold was my toes because I had the wrong socks on!

(((heal quickly all those with hurts)))

Dave - always liked the song!

Enjoy the week everyone,

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Afternoon!

I fully intended to do my weights workout this morning, but got sidetracked working remotely on some deeds and affidavits that got sprung on me at the last minute, and then went in early so I could get out early to pick up DD from BB practice.

So, nothing, nada for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

We even have Herman's Hermits this morning!  Thanks Dave.

Echogram on the heart this morning and no news about that. I imagine the doc will look at it, compare it with last year's and call me if he sees anything interesting.  Tapping foot here.

So I took a day off because I'm tired anyway and this stuff stresses me out.

Today I wrote about why people can't qualify for Boston.  Feel free to add your own reasons, as I expect to comment on this some more.

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2014/12/3-big-reasons-why-you-cant-qualify-for-boston.html/

Spareribs

janie b good

Monday, Monday ... happy birthday to Jim Morrison!

3.30 t'mill miles.

spinning at 7pm tonite (the fun continues!).

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Thanks, Dave! Now that darned song is stuck in my head again...

Ramping up on my knee now, but maybe it's a bit too soon? I did spinning this morning, but kept the tension setting low and only stood on the pedals a couple of times. When I did, I felt the barest sensation of soreness, so quickly backed off. I changed my mind about running tomorrow but might do an easy one on Wednesday with a similarly recovering friend. The loop around the lake is gently rolling and our regimen will be to mostly walk and only run the downhills.

I hope everyone else is off to a good start this week. I can see that, like myself, everyone gets extra busy at this time of year and there's less time for checking in here as often as usual.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dave - I guess we're okay but maybe henrun better be careful.

Most of us will never be tom whites or bregers

but we can all pretend when off and running by ourselves.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Slo

I'll be, Thanks Janie!

When I was in Paris the tour group left for the Louvre Museum...I struck out on foot to find Jim Morrison's grave.

5 miles...got icy towards then end and ended up walking about 1/2 mile home.

Had the day off...bored...made some shortbread cookies. Buttery yummy!

Good afternoon to everyone.  Happy Monday. Good of the East coasters to beat the storm and stay dry ala twocat style.  Ribs, how the test is normal and nothing more to get stressed about.  Hi OrangeMat, good to see you pop in today. I wish I could run, swim and bike but am still home recuperating from foot surgery.  I try to stay off of it most of the time but today was not so good.  I was up early and made the most of my time before I took a bit of a rest.  I baked Spritz cookies, turtles (with rolos/pretzels/pecans), pecan pie bars. The sugar cookies are mixed up chilling in the fridge.  Supper is pork chops in mushroom gravy with potatoes, I found that in the freezer.  My piano tuner/repair man came at noon and finally all is fixed with the buzzing problems.  It's been over a year and I hate to complain all the time, besides the service work is out of Sioux Falls and I bought the piano in Minneapolis.  It was weird to get a Merry Christmas hug from the guy when he left, he is quite friendly and we do chat quite a bit.

This afternoon I was supposed to rest but ended up basting a quilt together.  It is just a small baby quilt, about 60" square, but still takes time to get the batting cut, pieced together and then all pinned together.  MrStarr cleaned and rearranged the office in the basement.  Wow, does that look so much better. We should have taken before/after pictures.  We use the area for an extra bedroom when company comes so that was the reason to get started.  Last weekend he organized the store room, shed and the garage.  Nice!

Hoping that I can start walking and get this boot off my foot on Thursday after my doctor appointment.  I am sort of looking forward to getting back to work too!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

10 miles on the treadmill in 1:19:24.  I have really become a whimp!  It's not even cold out.  I just didn't want to deal with the wind.  But, I've been watching videos on my iPad and have really been enjoying that.  Tonight was Born to Run: The Secrets of Kenyan Athletics.  If I could do anything I wanted to do, I would quit my job and train kids to run.  Not to be world class athletes--although, that would be cool--but just to be with kids who want to run.  I go for runs, sometimes, dreaming of creating a cross country course where kids could come and train and schools could have their meets.

Okay--sorry--I could go on about my dreams forever.  See ya!