Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 8.12.14 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Some folks just live heroic lives deep inside the ordinary, every day.

This is true beyond words, AAmos. There are many folks on this forum who fit that description, and I know we all have other people in our lives who quietly do some very heavy lifting, day after day. People who have that strength leave me speechlessly in awe.

Gave my trophy to the daughter; her smiles are so wonderful and joyful.

I love this. This gesture has to be much more memorable and rewarding that taking that trophy home and putting it on your shelf!

Aren't there laws about texting while running, Ribs?

"ps jay - nice to get to watch the speedsters so frequently. Do they just have the faster cadence or longer strides of younger runners or is form so different?"  Tet, the biggest difference is faster cadence: I may walk at 120+/- strides/minute. These guys are easily over 200. That differential is HUGE!

I hope your MIL has a great 90th birthday celebration, Roch. And I hope you find some time to get a run or two in.

Tselbes, I'm so glad you are going to the Crim, and that your daughter is giving you a brick - thank goodness you won't have to carry it during the race! Oh - and what Stumpy and Holly said too!

Tweaked is better than injured, BTY - please keep it that way. I wouldn't say you failed - you accomplished a lot, just not quite as much as you wanted to. That's not failure in my book.

Not all runs are pretty, Deeze, but they all still count. Nice 14er in less than ideal conditions.

I agree, Mike: Robin Williams' passing is very sad in many ways.

The fact that Francesca completed her 6-day 3 months after cancer surgery makes the accomplishment even more amazing. I'm very glad she viewed it as a celebration of life.

Good job of continuing the taper, Evanflein.

Sad story about your brother, Steve, but it seems that you weren't surprised by the events or the outcome. All one can do is try to be helpful. I hope the oncologist doesn't catch anything on his 'fishing expedition.'

I went 3.2 easy & Garmin-free RW miles this morning in 67F temps, and under a bright and near-fool moon. Two things I have to work on after Sunday's race are more hip rotation (as my DW told me after watching me and the other racers), and faster turnover. Since this was a recovery workout, I worked on the hip rotation, and will focus on turnover rate on another day. It was interesting that a bit more hip rotation made me feel like I had a lot more power, even at an easy pace. It's going to be fun to try to put it all together in time for my next race.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Morning Jay and all to follow.

You're a good guy Steve. Perhaps one day your brother will notice and act accordingly. All the best on the Dr. visit and here's hoping it turns out to be nothing.

That Francesca is one tough cookie. Inspirational.

Was sad to hear about Robin Williams. He was a very talented entertainer but seemed a troubled soul. I hope that his death might bring more attention to depression and hopefully will cause more people to reach out for help when needed.

Ran my 2 recovery miles this morning and will get a better workout later.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dave59

RE: Francesca's 6 days at the Dome run. Here is what she posted on Facebook today.

Three months ago I got diagnosed with cancer and major surgery followed.
        Yesterday I completed my first post surgery race and I covered over 300 miles. Every step I took in the Dome for the entire 6 days was a celebration of life. 
        Thank you to all the fellow runners, aid station workers, race people and everybody involved who made it such a special place, and thank you to all the friends who followed and supported from afar.

Gives me a whole new perspective on things today.  And I can't even tell what the new perspective is exactly.  Just a sense of awe.

Today was the group hill workout.  My best one yet.  First time I did the whole workout that includes 3 sets of 5 hill repeats.  7.17 miles @ 8:55 pace.  Felt strong the whole way.  It feels good to be getting some speed back even though I don't care like I used to and it isn't a goal.

I feel so good after the Tuesday runs that I want to come back, quit work, and just lay around and enjoy the endorphins.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Steve--glad your brother's visit cost you little other than cash.  Some of my best fishing trips involved not catching anything--hoping yours is the same.

Francesca is amazing.  really can't add anything more than that.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...I wasn't going to post today,

but one of our Greatest Stand-Up Comedians has taken his own life...............just can't get my head around that...........

===========

20-min x-bike standing

...............good running guys...............Remember What It's About, and Help Each Other..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

Steve--glad your brother's visit cost you little other than cash.  Some of my best fishing trips involved not catching anything--hoping yours is the same.

Francesca is amazing.  really can't add anything more than that.

Good Morning!

...and i can't add anymore to Kevin's expressions above, except to add that in my limited experience with families and schizophrenic relatives, it seems often the case the person with the mental health issues really loves his/her siblings, but when up close on a daily basis, becomes increasingly frustrated at observing the siblings engaging in regular daily life without being derailed at every other turn.  Thus the "hate" that is expressed can be a form of love laced with painful envy and anguish.  As I don't have to tell you, many  folks with schizophrenia are very intelligent.  (Kurt Vonnegut wrote about his situation on occasion; his son was diagnosed around age 17).

And I'm very sad over the news about Robin Williams.  We really do not understand depression, do we?  It seems to be rampant, and yet I've not heard about any medication being without some significant side effects.  Treatment without medication (e.g., "learned optimism") doesn't seem to cut it, does it?    Is there more depression in the US than other countries?  I'm wondering if it has anything to do with our sense of entitlements?

Despite new shoes (old model, just an errant seam on the right shoe of  new pair I'll have to return today) biting me enough to give me a bloody sock (always a badge of honor for Sox fans), managed 9 miles this am under a still brilliant moon at an 8:30 pace (and the first mile was well over 9....which makes me appreciate Jay's 10 minute mile pace race walking. Wink  Last 4 miles for me were 8:17, 8:15, 8:12 and 7:57.

Have a good day; hope you find some little discovery, occurence or memory to celebrate.  Light candles at supper or treat yourself to something.  I know you deserve it.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Some of my best fishing trips involved not catching anything--hoping yours is the same.

I love this....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

in my limited experience with families and schizophrenic relatives, it seems often the case the person with the mental health issues really loves his/her siblings, but when up close on a daily basis, becomes increasingly frustrated at observing the siblings engaging in regular daily life without being derailed at every other turn.  Thus the "hate" that is expressed can be a form of love laced with painful envy and anguish.  As I don't have to tell you, many  folks with schizophrenia are very intelligent.  (Kurt Vonnegut wrote about his situation on occasion; his son was diagnosed around age 17).

And I'm very sad over the news about Robin Williams.  We really do not understand depression, do we?  It seems to be rampant, and yet I've not heard about any medication being without some significant side effects.  Treatment without medication (e.g., "learned optimism") doesn't seem to cut it, does it?    Is there more depression in the US than other countries?  I'm wondering if it has anything to do with our sense of entitlements?

Very well put...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Not much time to post before I get back to work, but I do have a question - I am thinking of doing the Canton City Marathon on 9/7/14, three weeks before the VT 50k, as my last big LR.  Anyone think that is not doable?

6 miles for me this morning with various fartleks ranging from .25 mile to 1.0 mile, 3 miles total of faster paces.  I suppose I ought to get organized and disciplined about interval running, but just haven't managed the gumption lately....

Weight training class after work with my friend Renee.

King of PhotoShop

First off, happy birthday to Stumpy, although he is always mean to me here, almost as bad as Tet.

Speaking of Tet, I'll be in Seattle some time in October. How much beer do you drink Tet?

That Francesca is something, isn't she?

SteveP, you have a big heart.

Ran 4.5 with the Saint this morning.  In our 4th mile I said "let's pick it up just a little, for about half a mile."  She did it in 4:13, or 8:26 pace, and she was amazed she could do that.  She's really getting better every day. So proud of her.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

rare thunder and lightening derailed another planned super moon dip.
                        Jay - I always wondered why my overhand never could get me swimming faster than regular sidestroking, . . . until watching the turnover rates of the elites with arms churning like eggbeaters.  However, 200 steps/minute is in the eggbeater range too.  Same for the Tour d’France riders on the hors de categorie climbs.
                        ps evan - thanks for your wisdom too.

I’ll add it to the “h” one I don’t like to use either cause, of course,

I mean the opposite and that’s what I’ll say from now on.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Speaking of Tet, I'll be in Seattle some time in October. How much beer do you drink Tet?

I hope it works out.

In particular, I'm as good at pretending I'm drinking beer as I am at pretending I'm running but some of the current and past gang should more than make up for any deficiencies in that regard.  However, I foresee many toasts along with the table dumped full of seafood, vegetables, potatoes, bread and other calorie and fat-laden offerings at the waterfront Crab Pot down by Divechief's place. .  .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

mrrun

Happy Birthday Stumpy -   Hope it's a wonderful day for you!!!

early morning 8 miler with pink sunrise to east and super moon to west.

shout-outs to everyone else!

marj

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

First off, happy birthday to Stumpy, although he is always mean to me here, almost as bad as Tet.

Thank you, but that's a pretty lofty aspiration.  I'm just looking out for my fellow CESF alumna.  Who IS running very well.  Could it be the coach?

ETA:  nice 8, Marj--sorry I missed the sights this morning.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Not much time to post before I get back to work, but I do have a question - I am thinking of doing the Canton City Marathon on 9/7/14, three weeks before the VT 50k, as my last big LR.  Anyone think that is not doable?

6 miles for me this morning with various fartleks ranging from .25 mile to 1.0 mile, 3 miles total of faster paces.  I suppose I ought to get organized and disciplined about interval running, but just haven't managed the gumption lately....

Holly, go for it!  3 weeks before VT would be a great time for a last long run before taper.  I'm doing a 50k trail race on Sept 6th, which is actually 34 miles.   And I'm with you on needing to start speed work.  I think I'll do hill repeats, instead of just running hills the regular way, which in my case is slowly, with lots of walk breaks...

Francesca is amazing, isn't she?  300 miles, 3  months after surgery for cancer.  What an inspiration! 

Steve, it must be so hard for you and your DW to deal with your brother,  but you did the best for him that you could.  I hope he somehow manages to turn his life around.  And best of luck with the oncologist visit. 

Aamos  -  your posts are always so delightful!   One of these days we really have to meet for a run!

Happy Birthday to Stumpy!  And a prime number award - 59  years old! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.