Masters Running

April 23....Wednesday (Hump Day) daily (Read 522 times)

Happy Hump Day The Michigan Democratic primary is finally over. How many states do we have left? The Bosox come from behind for another win......a habit that makes them look strong. Baseball continues. The NBA and NHL continue their playoffs for another month or so. The NFL starts their draft 4 days before the draft begins. Huh? Schools enter their final couple of months....the difficult ones where minds wander A Pinellas County, Florida woman walked into her kitchen to find a 9 foot alligator who had wandered in. Gulp. Definitely the time to say...."See you later alligator!!" With all of this said, this is a great time of year to reevaluate your goals......personally, for your family, financially, and for running. In your running, maybe you are coming off a big marathon (ahem) and it is time to think about how you want to approach the rest of the year. Or...maybe you are a runner who has never attempted a marathon, but this past week has motivated you to set that goal......So do it! Or...maybe you had hoped to be running better than what you are in 2008, but find yourself not there....now is the time to adjust that goal. Or...maybe you realize you could increase your goal for the year but haven't adjusted to do so.....Do it now! Whatever your situation, this is just a good time in the year to evaluate, adjust, reset, and go for your goals. Evaluate......adjust......set the plan......commit. Without solid goals, you will not be as fulfilled nor as effective in being all that you can be. Don't be like the cowboy who jumped on his horse and rode off in all directions at once. You need to know where you are going. Let us know what YOUR goals are for the rest of 2008. We want to help and be that accountability group that allows you to soar. Have a great day everyone.
    Vista
      So true Vista. I run much better, and with more committment, when I have a Goal out there. 3.5 GA miles this morning at 9:10 min/mile pace. Avg HR 137. Everyone have a great day. And listen to Vista! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

While I am in recovery mode I take one planned day off a week and today is it because I work this morning then fly home this afternoon. Dinner with dg and Roch was great fun. Roch picked a fish restaurant within walking distance from my hotel and it couldn't have been better. They arrived at about the same time and we chatted a bit, then sat down. dg is a knockout! Glad Roch was there to protect her from me. Let's see, the gamut of topics: race cars (Roch used to race those rails years ago, can you imagine 200 mph in 1/4 of a mile?), motorcycles, Patrick O'Brian, Jane Austen, the Boston results, all of our injuries, the Crim, future races and training. Much fun. Thanks to both of you for keeping this old guy company on another trip. Now I get to add two more masters runners to my traveling list of those I have met here. Bard's birthday today everyone. Read a sonnet. What an inspiring report by Perch. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Fun, fun weekend, but boy is it good to be back in my own bed, and I sure missed my little tykes. Picked up DD on the way home from the airport yesterday and she sobbed in the car all the way home, “Don’t you EVER, EVER leave me like that again, Mommy!” Lots of snuggles later, life is back to normal. Busy, busy week with details still to finalize on the 2 house closings this Friday, and 2 days of work to catch up on, but I’ll try to get caught up on the forum in between. I cannot express how awesome it was to meet so many Boomers in person this weekend. You people are even more wonderful in real life! My DH is in complete agreement when I say, if any of you have any reason to come to our corner of the world, say for the AF Marathon, Flying Pig, Columbus Marathon, (or whatever else might bring you to Dayton, Ohio), you are more welcome to stay at our house. 5 recovery-paced miles (ave 10:30) in a lovely 55 degrees. Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning Boomers. Another cross training day for me. 5.5 miles on the eliptical trainer in 40 minutes with some leg and ab work. An absolutely gorgeous day here this morning - one of those where you really have to fight from "playing hooky." Holly - welcome home! Now that Boston is over, you have other issues to occupy your time - houses, moving, etc. Sounds like your kiddles really missed you. Whenever we took a trip without kids, coming home was always worth at least 3 or 4 days of good behavior before they started fighting, making messes, etc. again. Spareribs - your job involves a lot of travel, but you sure get to meet some great people! Sounds like you had a wonderful dinner with Roch and dg last night. Vista - saw the picture of that alligator on the news this morning. That thing was huge! How did it get in the house, anyway? I guess sometimes there are advantages to living in a cold weather state! Good Wednesday runs, everyone. Jeanne

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks Vista for those words of wisdom. I am excited because this will be my first season of just run racing instead of triathlons and cycling races...the more I run, the more I love it. I have another 5K this Sat which I hope to PR and looking forward to some good racing. I ultimately want to build up to my first Marathon this fall, but basically going through a Marathon training cycle now. Nice 3.5 GA miles Bill...always love to read about your runs, and your experience. Have a nice rest day SR....glad you had a good time at dinner with dg and roch Smile Always love your insightful advice and help to anyone willing to listen about improving their running....and staying injury free. So great to hear from you Holly...atleast this is the first time I have seen you post since Boston. It was soooo much fun here, with all of us tracking you, and all the other master / boomer's. Wow, you are back to running already Smile Sounds like you are going to be a busy girl the next few days...good luck with the house closings Smile 42 miles of cycling miles last night with some roadie friends....I felt super strong and my friends are wondering why I am doing so well, and not cycling near as much as them....I just tell them my running all winter is paying off nice dividends whether cycling or running. I did get one cycling bud out last Sat during my 16 miler, and he ran 5 miles with me...but he was hurting, but said he enjoyed it and he should run more. It's kinda cool at work because there are at least 9 people out of 80 here that are walking or jogging around the dealership during lunch, trying to lose weight and get into shape. They are always asking me for tips and advice which I am always more than willing to give....they seem to get so inspired when they ask about my runs, and my hugh wieght loss years ago. Well, happy hump day....and running all...or what ever the day brings to you Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Renee the dog

Checking in with a morning run of 3 mi at 26:09. My first attempt at a tempo run. Think I did it right -- 1/2 mi warm up 2 mi @ 8:30 pace, 1/2 mi finish. I've spent the last 3 years just running for the joy of it, and keeping my competitive spirit in check. Now, I'm getting the fever to start to compete against myself and will be putting more attention to details in my workouts. Tongue Holly, I can only imagine the sobs! I've never left my kids yet either. (Though I sure fantasize about it regularly!) Good runs to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Lots of race reports to read this week. 8.02 miles of hills @ 9:08 pace...it was hard to get started today but felt great at the end. Smile Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Yesterday LaVita called me fast. I think I have a new best friend.
                      BikeTm said: "Bill...always love to read about your runs, and your experience."
                      Experience? I've only been running for less than 3 years. You're the one with the experience. Shocked Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

0525 61 F overcast 4 miles Mile 1: 10:02 Mile 2: 9:51 Mile 3: 10:06 Mile 4: 9:38 Yesterday I ran a BRICK. Today I know why it is called a BRICK. My legs felt like BRICKS. Craney, I call them as I see them.
                        LaVita
                          Ah, yes. "My Dinner with Spareribs." He was mainly interested in going over all the forum gossip that he is privy to. Really, some of you should be ashamed! We tried to get DaveinAA to show up, but he had some lame excuse about being at an observatory in Santiago, Chile. I think it's just that he's already met Ribs (TheSaint deserves immediate beatification). But, truth be told, we all had a great time! Big grin Did 3 miles this morning at a 10:15 pace, with a fastest mile at 10:00 under clear skies in the high 50s. So I'm making good progress, and this was back on my normal hilly route for the first time this year. This is still unbelievable weather for Michigan at this time of year; if only it would last... Good running, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #3309

Experience? I've only been running for less than 3 years. You're the one with the experience. Shocked Bill
                            Alright Bill....do you want to go out back and settle this man to man Big grin Actually, this is my first year of serious running, at least long distances. One of the things I have learned is the easy recovery miles you talk about, which I have a hard time following at times Embarrassed Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning! That was a great way to start the forum today Vista. You have a great way with words. LaVita - when are you coming into the area for your fall race? Maybe we can figure something out! Roch - you missed the news while on vacation. I actually signed up for the Detroit Marathon this fall!! Shocked The alarm startled me this morning - normally I am awake well before it goes off. I left Brinkley home today - just felt like running my own run today. It was a good choice too as there were a lot of animals out this morning!! I went and had my body fat and measurements/weight taken last night. I will not be eating for a while now . . . . Undecided I thought it'd be fun . . . . ha! Happy Hump Day! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, didn't I warn everybody in yesterday's post? They're doing it to me again! Get this from Evanflein last night: "Speaking of Boomer meetings, had an excellent time tonight meeting so many... WRFB (who makes excellent beer, btw), PDR, La Tortuga (who also makes excellent dark beer) and her DH, Wi Fi Tim and his wife, Perch (ok, already met him) and his DH, PBJ and Long Suffering... and the PBJ'sters, BTB (who is every bit as kind and generous in person as online), Hally Barb, rtravers (my sister in run-by-effort running), irunmike (who posts on KR), Ilene and Fast Forward (more relay buddies), and Holly and her husband Jim. What a treat." Okay, rant number one: I met the Beers in Washington, D.C. recently, and did they bring me any beer? No. They brought a camera. A CAMERA! So instead of getting any free beer, I have to look at pictures of beer and the Beers. Rant number two: Robin Travers. I LOVE Robin Travers. But do I get to see her, party around with her, drink beer with her? NO! I'll probably have to look at pictures of everybody else having a good time with her, but not me. (And she had on the '08, very sexy official Boston Marathon, royal blue, v-neck tech shirt too. Is she cool or what?) Rant number three: Never met PBJ or the family, Steve Perch, BTB, IrunMike, Ilene, or any of the spouses. And did anybody post that they are all up there saying, "Gee, I wish Spareribs were here."??? NO! I'll probably have to look at pictures and imagine what it would be like to be there. Spareribs
                                Golly, Spareribs, my husband and I seem to be the only ones on the list that you DON’T want to meet...... Shocked BTB – beautiful pics of you and Amy on Sunday’s daily. Do you know that mile 20 was the mile I ran for Amy, and during that mile I spent time in prayer for Amy, her family, and other courageous children like her, and suddenly I looked up and saw YOU, running with PJH. I don’t think it was a coincidence that I ran into Amy’s angel during her mile. Smile You are a beautiful man, Bob, and my DH wanted me to especially tell you that you are ALWAYS welcome in our home.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."